Thread: [Deck] BRx Dragon Combo- Evolution

Threaded View

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

[Deck] BRx Dragon Combo- Evolution

I've been testing this deck for quite a while now. It functions similarly to BR Reanimator but I haven't posted a real thread for the deck until I had enough testing. Anyways I think this deck is extremely powerful in the metagame since the Deathrite banning. Here's the list I've been tweaking and what I settled on.

I've piloted this deck to multiple 1st place weeklies and a couple monthly victories as well. The deck feels extremely smooth and powerful/underlooked I feel.

4x Griselbrand
    4x Dance of the dead
    4x Animate dead
    4x Reanimate
    4x Unmask
    4x Entomb
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Collective Brutality
    3x Worldgorger Dragon
    1x Oona, Queen of the Fae
    4x Grief

4x Gier Reach Sanitarium
    3x Piranha Marsh
    9x Swamp

4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Feed the Swarm
    4x Rotting Regisaur
    2x EE
    1x Vilis

Updated as of 9/28/21

So basically what we're trying to do here is get WGD or Griselbrand into the yard via discard or Entomb then bring back with enchantment effects. Sunscorched Desert and Piranha Marsh instantly end the game on a Dragon loop. Oona is there strictly if you have already made your land drop for the turn you combo with Dragon then Entomb for Oona. Ideally you want to Reanimate Griselbrand first...draw 14 then Combo off the same turn and kill them via Dragon loop.

Some card expanation choices:

Petal: Enables a first turn combo a pretty decent amount of the time. Great to draw off Griselbrand
    Dark Ritual: Turbo Enabler in the deck. Absolutely vital to what this deck wants to do.
    Griselbrand: Arguably the best animation target in the game aside from Dragon :D
    Worldgorger Dragon: The combo enabler...a card that will immediately end the game upon animation.
    Oona, Queen of the Fae: This card is vital to being able to combo when you already made your land drop for the turn. Also lets us win through Blood Moon.
    Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead: Neccessary combo pieces to bring back Dragon. 1/2 the combo.
    Necromancy: I was running this card as a 2 of but I felt one was suited better and less clunky. Good instant speed combo enabler.
    Entomb: 1 mana Tutor for your combo creatures seems decent and broken.
    Piranha Marsh: Where it's unfortunate this land comes into play tapped...it produces black mana and does enabler the combo. I will admit it's my least favorite card in the deck... but it's a neccessary evil.
    Sunscorched Desert: Comes into untapped. Loops via Dragon for immediate death
    Badlands: Dual lands are neat. Neccessary for Lootings
    Gemstone Mine: Rainbow Land that resets on each Dragon Loop. Great card for our sideboard that allows us to have any colored mana on the first turn.
    Swamp: I'm at 2 basic swamps atm...I feel that's correct. It's good to play around Wasteland.
    Unmask: Free discard or combo enabler. An absolute must as a 4 of.
    Cabal Therapy: Arguable the best card in the deck. You always want to sacrifice your Griselbrand after drawing 14 to it if you can combo off that turn. Very powerful Discard Spell and combo enabler.
    Faithless Looting: This card is awesome and sometimes frustrating to play. But it's Necessary in Reanimator decks.

Sideboard is up to the user really but I found Assassin's Trophy and Nature's Claim to be absolutely stellar additions.

I'll most a quick matchup reference for anyone curious

Stax: Favorable 60/40: Winning the die roll here is almost a garunteed g1 victory. G2 and G3 we get a ton of artifact and enchantment removal. I have never had much trouble with this MU.

Delver: Slightly Unfavorable 45/55: This MU is tough. If you have alot of permission to go with a fast clock you will have a hard time. You need to be patient and fetch out basics if they're on a Wasteland variant

Grixis Control: Favorable 55/45: I've found this matchup to for sure be in our favor. If they dont draw a turn 2 Hymn followed up with a Thoughtseize we generally will get there. Play around Surgical g2/g3

Elves: Favorable 75/25: I don't think Elves can possibly beat this deck. It's essentially a goldfish. Bring in ways to play around surgical g2/g3. And removal for Ooze.

Miracles: Even 50/50: I find g1 to definitely go in the Dragon players favor. g2/g3 Are a bit harder because of Snapcaster/Surgical bring in your pact of Negations to fight them.

Turbo Lands: Favorable 60/40: I find this matchup to be abyssal for Turbo Lands. We are just too fast for them. Their best hope is a turn 2 combo with multiple thoughtseize effects.

Death's Shadow: Unfavorable 40/60: I find this MU to be the hardest for Dragon. Between maindeck Reanimates...Thoughtseize plus a very fast clock it is a very difficult MU to play through. Hope to avoid this MU.

D&T(Death and Taxes) Favorable 55/45: G1 we almost have a fairly garunteed victory here. Karakas doesn't do anything here and you just have to Therapy swords for dragon basically. Be careful of Vial on Flickwisp to disrupt the combo.

Sneak and Show Favorable 55/45: Basically try to discard their Griselbrand via Unmask or Therapy and bring it back. We are a turn or two faster and Show/Tell for them is really bad.

Storm Favorable 60/40: We are a turn or two faster on average. We can destroy their hand with Therapy and Unmask. I find this MU to be comfortable for Dragon

BR Reanimator Even 50/50: Win the die roll g1 is all I can say. Whoever is on the play generally will take game 1 due to the explosiveness of both decks. Chancellor is a bit of an annoyance but it's not impossible. In general I'd say this matchups a coin flip.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks for reading!

-Rood
    Last edited by Rood; 09-28-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Thread Information