Page 300 of 332 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301302303304310 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 6,000 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I think WL is right.

Fanatic first means Anurid T3, so alphastryk can cast something before that.

Asthereal OTD
    T1 Inkmoth / Fanatic
    T2 Tapped Dimir / Tapped Battleground
    T3 Demon's Disciple (kills Disciple & Fanatic)

Now if Asthereal ever taps out for Anurid Scavenger, then Rishadan Cutpurse will kill it.
    If Asthereal does nothing, alphastryk attacks with Inkmoth Nexus to win.
    Either way, Win for alphastryk

I notice somewhere else you said Demon's Disciple must be 2nd. That's not true. It's preferred to be 2nd (sacrifice 1/1 Cutpurse and keep 3/1), but it can be cast first to trade 1-for-1. Trading is fine because of Inkmoth Nexus.
    Asthereal sacrifices mountain?
    Cutpurse says "permanent". And then Anurid brings everything back.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I figured this was appropriate.
    Ah yes, that is definitely appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Asthereal sacrifices mountain?
    Cutpurse says "permanent". And then Anurid brings everything back.
    I missed saccing the mountain in that line. If he plays Cutpurse first, I can pay for it. But if he plays it last, I sac mountain and through the Anurid get back Mountain, then Fanatic and just win.

Good catch.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Asthereal OTD
    T1 Inkmoth / Fanatic
    T2 Tapped Dimir / Tapped Battleground
    T3 Demon's Disciple (kills Disciple & Fanatic)

Now if Asthereal ever taps out for Anurid Scavenger, then Rishadan Cutpurse will kill it.
    If Asthereal does nothing, alphastryk attacks with Inkmoth Nexus to win.
    Either way, Win for alphastryk
    Cutpurse would get a mountain, not scavenger. I think this is WW for Asthereal.

Edit: ninjaed again, lmao. Need to start reloading the thread before submitting.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Apologies for not posting scores & analysis this time around - been crazy over here. From what I can tell you all were able to figure it out (even better than I would have as usual), much appreciated.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Apologies for not posting scores & analysis this time around - been crazy over here. From what I can tell you all were able to figure it out (even better than I would have as usual), much appreciated.
    Don't hesitate to drop a line here in case of crazy week, me - and doubtlessly few others - would be very happy to oblige and calculate the scores.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Don't hesitate to drop a line here in case of crazy week, me - and doubtlessly few others - would be very happy to oblige and calculate the scores.
    Thanks! I'll try to make sure I do that in the future

I'm amazed that Concealed Courtyard and Scrubland somehow got banned in the same round. Also Giver of Runes and Mother of Runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I appreciate this typo and wonder what Giver of Rules would actually do.
    Maybe the opposite of Rules Lawyer. Still not sure what that would be. Maybe like Frankie Peanuts, but you get to declare the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Thanks! I'll try to make sure I do that in the future
    Heh, I basically did that this week. I looked at most of my matches, saw that a few of them were super complicated and asked for help. I wasn't even planning to, but those matches were messes.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed, and I'm missing just FTW by the looks of things. I'll give you a bit mroe time while I do some work.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Deadline has passed, and I'm missing just FTW by the looks of things. I'll give you a bit mroe time while I do some work.
    Just a few minutes too slow!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And then work ended up being rather busy. But here's the penultimate round.

DECKS FOR ROUND 14 OF SEASON 11: Legacy Creatures & Lands Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    2. dte: Hall of Storm Giants, brazen borrower, Saprazzan Cove, rishadan dockhand
    3. Nasst: Blackcleave cliffs, Inkmoth Nexus, Shadow Guildmage, Acquisitions Expert
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler
    5. alphastryk: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Gilded Drake
    6. Reeplcheep: Glint Hawk, Krark-Clan Shaman, Ancient Den, Great Furnace
    7. Wrath of Pie: Hall of Storm Giants, Saprazzan Cove, Rishadan Dockhand, Frost Titan
    8. silkster: Stomping Ground, Orcish Lumberjack, Ravenous Baboons, Orcish Lumberjack
    9. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Inkmoth Nexus, Guul Draz Assassin, Pilfering Imp
    10. maxx!: Mountain, Fanatical Firebrand, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler
    11. PJim: Blooming Marsh, Magus of the Vineyard, Plaguecrafter, Dust Bowl
    12. FTW: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Beloved Chaplain

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Nasst: Blackcleave cliffs, Inkmoth Nexus, Shadow Guildmage, Acquisitions Expert

I couldn't find anything actually strong this round. But I was still stubborn and chose to play something new!

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    3-3

2. dte: Hall of Storm Giants, brazen borrower, Saprazzan Cove, rishadan dockhand
    3-3, unless there's some crazy line with dte OTD that I'm not seeing

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler
    4-1, I *almost* win OTD, but GoblinSmashmaster can use their Sidisi's faithful to bounce settler and force a lackey-settler trade.

5. alphastryk: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Gilded Drake
    6-0? I can't think this in depth right now, but I can't see lines where alpha wins.

3-3 I actually lose the race to glint hawk OTD

7. Wrath of Pie: Hall of Storm Giants, Saprazzan Cove, Rishadan Dockhand, Frost Titan
    0-6 Oh, wow, I actually lose OTD. if WoP just shows dockhand and hall, I die to frost titan on turn 12 before inkmoth can deal lethal on turn 13. Funnily enough I would win if I could activate guildmage's second abiility.

8. silkster: Stomping Ground, Orcish Lumberjack, Ravenous Baboons, Orcish Lumberjack
    3-3 I can lead with inkmoth OTD, but you can just keep hitting with lumberjack until I expose my cliffs. If I play expert, you just show the other lumberjack.

6-0, guildmage pulling its weight here

3-3! Firebrand preventing a draw when I'm OTD here. Nice tech!

4-1, I... think this is a draw when I'm OTD? I feel like I fall just short of a win.

12. FTW: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Beloved Chaplain
    6-0, when I'm OTD:

t1 hall - guildmage
    t2 pools - expert, bounce guildmage in response, I take chaplain
    t3 counter - replay guildmage hit for 1 (19/20) (1 counter)
    t4 counter - hit for 2 and 1 poison, (17[1]/20) (2 counters)
    t5 counter - hit for 2 and 1 poison (15[2]/20) (3 counters)
    t6 counter - hit for 2 and 1 poison (13[3]/20) (4 counters)
    t7 counter - hit for 2 and 1 poison (11[4]/20) (5 counters)
    t8 counter - hit for 2 and 1 poison (9[5]/20) (6 counters)

I think I'm fast enough. In theory you could eventually trade borrower for nexus and stonewall both of my creatures with hall, but I think you don't have the time.

41! My worst performance yet. Probably some sort of firebrand list would have been best here.
    Last edited by Nasst; 02-16-2022 at 03:14 PM.

maxx!: Mountain, Fanatical Firebrand, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler

OTP I get your land. OTD I get your Welder with Firebrand and you have to trade Neonate for Lackey. 4-1

Absolutely bodied by a 1/2. 0-6

3. Nasst: Blackcleave cliffs, Inkmoth Nexus, Shadow Guildmage, Acquisitions Expert
    OTP you can't play around Settler. OTD you lead with Guildmage. If I play Lackey you ping it and I lose, so I play Firebrand and trade. You play Expert and take Lackey. 3-3

The "mirror", except this one is DD instead of WL. I can always stop your Lackey, but I can't ever get past your 0/4. 2-2

No 1/2s here. OTP you lose a land. OTD you can Drake my Lackey before he connects, and then you have plenty of time to bounce your Drake and build up mana. 3-3

Glint Hawk is sick tech. 0-6

Dockhand strikes again. 0-6

Two Lumberjacks! OTP I get your land. OTD your Baboons resolve. My land is a basic, but I can't beat a 2/2 and a 1/1. 3-3

OTP Lackey always gets a land and Firebrand always gets your first creature. OTD I can't ever drop Settler, so you've got too many threats. 3-3

This is me :]

I can't use the extra mana from Magus, but I can Firebrand him and lock you out of the rest of your deck. 6-0

Beloved Chaplain can't resolve until at least turn 3. You can bounce Lackey to buy a turn, but it's not enough. You have to spend a turn putting a storage counter on, and that gives me the window to attack with Lackey. 6-0

4+0+3+2+3+0+0+3+3+6+6 = 30

I spent a long time trying to come up with something yesterday, sent something that I wasn't totally satisfied with, and then last minute changed my submission to this. I thought Firebrand would be mostly the same as Sidisi's Faithful, with the added bonus of getting an extra point against Welder, and beating the Anurid Scavenger deck (which did not show up). I was hoping that there wouldn't be many 1-drops left with 2 health, but 2 Rishadan Dockhands and a Glint Hawk shut me down.

Feb 2014

I liked my last deck, but thought it was lacking something, and that it was fairly inelegant not to profit from having a manland that enter the battlefield untap. Also it seemed bad to potentially lose to lackey/settler OTD, I wanted a deck that 6-0 the "good decks I was expecting to see": lackey/settler, welder, anurid/firebrand. It seems I we were many to play similar decks (4?!?), so not so original, and maybe not so good.
    Basic plan is to port you, bounce whatever you played, port you out of replaying it, kill you with a 3/1 flyer, with a giant backup.
    Let's see:

6-0. Petty theft is terrible for welder.
    Edit: actually 3-3,cove means theft is not ready before T3, and OTD it means Welder can protect gearhulk.

Me.

I almost played that!
    3-3. I win easily OTP. OTD, I think it is pretty close but for you: You can deal 2 damages to me and 1 to you every turn, vs 1 counter on cove that translate to 7 damages every 7 turns. But you start, and are allowed a big shump block.

6-0. I do not care about losing hall. And if you do not want to play settler, I do not have to play cove, but I get to attack first.

6-0. Our borrower trade, but Gilded drake is dead while dockhand is very much alive. And trading is not good for you.

6-0. You can lose everything to get rid of dockhand, but that does not seem to good. borrower trade with hawk, and then we wait for the giant.

Another close mirror!
    Borrower is great here, contrarily to giant: Tapping cove ensures you cannot play giant, while borrower has flash and does not care about dockhand. But it is nice to see some giant theme!
    6-0

6-0. OTD, You get to kill hall. If you dont to save baboon for cove, I would tapp your land at upkeep. Cove will then play theft, bouncing boaboons, then faeries to kill.

When I am OTP, I prevent you to do anything but an assassin that will get bounced and not replayed.
    Me OTD, I lose borrower to imp, but dockhand tapping nexus at your upkeep prevents level up or poison, and you lose the race to giant.
    6-0

6-0. You cannot connect with lackey.

6-0. Me OTP, I tap marsh at upkeep, and you cannot bowl or plaguecrafter. Bouncing magus then faerie.
    Me OTD, many lines!
    you play magus, I can petty theft it. Then you replay it, I play rishadan, and can hold cove or not
    Holding cove, you have to play plaguecrafter, killing magus (you cannot attack into a 1/2) and rishadan (otherwise I would port you out of both bowl and plaguecrafter), then I play cove:
    plague/cove
    d17/c1
    d14/c2
    d11/c3
    d8/c4
    d5/c5
    d2/c6
    I die just one turn before being able to win (holding giant in defense, at some point EoT faerie when enough counters).

Now if T1 I play rishadan instead of petty theft, on your turn you can play bowl or plaguecrafter, or nothing.
    Bowl on hall, I play cove. Plaguecrafter, killing magus and rishadan. Theft on magus, win.
    Plaguecrafter, kill magus and rishadan. Cove, theft on magus, win
    Do nothing. Next turn I play cove and I port you at your upkeep, you cannot activate bowl or plaguecrafter, only attack for 1. 3 turns later, I bounce magus. Win.

I might have missed something?

2-2? what happens here? I can tap hall at some point, you can block giants forever. borrowers can kill each other. mmm. You can always attack me for 1, but as long as we do not have giant mana, I also can. When we do have giant mana, I can tap yours and attack you, so it is not prudent to attack with chaplain. I imagine there are plenty of choice and complicated things to do... But just after PJim's MU, I cant :) So I chalk up 2-2 for now. I am sure I cannot win (chaplain), not sure if FTW can find a way to kill me.

Edit, 56 after silkster's showing Welder 3-3 me.
    Last edited by dte; 02-16-2022 at 06:36 PM.

OTP I can make you discard Neonate, OTD your combo beats me. WL

I can't beat Dockhand. LL

Shadow Guildmage kills all of my creatures. LL

OTP I make you discard Goblin Settler, and then my threats are too much for you. OTD You play Lackey, then I play Inkmoth. If you destroy Inkmoth, I can play my 2 1/1s and trade with yours, so we draw. If you attack but don't destroy Inkmoth, I play Swamp and keep up its activation. You can't bounce anything with Sidisi's Faithful since my land is not a creature in your main phase, and you can't attack since I will trade Inkmoth for Lackey, so we trade. WD

OTP I use Pilfering Imp to make you discard Brazen Borrower, then I am just fast enough to win with Inkmoth since you can't play Gilded Drake without creatures in play and can only activate your land every 7 turns. OTD I think I lose but am not sure.

OTP I play Pilfering Imp, you play one of your creatures, then I make you discard the other. If you played the Glint Hawk, my Assassin levels up quickly enough to kill it and win. If you played the Shaman, you have to kill my Assassin, but that also kills your Shaman so I win with Inkmoth. OTD you play Glint Hawk, then I play Pilfering Imp. You play Shaman, then I play Assassin. You use the Shaman's ability to kill the Shaman and Assassin before it can level up enough to kill the Glint Hawk. If you attack with Glint Hawk, I double block with Pilfering Imp and Inkmoth to trade. We have no creatures left so we draw. WD

I can't beat Dockhand. LL

You can either play Ravenous Baboons without killing one of my lands or hold it in your hand and then I make you discard it with Pilfering Imp. Either way, you are too slow to kill me before my Assassin kills your creatures. WW

OTP I have 3 threats, and trade 2 of them for your Firebrand and Lackey before winning with the third. OTD you destroy my Swamp and I can't play anything. WL

OTP I play Pilfering Imp. If you play Magus, next turn I can sacrifice Pilfering Imp to make you discard Plaguecrafter. You can use Dust Bowl to kill my Inkmoth, but I can play Assassin and use the mana from Magus each turn to level up the Assassin, until it can kill your Magus and win. If you don't play Magus, I make you discard it with Pilfering Imp and you can't do anything else. OTD you play Magus, then I play Pilfering Imp. If you play Plaguecrafter, you sacrifice Magus and I sacrifice Pilfering Imp. I then play Assassin, and you don't have enough mana without Magus to activate Dust Bowl so I can level up Assassin and kill Plaguecrafter. If you don't play Plaguecrafter, it goes the same way as on the play so I win. WW

OTP I use Pilfering Imp to make you discard Brazen Borrower, then win the race with Inkmoth since I can chump block your land once with Assassin. OTD I don't think I can win if you Petty Theft my Pilfering Imp then play Beloved Chaplain so I can't make you discard anything. You can then flash in Brazen Borrower to trade with Inkmoth if I try to attack with it, and block Assassin forever with Chaplain even if I level it up. You eventually kill me with your land. WL

At this point I'm more going with new interesting decks than ones I've really thought through.
    Last edited by RoosterCocoa; 02-17-2022 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    OTP I make you discard Goblin Settler, and then my threats are too much for you. OTD I can play one creature, but then you destroy my Swamp and bounce the creature so I lose. WL
    You draw OTD. The line is:

1 - lackey / inkmoth nexus

option 1:

2 - blow up nexus / swamp, 1/1

Here your 1/1s will eventually trade with their 1/1s and its a draw. They can bounce settler or your creature, but not both, so they can't blow up your swamp.

option 2:

2 - attack with lackey but put nothing in play.

Here you go swamp, play nothing, and keep inkmoth activation open. They can't bounce it, since it's a land in their main phase, and you just stare at each other forever..

Round "what I should have played last time". Let's see how it goes.

Me. silkster: Stomping Ground, Orcish Lumberjack, Ravenous Baboons, Orcish Lumberjack

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk WL
    2. dte: Hall of Storm Giants, Brazen Borrower, Saprazzan Cove, Rishadan Dockhand LL, ouchy storage land.
    3. Nasst: Blackcleave cliffs, Inkmoth Nexus, Shadow Guildmage, Acquisitions Expert WL
    Ha, I had this exact deck on my list last week but with Mutavault instead of Nexus. I'm not sure which is better in general, though obviously Nexus is better when Mutavault is banned.
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler WL
    5. alphastryk: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Gilded Drake WW
    6. Reeplcheep: Glint Hawk, Krark-Clan Shaman, Ancient Den, Great Furnace LL, omg that's a lot of 1/1 hate
    7. Wrath of Pie: Hall of Storm Giants, Saprazzan Cove, Rishadan Dockhand, Frost Titan LL
    Me.
    9. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Inkmoth Nexus, Guul Draz Assassin, Pilfering Imp LL, basic :(
    I love how hard this deck loses to Asthereal's staple, but of course no one is going to play the Anurid because everyone sees it coming, right?
    10. maxx!: Mountain, Fanatical Firebrand, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler DL
    11. PJim: Blooming Marsh, Magus of the Vineyard, Plaguecrafter, Dust Bowl WL, Vineyard is bold. I like it.
    12. FTW: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Beloved Chaplain WW

8W, 1D, 13L = 25

This would have scored 50+ last round.
    At least this was easy to compute. I hope every single one-drop that got played this week gets banned, even though I know it can't happen.

A second land would have gotten 6 more points against the Dockhands, but the second Lumberjack gets 7 points against the Borrower and the Firebrand (I still expected more of them). I think that's it.

6-0. Petty theft is terrible for welder.

Me.
    I don't think Petty Theft is good here. On the draw, turn 2 Gearhulk is going to beatdown. If you try to Petty Theft it, it gets switched back into a land. If you bounce the Welder, the Gearhulk is much too fast. You still win on the play, but that's because of the Dockhand.

Also, you must have loaded the page at just the wrong time because I did my matches, posted, then when I went to enter it into the spreadsheet I noticed my error and deleted my entire post immediately (so that no one would reply to it while it had those errors that I had already found).

Feb 2014

@Rooster, not sure OTD but you win OTP vs alphastryk.

@Silk, I don't think you win vs me, even OTP. I bounce your baboon, you cannot replay it. And you have to take hall or I port you.

Edit @Silk, you are right about Welder, it is a 3-3. That's the trouble of playing cove rather than calciform pools. Was definitely worth it. And I was pretty fast!
    Last edited by dte; 02-16-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasst View Post
    You draw OTD. The line is:

1 - lackey / inkmoth nexus

option 1:

2 - blow up nexus / swamp, 1/1

Here your 1/1s will eventually trade with their 1/1s and its a draw. They can bounce settler or your creature, but not both, so they can't blow up your swamp.

option 2:

2 - attack with lackey but put nothing in play.

Here you go swamp, play nothing, and keep inkmoth activation open. They can't bounce it, since it's a land in their main phase, and you just stare at each other forever..
    I definitely missed that, thanks!

@Rooster, not sure OTD but you win OTP vs alphastryk.
    Thanks, I'd kind of assumed before that I'd have to make alphastryk discard the Gilded Drake.

Like squee, goblin lackey and goblin welder just won’t go away. I wanted a pinger that can also kill anurid scavenger in a pinch.

Pinged. WW
    Krak not hitting flyers hurts. LL

Disagreement, I can always discard ancient den and I am always ahead in the race. DD.
    Edit: it’s a party of 2. WL

I can ping or wipe the board later. WW

LL
    Not quite fast enough. LL
    I wipe your board once you play 2 creatures or race your first 1. WW
    9. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Inkmoth Nexus, Guul Draz Assassin, Pilfering Imp DL per above?
    I wipe your board once you play lackey. WW
    Kill your magus and then you don’t do much. WW

12. FTW: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Beloved Chaplain not fast enough LL

11W 1D 10L for 34/66
    The blue storage lands matchups were too much math so I assumed I was too slow, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-17-2022 at 02:27 PM.

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk WL
    2. dte: Hall of Storm Giants, brazen borrower, Saprazzan Cove, rishadan dockhand LL - I can't help it that Frost Titan is (flavorfully) slow.
    3. Nasst: Blackcleave cliffs, Inkmoth Nexus, Shadow Guildmage, Acquisitions Expert WW
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler WW
    5. alphastryk: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Gilded Drake WW - Frost Titan should get there on the draw without the help of Dockhand beforehand (play storage land first).
    6. Reeplcheep: Glint Hawk, Krark-Clan Shaman, Ancient Den, Great Furnace WW
    8. silkster: Stomping Ground, Orcish Lumberjack, Ravenous Baboons, Orcish Lumberjack WW
    9. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Inkmoth Nexus, Guul Draz Assassin, Pilfering Imp WW
    10. maxx!: Mountain, Fanatical Firebrand, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler WW
    11. PJim: Blooming Marsh, Magus of the Vineyard, Plaguecrafter, Dust Bowl WL - Nasst has your plan on the draw covered.
    12. FTW: Hall of Storm Giants, Calciform Pools, Brazen Borrower, Beloved Chaplain WW - You get to cast both Chaplain and Borrower, but Frost Titan still eventually taps down Borrower forever (attack trigger) while Dockhand taps down Hall to prevent it blocking. You die eventually thanks to manland activations, even if you prevent a lot of the damage. Bouncing Frost Titan is clever but fruitless in the face of Dockhand (I just store more mana to cast it twice).

18w = 54 points

Slow formats reward disrupting lands, and I figured Dockhand's time was overdue. (I also figured out how to make a 6-drop playable, which was nice. Turns out the good Titans are still premier options.)
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 02-17-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information