Page 280 of 332 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282283284290330 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,600 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    Utopia Mycon is a 0/2, so Fourth Bridge Prowler can't kill it with its etb. I think this means I win on the play, since you play Cabal Therapist, I play Utopia Mycon, and then I can hold off Chronomaton with Maze of Ith and block Fourth Bridge Prowler with Utopia Mycon so I eventually make enough tokens with Utopia Mycon to win.
    EDIT: Right. Let me check. (Did some math.) Looks like you're right.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

9. RoosterCocoa: Pendelhaven, Maze of Ith, Swarm Shambler, Utopia Mycon

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Cabal Therapist, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Chronomaton
    I can always get Utopia Mycon into play and then stall with Maze of Ith long enough to win with 1/1 tokens. WW

2. alphastryk: Crystal Vein, Elvish Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide, Lodestone Golem
    OTP I play a Swarm Shambler and hold Lodestone Golem off with Maze of Ith. Swarm Shamber eventually gets large enough to attack and win. OTD you play Lodestone Golem so I can't play creatures, but I can hold it off forever with Maze of Ith. WD

3. Reeplcheep: Devoted Druid, Vizier of Remedies, Savannah, Crawling Barrens
    I can hold off Crawling Barrens with Maze of Ith, and eventually get enough 1/1s from Utopia Mycon to win. If you try to attack with Vizier of Remedies, I block and trade with Swarm Shambler, so that doesn't help you. WW

4. Wrath of Pie: Taiga, Ancient Tomb, Mayor of Avabruck, Bonecrusher Giant
    I can't beat a flipped Mayor of Avabruck. LL

5. dte: Maze of Ith, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Murderous Rider
    You can never win because I have Maze of Ith, so you aim for a draw. I play Swarm Shambler, and grow it until it is a 20/20. If you use Swift End to kill it, then I can play Utopia Mycon and eventually get enough tokens to kill you in one attack. If you save Swift End, then once Swarm Shambler is a 20/20 I attack and force you to tap a Maze of Ith, and then play Utopia Mycon. You only have 2 untapped lands, so you can't play Swift End until your turn. On your turn, if you Swift End the Swarm Shambler, I eventually make enough 1/1s to win in one attack. If you Swift End the Utopia Mycon, then both of your Mazes are tapped so I win on my next turn by attacking with a 20/20 Swarm Shambler. WW

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Ancient Tomb, Kazandu Refuge, Magus of the Moon, Bonecrusher Giant
    I'm too slow to kill both creatures with tokens on the play, and don't get to keep any creatures on the draw. LL

7. FTW: Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Mishra's Factory, Mesmeric Fiend
    I always play Utopia Mycon first so Mesmeric Fiend can only take Swarm Shambler. I use Maze of Ith each turn to stop Mishra's Factory from attacking, and block one of your 1/1s with Utopia Mycon, which gives me enough time to produce 1/1 tokens to stall and eventually kill you. WW

8. PJim: Ancient Tomb, Walking Ballista, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype
    Walking Ballista kills my Swarm Shambler, and Utopia Mycon is too slow at producing tokens to kill a Lupine Prototype. LL

10. silkster: Taiga, Granger Guildmage, Chronomaton, Mogg Fanatic
    OTP I play Swarm Shambler. If you don't play Mogg Fanatic and sacrifice it to kill Swarm Shambler, then I will immediately grow Swarm Shambler and you can't beat that, so you play Mogg Fanatic and sacrifice it to kill Swarm Shambler. I then play Utopia Mycon. I can hold off Chronomaton with Maze of Ith, and can block Granger Guildmage with Utopia Mycon, so I can build up an arbitrary number of spore counters on Utopia Mycon. Once I have enough counters to create an arbitrarily large number of 1/1 tokens, I make them all at the end of your turn and kill you in one attack. OTD I can't force you to sacrifice Mogg Fanatic with Swarm Shambler, so instead I start with Utopia Mycon. On your turn 1 you play Granger Guildmage to prevent me from playing Swarm Shambler, on your turn 2 you play Mogg Fanatic, and on your turn 3 you play Chronomaton and force through 2 damage to me by attacking with Chronomaton and Mogg Fanatic on your turns 3 and 4. On my turn 4 I get a 1/1 token, and since I have Pendlehaven untapped you can't kill it with Granger Guildmage since I will pump it in response. If you attack with Mogg Fanatic, I will trade the token for it, so you can't force through more damage by attacking. This lets me stall and execute the same strategy I used OTP to win. If you try to kill me with Granger Guildmage's ability, this is slow enough and brings your life total low enough that I can create enough tokens with Utopia Mycon at the end of your turn to kill you. WW

11W 1D 6L = 34

Thallid was surprisingly good last round, but I was worried about people bringing ways to deal 1 damage so I went with Utopia Mycon instead. It seems to have been a good choice.
    Last edited by RoosterCocoa; 11-25-2021 at 07:41 PM.

GoblinMaxxmaster Results for Round 1/1s

Therapist :( 0-6

2. alphastryk: Crystal Vein, Elvish Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide, Lodestone Golem
    X/3 :( 0-6

Magus stomp! 6-0

Giant stare 2-2

Magus stomp! 6-0

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Ancient Tomb, Kazandu Refuge, Magus of the Moon, Bonecrusher Giant
    That's me taking maxx! deck

Giant stare 1-4

Magus stomp! 3-3

Magus stomp! 6-0

Giant stomp! 6-0

Total: 30 points

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Cabal Therapist, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Chronomaton LL
    2. alphastryk: Crystal Vein, Elvish Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide, Lodestone Golem WW
    3. Reeplcheep: Devoted Druid, Vizier of Remedies, Savannah, Crawling Barrens WW
    5. dte: Maze of Ith, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Murderous Rider DD - You have the issue of lacking a secondary threat to force the play into Swift End, so I expect winning to be difficult for you.
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Ancient Tomb, Kazandu Refuge, Magus of the Moon, Bonecrusher Giant DD
    7. FTW: Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Mishra's Factory, Mesmeric Fiend DL
    8. PJim: Ancient Tomb, Walking Ballista, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype LL
    9. RoosterCocoa: Pendelhaven, Maze of Ith, Swarm Shambler, Utopia Mycon LL
    10. silkster: Taiga, Granger Guildmage, Chronomaton, Mogg Fanatic LL

4w5d = 17 points

Politics failed me again! I think I scored a bit better against Thanksgiving food though, so that's nice.

Sorry everyone, 4CB completely slipped my mind this week due to the US Thanksgiving holiday. I should be around for next week.

3. Reeplcheep: Devoted Druid, Vizier of Remedies, Savannah, Crawling Barrens t3 combo kill now that magus is less playable. It still loses to most other things though.

1. Asthereal (TO): Swamp, Cabal Therapist, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Chronomaton LL
    2. alphastryk: Crystal Vein, Elvish Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide, Lodestone Golem I can beat t2 sphere but not t1. LL
    4. Wrath of Pie: Taiga, Ancient Tomb, Mayor of Avabruck, Bonecrusher Giant crush my Druid LL
    5. dte: Maze of Ith, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Murderous Rider DD if you play rider I have an infinitely big blocker. So we stare.
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Ancient Tomb, Kazandu Refuge, Magus of the Moon, Bonecrusher Giant Magus and x/2 removal LL
    7. FTW: Swamp, Fourth Bridge Prowler, Mishra's Factory, Mesmeric Fiend T2 discard beats t3 combo. LL
    8. PJim: Ancient Tomb, Walking Ballista, Lupine Prototype, Lupine Prototype I can untap druid in response to the ping of ballista. But you can always chump. LL
    9. RoosterCocoa: Pendelhaven, Maze of Ith, Swarm Shambler, Utopia Mycon Maze LL
    10. silkster: Taiga, Granger Guildmage, Chronomaton, Mogg Fanatic I can beat x/1 removal. But you can chump in that case. LL.

0 W 2 D 16 L. I am pretty sure non-functional decks have gotten more points.

Salty take: pre-banning tabernacle but not maze of ith is very inconsistent. It should be both or neither.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    5. dte: Maze of Ith, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Murderous Rider DD - You have the issue of lacking a secondary threat to force the play into Swift End, so I expect winning to be difficult for you.
    Indeed. In insight, I should probably have exchanged one of the mazes with a nexus, or simply play PJIM's deck :)

2-2

2-2

6-0. You make a big blocker, I attack. If you block, Rider dies and I can swift end druid. If you don't, you lose after 10 turns.

2-2

Me, not playing proactive at all.

0-6. Magus smash!

0-6

6-0. The only MU I had thought about. I expected to see many more of those, and of some hating on it!

0-6. The better maze deck. I must admit I am impressed by mycon.

6-0. If you do not play anything, I play a rider. maze holds chrono, if you block I swift end.

Sep 2011

I find Maze is only oppressive with Tabernacle. Maze can only answer 1 threat. It's worse than removal against anything that can go wide (Mayor, Thallid). Tabernacle is very good against going wide, but a single creature + land can get through. Both combined is hard to play around.

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Murderous Rider would have scored 14 more points than dte's deck (38), only missing the 6-0 against discard and Magus. With just double Maze it loses steam.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinMaxxmaster Results for Round 1/1s
    That's me taking maxx! deck

Giant stare 1-4
    I can't actually win when I go first. I do get to Mesmeric Fiend your Giant before you can play anything, but my 2 1/1s awkwardly stare at your Gray Ogre. DD 2-2
    (If I Mesmeric Fiend your Magus instead, you Stomp the Fiend, then play both Giant and Magus and win).
    Last edited by FTW; 11-26-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I find Maze is only oppressive with Tabernacle. Maze can only answer 1 threat. It's worse than removal against anything that can go wide (Mayor, Thallid). Tabernacle is very good against going wide, but a single creature + land can get through. Both combined is hard to play around.

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Murderous Rider would have scored 14 more points than dte's deck (38), only missing the 6-0 against discard and Magus. With just double Maze it loses steam.
    Nexus instead of Tabernacle would have been legal and even better (+20)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Nexus instead of Tabernacle would have been legal and even better (+20)
    Not quite as many. I think Tabernacle's worth more.

You still draw Wrath. If Inkmoth attacks, Stomp kills it (-1 land) then Mayor wins.

Rooster can Maze Inkmoth while growing Shambler and do the same line. If you play out both creatures and attack with both to overwhelm Maze, he can Maze Rider 9 times (taking 9 Infect) while growing Shambler or going wide with Mycon. Then he can switch to Mazing Inkmoth. Then if Rider keeps attacking, you lose the race. If Rider stays back, Mycon goes wide without killing it.

Against me you can Maze Factory and race 1 Infect vs 2 1/1s, it's close. On my play I think I'd still win because you have to choose between attacking sooner or Mazing more attacks, giving me tempo.

Tabernacle would just stop these wide attacks. Tabernacle also gives you the ability to sacrifice Rider, while Rider can get stuck on board otherwise.

Feb 2014

Rooster can Maze Inkmoth while growing Shambler and do the same line. If you play out both creatures and attack with both to overwhelm Maze, he can Maze Rider 9 times (taking 9 Infect) while growing Shambler or going wide with Mycon. Then he can switch to Mazing Inkmoth. Then if Rider keeps attacking, you lose the race. If Rider stays back, Mycon goes wide without killing it.
    Rider would win the race here, mazing it after damage to gain 4 life per turn. It takes 7 tokens to be on par with Rider on a race (each player losing 2 life / turn). After 9 turns of infect, it is only 3. 10 turns later, when rider is threatening lethal, it is only 6, so Rider's life probably over 20.

Anyway, I did not think of playing inkmoth :/

Sep 2011

Rider would win the race here, mazing it after damage to gain 4 life per turn. It takes 7 tokens to be on par with Rider on a race (each player losing 2 life / turn). After 9 turns of infect, it is only 3. 10 turns later, when rider is threatening lethal, it is only 6, so Rider's life probably over 20.

Rider can't race the tokens. 1/1 + Pendelhaven (2/3) blocks Rider forever without either dying. Eventually there are enough tokens to catch up with the lifegain. I only bring it up because the deck (+ Inkmoth) is probably still legal next round.

Double Maze made sense if you were worried about double Lupine decks, but that saw little play.

I had the same idea with Mishra's Factory, but I expected Magus of the Moon to be far more prevalent than it was.

Feb 2014

Rider can't race the tokens. 1/1 + Pendelhaven (2/3) blocks Rider forever without either dying. Eventually there are enough tokens to catch up with the lifegain. I only bring it up because the deck (+ Inkmoth) is probably still legal next round.

Double Maze made sense if you were worried about double Lupine decks, but that saw little play.
    You are right about the race indeed, pendlehaven is all it takes. But not sure the deck would still be legal, Roostercocoa made a good work with maze.

PJIM's deck was on my radar, but a single maze is enough to beat it.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

There were a few disagreements, which I took the liberty of solving. They're still marked in the spreadsheet though.
    Assuming my solutions here are correct, assuming the results of silk and alphastryk are correct and that I solved their h2h correctly...
    Here's very preliminary results for round 3:

1. PJim: 45 - 5
    2. Asthereal (TO): 35 - 3,9
    3. RoosterCocoa: 34 - 3,8
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 31 - 3,4
    5. dte: 24 - 2,7
    6. Wrath of Pie: 23 - 2,6
    6. silkster: 23 - 2,6
    8. FTW: 22 - 2,4
    9. alphastryk: 17 - 1,9
    10. Reeplcheep: 0 - 0

Which would lead to these bannings:
    Ancient Tomb
    Cabal Therapist
    Chronomaton
    Fourth Bridge Prowler
    Lupine Prototype
    Maze of Ith
    Pendelhaven
    Swarm Shambler
    Utopia Mycon
    Walking Ballista

Season points still don't get transferred to the table tab in the doc, but it looks like PJim takes the lead with this strong performance.

PS. If anybody made a change in order to make the lookup from last round work, please let me know what you did. My excel skills are... bad.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Totally forgot to come back and check out the results with the holiday here in the US but what everyone calculated makes sense for me.

I think I fixed the spreadsheet by copying one of the working cells and pasting it across the whole table to re-apply the formula.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Totally forgot to come back and check out the results with the holiday here in the US but what everyone calculated makes sense for me.

I think I fixed the spreadsheet by copying one of the working cells and pasting it across the whole table to re-apply the formula.
    I though the cells were all the same LOL.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Thanks to alphastryk fixing the doc, we now have standings after round 3:
    1. PJim: 11,8
    2. silkster: 10,4
    3. dte: 10,2
    4. RoosterCocoa: 10
    5. FTW: 9,6
    6. Wrath of Pie: 9,4
    7. Asthereal (TO): 8,7
    8. Reeplcheep: 6,2
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: 5,6
    10. alphastryk: 5,4
    11. maxx!: 5

So as mentioned, PJim takes the lead, followed by a pack of 5 all within 1 point of each other.
    Behind that pack, I seem to be a bit in no man's land.

Let's lock in the bannings mentioned earlier and get round 4 going.

ROUND 4 OF SEASON 11: LEGACY CREATURES & LANDS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 4, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 1st of December at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Urborg, Quicksand, Daughti Slayer, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S11R04 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!
    Last edited by Asthereal; 12-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Looks like we're complete on the deadline.

DECKS FOR ROUND 4 OF SEASON 11: Legacy Creatures & Lands Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Hickory Woodlot, Crystal Vein, Lodestone Golem, Mayor of Avabruck
    2. alphastryk: Crystal Vein, Elvish Spirit Guide, Wild Cantor, Magus of the Moon
    3. Reeplcheep: Blazing Rootwalla, Tireless Tribe, Vengevine, Plateau
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Eye of Ugin, Crystal Vein, Thought-Knot Seer, Endless One
    5. FTW: Hickory Woodlot, Urza's Saga, Ramunap Excavator, Mayor of Avabruck
    6. PJim: Peat Bog, Crystal Vein, Rankle, Master of Pranks, Nether Spirit
    7. dte: Emrakul, the aeons torn, Howltooth Hollow, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Peat Bog
    8. Wrath of Pie: Dreadship Reef, Creeping Tar Pit, Gilded Drake, Murderous Rider
    9. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Havenwood Battleground, Anurid Scavenger, Fume Spitter
    10. maxx!: Swamp, Elvish Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide, Grist, the Hunger Tide
    11. silkster: Sandstone Needle, Crystal Vein, Bonecrusher Giant, Boldwyr Heavyweights

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

6. PJim: Peat Bog, Crystal Vein, Rankle, Master of Pranks, Nether Spirit

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Hickory Woodlot, Crystal Vein, Lodestone Golem, Mayor of Avabruck / 4-1, Rankle wins if it lands, which it will on the play, and forces turn 2 Golem on the draw. Turn 2 Golem locks out Mayor, so Nether Spirit can draw.
    2. alphastryk: Crystal Vein, Elvish Spirit Guide, Wild Cantor, Magus of the Moon / 0-6, I was expecting a return to anti-Magus choices like in week 2. Hopefully you've gotten it banned this time.
    3. Reeplcheep: Blazing Rootwalla, Tireless Tribe, Vengevine, Plateau / 4-1, Edit: Realised I do way better if I play Spirit on turn 2 and Rankle turn 3. Spirit kills any 1 toughness attackers if they exist, and holds off Vengevine if they don't. OTP there's not enough of a lead to hold Rankle back.
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Eye of Ugin, Crystal Vein, Thought-Knot Seer, Endless One / 3-3, Rankle wins OTP. Edit: T1 2/2, and T2 Seer on Spirit wins.
    5. FTW: Hickory Woodlot, Urza's Saga, Ramunap Excavator, Mayor of Avabruck / 6-0, Rankle.
    7. dte: Emrakul, the aeons torn, Howltooth Hollow, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Peat Bog / 0-6, Edit: Two Sanitarium activations without time between gets me.
    8. Wrath of Pie: Dreadship Reef, Creeping Tar Pit, Gilded Drake, Murderous Rider / 6-0, I cast Nether Spirit, which races Tar Pit. If you ever cast Drake or Rider, Rankle can come in and force you to discard the other.
    9. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Havenwood Battleground, Anurid Scavenger, Fume Spitter / 6-0, Rankle.
    10. maxx!: Swamp, Elvish Spirit Guide, Elvish Spirit Guide, Grist, the Hunger Tide / 6-0, On your play, When Rankle lands Grist has 5 loyalty and has made 2 1/1s. Rankle knocks Grist to 2 and discards Spirit. If you don't kill him, he'll kill Grist and win easily. If you do, it'll be one 1/1 vs Nether Spirit.
    11. silkster: Sandstone Needle, Crystal Vein, Bonecrusher Giant, Boldwyr Heavyweights / 6-0, Rankle.

41 points.
    Last edited by PJim; 12-01-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Thread Information