Page 234 of 332 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,680 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Me: silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay

1. Asthereal (TO): Meddling Mage, Dovin's Veto, Counterflux, Death's Shadow
    Savage Meddling Mage stops your Meddling Mage, and Decay kills Shadow.
    WW

2. Wrath of Pie: Ancient Tomb, Loxodon Smiter, Loxodon Smiter, Bloodline Keeper
    Meddling Mage stops Bloodline Keeper, Decay trades with a Smiter, and Atraxa either trades with a Smiter or races a Smiter.
    WW

3. RoosterCocoa: High Market, Nether Spirit, Counterflux, Spell Queller
    Upkeep Atraxa goes the distance. For a moment I was worried about stack tricks with sacking the Queller before its ETB resolves, but High Market can't both make mana and sack, and I can cast spells before you can play High Market anyway.
    WW

4. PJim: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Electrodominance, Wheel of Fate
    If you let me get to my main phase, Atraxa wins. So you need to pick a fight first. Meddling Mage either names Abrupt Decay or dies to Abrupt Decay, and I can respond to Electrodominance with Savage Atraxa.
    WW

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Lifeforce, Nightveil Predator, Frilled Mystic, Bloodhall Ooze
    I go for a Savage Meddling Mage. If you don't play Mysic, I name Mystic, our other resources trade, and Meddling Mage comes out on top. If you do play Mystic, I name Nightveil Predator, and Atraxa comes out on top.
    WW

6. alphastryk: Leyline of Sanctity, Dark Ritual, Wheel and Deal, Aura Mutation
    I hold Savage Meddling Mage to respond to Dark Ritual. Atraxa lifelinks to victory.
    WW

7. jhhdk: Raven's Crime, Howltooth Hollow, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Force Spike
    Savage Meddling Mage on Crime or Emrakul gets the job done. Force Spike is neat here. My first draft of a deck had Nix.
    WW

8. FTW: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Frilled Mystic, Narset's Reversal
    My plan is Savage Summoning into Atraxa. If you Savage Summoning a Meddling Mage, it either names Abrupt Decay or eats Abrupt Decay. Narset's Reveral can force me to recast Savage Summoning, but I have the life for that since I don't plan to cast Meddling Mage. Narset's Reveral hilariously doesn't stop Decay on Mage because you have no other targets to choose. If Abrupt Decay was "better", you could let it kill the Mystic.
    WW

9. Reeplcheep: Blood Celebrant , Aetherflux Reservoir, Pact of Negation , Cavern Harpy
    Savage Mage on Blood Celebrant stops all shenanigans. Man, I looked so hard for a good activated ability, but I couldn't find one. This is super cool.
    Discrepency: Savage Summoning can't be countered.
    WW

10. mattamort: Esper charm, Funeral Charm, Funeral Charm, Thrilled Mystic
    Thrilling! If you let me get to my main phase, Atraxa takes over. I let you Funeral Charm twice discarding Decay and Mage, but I can respond to Esper Charm with Savage Atraxa.
    WW DD, forgot that main phase Atraxa is counterable.

11. dte: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, esper charm, fork
    Resolved Lavinia is GG. Even when I'm on the play, you have two Savage Summonings. Wow, this deck is amazing.
    LL

13. Tylert: Nicolas bolas, dragon god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    I'm cold to Tabernacle.
    LL

14. Serguei: Cunning Nightbonder; Spell Queller; Frilled Mystic; Leyline of Lifeforce
    Abrupt Decay answers Spell Queller (regardless of whether you hit Savage Summoning or Atraxa) and Savage Atraxa takes over.
    WW

15. maxx!: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Esper Charm, Mardu Charm
    This matchup is really confusing. I thought I figured it out like three times, but then I found more lines. All of our cards are gas, but Esper Charm has a 2-for-1. But if your Meddling Mage is already in play, then it's hitting a dead card. I can't figure this out at the moment.
    pending investigation I believe maxx!
    LL

16. H: Chancellor of the Dross, Smallpox, Phyrexian Obliterator, Counterspell
    On the play, I can Savage Mage naming Counterspell and play Atraxa. Counterspell is now blank, Smallpox will kill Meddling Mage, and Atraxa flies over Obliterator. Unfortunately, Chancellor + Smallpox + spending 7 mana puts me at 2, and you're at 20+3-8-4-1=10. Then (6,6), (1,6), (5,2), (0,2) has me dead first. The one life from Smallpox comes in clutch.
    So instead, I just hold Savage Atraxa to block and draw.
    DD

20W, 6L, 4D = 64, but with many mistakes likely. (One found thus far.)

After the Dream Halls round was less exciting than we'd hoped, I was a little concerned for this one, but wow! This round was much cooler than I expected and with much more diversity and interesting matches. Never have I had to read so many cards. Then again, this is perhaps more similar to the WUBRG round, which had a lot of diversity too.

I was kicking myself for not playing Meddling Mage last round, and it felt like a shoo-in here. But then again, everything felt broken: counterspells, uncounterable counterspells, Meddling Mages, removal, discard, big fatties, and infinite combos that I was sure were there but couldn't find, and all of it for free and often at instant speed. I considered Lavinia because of the last time that we saw Lavinia dominate, but I expected a lot of uncounterable creatures that would get through anyway. I did, however, do my best to mimic the role of Eater of Days, and I think Atraxa did a pretty good impersonation at that. But I had no idea if this would be any good because I couldn't predict the meta at all. The only other decks I had brainstormed were:
    Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Counterflux, Nix.
    Ancient Tomb, Ancient Tomb, Chromium, something undecided.
    Chancellor of the Forge.dec
    Cavern of Souls, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Archangel of Tithes, Counterflux.

Special shoutout to Fork for being so flexible. I'm still in awe.

PS: At the moment of writing this PS, I've written up 14 of my 15 match results and I just noticed that I actually have something to proliferate. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I was set on a fun False cure, fork, silence, Fiery Justice deck. Then when I previewed my message to Asthereal I discovered Fiery justice is a ritual, escaping an epic fail. Then I submitted a little bit boring redraw from my WURBG deck of previous season.
    I think you mean that Fiery Justice is a "rituel". It's interesting that we both started with your WUBRG deck as inspiration. I feel like a dirty net-decker.
    Last edited by silkster; 05-27-2021 at 12:05 PM.

maxx!: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Esper Charm, Mardu Charm

On the first upkeep I flash Meddling Mage and name Death's Shadow. Then I have a 3/3 Mage against your 2/2 Mage. I'll be at 14 and you're at 16 (and you can't attack into mine), so I'll win that race. 6-0

On the first upkeep I flash Meddling Mage and name Loxodon Smiter. Whenever you play Bloodline Keeper I kill it with Mardu Charm. 6-0

Welcome! I can stick my Meddling Mage before you can do anything, and naming Nether Spirit might actually be the right call somehow. You can't Spell Queller until your land is in play, so by then my Mage has resolved. You'll have a 2/3 flyer to my 3/3 on the ground, and I always get to attack first. I'll be at 14 to your 16, so I should win this race. 6-0

This is a bit tricky. I'll start by looking at me acting first. I can start with Mardu Charm. If it resolves, then I take Wheel. After that, I just have to respond to your Savage Summoning with Esper Charm and I'll win. So you have to respond to Mardu. I think no matter what you respond with (Electro or Savage), I respond with Esper. You have to respond with Savage, then I respond with my own Savage and name Meddling Mage. I don't think it gets better for you if you act first, since you only have 2 instants to my 3. Whatever you play first, I respond with Esper Charm, you respond with your other instant, then I Savage Summon my Mage out and lock you out of yours. 6-0

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Lifeforce, Nightveil Predator, Frilled Mystic, Bloodhall Ooze
    Since I don't have any counterspells, you can hold Leyline as discard fodder, or you can use it as a guaranteed green permanent for Ooze. Not sure which is better yet. Let's say you start with Leyline in play. On the first upkeep, I flash Meddling Mage and name Frilled Mystic. You can respond with Mystic (but won't counter a spell), then I can Esper Charm your last 2 cards and Mardu Charm your Mystic. If instead you hold your Leyline, then I flash Meddling Mage and name Nightveil Predator. You have to do something or else my 3/3 Mage will beat you to death. If you play Ooze, it stays a 1/1 and I just race it. If you ever play Mystic, I Mardu Charm it. 6-0

I think you always want to start with Leyline in play. If you act first, you can try to blow up your own Leyline, I respond with Esper Charm on the Leyline, you respond with Dark Rit, and then I respond with Savage Summoning into Meddling Mage naming Wheel. That leaves me with a 3/3 and you with nothing. If instead you act first with Dark Rit, I respond with Savage Summoning, you respond with Aura Mutation, and I respond with Esper Charm on the Leyline. Same result, I have a 3/3. You can't act first, and if I act first I just make tokens with Mardu Charm and try to beat you to death until you do something else. 6-0

I think Meddling Mage naming Raven's Crime on the first upkeep completely shuts down this deck. 6-0

Tricky. My hunch is that we stare. The only proactive way you have to act first is to try to make a creature, so we'll start there. You Savage, I Savage, you Narset, I let it resolve and then respond to the copy with my own Savage again, mine resolves and I make a Meddling Mage naming Meddling Mage. You can make your Frilled Mystic at any point in this exchange, but it can't counter any of my spells there, and it just eats Mardu Charm once it lands. Pretty sure you can't win if you act first. If I act first, I can't start with Savage, because then your Savage will always resolve first. I can try to start with a Charm, but Mystic will counter one and Narset will copy the other, and I don't have enough life to play 5 cards after one gets Reversed. Mainphase Mage just exposes it to Mystic. I think this is 2-2
    Edit: I missed the line that FTW can Narset his own Savage Summoning. That looks like it wins the deadlock. 0-6

9. Reeplcheep: Blood Celebrant , Aetherflux Reservoir, Pact of Negation , Cavern Harpy
    First upkeep I can flash Meddling Mage and name Blood Celebrant. 6-0

10. mattamort: Esper charm, Funeral Charm, Funeral Charm, Frilled Mystic
    You've got 4 live cards to my 3, so I think this is bad for me. I don't think I can act first, but I think I can sit on my cards to force a draw. If you Esper Charm, I respond with Savage. You can Funeral twice, but I can just discard both my Charms to still get a 3/3 Meddling Mage that trades with your 3/2. If you Funeral Charm first, I just discard a Charm. If you Funeral Charm again, I discard my other Charm, and then sit on Savage + Mage until you try to Esper me, or you play your Mystic. After you play your Mystic, I'll just mainphase Mage to trade. I think 2-2

Similar to FTW and mattamort. We both have 3 live cards, and whoever starts casting spells last will get their hatebear to stick. Lots of lines but I think they all lead to staring? 2-2 for now

12. silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay
    If you Savage Summon first, then I respond with Esper Charm, let it resolve, then Summon my own Mage and name the last card you have. That means I get to act first on the first upkeep, and I start with Mardu Charm. If it resolves, I'll take Savage, then Esper Charm you, then Mage your last card. So you respond to Mardu Charm with Savage, and I respond with Esper Charm. After you discard 2, I Savage my own Mage and name your last card. 6-0

13. Tylert: Nicol bolas, dragon-god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    I have no way to stop Tabernacle, so I just play for the draw. You only have 2 Chants for upkeep interaction, so I'll just start with Savage. If it resolves, then I put the rest of my hand on the stack as soon as I get priority, and Mage will name Bolas, so you keep Tabernacle and we draw. If you respond to Savage with Chant, then I respond with Mardu Charm to try to take your other Chant. You can either discard it or respond with it, and then I Esper Charm your last 2 cards and you lose. I think the optimal line for you is to just play Tabernacle and literally don't do anything else with your cards. 2-2

14. Serguei: Cunning Nightbonder; Spell Queller; Frilled Mystic; Leyline of Lifeforce
    I don't have counterspells so you might as well hold Leyline for discard fodder. If you start with Nightbonder, I can Savage Mage and name Queller, and then Mardu Charm your Mystic if you ever play it. If you start with a naked Mystic, then I Esper, you Nightbonder, and I Savage Mage and name Queller. Then I can Mardu Charm the Mystic, but that leaves me at 2 life with a 3/3 vs your 2/2, and you're at some higher total than 3, so I have to hold back. I think optimally this is 2-2

This is me :]

Chancellor actually stops me from playing all 4 of my cards, haha. Due to this, I think OTP I Mardu Charm first to trade with Counterspell, then Esper Charm you for 2 cards, then mainphase Mage and name your last card (leaves me at 1 life). OTD is really tricky. I've run through a lot of lines and nothing works out. I can't stop both Obliterator and Smallpox, and the 1 life from Smallpox actually kills me if I play Mage and 2 Charms. 3-3?

6+6+6+6+6+6+6+0+6+2+2+6+2+2+3 = 65

The first deck I came up with was Orochi Leafcaller, Biomancer's Familiar, Kenrith, the Returned King, Leyline of Lifeforce. Then I remembered that Meddling Mage existed, then I remembered Savage Summoning, and I realized this was actually a first-upkeep instant speed round. It took me forever to decide on my 4th card (Mardu Charm), and I'm not totally happy with it, but it performed well and all 3 modes were relevant, so I guess it worked out.

Sep 2011

I was set on a fun False cure, fork, silence, Fiery Justice deck. Then when I previewed my message to Asthereal I discovered Fiery justice is a ritual, escaping an epic fail. Then I submitted a little bit boring redraw from my WURBG deck of previous season.

2-2. I didn't know (or remember) reversal, nice find! I cannot start with summoning. I don't think you can too, but it is a bit blurred here... I'll write 2-2 for now.
    Narset's Reversal was my tech to force through my guy first in Savage Summoning mirrors, deflect back instant discard (paying cost again could be prohibitive), and trump counter wars vs Counterflux on Mystic (remove Counterflux from stack, Counterflux their original spell, can't Counterflux my Counterflux back so their spell is done, plus force them to pay another 6 life to stop the 3/2). Seemed good. The part I misjudged was that resolving Meddling Mage first doesn't always win me the game if they have multiple threats or have Decay. Lavinia would have been better. Good choice there.

Edit: I win both. You're right that neither of us can start with a turn 0 play, but if we stare then main phase Meddling Mage wins for me (2 creatures vs 1).

If you lead with Savage, I Savage back. If you Esper Charm, I counter with Frilled Mystic. If you Fork either Charm or Savage, Narset's Reversal on my own Savage lets me Savage-Mage on top of the stack naming Lavinia and have 2 bodies to your none.
    If you lead with Esper Charm, I play Mystic. If you Fork or Savage, I Savage. If you Savage (or Fork anything) back, I Narset's my own Savage and resolve Mage on top of the stack again winning.
    So you don't do anything on the first upkeep.

If I lead with Savage, you Savage back. I can Narset's Reversal my Savage to trump the mirror, but you can Esper Charm attacking my hand. This forces out Frilled Mystic (otherwise I lose my creatures), then you can Fork to do my own Narset's trick and win the stack! I can't cast Mage, you get 3/3 Lavinia vs my 3/2 Mystic and we would draw.
    So neither of us does anything on the first upkeep.

OTP I T1 main phase cast Meddling Mage (naming Lavinia would win). If you respond with Savage-Lavinia, once Lavinia is on the stack I cast Frilled Mystic and win with 3/2 + 2/2 vs your 3/3. I'm at 8 life vs your 14 life, but you lose if you trade with Mystic so I get to attack first. If you attack back, I swing with just Mage and leave Mystic to block, stopping your next attack. Then Mystic attacks again... I can keep alternating to win the race. Life totals go
    14-8
    11-5
    9-5
    6-2
    4-2
    If you attack back here, Mage chumps your 3/3 and Mystic wins. If you hold back to defend, I attack with both and win.

OTD if you play T1 main phase Lavinia without Savage, I can counter with Frilled Mystic and win. If you do nothing, main phase Meddling Mage wins again.

WW 6-0 I think. Very tight match from very similar decks.

Edit: There's a line where you can try to make a 4/4 Lavinia by Forking your own Savage Summoning to get 2 +1/+1 counters. But you would have to act first, stacking Savage and then Fork on top of it. I respond with Narset's Reversal on your Savage Summoning, returning it to your hand and countering the Fork (holding back Mystic in case you try Esper Charm, just save the 6 life). You can still go Savage-Lavinia after that (I play Mystic once Lavinia is on the stack) but you'll just have the 3/3 and be at 8 life vs 4 life. Attacking first wins it for me again.

I Counterflux your Meddling Mage, and play Nether Spirit. If you hold your Counterflux for my Spell Queller, then I will never play it and you will resolve Death's Shadow, and though I can gain infinite life with High Market sacrificing Nether Spirit I can't kill you. DD

OTP I force you to delay your Loxodon Smiters for a turn by playing Spell Queller at the end of your turn, winning the race. If you play Bloodline Keeper, I Counterflux it and win the race faster both on the play and on the draw. Turns out High Market was actually useful. OTD I can't beat 2 turn 1 Smiters. WL

Savage Summoning a Meddling Mage on the first upkeep naming Nether Spirit means I lose the race. LL

I can't beat a resolved Nightveil Predator, and if I try to Spell Queller it you counter that with an uncounterable Frilled Mystic. LL

OTD you Aura Mutation and I Counterflux Wheel and Deal, so I have 14 life. I play Nether Spirit, and am at 10 life. You attack with 4 1/1s, Nether Spirit kills 1 and I am at 7 life. I play Spell Queller, so have 3 life. I clearly win this race. OTP I get my creatures into play faster, so I still win. WW

If you just Raven's Crime yourself, I play Nether Spirit and nothing else so I win because you need to empty my hand before you can activate Howltooth Hollow. If you Raven's Crime me, I discard Nether Spirit and then when you Raven's Crime yourself to get a reshuffle I Counterflux. If you wait for me to do something I play Nether Spirit and beat you down before you can kill me. WW

Savage Summoning a Meddling Mage on the first upkeep naming Nether Spirit beats me. LL

9. Reeplcheep: Blood Celebrant , Aetherflux Reservoir, Pact of Negation, Cavern Harpy
    You can't beat Counterflux. WW

If you try to make me discard my hand, I Counterflux your Esper Charm and don't discard Spell Queller. I then win by attacking with Nether Spirit. Therefore you wait. If I play a creature, you double Funeral Charm in response and counter the creature with Frilled Mystic, so I have no creatures and you win. Therefore I do nothing and we stare at each other forever. DD

You Savage Summoning Lavinia, then empty my hand and I can't counter it because of Lavinia. LL

12. silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay
    Savage Summoning a Meddling Mage on the first upkeep naming Nether Spirit beats me. LL

13. Tylert: Nicol bolas, dragon-god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    I can't race Nicol bolas. LL

You Spell Queller my Nether Spirit and Frilled Mystic my Spell Queller, so I can't do anything. LL

I Counterflux your Obliterator if you play it. If you Smallpox, I discard Nether Spirit and win. If you don't and I play a creature, you play Smallpox and neither of us can do anything. Therefore neither of us plays anything. DD

7W 6D 17L = 27

I definitely thought that Nether Spirit came back if it was the top card in your graveyard when I made the deck. I suppose that's the price for assuming I know what cards do without reading them carefully. Anyways, I did better than expected given that this was my first time participating.
    Last edited by RoosterCocoa; 05-27-2021 at 02:41 PM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    I definitely thought that Nether Spirit came back if it was the top card in your graveyard when I made the deck. I suppose that's the price for assuming I know what cards do without reading them carefully. Anyways, I did better than expected given that this was my first time participating.
    Don't worry, we all made worse mistakes (like posting illegal decks or decks that litterally do nothing) :) Welcome!!

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I think you mean that Fiery Justice is a "rituel". It's interesting that we both started with your WUBRG deck as inspiration. I feel like a dirty net-decker.
    Yes, that's when I just try to anglicize a French word rather than using the English one ("Sorcery" is "Rituel" in French).
    I think given the high counterspell count the Fiery justice deck would have performed quite poorly, but I would have loved jamming it!

Atraxa is a great find, it really dominates the board. and the proliferate/savage interaction is pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    If I lead with Savage, you Savage back. I can Narset's Reversal my Savage to trump the mirror, but you can Esper Charm attacking my hand. This forces out Frilled Mystic (otherwise I lose my creatures), then you can Fork to do my own Narset's trick and win the stack! I can't cast Mage, you get 3/3 Lavinia vs my 3/2 Mystic and we would draw.
    So neither of us does anything on the first upkeep.

OTP I T1 main phase cast Meddling Mage (naming Lavinia would win). If you respond with Savage-Lavinia, once Lavinia is on the stack I cast Frilled Mystic and win with 3/2 + 2/2 vs your 3/3. I'm at 8 life vs your 14 life, but you lose if you trade with Mystic so I get to attack first. If you attack back, I swing with just Mage and leave Mystic to block, stopping your next attack. Then Mystic attacks again... I can keep alternating to win the race. Life totals go
    14-8
    11-5
    9-5
    6-2
    4-2
    If you attack back here, Mage chumps your 3/3 and Mystic wins. If you hold back to defend, I attack with both and win.

OTD if you play T1 main phase Lavinia without Savage, I can counter with Frilled Mystic and win. If you do nothing, main phase Meddling Mage wins again.

WW 6-0 I think. Very tight match from very similar decks.
    You're right, Narset is a great find but having two creatures is the key here. Quite close race!

I made the same mistake as you and wrote our MU as DD (you're right of course, luckily for me), I think every participant has regularly had this discovery that they did not read their own cards perfectly and/or understand the rules.
    For me it is one of the very nice parts of this 4CB and the discussions that follow, it gives us a deeper understanding of the game.

Two wrongs MU for me now, I guess given as complicated that round is, might be more to come :)

My Entry
    aka the draw.deck, the line are not always simple. I hope it will be clear enough.

The entries:
    At upkeep turn 1, I try to make you make discard your hand. You can't let esper charm since it would empty your hand, so you need to keep a counterspell for it
    No matter the order I play my discard spell, you keep one of your creature spell and I can not play my thrilled Mystic in order to keep your creature in check
    DD

My nemesis, I believe it is a very strong choice even if not great in this meta, bad luck
    LL

I disagree with your analysis. If you play High Market you instantly lose since you have to either cast Nether Spirit or go to EOT.
    Option1 : Go to EOT, I have 3 discard spell + a counterspell, it means I can empty your hand while keeping Mystic to counter Queller if you play it. you have two creatures in the grave, spirit will not come back.
    Option2 : Cast spirit, I respond with funeral charm, you discard Queller, 2nd Funeral charm, you discard flux, I counter with mystic the spirit, you have two creatures in the grave, spirit will not come back.
    If I force you to discard, spirit will come back and I lose.
    DD

Upkeep turn1 funeral charm
    -> Option1 Response with Summoning, I play 2nd funeral charm
    -> Option1.1 response with electrodominance -> I follow with esper charm, it empty your 2 remaining cards in hand, and I play thrilled mystic
    -> Option1.2 you let it resolve discard Electrodominance or Wheel of fate -> I follow with esper charm it empty your 2 remaining cards in hand, and I play thrilled mystic
    -> Option2 Response with Electrodominance, I play esper charm, it empty your 2 remaining cards in hand, and I play thrilled mystic
    -> Option3 Let it resolve, whatever you discard, I ll be able to make you discard the rest of your hand while playing the mystic
    WW

2nd Edit after realizing Leyline apply to both player but only to creature spell

DD

If you play ritual or aura mutation, I counter it and you have to move since I have a 3/2 in play.
    Option1 : You play ritual, I counter, I have a 3/2 in play, you need to move and cant cast Wheel and Deal, so you play aura mutation and I destroy leyline with esper charm -> Losing line for you
    Option2 : You play Aura Mutation, I counter, end of the game -> Losing line for you
    Option3 : You do nothing
    Option3.1: I play thrilled mystic, you respond with ritual, followed by wheel and deal, to force me to play esper charm, to which you respond with aura mutation 4 1/1. Funeral charm can only deal with two of them -> Not a winning line for me, maybe losing line
    Option3.2: I play esper charm targetting, leyline, you respond with ritual, I counter, you play aura mutation, same situation than above
    DD

A complex MU, I have to make you discard your hand otherwise, you keep force spike for mystic and I can not win
    So, my first thought was
    At you first draw step, I force you to discard your hand with emy trigger on the stack. The card will all be shuffled in the order of my choice and I have a 3/2 in play
    Order of the library from top to bottom do not really matter except spike must not be last since it is not part of the cards needed in your hand.
    Emrakul - Force Spike - Ravens crime - Howltooth Hollow
    Attack 17, draw emrakul, Attack 14, draw Spike, Attack 11, draw crime, Attack 8, Draw Hollow, Play crime to discard emy, 6, play hollow, attack 3, untap cast emrakul with 1 life remaining and I lose
    So I can not force you to discard upkeep since it is a losing line. Nevertheless, if you pay 2 life to cast Raven's crime to init your engine, I can make you discard your full hand in response and you start the race at 18 and I win.
    DD

I dont think I can win this one since I cant replay esper charm so lets try to draw
    Upkeep turn 1, I start with funeral charm
    -> Option1 Response with savage summonning, I follow with another funeral charm
    -> Option1.1 Counter with Mystic, I counter with my mystic and I have a 3/2 in play, Summonning resolve you play mage -> Draw
    -> Option1.2 Response with Reversal, I discard esper charm, and I replay funeral charm, You have mystic and mage in hand, If you counter, I counter back and same situation than above
    -> Option2 Counter with Mystic, I countered back with my mystic, I have a 3/2 in play and you can not have better than a 3/3 -> Draw
    -> Option3 Let it resolve
    -> Option3.1 Discard Summoning -> I follow with another funeral charm
    -> Option3.1.1 Counter with your Mystic, Counter with my own mystic, I have a 3/2 in play and at best a 3/3 -> Draw
    -> Option3.1.2 Response with Reversal, Discard Esper charm, Replay Funeral charm, You have mystic and mage in hand, If you counter, I counter back and same situation than above
    -> Option3.2 Discard a creature -> At best you will have a creature in play and you cant deny me from playing me mystic -> Draw
    -> Option3.3 Discard Reversal -> I follow with funeral charm
    -> Option3.3.1 Counter with Mystic, counter with my mistic and I cant prevent you from having a 2/2 or 3/2 in play -> Draw
    -> Option3.3.1 Respond with summonning, I play esper charm and I counter the mystic -> Losing line for you, not chosen
    DD

First upkeep, I ll try to make you discard your hand by starting with funeral charm, followed with funeral, followed with esper charm.
    If you try to play harpy at some point and I counter with mystic, you can not counter since you can not pay pact upkeep cost
    WW

DD as explained

Another disagreement
    Upkeep funeral charm, discard decay
    Another funeral charm
    Option1 -> Discard Summonning, Followed by esper charm, your hand is empty, I win
    Option2 -> Discard Meddling Mage or Atraxa. Go to main phase, if you play the creature, I counter it and I win. If you play, savage, I force you to discard the creature with savage on the stack. If you do nothing, I can not move.
    DD

13. Tylert: Nicolas bolas, dragon god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    Cant prevent the instant discard speed
    WW

You can not play queller as long as Nightbonder is in play, so my objective is to force to prevent Nightbonder to resolve
    I can not really win but I can look for a draw
    In order to win, you led with
    Cunning Nightbonder
    -> response funeral charm
    -> option1 Counter with mystic, I let it resolve, destroy your leyline and counter nightbonder leading to two Frilled Mystic starring at each other
    -> option2 discard queller, I play another charm, you are forced to counter, I destroy leyline and counter ofe of the creature
    DD

As explained by Maxx!
    DD

I can not really win but I can look for a draw
    Starting Life total 17-23
    Upkeep turn 1, esper charm 11-23.
    Option1 : You counter it I let it resolve and keep mystic for obliterator and you can not win.
    Option2 : If you dont counter, you discard dross and smallpox, I follow with funeral charm 9-23 you discard counterspell followed by another funeral charm discaring obliterator 7-23
    I can not cast anymore mystic
    DD

Summary
    8W-2L-20D=44Points

A funny round even if I selected the wrong deck, the alternative being tabernacle + bolas.
    Even if we had Mardu Charm in the list, I was not able to find fork, which would have led to a much better result.
    My predictions were instant speed discard.dek / flash.dek and sorcery speed.dek with tabernacle or only creatures.
    I thought having a good MU vs sorcery speed and a draw vs flash.dek would be good, it was not :D.
    Last edited by mattamort; 05-31-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    I disagree with your analysis. If you play High Market you instantly lose since you have to either cast Nether Spirit or go to EOT.
    Option1 : Go to EOT, I have 3 discard spell + a counterspell, it means I can empty your hand while keeping Mystic to counter Queller if you play it. you have two creatures in the grave, spirit will not come back.
    Option2 : Cast spirit, I respond with funeral charm, you discard Queller, 2nd Funeral charm, you discard flux, I counter with mystic the spirit, you have two creatures in the grave, spirit will not come back.
    If I force you to discard, spirit will come back and I lose.
    DD
    You're right, somehow I missed that you can double funeral charm in response to me playing a creature.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

16 is a ton of players this round! And some unique takes on things. Esper Charm I missed in my searching somehow, so I ended up in the inferior instant discard plan because I'm relying on a setup Ritual. Lets see how that goes. Esper Charm even blows up my Leyline! I played Aura Mutation because I thought there would be lots of leylines, and Wheel and Deal needs my opponents leyline gone.

your 2 counterspells mean I can't Wheel and Deal or make tokens. LL

0-6

Loxodon Smiter! :( LL

0-6

If I attempt to Ritual -> Wheel, you can Counterflux it. Since I can't make you empty your hand, my 4 1/1s can't win. LL

0-6

Because we're both doing similar things at instant speed, I don't see a path to victory for either of us. If we start doing things, you'll always end up with a 3/3 against my 4 1/1s, which is a staring contest. DD

2-2

Mystic prevents my Ritual -> Wheel line, and my 4 1/1s can't beat your superior creatures. LL

0-6

This is my not so good discard deck

Force Spike is just counterspell this round, nice. Emrakul makes Wheel and Deal a bad plan, and Force Spike prevents Aura Mutation. On the other hand, Leyline prevents Raven's Crime, so we stare. DD

2-2

I'm never able to be proactive here, so I can't get there. LL

0-6

OTP I can Wheel and Deal your hand away when you are unable to pay for Pact, but OTD I can't because Celebrant lets you pay for your Pact. WL

3-3

I don't see a path to win for either of us, so I think we stare. DD

2-2

Fork is really really smart here, it prevents me from ever taking the initiative, and there's just no way for me to make any progress. LL

0-6

If I Ritual, you respond by making Meddling Mage to stop Wheel and Deal. Then I can't beat Atraxa with my 1/1s. LL

0-6

Luckily for me, you're playing Chant instead of Silence, so my Leyline protects me and lets me Wheel and Deal your hand away. WW

6-0

I don't see a way for me to accomplish anything, and your threats are better than my 1/1s. LL

0-6

If I take the intiative, I lose to Savage Meddling Mage. If I don't, I lose to Mardu Charm making tokens. LL

0-6

Counterspell protects you from Ritual->Wheel and Deal, and Obliterator is far better than my tokens. LL

0-6

Total: 15 points

Really interesting round that I didn't quite figure out.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet! I get really excited and focused on the matches when they come out, and I did notice new players, but I forgot to say hi! I also haven't been here since the beginning, and I thought some of them might be returning players.

I force you to delay a Loxodon Smiter for a turn by playing Spell Queller at the end of your turn, winning the race. If you play Bloodline Keeper, I Counterflux it and win the race faster both on the play and on the draw. Turns out High Market was actually useful. WW
    You can't Queller before you've played a land, so when Wrath is on the play, turn 1 is double Smiter, and I think that races you. Should be WL?

I can't beat a resolved Nightveil Predator, and if I try to Spell Queller it you counter that with an uncounterable Frilled Mystic. LL
    Leyline of Lifeforce cuts both ways, though on further inspection I'm still not sure how you can win. You need to tap the High Market to cast the Nether Spirit, which takes you off Spell Queller and leaves you vulnerable to Predator. I think you just die to Ooze while holding up Queller.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    maxx!: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Esper Charm, Mardu CharmIt took me forever to decide on my 4th card (Mardu Charm), and I'm not totally happy with it, but it performed well and all 3 modes were relevant, so I guess it worked out.
    I thought Mardu Charm was amazing. What didn't you like about it? What did you want out of your fourth card?

Two wrongs MU for me now, I guess given as complicated that round is, might be more to come :)
    I like to believe that I'm a careful thinker with a good understanding of this game, but I've managed as many as five or six wrong match outcomes in a round. I wonder what my record actually is.

I agree with Mattamort's result. That's one mistake for me so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    A funny round even if I selected the wrong deck, the alternative being tabernacle + bolas.
    Even if we had Mardu Charm in the list, I was not able to find fork, which would have led to a much better result.
    My predictions were instant speed discard.dek / flash.dek and sorcery speed.dek with tabernacle or only creatures.
    I thought having a good MU vs sorcery speed and a draw vs flash.dek would be good, it was not :D.
    48/15 = 3.2, which is above average. And remember that average is typically between 2.7 and 2.9 depending on how draw heavy the round is.
    Who is the brainstorm team? Is it TylerT, Serguei, and mattamort? I thought there was another.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "knife to a gunfight"

This round we play Phyrexian mana: All colored mana symbols in costs can also be paid with 2 life.

Predator ooze smash! 6-0

Smitten 0-6

Predator ooze smash! 6-0

Mystic stare 2-2

That's me running out of Goblins

Ooze smash! 6-0

Mystic crime, predator ooze smash! 6-0

Predator ooze smash! 6-0

Mystic reservoir, predator ooze smash! 6-0

Mystic stare 2-2

Mystic stare 2-2

Atraxa :( 0-6

Tabernacle :( 0-6

Quelled predator 0-6

Too many tricks 0-6

Mystic pox, ooze smash! 6-0

Total: 48 points

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Who is the brainstorm team? Is it TylerT, Serguei, and mattamort? I thought there was another.
    only the three of us. We still manage to not win :)

I thought Mardu Charm was amazing. What didn't you like about it? What did you want out of your fourth card?
    It was probably the best option for what I was looking for, I think I just expected too much of the last card. I kind of wanted a counterspell, and I kind of wanted more discard to supplement Esper Charm, and I kind of wanted a second threat, and I kind of wanted removal. Stuff like Narset's Reversal and Fork could sort of serve as counterspells, and could also copy Esper for more discard, but I worried about a flash threat hitting the board before my Mage, and having no way to deal with it. A true counterspell like Archmage's Charm would have covered some of those bases too, but had other weaknesses. Mardu Charm fit most of the things that I wanted, but didn't do any of them perfectly. It was removal, but couldn't kill everything (like Obliterator). It was discard, but couldn't discard creatures or lands (so I still can't beat Tabernacle). And it was a threat, but a really weak threat that couldn't beat a 2/2.

Once I had the basic strategy down for my deck, the first 3 cards were total locks (I considered Lavinia over Meddling Mage, but that was the only flexibility there). My last card needed to shore up various holes, and I couldn't find the perfect card to cover all my bases. But really that's how 4CB goes!

You can't Queller before you've played a land, so when Wrath is on the play, turn 1 is double Smiter, and I think that races you. Should be WL?
    Yep, even though I considered playing it I somehow forgot that Ancient Tomb makes 2 mana.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    I made the mistake of forgetting Leyline of Lifeforce stops your Mystic from countering mine.

If you don't reveal Leyline, I play upkeep uncounterable Savage-Mage. If you do nothing I name Frilled Mystic! 3/3 Mage starts beating down. If you play Nightveil, I counter with Frilled Mystic. If you play Ooze, it stays a 1/1 and loses to my board. Instead you're better off responding to Meddling Mage by flashing in Frilled Mystic. I counter back with Frilled Mystic, the Mage names Nightveil Predator. Again, your Ooze would just be a 1/1 and loses to my board.

So you have to reveal Leyline.

If you reveal Leyline, we can't counter creatures. OTP I just play 2/2 Mage naming Ooze (F=16). If you play Nightveil (G=12) I flash in Mystic (F=8) and get to attack first with Mystic. You flash in your own Mystic to trade (G=4). Now if you attack with Nightveil in the air you need 3 hits to kill while I need just 2. You can't race me so we stare. Draw.

OTD I would need Savage Summoning to make Mage in time to stop a creature. That would leave me at lower life (F=6, G=4) with a 3/3 Mage vs 3/3 Predator. Now you could kill me in 2 hits, so you can race in the air. I can force a trade by attacking first into Predator but then you can cast Ooze to win. Loss.

DL 1-4 for me (WD 4-1 instead of WW 6-0 for you)

BTW, great job finding a Chronomaton for this round that's uncounterable and grows at double speed. You're just weak to discard and Leyline stopping your own counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    only the three of us. We still manage to not win :)
    dte is just insane. First season: second by 0,3. Second season: win by a large margin. Third season: already in the lead. There have been good meta calls, and good innovation, like Tel-Jilad Stylus, which has become a perennial role player.

Taking 3rd and 4th is a season is still quite the showing.

I kind of wanted a counterspell, and I kind of wanted more discard to supplement Esper Charm, and I kind of wanted a second threat, and I kind of wanted removal.
    You got 3 out of 4. That's pretty darn good! I had trouble finding my last card too. I thought that the ease of free counterspells would drive many people to play entirely uncounterable decks, either through Cavern of Souls or Leyline. I found Esper Charm, but I didn't give it the respect that I should have. I already had 2 threats, so I was pretty sure that I wanted removal. At that point, I just had no time to think about it, so I went with the first thing I found. I'm not sure if I would have played Assassin's Trophy if I could have. Hitting more is good, but uncounterable seemed relevant.

Sep 2011

It was probably the best option for what I was looking for, I think I just expected too much of the last card. I kind of wanted a counterspell, and I kind of wanted more discard to supplement Esper Charm, and I kind of wanted a second threat, and I kind of wanted removal. Stuff like Narset's Reversal and Fork could sort of serve as counterspells, and could also copy Esper for more discard, but I worried about a flash threat hitting the board before my Mage, and having no way to deal with it. A true counterspell like Archmage's Charm would have covered some of those bases too, but had other weaknesses. Mardu Charm fit most of the things that I wanted, but didn't do any of them perfectly. It was removal, but couldn't kill everything (like Obliterator). It was discard, but couldn't discard creatures or lands (so I still can't beat Tabernacle). And it was a threat, but a really weak threat that couldn't beat a 2/2.

Once I had the basic strategy down for my deck, the first 3 cards were total locks (I considered Lavinia over Meddling Mage, but that was the only flexibility there). My last card needed to shore up various holes, and I couldn't find the perfect card to cover all my bases. But really that's how 4CB goes!
    Overall Mardu Charm served you well! Having a card that could both kill an opposing flashed creature or discard a combo piece is powerful. I also think having a 2nd threat was key to doing well this round, and you found a way to do it with your removal spell.

I think the best variation of the Savage deck was either Meddling Mage + Discard + Removal (what you played, having flexible answers to multiple things) or Lavinia + Counter + Narset (forcing through T0 Lavinia, which wins if resolved first). Playing Meddling Mage with Narset was suboptimal because I can make Mage first but still lose to a 2nd threat. And I think playing Lavinia with discard was suboptimal because it doesn't guarantee Lavinia lands first, which is where it would really shine. Lavinia first is scary.

Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Frilled Mystic, Narset's Reversal would have scored about 70 points, losing only to Wrath's meta-hate deck and Tylert's Tabernacle.
    Last edited by FTW; 05-28-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Frilled Mystic, Narset's Reversal would have scored about 70 points, losing only to Wrath's meta-hate deck and Tylert's Tabernacle.
    One of our first idea was summoning + lavinia. After that, I kept telling my boys to play tabernacle, but they did not listen :) (That said, to give them credit, not playing a deck that instantly folds to instant discard was not a bad idea either )

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for the Phyrexian round:

That's me, sporting uncounterable counters and the biggets cheap dude I could find. And I of course forgot about discard combo...
    OTP I can make Mage on Smiter before you get them out. Flux takes Keeper and I win. OTD you can make two Smiters, and I Mage the Keeper. I'll have one bigger and one smaller dude, which turns into a staredown. 4-1
    You Flux my Mage and don't ever cast Queller, so Spirit keeps recurring. Death's Shadow can't attack through it, and it can't attack through Shadow either. 2-2
    I have two counters for Dominance. You have to Mage on Shadow, and if you protect it with Summoning, it'll be bigger than my Mage, and you'll win the race. 0-6
    EDIT: What FTW says here. 1-4
    I can counter all your things and the team takes it. 6-0
    I'll counter the first Crime and Force Spike. If you Raven's Crime from the yard, I let it resolve. You shuffle back the whole deck. I then cast Mage on Emrakul and you can't win. 6-0
    Protected Mage on Death's Shadow means your Mage is 3/3 and mine is 2/2. The rest of our decks don't matter here. 0-6
    My countersuit stops your plan. Mage and Shadow win the day. 6-0
    T0 Esper Charm must be countered, so I do. Two Funerals make me discard Flux and Mage, and I wait until you make Frilled to make my Shadow, but you never do. 2-2
    11. dte: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, Esper charm, Fork
    This deck is pretty good against mine. I can't stop any part of your plan. Lavinia is a nice find! 0-6
    Summoning into Mage on SHadow wins it again. Rest doesn't matter. 0-6
    13. Tylert: Nicol Bolas, dragon god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    Bolas the Dragon Lord is a cool wincon. Nacle take out my team, two Chants stop my countersuite and Bolas makes me lose it. 0-6
    EDIT: Leyline works both ways, and OTP I'm just fast enough. See below. 3-3
    Summoning into Mage on SHadow wins it again. Rest doesn't matter. Again. I should have seen this one coming. 0-6
    I have Veto for Pox and Counterflux for Obliterator. You can only counter one of my threats. 6-0

Total: 36 points

Against Serguei:
    Leyline works both ways. So Serguei can't counter my guys, unless you keep it in hand, but then my counters work, which is worse.
    A: Mage (16), threaten to name Queller-forcing Queller out, resp. cast Bonder & Queller (12), resp. try to Counterflux which fails (10), Queller exiles Mage. Then cast Shadow (8), Shadow is now 5/5.
    S: Attack with Queller, A=6, Shadow 7/7
    A: Attack with Shadow, S can't cast Mystic and double block. Chumping twice or taking damage once does the same. So take damage, S=5
    S: If you attack with both, I kill you on the return swing, so attack with Queller, A=4, Shadow 9/9
    A: Attack with Shadow, chump with Bonder
    I win from here. OTD you're a turn faster to attack so you win.
    3-3
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-31-2021 at 04:46 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Do we agree that if I orim's chant in responce to electrodominance, Pjim can't cast wheel of fate in response?
    I forgot that the card had to be "cast" and that orim's chant controls if Pjim can or cannot cast a spell :)

Thread Information