Page 269 of 332 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279319 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,380 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

I think that the legal Needle effects need to be banned for the next round, otherwise the round is all about them.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I think that the legal Needle effects need to be banned for the next round, otherwise the round is all about them.
    I think that because we made the round rule an emblem that it itsn't affected by those cards as it isn't the card Aether Vial?

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I think that because we made the round rule an emblem that it itsn't affected by those cards as it isn't the card Aether Vial?
    Indeed.
    Now for the round not to turn into 2CB, maybe we should also consider moving adding the counters on the emblem at the beginning of the main phase?

Comp rules do say an Emblem doesn't have a name, so the Emblem isn't called Aether Vial. I'd still consider putting in the round rules that it's not actually called Aether Vial, in case someone doesn't read the thread.

dte, you may need to be less cryptic.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Indeed.
    Now for the round not to turn into 2CB, maybe we should also consider moving adding the counters on the emblem at the beginning of the main phase?
    Yeah, I don't mean for you to spoil your tech, but I'm with PJim. I don't know what you're talking about. If nobody else catches on, maybe you sweep the round?

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Doesn't work because the emblem shares a name with the card Aether Vial. (Solution is thankfully simple, don't give the emblem a name.)

Feb 2014

I do think that cards like Cabal therapist or augur of skulls are too strong in the current setup.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Indeed.
    I'll remove the name thing and move the counter placing to the beginning of the main phase, though I have to admit I still don't see against what the latter will help.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I'll remove the name thing and move the counter placing to the beginning of the main phase, though I have to admit I still don't see against what the latter will help.
    dte already spoiled it.
    T1 upkeep Cabal Therapist OTP is very strong. It's basically Cabal Therapy. But Cabal Therapist is balanced if it can only be played on T1 main phase (only triggers on T2 then).

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    6. PJim: Stomping Ground, Orcish Lumberjack, Aluren, Acererak the Archlich
    I found myself completely lacking in inspiration, more due to the now large banlist than the round rule, I think. As such, here I am repeating myself.

11. FTW: Swamp, Inkmoth Nexus, Fatal Push, Mesmeric Fiend / 3-3
    How do you 3-3?
    You have to beat not only T2 Mesmeric Fiend taking Acererak but also Fatal Push killing Orcish Lumberjack before you untap. 0-6?

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    dte already spoiled it.
    T1 upkeep Cabal Therapist OTP is very strong. It's basically Cabal Therapy. But Cabal Therapist is balanced if it can only be played on T1 main phase (only triggers on T2 then).
    I apologise if I spoiled too much here. I originally intended to just ask for a minor change of the rules, without mentioning the card. It would still stay strong, especially as triggers can stack, but wanted to propose to do something, as I would imagine anyone not aware of the card would just get whacked, which is not the most pleasant experience.

Cabal Therapist is still really good triggering on T2.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Cabal Therapist is still really good triggering on T2.
    Busy weekend... Should we ban Cabal Therapist? Seems like it would completely dominate the round.

Feb 2014

Busy weekend... Should we ban Cabal Therapist? Seems like it would completely dominate the round.
    I thought it would completely dominate with the previous setup (was even considering packing gut shot...), but with the rule change (counter on main phase) I do think it is fine. OTD you'll always at least have your vial@1 activation unaffected, and OTP both vial at 1 and 2. Plus now it had been mentioned and everyone is aware of it.

At a T2, to be really better than something like mesmeric fiend and the likes, you would have to chose a creature at 2 as a fodder, and that starts to be a dedicated deck. So I would think it could stay, it is a bit its chance to shine, strong but ok.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I think Cabal Therapist will be just fine with the timing change, there's a ton of other powerful things to be doing and ways to interact with it.

Sep 2011

I'm fine with not banning it. It was legal in previous rounds too, but never saw play. The unfair thing here was the interaction with the Vial emblem sneaking it into play before the precombat mainphase to get the turn 1 trigger.

About round rule. As I understand it, we are worried about is how overpowered round rule is if you can play mana value 1 creatures round 1 especially if you can cheat them in before beginning of upkeep.
    Cabal Therapist is just an example of a critter that benefits immensely from this, there might be others that have similar "problems".
    I suggest we change round rule to:
    Each player receives an emblem with: <rules text on aether vial> at the beginning of of their first pre-combat main phase.

It will definitely warp the round toward going for 1- and 2-drops as the primary counterstrategy (barring anti-discard tech); whether or not that is desirable is another issue entirely.

Sep 2011

Are we starting the round soon?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Are we starting the round soon?
    Busy times here, haven't even looked at the disagreement that was still there.
    I fear we'll need to skip a week.

This also gives the two entries I already received some time to send me a new deck, if they want to.
    And I don't want to rush the last rounds of the season, especially with how close it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    About round rule. As I understand it, we are worried about is how overpowered round rule is if you can play mana value 1 creatures round 1 especially if you can cheat them in before beginning of upkeep.
    Cabal Therapist is just an example of a critter that benefits immensely from this, there might be others that have similar "problems".
    I suggest we change round rule to:
    Each player receives an emblem with: <rules text on aether vial> at the beginning of of their first pre-combat main phase.
    Looks like most here think Cabal Therapist will be okay. If so, other cheap creatures like it will probably also be okay. It gives us expensive vs cheap in all its forms and shapes.
    Looking at the replies so far, I think we're probably safe and should have a fun round with the current plans.

So does the emblem tick up to 1 on the 1st upkeep, 1st main or 2nd turn upkeep?

The 2nd turn upkeep thing makes cabal therapist really good again, and only really helps people who are ignoring the round rule… I don’t think that is a good idea.

1st upkeep or 1st main I will defer to the majority, don’t care either way.

Thread Information