Page 247 of 332 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257297 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,940 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix
    2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity LL - I can try to stall on the play, but you can be patient.
    11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit LW
    How does T2 Smallpox+Nether Spirit beat you when T1 Pox+Nether Spirit can't?
    Either I missed an extra win here, or you should win one vs dte.

When you're on the draw, you can do nothing. dte has to cast Smallpox before you have any lands in play. You can then discard Isochron and play Sheltered Valley and Mishra's Factory. If Spirit attacks, Factory attacks back and Sheltered Valley should give you the edge in the race.

Edit: Interesting. If you play no lands, dte could do nothing until you're both at 2 life, then Smallpox skips his lethal trigger and puts you to 1 and you would lose on your turn. To avoid that you still have to act first even when dte is OTP, so he can remove 1 land to turn off your deck while Spirit races the Valley.
    When we are both at 2 life, Pox also takes 1 life each so I could do the same thing. WW for me?

I need to rethink some of my other matchups I thought I lost OTP by acting first.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon WL
    OTP you still can't play Isochron before Grief takes both spells from hand and the 4/3 Menace should race Factory + Valley. LL?

3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine

I expected a bunch of pox or smallpox so I played the anti-discard aggro deck. The reach also helps my decks a bunch.
    With the help of the round rule I kill a goldfish t3 OTP to beat the more Durdley decks.

1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field
    LL ?

2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity
    WW 6-0 what I was trying to beat.

4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival
    I goldfish on t3 WW 6-0

5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven
    I have too much of a life total head start once we start racing. WW 6-0

6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger
    WW?

7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar
    I can only get you to 7 before you stabilize. LL 0-6

8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit
    WW

9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon
    The plus 1 counter means I lose OTD. WL 3-3

10. PJim: Island, Slippery Bogle, Daze, Sea's Claim
    You can’t daze vengevine. WW

11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit
    What I was aiming to beat. WW

12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress
    Once we are set up each person nets -1 life each turn. But I get a 3 damage head start even OTD. WW 6-0

13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix
    OTP I goldfish you to 1 so you die to either the round rule or my vengevine. OTD you stabilize on t4 at 5. WL 3-3

14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs
    OTP I am to fast for you to deploy everything. OTD you are able to pox me just in time to stabilize at 5. WL 3-3

15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth LL 0-6

16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley LL 0-6
    17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth LL 0-6
    18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated WW 6-0

21 W 13 L for 63/102?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    60 points
    Nice deck. Daze + Claim was strong against all the turn 2 decks and Sheltered Valleys.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

Edit: Interesting. If you play no lands, dte could do nothing until you're both at 2 life, then Smallpox skips his lethal trigger and puts you to 1 and you would lose on your turn. To avoid that you still have to act first even when dte is OTP, so he can remove 1 land to turn off your deck while Spirit races the Valley.
    When we are both at 2 life, Pox also takes 1 life each so I could do the same thing. WW for me?
    Makes sense to me.

OTP you still can't play Isochron before Grief takes both spells from hand and the 4/3 Menace should race Factory + Valley. LL?
    I missed that Grief has menace, which looks silly in hindsight because of course grief shouldn't be easy to block.

me: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival

Again, this is a deck from earlier in this thread. If I don't get rid of Noxious Revival
    sooner due to discard, I can cast it targeting a Lotus Bloom between when I cast
    Barren Glory and my next turn to empty my hand. In particular, I goldfish on T5.

63 points

1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field WW 6-0

Since Inkmoth Nexus will have infect, it won't cause me to lose any life.
    It also can't sufficiently poison me in time, so it doesn't affect this matchup.
    Thus, we start with you playing T1 Sleeper Agent. On each of my first 4 turns,
    I take 2 damage from Sleeper Agent lose 2 life to the round rule.
    On your T5, I pay 2 life for Noxious Revival. That leaves my at 2 life.
    In my T5 upkeep, I control both triggers, so I put the Barren Glory trigger on top.
    That wins for me before the Sleeper Agent trigger would kill me.

2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity WW 6-0

Smallpox can't make me sacrifice an artifact or enchantment, and Noxious Revival would
    be the last card to leave my hand, so I can just discard Noxious Revival to Smallpox.
    I lose 1 life to Smallpox or pay 2 life to cast Noxious Revival.
    Nether Spirit doesn't have haste, so Nether Spirit attacks at most 4 times before my T5.
    On each of my first 4 turns, I lose 2 life to the round rule.
    That totals at most 18 life lost, so Barren Glory wins for me.

3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine WW 6-0

I see that we disagree here. I believe you missed
    that I can obNoxiously Revive Vengevine.

If you do nothing, then I use Noxious Revival on a Lotus Bloom in the
    end step just before my T5, in which case I win without any attacks.
    Thus, we start with with you T1 tapping Bazaar of Baghdad.
    With both madness triggers still on the stack or in response to Vengevine's trigger
    or anytime in-between, I cast Noxious Revival targetting Vengevine.
    Since Bazaar of Baghdad will already be tapped and you can't cast anything else,
    that completely stops Vengevine, so you just get two 1/1s.
    They don't have haste, so they deal at most 8 damage before my T5.
    I paid 2 life for Noxious Revival, and I lose 8 life to the round rule before my T5.

4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival this is me

5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven WW 6-0

I show that I get WW even without Noxious Revival targeting Cauldron Familiar.
    For this showing, Duress taking Noxious Revival only helps me.
    Duress is a Sorcery, so if it takes anything else before I cast Barren Glory,
    then in the end step I cast Noxious Revival targeting whatever I discarded.
    In such cases, I draw whatever I discarded before my next turn's main phases,
    so that does not slow me down. After I cast Barren Glory, Noxious Revival
    is the only thing Duress could take, and as I mentioned, that only helps me.
    Thus, for this showing, Duress doesn't help you.
    On your T1, I can lose 1 life to Cauldron Familiar, but I can't
    lose more before your T2, since your creature doesn't have haste
    and you can't cast both parts of your combo in the same turn.
    For each of your 4 turns after that, I take 1 combat damage from
    Cauldron Familiar and lose 1 life to it re-entering the battlefield.
    I lose 8 life to the round rule before my T5, and pay 2 life to cast Noxious Revival.
    That totals at most 19 life lost, so Barren Glory wins for me.

6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger WL 3-3

On T1, Village Messenger attacks for 1. Noxious Revival won't have a target until T4,
    so I can't stop your creature from transforming during your T2 upkeep.
    On T2 and T3, Moonrise Intruder attacks for 2 each, but you can't deal
    any more damage during those turns, since either Keldon Megaliths
    will be tapped or Frostwalk Bastion would be summoning-sick.
    On T4, Keldon Megaliths would deal less damage to me than Frostwalk Bastion,
    so Frostwalk Bastion and your other creature attack, dealing 3 or 4 damage to me.
    At this point, you have dealt at most 9 damage to me. I lose 8 life
    to the round rule before my T5, and pay 2 life to cast Noxious Revival.
    That totals at most 19 life lost, so Barren Glory wins for me when I am OTP.
    When I am OTD, you attack me on T5 too, dealing at least 3 damage to me.
    At this point, you have deal at least 11 damage to me,
    and I have lost 8 life to the round rule.
    That totals at least 19 life lost, so I can't afford Noxious Revival,
    which means I lose no later than my T5 end step.

7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar WL 3-3

when I am OTP:
    I lose 1 life on your T1, since Cauldron Familiar doesn't have haste.
    On your T2, I take 1 combat damage from Cauldron Familiar
    and lose 1 life to it re-entering the battlefield.
    For each of your 2 turns after that, I take 1 combat damage from
    Cauldron Familiar and lose 2 life to it re-entering the battlefield.
    I lose 8 life to the round rule before my T5, and pay 2 life to cast Noxious Revival.

when I am OTD:
    If I don't cast Noxious Revival targeting Cauldron Familiar, then
    before my T5, I will lose 12 life instead of 9 life to your stuff
    (as opposed to the round rule and paying for Noxious Revival).
    In that case, since I would also lose 8 life to the round rule,
    I would lose the game before my T5.
    If I use Noxious Revival targeting Cauldron Familiar on T3 or later, that saves me 2 life
    from 2 Cauldron Familiar entries on that turn, but no more, since you still get that
    turn's attack and for your next turn, you get an additional entry instead of an attack.
    That results in me losing 10 life to your stuff before my T5.
    If I use Noxious Revival targeting Cauldron Familiar on T2, then my life-loss pattern is
    [T1: 1 from entry] , [T2: 1 combat] , [T3: 2 from entry] , [T4+T5: 2 each from entry] .
    That results in me still losing 10 life to your stuff before my T5.
    In either case, I also pay 2 life to cast Noxious Revival and lose
    8 life to the round rule, so I still lose the game before my T5.

8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit WW 6-0

Smallpox can't make me sacrifice an artifact or enchantment, and Noxious Revival would
    be the last card to leave my hand, so I can just discard Noxious Revival to Smallpox.
    Nether Spirit doesn't have haste, so Nether Spirit attacks at most 4 times before my T5.

9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon LL 0-6

You play Swamp, then pitch Vampire to evoke Grief
    and put the EtB trigger above the evoke trigger.
    Before the Evoke trigger resolves, but either before or after
    the EtB trigger resolves, you cast Undying Evil targeting Grief.
    Grief takes Noxious Revival, and Grief is not yet in a graveyard,
    me casting Noxious Revival instead of discarding it doesn't help me.
    Grief returns as a 4/3, so it can deal at least 12 damage to me before my T5.
    I also lose 8 life to the round rule before my T5, so you win.

10. PJim: Island, Slippery Bogle, Daze, Sea's Claim LL 0-6

You cast Daze on Barren Glory. Me getting it back doesn't help me,
    since I won't be able to cast it again, so your 1/1 wins for you.

11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit WL 3-3

For my initial post, I had confused Pox with Smallpox.
    I realized this when I read through FTW's results-post.

when I am OTD:
    You cast T1 Pox. That makes me discard 2 cards, so I can't win.
    You discard Nether Spirit, which then wins for you.

when I am OTP:
    I suspend both Lotus Blooms on T1, so I won't have to discard more than 1 card to Pox.
    Noxious Revival would be the last card to leave my hand,
    so Pox can't make me discard Barren Glory.
    Smallpox also doesn't affect artifacts or enchantments on the battlefield,
    so it can't stop Barren Glory that way either.
    If you do nothing before your T4 end step, then I
    cast Noxious Revival that step, to win with 10 life left.
    If you cast Nether Spirit before that step, then it only gets 3 attacks before my T5.
    Those would cause me to lose at 6 life. I pay 2 life to cast Noxious Revival
    and lose 8 life to the round rule, so I would win with 4 life left.
    If you cast Pox before your T4 end step, then I discard.
    You get Nether Spirit back on T2, so it only gets 2 attacks before my T5.
    In that case, Pox makes me lose 7 life, Nether Spirit makes me lose 4 life,
    the round rule makes me lose 8 life, and I discarded Noxious Revival.

12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress WW 6-0

Urborg vs Swamp doesn't matter here, so this works the same as me against alphastryk.

13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix WW 6-0

You cast Isochron Scepter on your T2, and don't have mana to
    activate it that turn, so you only get 3 activations before my T5.
    Those activations only deal 9 damage to me.

14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs WW 6-0

Before my T5, I lose at most 3 life to Sanctum of Stone Fangs.
    That totals at most 13 life lost, so Barren Glory wins for me.

15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth LL 0-6

You win on your T3. (It would be T4, but the round rule speeds things up.)

16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley WW 6-0

Before my T5, I lose at most 3 life to Sanctum of Stone Fangs.
    That totals at most 13 life lost, so Barren Glory wins for me.

17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth LL 0-6

You win on your T3. (It would be T4, but the round rule speeds things up.)

18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated LL 0-6

You cast Karn Liberated on T3, so you can exile
    Barren Glory from the battlefield if I cast it.
    Otherwise, you use his +4 on your turns 3,4,5,6.
    The result of that is, on T7, Karn has exiled Barren Glory and has at least 15 loyalty.
    Thus, you get his ultimate on T7, which is before you could lose to the round rule,
    and restart with Barren Glory on the battlefield under your control.
    This time, you use his +4 on T3 and T4, and exile your
    own lands followed by Karn himself on your turns 5,6,7,8.
    That lets you win on T9, still before you could lose to the round rule.
    Last edited by Phasmoid; 06-24-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fixed due to 1 and stayed with other

My deck

15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth

Why? As DTE, I thought Grief would be way more popular. In particular because it seems to be a strict upgrade to Unmask which was banned the round before.
    I built several leyline deck but none of them was really convincing and too narrow except Leyline of the meek / Leyline of Sanctity / great furnace / rebirth.
    Then, I looked at option available to beat greaf. Land.dek was good at it, but felt a little bit weak as well. DS was not too bad but I was not convinced as well as it loses vs Grief OTP.
    Then, I realize we could just ignore Grief by playing 3 Chancellor and thought this deck would be popular as there was several occurences last season.

So, I decided to take back and play Rebirth / Furnace in order to beat the mirror since :
    - Grief + Field of Despair was also beating the 3*chancellor version OTD
    - Little bit slower vs control but bigger vs other creatures deck
    - I was not expecting duress to be popular

The entries:
    WL - I like this synergy
    3 Pts
    Turn 1, 4Token M20-Y18
    Turn2 Sea M20-Y16
    Turn3 Attack M20-Y8
    Turn4 Field M20-Y6
    Turn5 Nothing M18-Y6
    Turn6 Sleeper Agent M18-Y4
    Turn7 M14-Y4 M14-Y2 M10-Y2 M10-Y0

On the draw, I am too slow.

2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity WL
    WW - I am too fast
    9Pts

3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine
    WW
    15 Pts
    OTP
    Turn1, 4 Token M20-Y18
    Turn2, Get your 3 creatures in play. If you attack with VV, I trade with two tokens and I win the race, so you dont. M20-Y16
    Turn3, Nothing M18-Y16. Now, if you dont dont attack, you will lose the race, so you have to. I double block Vine, eat a token if you attack and win from there.

OTD
    Turn1, Get your 3 creatures in play, attack with VV block with token M20-Y18
    Turn2, Create 3 tokens M18-Y18
    Turn3 is similar scenario to OTP, I eat VV if vengevine with two token. And Antagonism will kill you first.

WW - I had a similar deck with triple bloom + Worldfire and it was not kept because too slow
    21 Pts
    I kill on T3 in gold fish
    OTD
    T1 Y18-M20
    T2 Y16-M20
    T3 Y14-M20
    T4 Y6-M20
    T5 Y4-M20
    T6 -4-20

WL
    24 Pts
    OTD you grab rebirth, GG
    OTP you can not really block profitably and I am too fast

6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger
    WW - I am too fast
    30 Pts
    OTD
    Turn1 Mountain Messenger M20-Y18
    Turn2 Attack, play 3 Token M20-Y16
    Turn3 Megalith M20-Y14
    Turn4 Messnger flips, Attack with 4 Tokens, One trade M20-8
    And you die turn 6 or 8

WW - I am too fast
    36Pts
    You drain for +2/-2 per turn while I deal 6 damage

WW
    42 Pts
    OTD
    Turn1 Stronghold M20-Y18
    Turn2 Attack with one token, 3 more are played M20-Y16
    Turn3 Play Pox, discard Spirit, me sac a token, play Valley M20-Y16
    Turn4 Attack with 3 Token M20-Y10
    Turn5 +1Life, returns Spirit M20-Y9
    TurnXX I play the waiting game M18-Y9 -> M18-Y8 -> M16-Y8 -> .... -> M6-Y2 and I attack with two tokens for the win

WL
    45 Pts
    OTD, you grab rebirth game over
    OTP
    Turn1, 4 Token M20-Y18
    Turn2, two options Grief 4/3 or Vampire + Evil for next turn
    If you play grief, I play the waiting game and I win
    If you play vampire. M20-Y16
    Turn3, Attack with 4 Tokens M20-Y8
    And you life total is too low

WW
    51 Pts
    Chancelor wins alone

WW
    57Pts
    OTP
    Turn 1, 2/2 attack, 3 2/2 Are played M20-Y18
    Turn2 Pox, Spirit in the Grave, 2 2/2 are sacrified M13-Y12
    Turn3 2 2/2 attack N13-L8
    Turn4 Spirit come back, waiting game from there and I win

Similar OTD

WL
    60 Pts
    See alphastryk

WL
    63 Pts

OTP
    Turn1 M20-Y18
    Turn2 Valley M20-Y16
    Turn3 M20-Y8
    Turn4 +1Life, Play Scepter M20-Y7
    Turn5 Attack for 8

OTD
    Turn1 Valley M20-Y18
    Turn2 1 2/2 Attack, 3 2/2 played M20-Y16
    Turn3 +1 Life, play scepter M20-Y15
    Turn4 Attack for 8, M20-Y7
    Turn5 +1 Life, Shoot a token +3Life, -2Life Emblem, M20-Y9
    Turn6 Attack for 6, M20-Y3
    Turn7 +1 Life Shoot a token +3Life, -2 Life Emblem, M20-Y5
    Turn8 Attack for 4, M20-Y1
    Turn9 +1 Life Shoot a token +3Life, -2 Life Emblem, M20-Y3
    Turn10 Attack for 2, and you win, a close one

14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs]
    WW
    69 Pts
    OTP
    Turn1 2/2 attack, 3 tokens are played M20-Y18
    Turn2 Maze, M20-Y16
    Turn3 Attack, Maze prevents one M20-Y10
    Turn4 Pox too slow and you can not cast sanctum anymore. Sanctum too slow as well

OTD
    Turn1 Maze M20-Y18
    Turn2 3 Tokens, maze prevents M18-Y18
    Turn3 Play Sanctum M18-Y16
    Turn4 Attack with 4 tokens M18-Y8
    Turn5 M17-Y9, Play Pox, Token is sacced M16-Y8
    Turn6 Attack with 3 tokens M16-Y2
    Turn7 M15-Y3
    Turn8 Attack with 3 tokens gg

16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley
    LL
    69 Pts

17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth
    WL the Mirror
    72 Pts
    18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated
    WW - Too slow
    78 Pts

A good choice for this round, triple chancellor was probably even better since chancellor and creature deck did not show up.

I can't believe GoblinSmashmaster missed a chance to smash with goblins.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    me: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival

2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity WW 6-0

I don't target you, so this is no better for you than for FTW.

8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit WW 6-0

I don't care about your life total, so this is no better for you than for FTW.
    Pox is a different card from Smallpox.
    Smallpox only discards 1 and takes 1 life, so you can discard or cast Noxious and keep Barren Glory to win.
    Pox takes 1/3 of your hand and 1/3 of your life, rounded up.

11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit WW 6-0

When I go first, you still have Lotus Blooms in hand (4 card hand) so Pox discards 2 cards from you. You can't win after discarding 2.
    When you go first, you can suspend the Lotus Blooms first (2 card hand) so Pox can only discard 1 card but still takes 6 life from you. Nether Spirit is too slow, so you win at 2 life.

Edit: I see you already noticed and corrected it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    My deck

15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth

Why? As DTE, I thought Grief would be way more popular. In particular because it seems to be a strict upgrade to Unmask which was banned the round before.
    I built several leyline deck but none of them was really convincing and too narrow except Leyline of the meek / Leyline of Sanctity / great furnace / rebirth.
    Then, I looked at option available to beat greaf. Land.dek was good at it, but felt a little bit weak as well. DS was not too bad but I was not convinced as well as it loses vs Grief OTP.
    Then, I realize we could just ignore Grief by playing 3 Chancellor and thought this deck would be popular as there was several occurences last season.

So, I decided to take back and play Rebirth / Furnace in order to beat the mirror since :

A good choice for this round, triple chancellor was probably even better since chancellor and creature deck did not show up.
    Smart deck choice! Rebirth was good tech to beat 3x Chancellor, which surprisingly GoblinSmashmaster did not play!

I was counting on him to validate my choice

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

My deck

Once again, just to be a little bit more precise, we discussed all the possible decks and ended up with a meta of:
    Lands deck (Something like maze of ith, mishra's factory, sheltered valley and leyline of sanctity)
    Control with energy field or island sanctuary + valey and something to deal damage (Megaliths)
    Discard (Grief + ephemerate or reanimate, we skipped undiying evil but that was a nice find Gobelinsmashmaster, but our 4th card was force of despair against goblin decks)
    Ultra aggro (Triple chancellor plus leyline of the meek or chancellor + rebirth).
    Death shadow + discard + removal.
    One fun deck that was not mentionned but was probably too bad: Triple lotus bloom + worldfire (only wins vs control and lands).

Then, we made separate choices.
    I personnaly liked the fact that those triple gobs could nearly ensure each time a win OTD and i really thought they would be popular... it's indeed a real surprise to see goblinsmashmaster playing grief over gobs. So i choose the slower version that produces 4 bodies to win against the Ultra-ultra aggro version of 3 chancellors...

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I goldfish on t3 WW 6-0
    You goldfish on T3, but I am not a goldfish: I can obNoxiously Revive Vengevine.
    I believe this is WW for me. My results-post has analysis for this.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

My deck

WL - I like this synergy
    3 Pts
    Turn 1, 4Token M20-Y18
    Turn2 Sea M20-Y16
    Turn3 Attack M20-Y8
    Turn4 Field M20-Y6
    Turn5 Nothing M18-Y6
    Turn6 Sleeper Agent M18-Y4
    Turn7 M14-Y4 M14-Y2 M10-Y2 M10-Y0

On the draw, I am too slow.
    I would like to point out that you're getting a "free" Sleeper Agent on my first turn.

I would also like to point out that I screwed up and sent myself the wrong Nexus, but that's beside the point.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Thinking about jhhdk's submission makes me realize that, for round-rules,
    I don't know if this thread has decided how it would handle the situation of

an infinite loop, with each player taking infinitely many full turns
    where
    1 of the players is taking optional actions and the other is doing nothing

Specifically, this could have happened for

jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated
    hypothetical: Cave-In, Cave-In, Pyrokinesis, Pyrokinesis

I will refer to hypothetical as NPD, for "no permanents deck".
    NPD can cast Cave-In on T1 and T2, to take a lead in life due to the round rule,
    so jhhdk needs to restart the game before jhhdk loses to the round rule.
    jhhdk can do that by using Karn's +4 on T3 and T4 and the
    ultimate on T5, since jhhdk loses at most 12 life in the meantime.
    Karn's rulings state "The player who controlled the ability that
    restarted the game is the starting player in the new game.",
    so after a restart, jhhdk would lose to the round rule if no one does anything.
    Even if NPD still does nothing, the only way jhhdk
    can avoid that is by restarting the game again.

This would result in an infinite loop where each player takes infinitely many full turns,
    during which NPD is doing nothing and jhhdk is taking optional actions.
    Would jhhdk have to break that loop, and thereby lose?

Thinking about jhhdk's submission makes me realize that, for round-rules,
    I don't know if this thread has decided how it would handle the situation of

an infinite loop, with each player taking infinitely many full turns
    where
    1 of the players is taking optional actions and the other is doing nothing

Specifically, this could have happened for

jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated
    hypothetical: Cave-In, Cave-In, Pyrokinesis, Pyrokinesis

I will refer to hypothetical as NPD, for "no permanents deck".
    NPD can cast Cave-In on T1 and T2, to take a lead in life due to the round rule,
    so jhhdk needs to restart the game before jhhdk loses to the round rule.
    jhhdk can do that by using Karn's +4 on T3 and T4 and the
    ultimate on T5, since jhhdk loses at most 12 life in the meantime.
    Karn's rulings state "The player who controlled the ability that
    restarted the game is the starting player in the new game.",
    so after a restart, jhhdk would lose to the round rule if no one does anything.
    Even if NPD still does nothing, the only way jhhdk
    can avoid that is by restarting the game again.

This would result in an infinite loop where each player takes infinitely many full turns,
    during which NPD is doing nothing and jhhdk is taking optional actions.
    Would jhhdk have to break that loop, and thereby lose?
    We have already dealt with the world of loop rules (it cost me points because I used the targeting Time Warp), and jhhdk would indeed have to break the loop by losing.

EvilGriefmaster Results for Round "I missed Goblins again :("

This round we play Antagonism: At the beginning of each player’s end step, that player loses 2 life unless one of their opponents lost life that turn.
    (This triggered ability has no controller or target, so effects that care about either will do nothing.)

Grief the field 6-0

Vampire undies 3-3

Grief beats revenge 3-3

Grief over glory 6-0

Grief is familiar 6-0

Grief the village 6-0

Grief in the oven 6-0

Grief smallpox 6-0

That's me causing grief with nongoblins ???

Grief leaves you dazed 6-0

Grief pox 3-3

Grief is familiar 6-0

Grief the scepter 6-0

14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs
    Grief is amazed 3-3

Grief before rebirth 3-3

16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley
    Grief the field 6-0

17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth
    Grief before rebirth 3-3

Grief before liberation 6-0

Total: 84 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 06-24-2021 at 07:36 PM.

You goldfish on T3, but I am not a goldfish: I can obNoxiously Revive Vengevine.
    I believe this is WW for me. My results-post has analysis for this.
    You are correct that I can’t play around the gy hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I would like to point out that you're getting a "free" Sleeper Agent on my first turn.

I would also like to point out that I screwed up and sent myself the wrong Nexus, but that's beside the point.
    I assumed sleeper agent was on your upkeep to satisfy the round rules. Actually WW for me since you can’t recover From the more than 10 point head-start in life.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Fun round, I originally thought to go with Energy Field or Island Sanctuary, but realized Energy Fields doesn't stop the round rule and Sanctuary is narrow.

OTP Duress takes Energy Field. OTD I *think* because Inkmoth doesn't deal cause loss of life that I win the races against both Inkmoth and Agent with the combination of Cat+Oven and the round rule? Will revisit math on this. Tentative WW

6-0

Leyline beats Duress, but my combo is too slow to beat Smallpox OTD. WL

3-3

You're too fast. LL

0-6

Great choice as it races the round rule and beats single discard including Smallpox. LL

0-6

My Cat+Oven deck

Duress, is a blank, and I think you just have too many threats. LL

0-6

The Cat+Oven mirror! Double Oven is faster, so I have to Duress one of yours. After that it turns into a staring / draining contest. DD

2-2

OTP I can Duress Smallpox, but I can't ever win the race. LL

0-6

OTP I can Duress Undying Evil, leaving you with the choice of Vampire or evoking Grief. If you play Vampire, you lose to Cat + Oven. Instead, you can evoke Grief for the draw. OTD You can evoke Grief and get it back with Undying Evil, and kill me with Grief. DL

1-4

OTP Familiar wins the race, OTP I can't beat Daze + Claim. WL

3-3

OTP I can Duress Ritual for the win, OTD I can't beat Pox. WL

3-3

The true Cat+Oven mirror! Whoever is OTP can jam Oven to protect it from Duress. WL

3-3

Duress can always take Scepter, and Cat + Oven races Factory + Valley because I can always block Factory + sacrifice to Oven, then rebuy Cat on my turn to avoid the round rule. WW

6-0

OTP, I can Duress Sanctum and play Cat, and the Cat's ETB trigger combined with the round rule wins it. OTD, I have to Duress Smallpox, but it becomes a race between your turn 2 Sanctum and my turn 3 Cat+Oven. From there, we trade life draining forever for the draw. WD

4-1

OTP I Duress Rebirth for the win, OTD I'm too slow. WL

3-3

Duress is always able to take away Sanctum, and Energy Field doesn't stop the round rule. WW

6-0

OTP I Duress Rebirth for the win, OTD I'm too slow. WL

3-3

Duress Karn. WW

6-0

Total: 49 points if my math is right

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    EvilGriefmaster Results for Round "I missed Goblins again :("
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    Total: 84 points
    So, not smashing with goblins, but that seems like a smashing performance anyway.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post

Is this another case of Asthereal loses to own round rules?

Energy Field doesn't prevent the life loss
    Sleeper Agent damaged happens on the wrong player's turn to prevent the trigger
    Inkmoth Nexus damage is replaced by poison counters, so it doesn't get sped up by the Antagonism clock, and I think the life loss might still happen but not 100% sure

Thanks for doing such a great job organizing 4CB though! These deviant rounds have been very creative and fun.

Thread Information