Page 316 of 332 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence
    That's me, playing deathtouch goblins!

8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace
    Assassin smash, then Angel smash 3-3
    Disagreement. I think Rooster is right.
    Going first is a huge advantage to both players, but Rooster can still stabilize after Goblin's big start.

When Rooster goes first, Rooster keeps the Monarch. On 2nd upkeep 4/4 Angel. Angels can just chump the Assassins, never losing Monarch. Runaway win.

When Goblin goes first, the 1st Assassin attacks once before Court makes tokens. Goblin steals the Monarch, Vraska grows the token (2/2) and makes a 2nd (1/1), then Rooster only gets a 1/1. The vertical growth Assassins are faster than Court's 1/1s (maybe why Goblin thought it was a win). But the flying Spirits can just kill Vraska to stop the growth, then steal back the Monarch and catch up.

T1 Vraska -> 1/1 Assassin
    Court

T2 Grow to 2/2 [R=19], steal Monarch, & make 2nd 1/1
    Court makes 1/1 Spirit

T3 Both Assassin's attack [R=16]. 3/3 & 2/2.
    2nd Spirit. Kill Vraska

T4 3/3 and 2/2 attack [R=11]. No more growth.
    3rd Spirit. 1 attacks, get back Monarch

T5 3/3 and 2/2 attack, both chumped
    4/4 Angel + 1 spirit left

T6 3/3 trades with 4/4 Angel, 2/2 chumped by 1/1 spirit.
    Another 4/4 Angel

T7 2/2 trades with Angel
    Another 4/4 Angel
    Rooster wins

WW 6-0 for Rooster

For the turn 1 Court of Grace vs. turn 1 Garruk Relentless disagreement, I still don't see a way for me to win when I'm on the draw. For me to kill Garruk: on T1 maxx! gets a 2/2, on my T1 I get my enchantment. On T2 maxx! gets another 2/2 and attacks me and takes the monarch, so I'm at 18, on my turn I get a 1/1 token with flying. On T3 maxx! gets a third 2/2, and attacks me to 14. On my turn I attack Garruk to 2 loyalty and flip him, and get a second 1/1. On T4 maxx! gets a 1/1 with deathtouch and Garruk goes to 3 loyalty, and attacks me with the 3 2/2s putting me at 8 life. It is clear at this point that I can't kill Garruk quickly enough to stop maxx!'s token production and get the monarchy back for a full turn, so I lose. Is there a different line that I'm missing?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Assuming the above analysis of the disagreements is correct, and it looks correct to me, here's standings for round 7:
    1. FTW: 39 - 4,3
    2. alphastryk: 36 - 4
    3. RoosterCocoa: 33 - 3,7
    4. Asthereal (TO): 29 - 3,2
    4. Reeplcheep: 29 - 3,2
    6. dte: 24 - 2,7
    7. Phasmoid: 22 - 2,4
    7. silkster: 22 - 2,4
    9. maxx!: 21 - 2,3
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: 12 - 1,3

Which leads to these bannings:
    Assassin's Trophy
    Botanical Sanctum
    Bottomless Vault
    Court of Grace
    Golgari Rot Farm
    Lotus Petal
    Lush Growth
    Mental Misstep
    Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
    Ranger Class
    Raven’s Crime
    The Eldest Reborn
    Tolarian Academy
    Treetop Village
    Unmask
    Wind Zendikon

And not much changes in the season standings.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 8 OF SEASON 12: VINTAGE CREATURELESS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 8, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 25th of May at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Mountain, Plains, Forest, Shivan Gorge.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S12R08 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    For the turn 1 Court of Grace vs. turn 1 Garruk Relentless disagreement, I still don't see a way for me to win when I'm on the draw. For me to kill Garruk: on T1 maxx! gets a 2/2, on my T1 I get my enchantment. On T2 maxx! gets another 2/2 and attacks me and takes the monarch, so I'm at 18, on my turn I get a 1/1 token with flying. On T3 maxx! gets a third 2/2, and attacks me to 14. On my turn I attack Garruk to 2 loyalty and flip him, and get a second 1/1. On T4 maxx! gets a 1/1 with deathtouch and Garruk goes to 3 loyalty, and attacks me with the 3 2/2s putting me at 8 life. It is clear at this point that I can't kill Garruk quickly enough to stop maxx!'s token production and get the monarchy back for a full turn, so I lose. Is there a different line that I'm missing?
    I think you're right. I didn't do the full math because I knew your flyers could kill Garruk, but 1/1 flyers that don't start showing up until your 2nd upkeep are a bit too slow. If you attack me to become the Monarch then I just take it back on my turn, and attacking Garruk isn't fast enough. 3-3 looks right.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    7. Reeplcheep: 27 - 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    4. Reeplcheep: 29 - 3,2
    It appears I am the master of doing just well enough to get my deck banned.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Apologies for the slow posting. I'm a bit under the weather at the moment. But here's decks:

DECKS FOR ROUND 8 OF SEASON 12: Vintage Creatureless Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Mana Vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust Bowl
    2. dte: Swamp, Encroach, tel-jilad stylus, sarcomancy
    3. alphastryk: Swamp, Pithing Needle->Swamp, Sphere of Annihilation, Sarcomancy
    4. Phasmoid: Volcanic Island, Volcanic Island, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Energy Field
    5. Reeplcheep: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival
    6. RoosterCocoa: Underground Sea, Encroach, Void Snare, Sarcomancy
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Peat Bog, Badlands, Goblin Assault, Attrition
    8. maxx!: Swamp, Encroach, Sarcomancy, Funeral Charm
    9. FTW: Hickory Woodlot, Rhonas's Last Stand, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Force of Vigor
    10. silkster: Tomb of Urami, Molten Slagheap, Gut Shot, Drill Bit

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-26-2022 at 06:37 AM.

Sep 2011

9. FTW: Hickory Woodlot, Rhonas's Last Stand, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Force of Vigor

I expected more Mana Vault than Encroach, especially when basic+Mana Vault was possible. I'm weak to Encroach. Let's see how this goes.

1. Asthereal (TO): You can never get 4 mana. If you cast & activate Key, I respond with FoV on Key & Vault. If you pass with Mana Vault (no Key), I FoV it on end step. WW 6-0
    2. dte: OTD I lose to Encroach. OTP I play Woodlot and use FoV to disrupt Stylus+Sarcomancy. 5/4 beats 2/2. WL 3-3
    3. alphastryk: I FoV Sphere, then a 5/4 beats 2/2. WW 6-0
    4. Phasmoid: I FoV Energy Field (& Curse if it's out) and win with a 5/4. WW 6-0
    5. Reeplcheep: I FoV Barren Glory. WW 6-0
    6. RoosterCocoa: OTD I lose to Encroach. OTP I play Woodlot into Wheel. Then if you Void Snare the 5/4, I can make more. If you Void Snare the Wheel before I cast Rhonas, one 5/4 wins. WL 3-3
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: I FoV Goblin Assault before you get any tokens. WW 6-0
    8. maxx!: OTD I lose to Encroach. OTP I play Woodlot and start making many 5/4s. I can discard FoV to Funeral Charm. WL 3-3
    10. silkster: Nice tech! I lose to T1 Drill Bit taking Rhonas and can't disrupt you with Force. LL 0-6

39 points (13 wins, 5 loss)

Rhonas+Wheel math below. It makes a 5/4 every 2nd turn starting Turn 3.
    T1 tapped Woodlot
    T2 Wheel
    T3 sac Woodlot to float GG, 5/4 (Library = Woodlot, Rhonas)
    T4 draw and play tapped Woodlot
    T5 5/4
    T6 redraw Rhonas but land doesn't untap
    T7 sac Woodlot to float GG, 5/4
    T8 draw and play tapped Woodlot
    T9 5/4

Edit: My gauntlet had Mana Vault decks, Barren Glory, Stylus, Energy Field... then I noticed they were all enchantments and artifacts and FoV was unused.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

OTP, Needle stops Vault for the win. OTD, Needle stops Karn and Sphere wipes out any leftover tokens. WW

6-0

Stylus to recur Sarcomancy over and over is cool tech. I should always be able to Pithing Needle it though, so this becomes a Sarcomancy mirror. If you play out Sarcomancy first, I Sphere to kill your token and don't need to produce my own threat. If I play my Sarcomancy proactively, the best you can do is play yours to make a blocker. If you do that, I can Sphere, and because I can make Sphere blow up the tokens on my turn after the Sarcomancy check happens, I win that race. WW

6-0

3. alphastryk: Swamp, Pithing Needle, Sphere of Annihilation, Sarcomancy
    Me. I went back and forth on a lot of things but ultimately decided I wanted to make sure I could beat the Mana Vault decks. Needle and Sphere to clean up tokens seemed like it should handle those decks and the Lich's Mirror deck. Needle also incidentally beats the Barren Glory decks and some storage lands.

4. Phasmoid: Volcanic Island, Volcanic Island, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Energy Field
    I cannot stop Curse or get through Energy Field. LL

0-6

Pithing Needle on Lotus Bloom does the job. WW

6-0

Oh hey I had this version somewhere in my brewing as well. We can't interact with lands, and Encroach & Needle are blanks, so lets see how our 4th cards compare. If I ever play Sarcomancy proactively, you Snare my token and don't need to do anything else. If you lead with Sarcomancy, I can Sphere your token, but you can Snare to get Sarcomancy back. From there, whoever is losing the race can always trade Zombies to flip the race backwards to lifeless from Sarcomancy, so we stare. DD

2-2

I can't beat endless Goblins. LL

0-6

We can't interact with lands, and Encroach & Needle are blanks, so lets see how our 4th cards compare. If you play Sarcomancy proactively, I can Sphere the token for the win. If I play mine proactively, the best you can do is play yours to make a blocker. If you do that, I can Sphere, and because I can make Sphere blow up the tokens on my turn after the Sarcomancy check happens, I win that race. WW

6-0

I knew I wasn't well setup to beat the Last Stand deck from last round, this is even more painful. LL

0-6

OTP I can get one thing in under Drill Bit, so its a question of whether its better to Jam Sarcomancy and race or Needle Slagheap for the draw. If I jam, you make your 5/5 on your turn 6 (taking 5 damage from Tomb along the way). I can only do 8 damage with my Zombie before then, and you can win with the Demon by attacking 4 times (I still need 4 attacks as well so I lose that race), so I jam Needle for the draw. OTD you take my Needle and win the race. DL

1-4

Total: 27 points

Encroach and tabernacle seemed to me to be the best interaction left. So I stole an old deck.

I just assumed you weren’t fast enough here making the deck… WW 6-0?
    0-6 per below.

Oops all spells :) WW 6-0

Needling bloom only affects suspend. Disagreement. WL 3-3
    Needle is banned? WW 6-0

I kinda want all my stuff to die anyways. WW 6-0

Enchantment removal LL 0-6

No creatures WW 6-0

Oops all spells, & I can survive 1 discard. WW 6-0

I missed FoV as good remaining interaction. LL 0-6

I can survive 1 discard WW 6-0.

Of course my best performance is with someone else’s deck.
    12 W 6L for 36/54 conditional on asthereal confirming his goldfish.

maxx!: Swamp, Encroach, Sarcomancy, Funeral Charm

OTP Encroach gets you. OTD I can't beat Karn. 3-3

Nice tech with the Stylus! I did not think of that. Your zombies run over mine easily. 0-6

Pithing Needle is banned, so I guess that's another Swamp? I can't force you to discard Sphere, and I can't play my Sarcomancy first. I can play mine after yours, but you can Sphere for 0 and leave the Sarcomancies in play, causing mine to kill me a turn before yours kills you. I don't see a way out of this one. 0-6

Encroach wins this one by itself. 6-0

Funeral Charm isn't enough. 0-6

Nice deck. OTP Encroach beats you. OTD you can bounce my Zombie and there's nothing I can do about it. 3-3

Encroach takes a land and wins. 6-0

This is me :]

OTP Encroach wins. OTD I can't beat the 5/4. 3-3

OTP I Encroach Tomb and you can't do anything but Gut Shot one time. OTD you can Drill Bit me right away, but I think the best you can do is draw. If you take Encroach or Funeral Charm, I can use the other to make you discard your second land. So you take Sarcomancy, and I take your other land, and we sit there doing nothing. 4-1

3+0+0+6+0+3+6+3+4 = 25

I had a hard time deciding between Encroach, Mana Vault, Force of Vigor, or Barren Glory. Looks like I had a good read on what the decks to play were, but didn't quite get the formula right to beat the field.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Encroach and tabernacle seemed to me to be the best interaction left. So I stole an old deck.

I just assumed you weren’t fast enough here making the deck… WW 6-0?
    Barren Glory wins on Turn 5 upkeep.

Asthereal has
    T1 Karn -> 3/3
    T2 2 4/4s, attack for 4
    T3 +1, attack for 8
    T4 attack for 8-10 (can sacrifice Karn for 3 5/5s)

Even without the artifact land, Karn is faster. LL 0-6?

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Oh hey I had this version somewhere in my brewing as well. We can't interact with lands, and Encroach & Needle are blanks, so lets see how our 4th cards compare. If I ever play Sarcomancy proactively, you Snare my token and don't need to do anything else. If you lead with Sarcomancy, I can Sphere your token, but you can Snare to get Sarcomancy back. From there, whoever is losing the race can always trade Zombies to flip the race backwards to lifeless from Sarcomancy, so we stare. DD
    Sarcomancy is an upkeep trigger not an end-step trigger. That seems like it would favour the attacker in event of a tied life total, As the defender loses life first.
    T1 R sarcomancy A sphere
    T2 R attack A exile R20 A18
    T3 R gets pinged, snare own sarcomancy A sarcomancy R19 A18
    T4 R sarcomancy A passes since a trade would kill him first. He would attack if he was ahead or tied.
    T5 R can attack due to not being behind on life.
    Otp and OTD are the same since A can’t initiate.

A can play sarcomancy on t2 into void snare, but that is a worse situation than trading.

OTP Encroach wins, OTD I can't beat Karn. WL

Nice, I didn't notice that the Stylus works this well with Sarcomancy. I can't beat this. LL

I'll think about this more later, but Reeplcheep's logic seems correct. WW?

Encroach means you can't play anything. WW

Void Snare stops Barren Glory. WW

Encroach means you can't play anything. WW

OTP I win since I can bounce your zombie token and discard Encroach if you use Funeral Charm for that. OTD I lose to Encroach. WL

OTP Encroach wins it. OTD I can either bounce one of your 5/4 tokens or your Wheel of Sun and Moon, but neither is enough. WL

OTP I Encroach your Tomb of Urami and you can only play Gut Shot. OTD you Drill Bit me. If you take Sarcomancy, I Encroach to take your Molten Slagheap and we draw. If you take take Encroach: turn 1 you take 2 damage to play gut shot, taking me to 19, and take 1 more to play Drill Bit, so you are at 17 life. On my turn I play Sarcomancy. On turn 2 you play Molten Slagheap, and take 1 damage to get a storage counter, so you are at 16 life. On my turn I attack you with my zombie and Void Snare Sarcomancy, putting you at 14 life. On turn 3 you take 1 damage to get a second storage counter, so you at at 13 life. On my turn I attack you with my zombie and play Sarcomancy, getting a second 2/2, so you are at 11 life. On turn 4 you take 1 damage to get a third storage counter, so you are at 10 life. On my turn I attack you for 4, so you are at 6 life. On turn 5 you take 1 damage to get a fourth storage counter, so you are at 5 life. On my turn I attack you for 4, so you are at 1 life. On turn 6 you make a 5/5, but I can attack and kill you next turn. Therefore you won't go with this line, and we draw. WD

12W 1D 5L = 37

People seemed to be getting greedy with their lands lately, so Encroach looked good for this week.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I somehow missed that Pithing Needle was already banned, so here are my corrected results with a second Swamp instead:

3. alphastryk: Swamp, Swamp, Sphere of Annihilation, Sarcomancy

I can't beat Karn making tokens. LL 0-6

I can't beat Stylus recurring Sarcomancy even once. LL 0-6

6-0

I cannot stop Curse or get through Energy Field. LL 0-6

0-6

I can't interact. LL 0-6

6-0

OTP, if I play out my Sarcomancy, you can Snare the Zombie and let my Sarcomancy kill me (if I Sphere to remove Sarcomancy your Zombie takes it home). If you play your Sarcomancy first, because Sphere is slow you can use Snare to pick your Sarcomancy back up anytime after I Sphere for either 0 or 1. I can't try to force a race because my removal spell removes my threat as well. LL 0-6

I can't beat endless Goblins. LL 0-6

We can't interact with lands, and Encroach & my 2nd Swamp are blanks, so lets see how our 4th cards compare. If you play Sarcomancy proactively, I can Sphere the token for the win. If I play mine proactively, the best you can do is play yours to make a blocker. If you do that, I can Sphere, and because I can make Sphere blow up the tokens on my turn after the Sarcomancy check happens, I win that race. WW 6-0

I knew I wasn't well setup to beat the Last Stand deck from last round, this is even more painful. LL

0-6

Without Needle, I can't even force a draw. LL 0-6

Total: 6 points

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Encroach"

LD :( 0-6

Encroach :( 0-6

Goblin smash! 6-0

Prison 0-6

Combo 0-6

That's me trying Goblin combo :(

You use the Force :( 0-6

Discard 0-6

Sep 2011

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Encroach"
    Goblin smash! 6-0
    You both agree, but this should be DD 2-2.

If alphastryk never attacks with the 2/2, it can block and kill 1 Goblin per turn forever. Attrition can't kill black creatures.

That's me trying Goblin combo :(

2 points. Ouch, worse than the banned deck. You might have done better with
    Black Lotus, Mox Ruby, Dragon Fodder, Dragon Fodder

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You both agree, but this should be DD 2-2.

If alphastryk never attacks with the 2/2, it can block and kill 1 Goblin per turn forever. Attrition can't kill black creatures.
    This makes sense to me, updating the spreadsheet now. (Forgot the Goblins had to attack)

me: ​ ​ ​ Volcanic Island ​ , ​ Volcanic Island ​ , ​ Curse of the Pierced Heart ​ , ​ Energy Field
    I used Volvanic Island because I expected 2-cost land-screw
    rather than 1-cost LD (Land Discard).

1. Asthereal (TO): Mana Vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust Bowl ​ LL 0-6
    Dust Bowl

2. dte: Swamp, Encroach, tel-jilad stylus, sarcomancy ​ LL 0-6
    Encroach

3. alphastryk: Swamp, Pithing Needle, Sphere of Annihilation, Sarcomancy ​ WW 6-0
    Energy Sphere

me

5. Reeplcheep: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival ​ LL 0-6
    you're much faster

6. RoosterCocoa: Underground Sea, Encroach, Void Snare, Sarcomancy ​ LL 0-6
    Encroach

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Peat Bog, Badlands, Goblin Assault, Attrition ​ WW 6-0
    Energy Field

8. maxx!: Swamp, Encroach, Sarcomancy, Funeral Charm ​ LL 0-6
    Encroach

9. FTW: Hickory Woodlot, Rhonas's Last Stand, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Force of Vigor ​ LL 0-6
    Force of Vigor ​ destroys ​ Energy Field

10. silkster: Tomb of Urami, Molten Slagheap, Gut Shot, Drill Bit ​ LL 0-6
    Gut Shot ​ + ​ Drill Bit ​ ​ ​ takes Energy Field on T1, and despite
    Gut Shot ​ + ​ Tomb ​ + ​ CotPH ​ , ​ ​ ​ you win on T10 with at least 4 life left.

7 LL ​ + ​ 2 WW ​ ​ ​ = ​ ​ ​ 12 points

Using basics instead would've doubled my round score. ​ :-)
    Last edited by Phasmoid; 05-25-2022 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed typo

1. Asthereal (TO): Mana Vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust Bowl WL
    2. dte: Swamp, Encroach, tel-jilad stylus, sarcomancy DL, super cool deck.
    3. alphastryk: Swamp, Pithing Needle, Sphere of Annihilation, Sarcomancy [strike] WW
    4. Phasmoid: Volcanic Island, Volcanic Island, Curse of the Pierced Heart, Energy Field WW
    5. Reeplcheep: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival LL, my gauntlet was five decks that 6-0 here, and two decks that 0-6 here.
    6. RoosterCocoa: Underground Sea, Encroach, Void Snare, Sarcomancy DL
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Peat Bog, Badlands, Goblin Assault, Attrition WW
    8. maxx!: Swamp, Encroach, Sarcomancy, Funeral Charm DL
    9. FTW: Hickory Woodlot, Rhonas's Last Stand, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Force of Vigor WW

9W, 3D, 6L = 30 points

I'm really sad that I lose to Barren Glory, cause I thought that deck was unplayable here, losing to so many things. Of course, if a deck is "unplayable", then playing a deck that beats it is no priority, so maybe people move away to what beats those decks, as I did. Well played.

I should have realized that last round would be all turn 1 decks, and I had the perfect answer but I didn't realize it. This round was really hard for me cause I had a bunch of good ideas but no idea what people would play. I always feel especially awkward when my own deck doesn't get banned and then it looks like it should be really good the next round, but of course people might plan specifically to beat it and I just hate that awkward feeling. When I noticed that I could play a very similar version to FTW's deck last time, I went for it. It turns out that Encroach was already a 1-mana discard spell that didn't require setup. I'm glad that Rhonas's Last Stand has had its... last stand!
    Last edited by silkster; 05-26-2022 at 03:35 AM.

Thread Information