Page 315 of 332 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,300 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

6. FTW: Bottomless Vault, Unmask, The Eldest Reborn, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath

I had this deck in my gauntlet for a few rounds and finally decided to play it. It straddles between WL vs T1 decks and grinding against disruptive decks. It also dodges Mental Misstep, soft counters, and "discard 2"s. In most matches it's 3CB with Unmask taking #1 threat and hoping a turn 7 5/5 flyer stabilizes. Eldest Reborn is a trump card vs enemy discard/removal, because I can lose Ob Nix but still remove their threat and get mine back.

1. Asthereal (TO): Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Trophy. Treetop Village starts attacking T4, so T7 5/5 flying is fast enough to stabilize. WW 6-0
    2. Reeplcheep: Raven's Crime discards 2 cards (Ob Nix, Unmask). I play T7 Eldest Reborn, killing the Wolf just in time, then I get back Ob Nix. WW 6-0

3. dte: OTP Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Mana Vault, then Ob Nixilis wins. Would love to steal your Karn instead, but I must prevent Dust Bowl.
    OTD you play T1 Vault -> Key -> Karn to play around discard, then Dust Bowl stops me. WL 3-3

4. Phasmoid: Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Reality Acid. Stylus+Desert is a 20 turn clock, so T7 Ob Nixilis is fast enough. WW 6-0
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Unmask (exile Ob Nixilis!) takes Vraska, then Eldest Reborn steals her. OTD T1 Vraska is too fast (1+3+5+7+9=25 by turn 6). WL 3-3
    7. alphastryk: Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Lush Growth before I play my land. Zendikon wins on T11, so T7 5/5 flying is fast enough to stabilize. WW 6-0
    8. RoosterCocoa: OTP Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Court. OTD I am way too slow to get the Monarch and lose to 4/4s. WL 3-3
    9. maxx!: OTP Unmask (exile Ob Nixilis!) takes Garruk, then Eldest Reborn steals him. OTD T1 Garruk is too fast for me. WL 3-3

10. silkster: OTP Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Rhonas's Last Stand, then T8 Ob Nixilis plays around Stubborn Denial.
    Edit: OTD you can play T1 Island to hold up Stubborn Denial vs Unmask. That means you can only play T3 Rhonas. That's still faster than I can pay the 1, so I T2 Unmask forcing out Stubborn Denial. You get T3 5/4. I would get T7 interaction, but you win on your turn 7, so I am 1 turn too slow to stabilize. WL 3-3

39 points (13 wins, 5 loss)
    Last edited by FTW; 05-18-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    6. FTW: Bottomless Vault, Unmask, The Eldest Reborn, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath

4. Phasmoid: Unmask (exile Eldest) takes Reality Acid. Stylus+Desert is a 20 turn clock, so T7 Ob Nixilis is fast enough. WW 6-0
    Does he not use Stylus to get back Acid? That's kind of the point of his deck.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Asthereal's scores for round hey we forgot about an interaction spell that might be relevant, so let's just try that.

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep <-me
    8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace DL
    Misstep can't touch your stuff. OTP I can Trophy the Court after it has only made 4 1/1 guys, who I can then block succesfully with my Village for a draw. OTD you get 8 guys and that's too much.
    Not only are the tokens flying (can't block with Treetop), but they're 4/4s not 4 1/1s! The first 4/4 flyer is enough to win.

I thought Mental Misstep was unplayable until we banned all Moxes and Sol Lands. I considered playing it this round, but I thought this might be the Lotus Petal round so I went with another anti-combo spell instead. It looks like Mental Misstep was a good choice too!

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Does he not use Stylus to get back Acid? That's kind of the point of his deck.
    Stylus targets permanents, not cards in graveyards.

Feb 2014

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep
    0-6. I was hoping misstep would not be played too much. I was very wrong there.

2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Golgari Rot Farm, Ranger Class, Raven’s Crime
    3-3. Two discards beat me OTD.

3. dte: Mana vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust bowl
    Me, playing the last Karn.

4. Phasmoid: Sunscorched Desert, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Izzet Boilerworks, Reality Acid
    6-0. I am too fast for what you do being relevant. Plus, you have to prevent my T3 LD.
    Edit:3-3

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence
    6-0. I go bigger, and you can only do two tokens.

3-3. Unmask kills me.

7. alphastryk: Mental Misstep, Botanical Sanctum, Wind Zendikon, Lush Growth
    0-6, MM

8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace
    3-3. OTP I win. OTD:
    T1 court, T1 Karn, token.
    T2 4/4 flyer, second token, untap vault and attack you --> trade.
    T3 4/4 flyer, I +1 Karn, make the token unblockable and take the monarch
    T4 1/1, kill Karn. --> I lose.

9. maxx!: Sheltered Valley, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Garruk Relentless
    6-0, Karn >> Garruk, particularly with the key.

10. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Island, Rhonas's Last Stand, Stubborn Denial
    3-3, stubborn denial gets me.
    Edit: 27

I made a last minute change from Foundry of the Consuls to dust bowl, that was a very bad idea. But not as bas as ignoring mental misstep :)
    I should have cut down on the cuteness and play two mana vaults + artifact land to play around MM and stubborn denial, would have been a much better idea, would have made 48/54 instead.

My deck for last week was a 2* vault deck:
    Sunscorched Desert, Mana vault, Mana vault, Lich's Mirror
    Not a great deck, but the pseudo backbuild ring of it is fun for me :)
    Last edited by dte; 05-18-2022 at 02:41 PM.

I took a pauper deck and added the best unbanned threat from last round.

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep
    Disagreement, I can float a black and retrace ravens crime on T2. WD 4-1

OTP i make you discard your key the. Karn. You can then sacrifice everything to kill my land, but then you would die to your vault. OTD I can’t keep up with t1 karn. WL 3-3.

4. Phasmoid: Sunscorched Desert, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Izzet Boilerworks, Reality Acid
    Cards in the gy aren’t permanents luckily. WW 6-0

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence
    Another t1 deck that needs all of its cards. WL 3-3

LL 0-6 either of your threats beats mine.

My swamp trades for lush growth and misstep one way or another. And my threat beats yours. WW 6-0

Our interaction and basics always trade. OTP I would have time to stabilize if you raced. OTD I don’t. DL 1-4.

9 W 2D 7L for 29/54

4. me: ​ ​ ​ Sunscorched Desert ​ , ​ Tel-Jilad Stylus ​ , ​ Izzet Boilerworks ​ , ​ Reality Acid

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep ​ DL 1-4

when I am OTD:
    Mental Misstep counters Tel-Jilad Stylus, Izzet Boilerworks gets turned into a
    Trophy before I can cast Reality Acid, and then I lose to your Treetop Village.

when I am OTP:
    Mental Misstep can counter Tel-Jilad Stylus, which stops me from winning.
    I cast Reality Acid on Golgari Rot Farm before the latter untaps. ​ Turning the
    Acid into a Trophy only _speeds up_ the Rot Farm's sacrifice, so Treetop Village
    gets only 2 attacks before it can no longer animate. ​ That stops you from winning.

2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Golgari Rot Farm, Ranger Class, Raven’s Crime ​ LL 0-6

Double-discard before my T3 stops me from casting Reality Acid, and the Wolf races Desert+Stylus.

3. dte: Mana vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust bowl ​ WL 3-3

when I am OTD:
    On T1, you cast all 3 of your spells, and create a token. ​ (I previously missed that you could
    cast Karn on T1, and then saw RC's reply to me pointing it out.) ​ On T2, you create another token,
    attack me for 4, and untap Mana Vault. ​ Your tokens would win for you much faster than you'd lose
    to Desert+Vault, so I must cast Reality Acid at some point. ​ You untap before I can do that, so
    Dust Bowl stops me from recurring Reality Acid. ​ Even if it could make you sacrifice _both_ Karn
    and 1 of your artifacts, I would still lose on T8, before you could possibly lose to Desert+Vault.

when I am OTP:
    If you try to destroy one of my lands before my T3, then I save it with Stylus. ​ Unless I'm still
    missing some sequence for you, that would prevent you from ever casting Karn, in which case you
    lose to Desert+Stylus+Vault. ​ (Or at least to Desert+Stylus, even if I'm missing some way for that
    to not leave your Vault forever tapped.) ​ On T1, you cast all 3 of your spells, and create a token.
    (I previously missed that you could cast Karn on T1, and then saw RC's reply to me pointing it out.)
    On T2, you create another token, attack me for 4, and untap Mana Vault.
    On my T3, Stylish Acid makes you sacrifice Mana Vault,
    shutting down your LD and making your tokens ​ ​ ​ 3/3 s ​ .
    Your T3 starts with Karn at 1 loyalty, so you +1 him and attack me for 6, leaving me with 10 life.
    On my next 3 turns, Stylish Acid makes you sacrifice Karn followed by both tokens,
    with me taking only 6+2 more damage. ​ After that, you lose to Desert+Stylus.

This is me.

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence ​ WW 6-0

Even when I am OTD, I take only 6 damage before your
    tokens get sacrificed, and then Desert+Stylus wins for me.

6. FTW: Bottomless Vault, Unmask, The Eldest Reborn, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath ​ LL 0-6

You exile The Eldest Reborn to Unmask my Reality Acid, and then Ob Nixilis races Desert+Stylus.

7. alphastryk: Mental Misstep, Botanical Sanctum, Wind Zendikon, Lush Growth ​ LL 0-6

Mental Mistep counters Tel-Jilad Stylus, Lush Growth stops me from
    casting Reality Acid, and then Wind Zendikon races Desert+Stylus.

8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace ​ WW 6-0

Even when I am OTD, I still have 4 life left when you've sacrificed
    Court of Grace and both Angels, after which Desert+Stylus wins for me.

9. maxx!: Sheltered Valley, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Garruk Relentless ​ WW 6-0

Even when I am OTD, I still have 8 life left when you've sacrificed
    Garruk and all 3 Wolves, after which Desert+Stylus wins for me.

10. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Island, Rhonas's Last Stand, Stubborn Denial ​ LL 0-6

You make a Last Stand on T2, and Stubbornly Deny my Reality Acid,
    after which your Snake races Desert+Stylus.

4 LL ​ + ​ 1 DL ​ + ​ 1 WL ​ + ​ 3 WW ​ ​ ​ = ​ ​ ​ 22 points
    Last edited by Phasmoid; 05-18-2022 at 07:40 PM. Reason: disagreement resolved

Mental misstep does nothing and I have at least 1 4/4 before you can play Assassin's Trophy, so I win. WW

You can't beat Court of Grace if it actually resolves, but I can't beat turn 1 discard. WL

I think dte's logic looked correct. WL

OTP I play Court of Grace on turn 1. You play Desert and Stylus on your turn. On my turn 2 I get a 4/4, on your turn you player Boilerworks. On my turn 3 I get a second 4/4 and attack you to 16. On your turn you kill Court of Grace with Reality Acid. On my next turn I attack you to 8. On your turn you kill one of my 4/4s. On my next turn I attack you to 4, and on your next turn you kill my final 4/4, leaving me with nothing. LL

You can only get 2 1/1, whereas I get a token every turn. WW

You can't beat Court of Grace if it resolves, but I can't beat turn 1 discard. WL

Mental Misstep and Lush Growth do nothing, and I can beat a 2/2. WW

OTP I get a 4/4 with flying before you can attack with your first 2/2, so you can't stop me from killing Garruk on my next turn and winning with my tokens. OTD I can kill Garruk with 1/1s, but it is too slow so I lose to your 2/2s. WL

You can't beat Court of Grace if it resolves, but I can't beat Stubborn Denial if you have the mana for it. WL

11W 0D 7L = 33

It was a good week to play a turn 1 deck that dodges mental misstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    3. dte: Mana vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust bowl ​ WW 6-0

when I am OTP, even if Manifold Key's casting cost was {0}:
    You can't cast Karn on T1. ​
    I think that dte can cast Karn on turn 1. dte plays Dust Bowl, and uses that to cast Mana Vault. dte then taps Mana Vault for 3 mana, and uses 1 to cast Manifold Key. dte then uses another mana, leaving 1 floating, to untap Mana Vault. Mana Vault can then be tapped for 3 more mana, meaning dte has 4 mana total, so Karn can be cast right away.

Sheltered Valley, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Garruk Relentless

Misstep counters Vault. 0-6

OTP Garruk lands and makes a wolf, then fights your Ranger Class whenever you play it. OTD Crime makes me discard and I need all 4. 3-3

The sort-of-mirror. The first Construct you make will only be a 2/2, so Garruk can fight it and live right away. You can make more Constructs after that, but you have to spend 2/3 of your turns adding loyalty, while flipped Garruk can just +1 to make a deathtouch token forever. Eventually I should overwhelm you. 6-0
    I missed that Manifold Key can force a Construct through to kill Garruk. Nevermind. 0-6

You can start destroying permanents on your turn 3, so I think you're probably fast enough, but I should check.

OTP
    T1 Garruk, make Wolf (1W) / Stylus
    T2 Make Wolf (2W), attack (18) / Boilerworks
    T3 Make Wolf (3W), attack (14) / Acid Garruk
    T4 Attack (8) / Acid a Wolf (2W)
    T5 Attack (4) / Acid a Wolf (1W)
    T6 Attack (2) / Acid a Wolf (0W)

0-6

The other sort-of-mirror. I just make a Wolf every turn and you run out of loyalty eventually. 6-0

OTP I kill a goldfish on turn 5, so you're too slow to stop me. OTD Unmask takes anything and I lose. 3-3

Misstep counters Vault. 0-6

OTP I can stop you from being the Monarch, but your tokens fly and they can kill Garruk. I can't stop your token machine and you can stop mine. 0-6

This is me :]

OTP I make my walker and easily beat your 5/4. OTD I can't play around Stubborn Denial without losing my Lotus Petal. 3-3

0+3+0+0+6+3+0+0+3 = 15

My heart was in the right place (considering dte's performance) but I picked the wrong threat. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    I think that dte can cast Karn on turn 1. dte plays Dust Bowl, and uses that to cast Mana Vault. dte then taps Mana Vault for 3 mana, and uses 1 to cast Manifold Key. dte then uses another mana, leaving 1 floating, to untap Mana Vault. Mana Vault can then be tapped for 3 more mana, meaning dte has 4 mana total, so Karn can be cast right away.
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    6-0. I am too fast for what you do being relevant. Plus, you have to prevent my T3 LD.
    I missed how fast you are, but I still get that I win when I am OTP.
    See my (edited) results post for analysis.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    I missed how fast you are, but I still get that I win when I am OTP.
    See my (edited) results post for analysis.
    You're right, WL. I should really have used an artifact land :/

Me. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Island, Rhonas's Last Stand, Stubborn Denial

Damn! I thought Assassin's Trophy was OBL! Why didn't I double check? :(
    LL

You can get to a tapped 4/4 on turn 5. I can kill on turn 6.
    WD

Wow, this deck is really cool.
    WL

The first deck here that I actually saw coming.
    WW

I had about 6 decks I was considering and most of them had Mental Misstep, but then I just had to tell myself that it was "too narrow".
    If only you could have just played Swamp + Ornithoper. :(
    LL

On the play, Island - > Woodlot - > 5/4 -> 4 turns attacking is exactly in time.
    WL

I seriously went back and forth between Island and Botanical Sanctum because of Lush Growth. I thought there might be some Lush Growth, but that Lush Growth + Misstep would be less common that Tabernacle + Dustbowl. Bad call again. I also could have played the turn 1 Last Stand version of my deck to dodge both Misstep and Lush Growth.
    LL

I did not see that coming.
    WL

I did not expect people to be playing so much Mana Vault and Khalni Garden that give them an extra mana one turn later.
    I agree that I can stubborn Denial the Mana Vault to force the use of Lotus Petal and that cuts off Green.
    WL

7W, 1D, 10L = 22

A decent idea overall, but terrible execution. I expected a few more storage lands that could pay 2 extra. Playing Sanctum and Spell Pierce over Island and Denial would have been +9.

The Misstep version of Rhonas's Last Stand would have scored 33. One of my other decks would have scored well, and it was probably the best deck that I was going to find of my style, but I didn't appreciate what this round would look like, and it seems that no round will ever look like this one again cause it was heavily based on Mana Vaults and Lotus Petals. :(

This is amazing. I guess it loses to counters and discard and artifact removal. I thought for a moment that it lost to decks that could assemble 20 damage in one attack, but it doesn't. Seems decent. I guess Mana Vault is probably leaving us this round, though.
    Last edited by silkster; 05-18-2022 at 05:09 PM.

Sep 2011

6-0, Karn >> Garruk, particularly with the key.
    What if maxx! just tries to kill Karn quickly instead of protecting Garruk?

Maxx! vs dte OTP
    T1 Garruk -> 2/2 Wolf (Garruk 3 counters)
    T1 Karn -> 3/3 Construct (Karn 3 counters)

T2 Garruk fights. Garruk & Construct die. 2/2 attacks Karn (Karn 1 counter)
    T2 +1 Karn. Untap Vault. (Karn 2 counters)

T3 2/2 kills Karn.
    Then dte has no plays and the 2/2 Wolf wins.

WL 3-3?

Smart idea! So there is no "disruption", but you have Turn 1 "can't lose the game" and then keep replaying the prison until the 20th Desert kills.

I think the deck works less well than you want. If Blinkmoth Nexus carefully times its attacks so that it kills you, Lich triggers on opponent's turn, then 2nd main phase they cast Wheel of Fortune to discard your cards before you replay anything. Your loop only works if you lose on your own turn and get to replay everything.
    Edit: Nevermind, silkster is right. Those decks didn't have mana to do both.

The one I came up with was just my backbuild deck with disruption added. Veldt + Helix Pinnacle wins on Turn 202. Then add something like Unmask + Dismember or Lush Growth + Metrognome. However there's no reason to seriously consider a Veldt + Helix deck, while your Lich deck actually has reason to be played.
    Last edited by FTW; 05-19-2022 at 12:02 PM.

I had this many lists that I was looking at, the only overlap with the banlist is that Lush Growth/Mental Misstep slot. I guess I don't need to brew now, only decide about what I have, which is unfortunate cause I prefer the brewing part.
    (The redacted lists would have scored me 24, 24, 42.)

Smart idea! So there is no "disruption", but you have Turn 1 "can't lose the game" and then keep replaying the prison until the 20th Desert kills.

I think the deck works less well than you want. If Blinkmoth Nexus carefully times its attacks so that it kills you, Lich triggers on opponent's turn, then 2nd main phase they cast Wheel of Fortune to discard your cards before you replay anything. Hymn + 5/5 should be able to do the same thing. Your loop only works if you lose on your own turn and get to replay everything.

The one I came up with was just my backbuild deck with disruption added. Veldt + Helix Pinnacle wins on Turn 202. Then add something like Unmask + Dismember or Lush Growth + Metrognome. However there's no reason to seriously consider a Veldt + Helix deck, while your Lich deck actually has reason to be played.
    The Lich's Mirror plan is vulnerable to creatures + discard, but not Blinkmoth, cause none of us could attack with a Blinkmoth and cast Wheel in the same turn.

I forgot about Helix Pinnacle. The slowest reasonable win that I could think of was Mercadian Bazaar + Shivan Gorge. I thought you could make it slower with a Veldt and a storage land that takes mana to charge, but then I realized that the Shivan Gorge could charge it anyway.

Also, I just realized that Leyline of Singularity was not on our original banlist either (I missed Assassin's Trophy today too). I'm okay 6 weeks too late to play it!

I put in the scores that people found for themselves and highlighted the cards on the chopping block. I think Asthereal gets the lower score in both disagreements, but Assassin's Trophy is still getting banned. I haven't done the Court of Grace vs. Garruk Relentless math.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Not only are the tokens flying (can't block with Treetop), but they're 4/4s not 4 1/1s! The first 4/4 flyer is enough to win.

Stylus targets permanents, not cards in graveyards.
    Right. I need to start reading cards again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I took a pauper deck and added the best unbanned threat from last round.

Disagreement, I can float a black and retrace ravens crime on T2. WD 4-1
    Good point. MIssed the floating black idea. That should be WD for you.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I put in the scores that people found for themselves and highlighted the cards on the chopping block. I think Asthereal gets the lower score in both disagreements, but Assassin's Trophy is still getting banned. I haven't done the Court of Grace vs. Garruk Relentless math.
    dte and maxx! agree, but I think they're both wrong. See my other comment above. OTP maxx! can trade off everything to destroy Karn, leaving 2/2 vs nothing. Should be WL 3-3.

This result would affect the bannings.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

dte and maxx! agree, but I think they're both wrong. See my other comment above. OTP maxx! can trade off everything to destroy Karn, leaving 2/2 vs nothing. Should be WL 3-3.

Your logic makes sense to me, and would result in Mana Vault not yet seeing a ban - that's a big difference.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Your logic makes sense to me, and would result in Mana Vault not yet seeing a ban - that's a big difference.
    Yes indeed, it should be 3-3, and mana vault will not get the axe.

Agreed with FTW's line. 3-3

VraskaSmashmaster Results for Round "Still turn 1"

Misstep :( 0-6

Assassin smash, then discard 3-3

Better PW 0-6

Acid 0-6

That's me, playing deathtouch goblins!

Assassin smash, then discard 3-3

Misstep :( 0-6

Assassin smash, then Angel smash 3-3

Better PW 0-6

Assassin smash! 6-0

Total: 15 points

Thread Information