Page 261 of 332 FirstFirst ... 161211251257258259260261262263264265271311 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,220 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Davriel deals 2 per turn. Asthereal's deck can gain 1 and deal 1 per turn. That's about an equal clock, but I break the symmetry with Interplanar Beacon's +2 life and by eventually activating Kaya's -5 for X=1 (exile Energy Field from GY), so I should win this race. But I can't beat Energy Field.
    I thought that megalithic was errated to "any target".
    So it kills Davriel?

8. RoosterCocoa: Mountain, Swamp, Raze, Sleeper Agent

1. Asthereal (TO): Volcanic Island, Sheltered Valley, Keldon Megaliths, Energy Field
    I Raze your Volcanic Island if you ever play it. You cannot use Megaliths or play Energy Field without the Volcanic Island, and Raze makes you sacrifice Energy Field if you had played it, so I win. WW

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Noxious Revival, Barren Glory
    Since I give you control of Sleeper Agent, Barren Glory doesn't work. You have no way to remove Sleeper Agent so I win. WW

3. dte: Daze, Underground Sea, Shrieking Affliction, Sleeper Agent
    Whoever plays Sleeper Agent first wins the race. WL

4. PJim: Stomping Ground, Orcish Lumberjack, Aluren, Acererak the Archlich
    I Raze your Stomping Ground the turn after you play it, so you can only play Lumberjack. WW

5. alphastryk: Phyrexian Tower, Shield Sphere, Sleeper Agent, Sleeper Agent
    I can't beat Phyrexian Tower or stop you from playing your Sleeper Agents. LL

6. silkster: Swamp, Sleeper Agent, Leyline of Sanctity, Specter's Shriek
    I can't beat Leyline of Sanctity or stop you from playing your Sleeper Agent. LL

7. maxx!: Leyline of Sanctity, Icatian Store, Karn Liberated, Approach of the Second Sun
    I can't win against Leyline of Sanctity, but Raze your Icatian Store before you can play a win condition. DD

9. mattamort: Subterranean Hangar, Forbidden orchard, Rakdos Charm, Beast Within
    I Raze your Subterranean Hangar, and you can't play anything. WW

10. jhhdk: Ebon Stronghold, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Shrieking Affliction
    Ebon Stronghold enters tapped, so I Raze it before you can play anything. WW

11. Reeplcheep: Swamp , Go Blank, Shrieking Affliction , Dark Ritual
    Shrieking Affliction outraces Sleeper Agent, so I don't play anything and we draw. DD

12. Wrath of Pie: Scoured Barrens, Karakas, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Tyrant's Choice
    I Raze Scoured Barrens so you can't play anything. WW

13. FTW: Remote Farm, Interplanar Beacon, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper, Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    I Raze Remote Farm so you can't play anything. WW

14. Serguei: Swamp, Duress, Sleeper Agent, Leyline of sanctity
    I can't beat Leyline of Sanctity or stop you from playing your Sleeper Agent. LL

15W 4D 7L = 49

I predicted that most people would have threats they couldn't play on turn 1 and it looks like I got that mostly correct, though I forgot about Leyline of Sanctity so I might have done better by finding a win condition that didn't target a player.

maxx!: Leyline of Sanctity, Icatian Store, Karn Liberated, Approach of the Second Sun

1. Asthereal (TO): Volcanic Island, Sheltered Valley, Keldon Megaliths, Energy Field
    Megaliths can't race AotSS, and Karn can take your whole deck given enough time. 6-0

Nice deck. Embarrassed that it didn't cross my mind for this round. You're way faster. 0-6

Leyline saves me from the Agent, so I can take as long as I need to build up mana for a Daze-proof play. 6-0

I literally have no idea what the first paragraph on Acererak means (it reads like an Un-set), but from the other posts in this thread it seems like you have a turn 2 combo that doesn't target. 0-6

Leyline protects me from the Agents, and you can't interact with my deck. 6-0

6. silkster: Swamp, Sleeper Agent, Leyline of Sanctity, Specter's Shriek
    Leyline saves me from both your black cards, and my win condition gets around your Leyline. 6-0

7. maxx!: Leyline of Sanctity, Icatian Store, Karn Liberated, Approach of the Second Sun
    This is me :]

Raze is brutal, but Agent can't target me, so nobody ever does anything. 2-2

9. mattamort: Subterranean Hangar, Forbidden orchard, Rakdos Charm, Beast Within
    The first deck that I thought of for this round was a Forbidden Orchard + Rakdos Charm deck, but I was afraid of Leyline of Sanctity (Forbidden Orchard's trigger targets). Beast Within can kill my Leyline, but then you can't kill me before I win. You can Beast Within my land, though, and then nobody can win. I think that's how this matchup ends. 2-2

10. jhhdk: Ebon Stronghold, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Shrieking Affliction
    If I play my land, you can Smallpox me before I can cast anything, and then you get all your stuff back. If I do nothing, you play Shrieking Affliction and then loop Smallpox until I have 1 card in hand and start dying to Affliction. Really nice deck. 0-6

Leyline stops Go Blank, and you can't interact with me. 6-0

12. Wrath of Pie: Scoured Barrens, Karakas, Wheel of Sun and Moon, Tyrant's Choice
    Tyrant's Choice is a faster non-targeting kill than I expected. 0-6

13. FTW: Remote Farm, Interplanar Beacon, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper, Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    Davriel can't target me, so Kaya can't exile anything. 6-0

Duress and Sleeper Agent are blanks, and my win condition gets around Leyline. 6-0

6+0+6+0+6+6+2+2+0+6+0+6+6 = 46

Karn was a huge dud. I think Generous Gift would've net me 9 more points (WL vs Gobbo and WW vs WoP). Leyline was not as popular as I thought it would be.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I thought that megalithic was errated to "any target".
    So it kills Davriel?
    Oh interesting. According to Gatherer it is.

The text of Keldon Megaliths says "target creature or player", so I assumed it couldn't. That's a surprising functional errata. When they changed the rule about planeswalker burn damage, I thought they were sticking to the original card texts (for example Earthquake damage cannot hit a planeswalker anymore, but Lightning Bolt still can because the original text was "any target"). Looks like they didn't treat all cards the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    Ebon Stronghold enters tapped, so I Raze it before you can play anything. WW
    Correct, Somehow managed to convince myself CMC of Raze was 2. I must have been thinking of Boom.
    Will adjust my results.

Feb 2014

The text of Keldon Megaliths says "target creature or player", so I assumed it couldn't. That's a surprising functional errata. When they changed the rule about planeswalker burn damage, I thought they were sticking to the original card texts (for example Earthquake damage cannot hit a planeswalker anymore, but Lightning Bolt still can because the original text was "any target"). Looks like they didn't treat all cards the same.
    I understood that anything before the rule change with "creature or player" became "any target". It would have been messy to have to know all printings of a cards. If I got it correctly, the change was mostly for cards like lava spike, which only targeted players originally, or for cards like earthquake, which do not target. For a while, these could kill PW, but cannot anymore.

That being lenghtly said, I am not sure at all this is correct ;)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

So what does this mean for our match?
    On the draw I don't see it making a difference, as you can make me discard two cards before I get to play my third land, so the line where I discard a land and cast Energy Field is my only line.
    On the play, though, I could discard Energy Field and play my third land. From there I can kill Davriel, leaving you with just Kaya, who can make me lose one life and gain you one every 6 turns. Megaliths can beat that.
    Also, Kaya can't kill Energy Field, so you actually have to make me discard it and then exile it in order for Kaya to even have anything to do at all. So I guess I would win on the play, enidng our match in 4-1 for me?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

No results yet from silk, matta and gobbo. Silk seems to win the head-to-heads because of Shriek, and (EDIT) matta stops gobbo's Glory by giving him guys for free, so that's what I'll use for bannings.
    This leads to these preliminary standings for round 10:
    1. Serguei: 54 - 4,2
    2. silkster: 52 - 4
    3. RoosterCocoa: 49 - 3,8
    4. dte: 48 - 3,7
    5. maxx!: 46 - 3,5
    6. PJim: 44 - 3,4
    7. jhhdk: 44 - 3,4
    8. alphastryk: 42 - 3,2
    9. FTW: 37 - 2,8
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: 26 - 2
    11. mattamort: 22 - 1,7
    12. Wrath of Pie: 20 - 1,5
    13. Reeplcheep: 18 - 1,4
    14. Asthereal (TO): 6 - 0,5

Which in turn leads to these bannings:
    Duress
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Raze
    Sleeper Agent
    Specter's Shriek

Standings for the season, assuming scores for round 10 are good, are as follows:
    1. Serguei: 36,4
    2. dte: 35,6
    3. silkster: 34,4
    4. FTW: 32,9
    5. PJim: 32,8
    6. mattamort: 32,4
    7. maxx!: 31,6
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 29,7
    9. alphastryk: 29,8
    10. Tylert: 29,6
    11. RoosterCocoa: 26
    12. Reeplcheep: 21,2
    13. Wrath of Pie: 20,9
    14. Asthereal (TO): 18,1
    15. Phasmoid: 17,1
    16. jhhdk: 16,7
    17. H: 10
    18. shiftyhomunculus: 3,1

So Serguei consolidates the lead with a strong round. We find dte and silk in pursuit.
    Tylert sitting out two rounds sees him dropping down to the middle of the pack, unfortunately. I really thought he'd take the crown this season.

Expect next round to open later today.

EDIT: Reep's deck not being able to defeat the goldfish's 4x Island 4CB pilus screwed up the original text of this post quite a bit. The above is now current (as of Sept 6th, 18:40 CET).
    Last edited by Asthereal; 09-06-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Feb 2014

Orchard should definitely help matta to stop gobbo's glory.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Orchard should definitely help matta to stop gobbo's glory.
    Oooh that's a good one. Thanks for pointing this out! Changing scores now...

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Thankfully, dte's comment doesn't affect bannings.
    Silk, matta and gobbo, please check your scores still, but I'm locking in the bannings as shown above, so we can get round 11 going:

ROUND 11 OF SEASON 10: DEVIANT LEGACY BANNATHON has started.

This round we play Sudden Death: After 10 turns (from both players), the player with the highest life total wins the game. If life totals are equal, the game ends in a draw.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 11, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 8th of September at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Mountain, Quicksand, Desert, Suq'Ata Lancer.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S10R11 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck building!

Just to be 100% clear - it's still possible to win the game by reducing your opponent to 0 life (or with any other game winning card) before the ten turns have elapsed, right?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    Just to be 100% clear - it's still possible to win the game by reducing your opponent to 0 life (or with any other game winning card) before the ten turns have elapsed, right?
    Yes. If you win before turn 10 fully ends, you just win. It's just that the game doesn't go longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    No results yet from silk, matta and gobbo. Silk seems to win the head-to-heads because of Shriek, and I don't see how matta stops gobbo's Glory, so that's what I'll use for bannings.
    2. Silkster: 52 - 4
    3. Reeplcheep: 50 - 3,8
    4. RoosterCocoa: 49 - 3,8
    5. dte: 48 - 3,7
    6. maxx!: 46 - 3,5
    7. PJim: 44 - 3,4
    8. jhhdk: 43 - 3,3
    9. alphastryk: 42 - 3,2
    10. FTW: 37 - 2,8
    11. GoblinSmashmaster: 24 - 1,8
    12. mattamort: 20 - 1,5

Dark Ritual
    Duress
    Go Blank
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Shrieking Affliction
    Sleeper Agent
    Specter's Shriek

Standings for the season, assuming scores for round 10 are good, are as follows:
    6. mattamort: 32,2
    8. alphastryk: 29,8
    9. Tylert: 29,6
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: 29,5
    12. Reeplcheep: 23,6
    16. jhhdk: 16,6

So Serguei consolidates the lead with a strong round. We find dte and silk in pursuit.
    Tylert sitting out two rounds sees him dropping down to the middle of the pack, unfortunately. I really thought he'd take the crown this season.

It was raised by dte, but I am not sure to understand how Reeplcheep forces the win. At best, he gets a draw since opponent just had to keep their 2 remaining cards in hand to ignore Shrieking Affliction.

No results yet from silk, matta and gobbo. Silk seems to win the head-to-heads because of Shriek, and I don't see how matta stops gobbo's Glory, so that's what I'll use for bannings.
    2. Silkster: 52 - 4
    3. Reeplcheep: 50 - 3,8
    4. RoosterCocoa: 49 - 3,8
    5. dte: 48 - 3,7
    6. maxx!: 46 - 3,5
    7. PJim: 44 - 3,4
    8. jhhdk: 43 - 3,3
    9. alphastryk: 42 - 3,2
    10. FTW: 37 - 2,8
    11. GoblinSmashmaster: 24 - 1,8
    12. mattamort: 20 - 1,5

Dark Ritual
    Duress
    Go Blank
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Shrieking Affliction
    Sleeper Agent
    Specter's Shriek

6. mattamort: 32,2
    8. alphastryk: 29,8
    9. Tylert: 29,6
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: 29,5
    12. Reeplcheep: 23,6
    16. jhhdk: 16,6

Hello I think there is a problem with the banned list and results of 3. Reeplcheep: 50 - 3,8

AS already spotted by dte, Reelcheep cannot win a single game of 4CB. At best he can force the draw, because Go blank discards only 2 cards, and affliction is active if opponent has 1 or fewer card in hand. So unless my math are wrong 4 cards in openning hand minus 2 from go blank equals 2.
    So if an opponent of reelcheep cannot win he just needs not to play anything and sits for the draw

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Serguei View Post
    Hello I think there is a problem with the banned list and results of 3. Reeplcheep: 50 - 3,8

AS already spotted by dte, Reelcheep cannot win a single game of 4CB. At best he can force the draw, because Go blank discards only 2 cards, and affliction is active if opponent has 1 or fewer card in hand. So unless my math are wrong 4 cards in openning hand minus 2 from go blank equals 2.
    So if an opponent of reelcheep cannot win he just needs not to play anything and sits for the draw
    Hmm, Reep never acknowledged this, and I forgot about it afterwards.
    But it's correct: Reep's deck can't win if the opponent does nothing.

I'll change scores and bannings in a minute.

EDIT: Aaaaand my deck isn't legal anymore.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

No results yet from silk, matta and gobbo. Silk seems to win the head-to-heads because of Shriek, and (EDIT) matta stops gobbo's Glory by giving him guys for free, so that's what I'll use for bannings.
    2. silkster: 52 - 4
    3. RoosterCocoa: 49 - 3,8
    4. dte: 48 - 3,7
    5. maxx!: 46 - 3,5
    6. PJim: 44 - 3,4
    7. jhhdk: 44 - 3,4
    8. alphastryk: 42 - 3,2
    9. FTW: 37 - 2,8
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: 26 - 2
    11. mattamort: 22 - 1,7
    13. Reeplcheep: 18 - 1,4

Duress
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Raze
    Sleeper Agent
    Specter's Shriek

6. mattamort: 32,4
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 29,7
    9. alphastryk: 29,8
    10. Tylert: 29,6
    12. Reeplcheep: 21,2
    16. jhhdk: 16,7

This post is updated, as are the first posts and the Google spreadsheet.

Silk, matta and gobbo, please check your scores still, but I'm locking in the bannings as shown above, so we can get round 11 going:

This round we play Sudden Death: After 10 turns (from both players), the player with the highest life total wins the game. If life totals are equal, the game ends in a draw.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 11, so you can start sending me your decks.

(That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S10R11 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck building!
    And I have re-opened the round. Though my own deck now sucks instead of rules, because I had literally no time at all to come up with something cool.
    Well... I did come up with something cool. But it's also bad. Very bad.

Me. silkster: Swamp, Sleeper Agent, Leyline of Sanctity, Specter's Shriek

WD. I'm two turns too slow on the draw, so I just go shields up.
    When I'm on the draw, I have to exile Energy Field on my turn 1. But that means that I lose one of my other cards, and I'm a little behind on the race, so instead I go for a draw.

WW. This is the reason I didn't run Duress.

WD.
    On the play, I start with Swamp->Sleeper Agent, and your non-Agent cards don't interact so I win the race by half a turn cycle. Same as dte versus Serguei.
    The fact that dte has these two matches listed with different results makes me think I'm going crazy, but we're not planning to cast Daze/Specter's Shriek, so they should be the same result.

WW

DD. I really didn't expect Sleeper Agent to be so prevalent, but I think you did and Phyrexian Tower is great tech!

LL. I did not prepare for the Sanctity mirror.

WW.

WW. Beast Within is nice, so I take it, and then race.

DD. I can't stop both Affliction and Smallpox loop, so I take Smallpox and sit with 2 cards in hand.

WD.

WW.

WD. On the play, I lead on Agent and then take Kaya and race. On the draw, I'm a turn to slow to race Davriel, but I can just hide behind Leyline (optionally exiling Davriel).

DD. I haven't looked at the results yet and I'm very curious if my exile clause was worth the mutual discard.

14W, 10D, 2L = 52 points. Now to see what the googlesheet says.... Oooh, a few discrepencies. Going to add explanations in italics.

How does Serguei 6-0 the Barren Glory deck? Noxious Revival is very specifically the anti-Duress card, Barren Glory doesn't target, and it's a faster clock than Sleeper Agent.

A little late to ask, but: 10 turns from both players means 10 turns total, so each player gets 5 turns if no extra turns are taken. That's how I intended it when I wrote it, but what I intended doesn't actually matter (and has been changed in a few other rounds). Is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    How does Serguei 6-0 the Barren Glory deck? Noxious Revival is very specifically the anti-Duress card, Barren Glory doesn't target, and it's a faster clock than Sleeper Agent.
    Easy : I just give him a sleeper agent and he cannot win with barren glory anymore.

PLEASE NOTE:

Happy deck building!

Stupid question : Can we loose or win the game before the end of the 10th turn?

Thread Information