Page 246 of 332 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,920 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    maxx!: Forest, Tinder Wall, Narnam Renegade, Collective Defiance
    Serguei: Peat Bog, BitterBlossom, Unmask, Surgical extraction

Serguei needs Extraction to stop Tinder Wall from making four mana. If he doesn't, Defiance will make him discard the house.
    If maxx! uses the Wall immediately, Serguei can Extract and maxx! won't have mana to do other things, but maxx! can wait.
    If maxx! goes Tinder Wall, wait, Serguei can't make Bitterblossom yet, but he can use Unmask (discarding Extraction) to discard Defiance, protecting Blossom.
    So Bitterblossom will hit no matter what happens.
    The difference maxx! missed with Extraction vs. Leyline, I think, is that Leyline has to hit the board to work, but Extraction only needs to be kept at the ready, and can still be used to exile to Unmask if you don't need it.
    I think Serguei wins this. 6-0
    This looks right to me. Updating

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Me, silkster: Tinder Farm, Narnam Renegade, Goblin Bombardment, Leyline of Sanctity

1. Asthereal (TO): Plains, Mishra's Factory, Giant Killer, Swords to Plowshares
    This is a disagreement, but I think I lose because I can't cast my cards in the correct order. :(
    LL
    You're right of course. I lost to too many Goblin Bombardement decks and failed to actually analyse this one.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed, and it looks somewhat complete, but one of you has sent an illegal entry again.
    I am away for work today, so you have 6 hours still.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Deadline has passed, and it looks somewhat complete, but one of you has sent an illegal entry again.
    I am away for work today, so you have 6 hours still.
    What is most embarrassing is not not checking banned list, but how badly my deck will probably do, despite being in it's 4th iteration.

Sep 2011

Does the person with illegal entry know to resubmit?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Does the person with illegal entry know to resubmit?
    Yes, and was notified again because of another illegal submission. Last chance though.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I didn't think it would, but losing to a cartel feels bad. Not that there's a better alternative.
    Perhaps the alternative is winning by forming our own cabal 🤔

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Just to precise, if it's a problem to anyone, we could just stop playing together and choose our decks separately.
    And to be more precise: we discuss decks but we choose separately.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Can't have a therapy session that way, it's banned.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Can't have a therapy session that way, it's banned.
    But we can get a Therapist for us Initiates and Trainees

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    But we can get a Therapist for us Initiates and Trainees
    Sessions are rather pricey, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Just to precise, if it's a problem to anyone, we could just stop playing together and choose our decks separately.
    And to be more precise: we discuss decks but we choose separately.
    I was just making a Cabal joke. I have absolutely no problem with you all discussing strategy for the round as a group.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    What is most embarrassing is not not checking banned list, but how badly my deck will probably do, despite being in it's 4th iteration.
    Peat Bog got banned in the last round ;-)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR ROUND 6 OF SEASON 10: Deviant Legacy Bannathon

This round we play Antagonism: At the beginning of each player’s end step, that player loses 2 life unless one of their opponents lost life that turn.
    (This triggered ability has no controller or target, so effects that care about either will do nothing.)

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field
    2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity
    3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine
    4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival
    5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven
    6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger
    7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar
    8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon
    10. PJim: Island, Slippery Bogle, Daze, Sea's Claim
    11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit
    12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress
    13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix
    14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs
    15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth
    16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley
    17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth
    18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the season which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feb 2014

2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity
    I expected to see more grief this week than LLotV last week, it was the clear T0 for me, coupled with undying evil and death's shadow, so I thought I would play 3CB + LloS. Next was the last time there was a life rule, I played pox and performed rather poorly, so I wanted to try again, and my thought process stopped there.

1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field
    6-0, pox > field

3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine
    0-6, VV>me

4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival
    0-6, did not think of this deck at all! Might work great against all the grindy ones, but loses to grief.

5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven
    3-3. LLoS does something!

6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger
    6-0

7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar
    3-3

8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit
    0-6. The mirror I lose.

9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon
    6-0. Finally what I prepared for! I expect you'll do well, it seems I was the only one overly concerned.

0-6. Nice tempo deck. Each of claim or daze alone is enough to beat me.

0-6. The mirror I lose.

12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress
    3-3. I am a bit surprised to see so many cat/cauldrons, curious to see how well they do.

13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix
    6-0. your deck doesn't like pox.

14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs
    3-3, a mirror I did not fully lose to!

15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth
    0-6, way too fast to me. But seeing this, if I had thought of it, I would have considered 3* chancellor + leyline, that would have beaten grief as well and be fast enough against many decks. Just loses to field. Nice deck!

16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley
    3-3.

17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth
    0-6, I have seen that before.

18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated
    6-0.

So, it went horribly :)
    Seems I cannot remember the golden rule of playing what I think is tiers 0 rather than trying a narrow deck that beats it, but not much else :/ 4CB metagame seems to be always varied enough to reward good, powerful decks rather than narrow ones.

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field // 6-0, Daze Field
    2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity // 6-0, Claim Stronghold
    3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine // 0-6, Dazing Vengevine is not enough
    4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival // 6-0, Daze Glory
    5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven // 3-3, OTP Daze anything, then claim Urborg, OTD Familiar is enough
    6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger // 0-6, I can lose to this in so many different ways
    7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar // 3-3, Familiar wins, Dazing Familiar wins
    8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit // 6-0, Claim Stronghold
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon // 0-6, Grief takes Daze
    11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit // 3-3, Pox wins, Dazing Pox wins
    12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress // 3-3, Familiar wins, Dazing Familiar or Claiming Swamp wins
    13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix // 6-0, Daze Scepter, Claim Factory
    14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs // 6-0, I Daze either turn 2 play, then Claim Urborg and Bogle is immune to Maze.
    15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth // 0-6, I should've played Chancellor rather than Bogle.
    16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley // 6-0, OTP, I get a swing in before you can play Field, and Daze Sanctum, so win the race on round rule. OTD, I Claim Valley before it gives you a life, and Daze Sanctum, so win the race on the round rule.
    17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth // 0-6, yep
    18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated // 6-0, Claim anything

60 points

1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field WW
    2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity LL
    3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine LL
    4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival WW
    5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven LL
    6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger WW
    7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar WW
    8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit LL
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon LL
    10. PJim: Island, Slippery Bogle, Daze, Sea's Claim LL
    11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit LL
    12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress LL
    13. Wrath of Pie: Sheltered Valley, Mishra's Factory, Isochron Scepter, Lightning Helix LL
    14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs LL
    15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth LL
    16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley WW
    17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth LL
    18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated <-- Me I panic'ed after submitting 4th invalid deck (sorry Astereal), Might have been smart to build a deck that could win OTP if opponent does nothing.
    Last edited by jhhdk; 06-25-2021 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    Might have been smart to build a deck that could win OTP if opponent does nothing.
    I might be missing something, but I think you're perfectly capable of winning against an opponent who does nothing. Karn lands turn 3, You can empty their hand by turn 6, and restart the game with all their stuff turn 7. Round rule wouldn't kill you until turn 10.

I guess maybe you're interpreting the last ability as only giving you cards exiled with the -3? That's not the case though, it'll give you any permanents taken with the +4.

Sep 2011

I reasoned like dte, but Smallpox looked worse with Peat Bog banned, and Turn 1 Pox beats the turn 2 Smallpox mirror while playing under Grief OTP.

My deck's math: OTP T1 Pox discards 2 cards and takes 7 life each, down to 13. The game rule counts Pox's life loss so I stay at 13. You start with a 2-card hand of your choice. If that hand can't damage me on turn 1, you drop to 11 and I would already race from the game rule even if Nether Spirit just chumps, so you're forced to act first to attack into Spirit or push damage through somehow.
    OTD if you do nothing, I do nothing and the game rule kills you first. I can wait for you to commit a land and threat to the board first, then Pox after to kill the land and threat + discard you (taking 2-3 cards). If you can't damage me on your turn 1, then T1 Pox sees us at 18 vs 20 life and leaves you at 12 and me at 13, still a turn ahead in the race.

Edit: OTP I could also choose to do nothing. If you do nothing, I wait until the round rule has us both at 4 life, then I Pox (skipping a trigger) putting us both at 2. Then you would lose on your turn unless you can deal damage immediately from a 2-card hand. To avoid that, you have to act first and leave a land or threat vulnerable to Pox.

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP Turn 1 Pox discards 2 cards. You can keep Sea+Agent or Sea+Inkmoth. If you give me Agent, I take 2 but then you take 5-7 damage per turn and I easily race. If you play Inkmoth instead, it needs 10 attacks while Nether Spirit only needs 6.
    OTD If you play Sea and Agent, I Pox killing Agent and turning off your other cards. If you play Sea and Inkmoth, I Pox after sacrificing one of your lands and turning off everything but Sleeper Agent (which will backfire like OTP).
    WW 6-0

2. dte: OTP I Pox first, then our Nether Spirits trade forever while the round rule bleeds you first. OTD you have no turn 1 play, so the same happens. WW 6-0

3. Reeplcheep: Nice metagame choice!
    OTP I Pox first, discarding 2. That shuts off Vengevine but makes 2 Rootwallas, which get the critical 1st attack in before Spirit comes back. You end your turn at 13 life to my 11, then the round rule pressures me to attack into you and you can attack back to race me.
    OTD you dump your hand, dropping me to 16. I can Pox away one Rootwalla (10 life vs 13 life) or Ritual out Nether Spirit directly, but the round rule kills me even if I chump Vengevine forever.
    LL 0-6

4. Phasmoid: OTP Pox takes 2 cards and you need 3 to win.
    OTD you suspend both Lotuses so Pox only takes Noxious Revival and Nether Spirit starts attacking by turn 3. Our life totals go
    T1: 12-13
    T2: 10-11
    T3: 6-11
    T4: 2-11
    On your turn 5 Barren Glory triggers to win on upkeep just before you would lose on your end step!
    WL 3-3

5. alphastryk: OTP Pox takes 2 cards so you can't keep the combo, and Nether Spirit races Familiar. OTD you Duress Dark Ritual and then kill me. WL 3-3

6. shiftyhomunculus: OTP I skip my turn so it's the same as OTD. If you play Mountain + Messenger, I Pox killing Messenger and your land, shutting off your deck. If you play out Mountain without Messenger, I Pox killing Mountain still shutting off your deck. If you play out other lands first and try to win with the lands, you need all 3 in play and Pox kills one while taking Messenger from hand/play.
    If you do nothing too, when I'm OTD the round rule kills you first. When I'm OTP I have to do something, but I can wait till we're both at 6 life. On my turn I Ritual out Nether Spirit and go to 4. On your turn you can play Mountain + haste Messenger but can't attack into Spirit, so you drop to 4 as well, then 2/2 Spirit attacks you. If you chump, I survive the round rule at 2 life and kill you with Spirit next turn. If you don't block you go to 2 and I stay at 4. Messenger transforms to 2/2 Menace. To avoid dying to the round rule you attack me to 2, but then Spirit attacks back for 2 lethal. You get to play a 2nd land that turn but it's too slow to matter.
    WW 6-0

7. H: OTP Pox takes 2 cards so you can't keep the combo, and Spirit races Familiar.
    OTD you play Swamp + Oven, then Pox kills your land and wins.
    WW 6-0

8. RoosterCocoa: I Dark Ritual into Nether Spirit, not making yours for you. But your T2 Smallpox into Sheltered Valley is still enough to stabilize and win the mirror.
    OTD you play Stronghold tapped, then Sheltered Valley. If I Pox, you sacrifice Stronghold, Spirits bounce off each other and Valley wins the race. If I Ritual out Nether Spirit, you can hardcast Nether Spirit too and we get the same game state. If I do nothing, Valley wins the race.
    LL 0-6

9. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Pox takes 2 cards from your hand, so you keep Vampire. Nether Spirit trades positively and the round rule would force you to attack into Spirit first.
    OTD Grief takes Pox + Ritual, leaving Spirit stranded in hand and then beats me for 4 Menace per turn.
    WL 3-3

10. PJim: OTP Pox takes 2 cards and Spirit races your threat. OTD you Daze Dark Ritual. WL 3-3

12. silkster: Same as alphastryk. WL 3-3

13. Wrath of Pie: OTP I don't have to act first. If you do nothing, I do nothing until we're both at 4 life, then I Pox us both to 2, skip my trigger, and you lose on your turn no matter what you do. If you do something, Pox takes your 1st land and shuts off your deck.
    WW 6-0

14. maxx!: OTP Pox takes 2 cards, shutting off your spells. You can keep Maze to stop Spirit, but the round rule kills you first since Poxing skips a trigger.
    OTD you have to act first. You play T1 land, then I Pox taking your land and shutting off your spells. You optimally play Urborg first, keeping Maze to stop Nether Spirit, but the rule still kills you first.
    WW 6-0

15. mattamort: Good meta deck.
    OTP Pox just takes 1 card (Chancellor) and your goblin token (made on my upkeep). On your turn you Rebirth to make 3 2/2s, take 2 from the round rule (11 vs 13), then I get back Shadow and take 2 also (11 vs 11). You're forced to attack first into Spirit, so I can kill 1, but then I drop 4 life and would lose to the round rule first so you can sit back and avoid further trades. If Spirit attacks, you just swing back for 4 and win.
    OTD you don't have to act first because you have a 2/2 haste goblin token, so the same line wins for you.
    LL 0-6

16. Serguei: OTP Pox takes 2 cards. You keep Valley + Sea, but Spirit races Valley. OTD you have to act first, so Pox takes your 1st land shutting off your spells and then races Valley. WW 6-0

17. Tylert: Same as mattamort. LL 0-6

18. jhhdk: Pox taking any 1 card or 1 land shuts off your deck. WW 6-0

63 points (21 wins, 0 draws, 11 loss)

@jhhdk: Did you try to submit your Smallpox deck and then have to resubmit last minute because Peat Bog was banned? I wanted to play that. Call the Bloodline is great tech.

The other deck I had was Stylus+Acid with Sunscorched Desert.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-24-2021 at 04:12 PM.

1. Asthereal (TO): Underground Sea, Inkmoth Nexus, Sleeper Agent, Energy Field WW - I thought about Energy Field, but it seemed rather bad because the round effect doesn't care about it so you need something else to trigger life loss.
    2. dte: Ebon stronghold, Nether Spirit, Smallpox, Leyline of sanctity LL - I can try to stall on the play, but you can be patient.
    3. Reeplcheep: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine WL
    4. Phasmoid: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival LL
    5. alphastryk: Urborg, Duress, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven LL
    6. shiftyhomunculus: Snow-Covered Mountain, Keldon Megaliths, Frostwalk Bastion, Village Messenger WW
    7. H: Swamp, Witch's Oven, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar LL
    8. RoosterCocoa: Ebon Stronghold, Sheltered Valley, Smallpox, Nether Spirit LL
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Grief, Undying Evil, Vampire of the Dire Moon LL
    10. PJim: Island, Slippery Bogle, Daze, Sea's Claim LL
    11. FTW: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Pox, Nether Spirit LL
    12. silkster: Swamp, Cauldron Familiar, Witch's Oven, Duress LL
    14. maxx!: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Maze of Ith, Smallpox, Sanctum of Stone Fangs LL
    15. mattamort: Chancellor of the forge, Leyline of the Meek, Great Furnace, Kuldotha rebirth WL
    16. Serguei: Underground Sea;Sanctum of Stone Fangs;Energy Field;Sheltered Valley DD - Your lifegain plan is better than mine, but we still draw.
    17. Tylert: Leyline of the meek, Chancellor of the forge, Great furnace, Kuldotha rebirth WL
    18. jhhdk: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Karn Liberated LL - I missed the simplest thing: Karn exiling my Factory first. Nothing else matters.

7w2d = 23 points

Cabal Therapist session is definitely not tempting at all.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 06-25-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Thread Information