Page 254 of 332 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    15. Tylert: Karakas, Student of warfare, Dismember, Noxious revival WW - I can't believe you missed an opportunity to play Aether Vial.
    I'm in hollidays. litterally spent 5 minutes on my deck.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Serguei View Post
    It won't change anything to my result but I believe that Valentin is only black anywhere. So I am not sure it is match rule of the round
    I announced somewhere that both sides of a double-faced card count towards the round rule. So this is legal.

EDIT: I see H has already answered this, and better than me. I'll keep my focus on work.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    16. FTW: Undiscovered Paradise, Duress, Swords to Plowshares, Stromkirk Noble

4. RoosterCocoa: OTP I make T1 Stromkirk. You play tapped land. I Duress Grist and become 2/2. You make Fulminator Mage. If you don't sac to kill my land, I StP it, so either way Stromkirk wins uncontested.
    OTD you play tapped Woodlot. I Duress Grist. You make Fulminator. Letting me untap is bad (I cast Stromkirk, then same problem as OTP), so you kill my land now to draw.
    WD 4-1
    Grist is a creature in addition to its normal types when it's in my hand, so it can't be hit by Duress. I think this means I win both on the play and the draw because you can't kill Grist once I resolve it.

How does Cenn interact with menace?

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    How does Cenn interact with menace?
    Can block an extra creature doesn't help against "can only be blocked by 2 or more", so Menace gets past it.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Dismember"

1. Asthereal (TO): Tropical Island, Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Daze
    Daze 3-3

2. Wrath of Pie: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Myr Superion, Deputy of Detention
    I did not shoot the Deputy 3-3

3. Phasmoid: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse
    Licia smash! 6-0

4. RoosterCocoa: Hickory Woodlot, Twilight Mire, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Fulminator Mage
    Mage 0-6

5. dte: Gemstone mine, lightning bolt, serene remembrance, Encroach
    Licia smash! 6-0

6. Reeplcheep: Tundra, Daze, cenn’s tactician, Dismember
    Daze 3-3

7. PJim: Tundra, Chancellor of the Tangle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Stormscape Apprentice
    Thalia 3-3

8. alphastryk: Gemstone Mine, Old-Growth Dryads, Encroach, Swords to Plowshares
    Swords :( 0-6

9. H: Badlands, Inkmoth Nexus, Valentin, Dean of the Vein, Furor of the Bitten
    Licia smash! 6-0

10. silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence
    Swords 0-6

11. Serguei: Remote Farm, Interplanar beacon, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    Grist 2-2

12. maxx!: Scrubland, Cenn’s Tactician, Encroach, Dismember
    Licia smash! 6-0

13. mattamort: Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Tropical Island, Daze
    Daze 3-3

14. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord, Licia, Sanguine Tribune
    That's me playing a better Goblin Lackey

15. Tylert: Karakas, Student of warfare, Dismember, Noxious revival
    Karakas 0-6

Swords 3-3

Total: 44 points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 07-08-2021 at 08:23 PM.

4. RoosterCocoa: Hickory Woodlot, Twilight Mire, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Fulminator Mage

You have to Daze my Fulminator Mage since otherwise it will destroy your land and you won't be able to cast Daze or Dismember. This means that Grist resolves, and it wins against the Baloth and Dismember. WW

2. Wrath of Pie: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Myr Superion, Deputy of Detention
    Deputy exiles Grist and I am sad. LL

3. Phasmoid: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse
    OTP you can only suspend 1 card before I blow up your land, and Grist has created enough tokens once it comes out of suspend to chump block its attack and then -2 to kill it, before winning with Grist's +1. OTD you can suspend 2 cards. Grist's tokens are black, so Corpse is just a worse Baloth, so I will only consider the cases when you suspend Baloth and then Corpse or when you suspend Sand-Mage and then Baloth. If you suspend Baloth and then Corpse, Baloth comes into play on turn 6 and then Corpse on turn 7. I blow up your land on my turn 2, then play Grist on my turn 3. I +1 Grist each turn until your creatures come into play, so by your turn 6 Grist is at 6 loyalty and I have 3 1/1s. This means when your Baloth comes into play, I chump block its attack and then on my turn -2 Grist to kill it. This leaves Grist at 4 loyalty and me with a single 1/1. When your Corpse comes into play, Grist can eat an attack from it, then +1 and chump block every turn until Grist has enough loyalty to -2 and kill it, meaning I eventually win. Let us then consider the case when you suspend Sand-Mage and then Baloth. If I try to blow up your land, your creatures are too fast and kill Grist, so instead I play Grist on turn 2 and Fulminator Mage on turn 3, and don't sacrifice the Mage. This means you suspend Corpse on you turn 3, so Sand-Mage and Baloth will come out of suspend on your turn 5, and Corpse will come out of suspend on your turn 8. On your turn 5, Grist is at 6 loyalty and I have Fulminator Mage and 3 1/1s. I block Sand-Mage with Fulminator Mage and chump Baloth with a 1/1. On my next turn I then -2 Grist to kill the Baloth. I am still left with a 1/1, so by the time Corpse comes out of suspend I can chump block it and then -2 Grist to kill it, meaning I win. WW

I can't beat Encroach. LL

OTD you play Tactician on turn 1. On turn 2 you make it a 2/2, then on my turn you Daze my Fulminator Mage since otherwise you will never be able to cast Daze. On turn 3 you make Tactician a 3/3, and on my turn I play Grist, using its +1 to make a 1/1 and put it at 4 loyalty. On your turn you can Dismember the 1/1 and put Grist to 1 loyalty, but this ends with Grist killing you by making a 1/1 to chump block Tactician every turn until it can absorb an attack and then use its -2 to kill Tactician. If you don't Dismember this turn it ends the same way, since I can always chump block Tactician when it could kill Grist, so I win. OTP it is even better for me. WW

7. PJim: Tundra, Chancellor of the Tangle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Stormscape Apprentice
    Since Grist is a creature on the stack, I think it avoids the Thalia tax. If so, Grist making a 1/1 each turn and then eventually killing your creatures is too much for you. However, I am not really sure about the Grist Thalia interaction, so someone who knows the rules better please let me know if I'm wrong. Tentative WW

OTP I play Woodlot, then you play Valentin, then on my turn 2 I blow up Badlands so you can't play anything else or attack with Nexus. I get enough 1/1 insects from Grist to block Valentin before Grist can be killed, so I eventually win. OTD you play Valentin on turn 1, then put Furor on it on turn 2 and attack me down to 17, bringing you to 23. On my turn 2 I play Fulminator Mage. On your turn 3 you attack me down to 14 with Valentin and go up to 26, and put 1 poison counter on me by attacking with Nexus. On my turn 3 I play Grist and +1 it to make a 1/1 insect. On your next turn you have to attack with Valentin, so I can block it with both the Mage and the insect to kill it, and you go up to 29 life. You can either attack with Nexus this turn or use Valentin's ability to make a 1/1 pest. No matter what I do I think I die to poison before I can kill you, and I can't find a way to both kill Nexus with Fulminator Mage and not lose Grist to Valentin, so I lose. WL

10. silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence
    I can't beat Evil Presence. LL

11. Serguei: Remote Farm, Interplanar beacon, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    OTP I blow up one of your lands before you can play anything and win. OTD you play Grist on turn 2 and +1 it, I play Fulminator Mage, you play Kaya and -2 Grist to kill Mage. Then I can play Grist but can't keep creatures due to Kaya's -1 before my Grist is killed, so I lose. WL

Same as Asthereal, WW

14. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord, Licia, Sanguine Tribune
    OTD you play Sorin and then Licia on turn 1. On turn 2 you put 4 +1/+1 counters on Licia and attack me down to 12. On my turn 2 I play Grist and +1 to make an Insect. Licia does not have trample or flying, and Sorin can only kill the Insect by sacrificing Licia, so I can chump block your turn 3 attack. On my turn 3 I play Fulminator Mage and -2 Grist sacrificing Mage to kill Licia. I then can eventually kill you with Insects since Sorin can't do anything without other vampires. OTP I kill Licia even faster. WW

I blow up Karakas and level 2 Student can't get through Grist creating a 1/1 each turn until it has enough loyalty to absorb a hit from Student and then -2 to kill it, so I win. WW

16. FTW: Undiscovered Paradise, Duress, Swords to Plowshares, Stromkirk Noble Duress does nothing because Grist is a creature in my hand. OTD, you play Noble turn 1, then on turn 2 attack and make it a 2/2. On my turn 2, I blow up your land. On your turn 3, you attack me and make Noble a 3/3. On my turn 3, I play Grist and make a 1/1 each turn to chump block Noble until it has enough loyalty to take a hit from Noble and then -2 to kill it, before going on to win the game. OTP Noble is smaller so it is even better for me. WW

18W 0D 12L = 54

Fairly good given I had no clue what anyone else was going to play other than land destruction. Fulminator Mage wasn't great, I probably should have found another threat that meant I didn't just lose to decks with 1 mana land destruction.

Perhaps someone has mentioned this, but isn’t Max’s deck illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Perhaps someone has mentioned this, but isn’t Max’s deck illegal?
    Black Phyrexian mana and black mana are different mana symbols, so he has three different symbols and thus has a legal entry.

(Colors possibly could have worked better, so everyone could submit Transguild Courier, naturally.)

maxx!: Scrubland, Cenn’s Tactician, Encroach, Dismember

OTP Encroach gets your dual land. OTD you have Dismember for my threat and Daze for my removal. 3-3

Yeesh, no lands at all. You have to keep Vial on 3 until you're ready to Deputy, and I can Dismember to get my Tactician back, but that's gotta be too slow to stop Superion from killing me. 4 attacks will do it, and I can't get Tactician big enough to block in 4 turns. 0-6

OTP Encroach wins. OTD is tricky. Your threats are super slow, and I can Dismember at least one. I think if I save Dismember for Corpulent Corpse (due to Fear) that I should have time to make Tactician big enough to block your guys while it grows to one shot you. Math below, but there may be a better line for you. Looks like 6-0

Encroach keeps you off 3 mana. 6-0

Encroach decks trade. 3-3

Just like Asthereal. 3-3

I'm sensing a pattern here. OTP I lock you out. OTD Thalia locks Dismember out, and then Apprentice keeps Tactician tapped forever. 3-3

Encroach decks trade. 3-3

OTP Encroach takes Badlands. OTD Encroach takes Inkmoth, and Dismember kills Valentin. 6-0

Swarm Shambler seems nuts. Sure wish I had that in my deck instead of Cenn's Tactician. OTP Encroach you. OTD we both have removal for each other's threats, but you get a 1/1 insect left over to kill me. 3-3

Encroach wins this one. 6-0

This is me :]

See Asthereal. 3-3

No nonbasics! Nice deck. OTP I play my land and pass to threaten Dismember on Licia (in response to adding the counters, or on my turn if you don't add counters). Sorin can't kill me by himself so we stare. OTD you get a 7/7 Vampire and I can't stop that. 1-4

OTP I Encroach, but you actually get to Noxious your land back and play a normal game. We Dismember each other's threats and stare. OTD you get to use Noxious to revive your Student, while Encroach does nothing. 1-4

OTP Encroach gets your land. OTD Duress gets Dismember, Swords gets Tactician, and Noble kills me. 3-3

3+0+6+6+3+3+3+3+6+3+6+3+1+1+3 = 50

I've been on the verge of playing Encroach for a few rounds, and a forced 3-color round seemed like a big enough reason to go for it. Looks like several others felt the same way. Pretty interesting round.

----

vs Phasmoid (me OTD)
    T1: Shivan Sand-Mage (4) / Cenn's Tactician (1/1)
    T2: Durkwood Baloth (DB 5, SSM 3) / pump (CT 2/2)
    T3: Corpulent Corpse (CC 5, DB 4, SSM 2) / pump (CT 3/3)
    T4: (CC 4, DB 3, SSM 1) / pass (CT 3/3)
    T5: SSM removes 2 counters from DB, DB attacks (m: 15, CC 3), EOT pump CT (4/4)
    T6: CC 2, DB attacks (m: 10), EOT pump CT (5/5)
    T7: CC 1, DB and SSM both attack, CT blocks DB and pumps (m: 7, CT 6/6)
    T8: CC and SSM are both available to attack, but CT is untapped as a 6/6 and I have Dismember ready. I Dismember CC (m: 3) and sit back until CT is 17/17 or bigger to attack you.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Black Phyrexian mana and black mana are different mana symbols, so he has three different symbols and thus has a legal entry.

(Colors possibly could have worked better, so everyone could submit Transguild Courier, naturally.)
    Yeah, I came to that conclusion as well. But when I did, it was a bit late to completely change the premise. So I went for this version.
    It's not the best round ever, but thankfully we still have the bannathon and several more rounds that look promising.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

In retrospect, leaning into the "mana symbols not colors" angle might have been a really clever way to beat all the land destruction. Something like Swamp, Encroach, Rakdos Cackler, Dismember (obviously this deck isn't amazing but you get the idea)

When was the last time round rule was edited?

It seems different from what I read initially and even if it is my mistake to not read it before submitting, I would have liked to see the mmmchanges.

me: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse

almost-solely aggro this time
    I did not think of Undiscovered Paradise, although I now realize that it would've left me
    unable to pay for Daze, so I'm guessing that would've actually made things worse for me.

I suspend my creatures on my first 3 turns, and none of them reach
    the stack before my T5, so I can always pay 1 life for a single Daze.

38 points

1. Asthereal (TO): Tropical Island, Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Daze ​ WW 6-0

I could alternatively win with T2 Sand-Mage to get all of my creatures on T6,
    but it’s simpler for me to sequence ​ Sand-Mage , Corpse , Baloth .
    Mana Confluence costs me at most 4 life, so I have at least 16 life other than paying for it.
    Your Baloth would land on T6, but Sand-Mage lands on T5 and puts
    2 time counters on your Baloth, so your Baloth actually lands on T8.
    If you don’t dismember Sand-Mage or Corpse before T8, then before T8, you take
    3+3+3 damage from Sand-Mage and 3 damage from Corpse, leaving you with 8 life.
    In that case, 3 more attacks from Corpse would kill you, you
    can’t block it due to fear, and you would need 4 attacks to kill me.
    Thus, you’d have to Dismember Corpse anyway, so you might-as-well
    Dismember Sand-Mage or Corpse the turn the target lands.
    You only get 1 attack before my Baloth lands, so if you Dismember Sand-Mage then
    my Baloth holds off yours while Corpse kills you (Fear). ​ Thus you Dismember Corpse.
    That costs you 4 life, and Sand-Mage deals 9 damage before T8, bringing you down to 7 life.
    You can attack once before my Baloth lands, leaving me with at least 11 life.
    That is a life advantage for me, so my 5/5 plus 3/2 beats your 5/5.

2. Wrath of Pie: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Myr Superion, Deputy of Detention ​ LL 0-6

I’m slow-enough that you can land Myr Superion
    and have the Deputy ready before I can even attack.
    Your Deputy Detains my Corpse the turn after Corpse lands, so Corpse deals at most 3 damage.
    My other creatures would just die to Myr Superion, so as long as Myr Superion
    stays back, my other creatures combined deal at most 3 damage to you.
    Thus your Chancellor lands. It attacks, so I have to double-block, which costs me my Baloth.
    Once that happens, Myr Superion starts attacking. It would kill me in 4 unblocked attacks,
    whereas I would need at least 5 counterattacks to kill you, so you win.

3. Phasmoid: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse ​ <- this is me

4. RoosterCocoa: Hickory Woodlot, Twilight Mire, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Fulminator Mage ​ LL 0-6

(This is mainly taken from your results-post, but you omitted the possibility of me using
    Sand-Mage to speed up my slower other creature rather than my faster other creature.)

If Sand-Mage is not one of my first 2 suspends, then:
    On T2, you Fulminate my land. ​ On T3, you cast Grist and make a token, bringing Grist to 4.
    On your next 2 turns, you make 2 more tokens, bringing Grist to 6.
    On T6, you block and kill, leaving you with 1 token Grist with 4 loyalty.
    After that, you keep blocking and making tokens to increase
    Grist’s loyalty until it has enough to survive an attack and a -2.
    I can’t deal more than 5 damage to you in that process
    (1 attack from Baloth), so Grist’s +1 tokens then win for you.

If Sand-Mage is my T2 suspend, then:
    You cast T2 Grist and T3 Mage, and use your mage to hold off mine.
    My creatures enter no earlier than T6, at which point you have 4 tokens and Grist has 7 loyalty.
    You use 2 tokens to hold off the initial attacks of my 2 non-mage creatures,
    and 1 more to kill one of my 2 non-mage creatures.
    After that, you keep blocking and making tokens to increase
    Grist’s loyalty until it has enough to survive an attack and a -2.
    I can’t deal more than 5 damage to you in that process
    (1 attack from Baloth), so Grist’s +1 tokens then win for you.

If Sand-Mage is my T1 suspend, then:
    You cast T2 Grist and T3 Mage, use your mage to hold off mine,
    and +1 Grist at least until I get a creature.
    Since your mage holds off mine, if I don’t get something other than Sand-Mage
    before T6, then I lose just like the ​ “Sand-Mage is my T2 suspend” ​ case.
    Thus, suppose Sand-Mage targets my T2 suspend, so those both enter on T5.
    At that point, you have 3 tokens and Grist has 6 loyalty.
    On T5, you use 2 tokens and 2 loyalty to block and kill my non-mage creature.
    On T6, you make another token, which will let you do the same to my
    other non-mage creature, since that creature will only enter on T8.
    Your mage holds of my mage, so you then win with Grist’s +1 tokens.

5. dte: Gemstone mine, lightning bolt, serene remembrance, Encroach ​ WL 3-3

When I am OTD, you Encroach upon my Mana Confluence and then your recursion kills me on T31.
    When I am OTP, I T1 suspend Baloth, which is all I need. ​ You can’t double-bolt in a single turn,
    so you can’t kill Baloth, so Baloth will kill you on T9, which is way before T31.
    (You deal 3 damage at a time, so 19 vs 20 life doesn’t affect how long it would take you to kill me.)

6. Reeplcheep: Tundra, Daze, cenn’s tactician, Dismember ​ LL 0-6

You don’t use Daze. ​ You cast T1 Cenn’s Tactician, and your creature will attack if it’s 20/20,
    but otherwise you do nothing during your turns after your T1.
    On my T3 and T4, you pump your creature to 2/2 and 3/3 respectively.

if Corpse enters on T5 then:
    I must have suspended Sand-Mage on T1 and Corpse on T2.
    You Dismember Corpse and take 3 damage from Sand-Mage. ​ That leaves you with 13 life.
    On my T6 and each of my turns after that, if your creature is smaller than 20/20
    then you pump in combat or my end step, depending on whether I attacked.
    That means Mage doesn’t attack on T6 or T7, and Tactician will be 5/5 when Baloth enters.
    If I attack in, then I deal at most 3 damage to you while
    going down to 1 creature, so I lose to your growing creature.
    If I don’t, then I have to block when you attack with a 20/20.
    My counterattack can only do 5 damage, so you win.

if Baloth enters on T5 then:
    I must have suspended Sand-Mage on T1 and Baloth on T2.
    On my turns 5 and 6, you don’t block Baloth but block Sand-Mage if able,
    and pump in combat or my end step depending on whether Mage attacked.
    That means Sand-Mage doesn’t attack on those turns, so you take
    10 damage on those turns and pump to 5/5 in my T6 end step.
    Starting on T7, if your creature is smaller than 20/20, you block if able and
    block Baloth if able, and if you haven’t tapped your land for Dismember,
    you pump in combat or my end step depending on whether I attacked.
    That makes your creature 6/6 before Corpse lands,
    so the mana shortage you might face doesn’t matter.
    You Dismember Corpse to stop it from attacking, and aside from
    any damage you took on T7, that would leave you with 6 life.
    If I attack in on T7 or later, then I deal at most 3 damage to you
    while going down to 1 creature, so I lose to your growing creature.
    My counterattack can only do 5 damage, which leaves you with 1 life, so you win.

if neither Corpse nor Baloth enter on T5:
    When Corpse enters, you Dismember it to stop it from attacking.
    That will cost you 4 life and 1 pump.
    You block Baloth if and only if you can do so without losing you creature.
    Otherwise, you block Sand-Mage if able.
    Unless your land is tapped for Dismember, you pump in
    combat or my end step depending on whether you block.
    That means Sand-Mage doesn’t attack on T5.
    Baloth may be able to get through on T6 and T7, but Sand-Mage attacking
    then gives it up either for nothing or for 3 damage instead of 5 damage.
    Thus, just after my T7 and subtracting your life for Dismember, you have at least
    6 life and either your creature is 6/6 or it’s 5/5 and you already cast Dismember.
    In either case, if I attack in after my T7, then I deal at most 3 damage to you
    while going down to 1 creature, so I lose to your growing creature.
    My counterattack can only do 5 damage, which
    leaves you with 1 life after Dismember, so you win.

7. PJim: Tundra, Chancellor of the Tangle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Stormscape Apprentice ​ WL 3-3

I did not work this match out manually, but instead wrote Python code to solve this matchup. ​
    Writing the code might’ve taken longer than solving this one manually, but I should be able
    to easily modify it for my match against H, and it will likely be helpful in future rounds too.

According to my code, this is WL, and in both games, my best choice is
    suspending Sand-Mage on T2 to get all 3 of my creatures on T6, at the cost of 3 life.
    On turns ​ 2,3,4 , ​ PJim attacks me for 8 in total, reducing me to 9 life.

optimal continuation according to my Python code when I am OTP:

PJim survives longest not attacking, against which I can just kill him with
    whichever of Baloth/Corpse he doesn’t tap, so for most of the rest of this
    section I have PJim give priority to coming closer in terms of life totals.
    On turns ​ 5,6,7 , ​ Thalia attacks alone, reducing me to 7,5,3 life respectively.
    On my T6 and T7, Stormscape Apprentice taps Baloth before I declare attackers,
    and my other two creatures attack, reducing PJim to 14 and then 8 life.
    On my T8, Stormscape Apprentice taps Baloth before I declare attackers,
    and Sand-Mage attacks alone, reducing PJim to 5 life.
    PJim could tap Corpse and attack, reducing me to 1 life, but that
    would lose on my next turn, so I switch to having PJim give priority to
    surviving longer over having more life when he reduces me to 1 life.
    As a result, PJim keeps both of his creatures back on his T8.
    On my T9, Stormscape Apprentice taps Baloth before I declare attackers,
    and Corpse attacks alone, reducing PJim to 2 life.
    Now, PJim taps Sand-Mage and attacks, reducing me to 1 life, since
    no matter what PJim does I win on my T10 by attacking with everything that can.

optimal continuations according to the Python code when I am OTD:

On T5, both creatures attack, and on T6, Thalia attacks alone.
    That reduces me to 4 life. ​ On my T6, Stormscape Apprentice taps Baloth or Corpse
    before I declare attackers, and Sand-Mage attacks alone. ​ That reduces PJim to 17 life.
    On PJim’s T7, Stormscape Apprentice taps whichever of ​ Baloth , Corpse
    isn’t already tapped and Thalia attacks, reducing me to 2 life.
    The reason PJim can finish me off is, Stormscape Apprentice can tap a creature during my turn
    and again during the next turn before combat. ​ I will refer to that as doing the double-tap.
    If I had 1 more life, then attacking with Sand-Mage and Baloth but not Corpse
    would draw, even if you had 4 more life. ​ Since I don’t, that loses on your next turn.
    If you had 4 less life, then Baloth attacking alone would draw, even if I was at just 1 life.
    However, even with 3 less life, that doesn’t bring you in range of a double-attack,
    so you would still win by tapping Corpse to make me chump-block with Sand-Mage,
    and then doing the double-tap so Thalia gets an attack through.
    I survive longest by keeping both Baloth and Corpse on defense.
    Sand-Mage may or may not attack; suppose it doesn’t tap but PJim takes 3 damage anyway.
    That reduces PJim to 14 life. PJim says go.
    If I attack, then PJim wins on his next turn wins by doing the
    double-tap so Thalia gets an attack through. ​ Thus I don’t attack.
    PJim does the double-tap anyway, on Baloth and Corpse, and
    attacks with Thalia so that I must chump-block with Sand-Mage.
    If I attack, then I lose to an immediate tap and counterattack, and if I don’t,
    then PJim does the double-tap to win on PJim’s turn after that anyway.

8. alphastryk: Gemstone Mine, Old-Growth Dryads, Encroach, Swords to Plowshares ​ WL 3-3

When I am OTD, you Encroach upon my Mana Confluence and then win with Dryads.

when I am OTP:
    My sequence is ​ Sand-Mage , Corpse , Baloth . ​ ​ ​ That costs me 3 life.
    Sand-Mage targets Corpse, so both of those enter on T5.
    You get 3 attacks before then, leaving me at 8 life.
    As long as you have not yet used StP, Corpse attacks while Sand-Mage stays back to trade.
    You can’t block Corpse, so you must use StP or Corpse of Sand-Mage.
    Once you use StP on one of them, the other of them will subsequently stay back to trade.
    You might get 1 more attack in the turn you cast StP, but that would still leave me with 5 life.
    Thus, Baloth enters and wins for me.

9. H: Badlands, Inkmoth Nexus, Valentin, Dean of the Vein, Furor of the Bitten ​ WW 6-0

See my long analysis post on the next page.

10. silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence ​ LL 0-6

T1 Evil Presence means I don’t get to suspend more than 2 creatures,
    and if I suspend more than 1 then my T2 suspend is Corpse.
    Sand-Mage followed by Corpse is faster than T1 Corpse,
    so I do either that or Baloth followed by Corpse.
    You cast T2 Swarm Shambler and will spend 1 turn casting StP on Corpse before Corpse attacks,
    so you are 2 turns slower than T1 Chronomaton with continuous pumping, but
    Swarm Shambler still becomes 6/6 on my T9, so you stabilize with at least 5 life left.
    You pump to 20/20, and then 2 attacks wins for you.

11. Serguei: Remote Farm, Interplanar beacon, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper ​ WL 3-3

(This is mainly taken from your results post.)

If Grist makes a token while you already had all-but-one of my creatures handled and you have
    more life than that creature's power, then you win, since you chump-block until Grist has reached
    8 loyalty, let through 1 attack, kill my creature, and win with however many more tokens you need.
    (Your tokens are black, so they can block Corpulent Corpse.)

when I am OTD:
    You cast T2 Grist. ​ By my T5, Grist will have 7 loyalty and you will have 4 tokens.
    You use 2 tokens to handle Sand-Mage, leaving you with 2 other tokens, and what still matters is
    when my other creatures enter. ​ If one of them enters on T5, then you chump-block on T5,
    kill my other creature on T6, and make another token before my one remaining creature enters.
    If Baloth+Corpse enter on T6, then when they do, Grist will have 8 loyalty and you will
    have 3 tokens other than the 2 handling Sand-Mage. ​ On my T6, you chump-block
    Baloth and you or Girst take 3 damage from Corpse. ​ On your T7, Grist kills Baloth,
    leaving Gist with at least 3 loyalty you with at least 1 token that’s not handling Sand-Mage.
    That token blocks on my T7, and then you make more for a win.

when I am OTP:
    I have not checked everything, but all that I have checked suggests
    that me getting all 3 of my creatures on T6 is fast-enough for me

12. maxx!: Scrubland, Cenn’s Tactician, Encroach, Dismember ​ LL 0-6

Reeplcheep ​ beats me both times even without Daze,
    so you beat me both times even without Encroach.

13. mattamort: Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Tropical Island, Daze ​ WW 6-0

This is the same as Asthereal’s deck.

14. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord, Licia, Sanguine Tribune ​ LL 0-6

You goldfish on T3, which is before I can cast anything.

15. Tylert: Karakas, Student of warfare, Dismember, Noxious revival ​ WW 6-0

Karakas doesn’t help against me.
    I suspend Sand-Mage on T2, so that all of my creatures enter on T6. ​ That costs me 3 life.
    You can’t block Corpse anyway, and I won’t attack with anything else on T6,
    so you deal 1,3,3,3,3 damage to me on turns 2,3,4,5,6 respectively.
    That leaves me with 4 life. ​ On my T6 and T7, Corpse attacks alone, reducing you to 14 life.
    Student attacking again before T8 would just have it die to Baloth for nothing,
    but once Student reaches level 7, it had better try attacking,
    since otherwise you just lose to Corpse (Fear).
    Baloth blocks, for a trade. ​ You need to Revive Student,
    since otherwise you just lose to Sand-Mage plus Corpse.
    That reduces you to 12 life. ​ I double-attack, reducing you to 6 life.
    My next attack would be for lethal, so revived Student must block before it can attack again.
    That is just a chump-block, so I win on my next turn after that block.

16. FTW: Undiscovered Paradise, Duress, Swords to Plowshares, Stromkirk Noble ​ DD 2-2

I don’t lose:
    I suspend Sand-Mage on T2, so that all of my creatures enter on T6. ​ That costs me 3 life.
    On your turns 2,3,4,5,6 , ​ you deal 1,2,3,4,5 damage respectively, leaving me with 2 life
    and Noble as a 6/6 when my creatures enter. ​ Even after StP, I will
    still have at least 6 non-Human power, so I don’t lose any more life.

For you to avoid losing, Noble attacks on your turns ​ 2,3,4 , ​ Noble attacks
    on your turns ​ 2,3,4 , ​ dealing 6 damage and becoming a 4/4 before my T5.

if Corpse enters on T5 then:
    That plus the 6 damage leaves me with at most 12 life when Sand-Mage and Baloth enter.
    You StP Corpse before it can attack, and Noble attacks on your turns 5,6,7.
    That is all before Baloth enters, I can’t deal more than 9 damage to you
    before then, and if I don’t block then I take 15 damage, which would be lethal.
    Thus I do block, but Noble still becomes a 6/6.
    My only remaining creature is a 5/5, and a single attack by it does not kill you, so I don’t win.

if Baloth enters on T5 then:
    That plus the 6 damage leaves me with at most 12 life when Sand-Mage and Baloth enter.
    You StP Baloth before it can attack, so I can’t attack for more than 3 that turn.
    On your T5, you have at least 17 life and attack with a 4/4. ​ If I block, then my remaining
    creature is smaller than yours and I can never get a life advantage, so you win.
    Thus I don’t, so I go to at most 8 life and Noble becomes a 5/5.
    At this point, me surviving 3 counterattacks requires me giving up both of
    my creatures, so the only way I might win is by killing you in just 3 attacks.
    You have more than 15 life, so they would have to all be double-attacks.
    However, your creature is bigger than my creatures, so if
    the first is a double-attack then I can’t double-attack again.

if neither Corpse nor Baloth enter on T5:
    The only T5 creature I might get in this case is Sand-Mage, so
    on your T5 you have at least 17 life and can attack with a 4/4.
    I have at most 14 life, so if Sand-Mage blocks then you StP Baloth whenever
    it enters, leaving you with a bigger creature than my 1 remaining creature
    and me with no way to get a life advantage, which means I can’t win.
    Thus I don’t block on T5, so I go to at most 9 and Noble becomes 5/5.
    From here, you still StP Baloth whenever it enters, so the
    “me surviving 3 counterattacks … can’t double-attack again.” ​ explanation still applies.
    Last edited by Phasmoid; 07-16-2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added my last match-result

As I described earlier, I pasted my conditional formatting into this round's actual results grid.
    There is currently a disagreement between me and alphastryk:

OTP me: ​ Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse
    OTD alphastryk: ​ Gemstone Mine, Old-Growth Dryads, Encroach, Swords to Plowshares

alphastryk's comment for this match is
    Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    OTP Encroach wins it, and OTD I can still Encroach and then StP whichever threat you suspended when it arrives.

I suppose alphastryk can still Encroach after I've played my land,
    but I don't see how that helps alphastryk at all. ​ I believe I win this game.

Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    When was the last time round rule was edited?

It seems different from what I read initially and even if it is my mistake to not read it before submitting, I would have liked to see the mmmchanges.
    I’m guessing it was just after

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I haven't worded it properly. It's about casting cost, and it's about playing many colors.
    So playing an Abzan Charm would be enough to meet the rule.

I'll change it now, in order to stop the confusion.

EDIT: 8. Cornucopia: Non-land cards in each deck must in total contain at least 3 different colored mana symbols in their mana costs. Hybrid mana symbols count for 1.
    from page 251.

Feb 2014

3-3, Encroach.

0-6. Chancellor/Vial was a smart idea!

3-3, Encroach. And baloth.

6-0, two lands

Me. Didn't have much time, and thought Encroach would be good this round for providing a lot of wins OTP. End of the reasonning was that I needed removal to not lose all 1-land MUs OTD, and a threat that was resilient to removal.

3-3, Encroach. I draw remembrance before bolt, so tactician can be 4/4 before I cast bolt for the second time.

3-3, Encroach, and Thalia.

3-3, Encroaches.

6-0, either encroach or bolt shine.

4-1. Paradise does not shine against Encroach, but evil presence means that if you just land, go I cannot do anything put pass.

6-0, yay, two lands! I hoped for more of those.

3-3, Encroaches.

3-3, Encroach.

0-6. The only other deck I thought about! Otherwise I did not think of any of the other entries.

6-0, recurring bolt.

4-1, Encroach and duress.

Encroach did what it could, 3-3ing all over. Recurring bolt was not impressive.

OTD dte: ​ Gemstone mine, lightning bolt, serene remembrance, Encroach
    vs
    OTP
    Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence
    4-1. Paradise does not shine against Encroach, but evil presence means that if you just land, go I cannot do anything put pass.

It appears to me that dte loses this game:

Undiscovered Paradise returns during silkster's turns and can be
    re-played in the same turn each time, so Encroach won't be able to take it.
    Swarm Shamlber is a threat, and if dte Bolts it then silkster gets an Insect, which is another threat.
    The turn after that, an Evil Presence infests the Mine, which
    stops dte from Serenely Remembering the Bolt, so silkster wins.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    OTD dte: ​ Gemstone mine, lightning bolt, serene remembrance, Encroach
    vs
    OTP

It appears to me that dte loses this game:

Undiscovered Paradise returns during silkster's turns and can be
    re-played in the same turn each time, so Encroach won't be able to take it.
    Swarm Shamlber is a threat, and if dte Bolts it then silkster gets an Insect, which is another threat.
    The turn after that, an Evil Presence infests the Mine, which
    stops dte from Serenely Remembering the Bolt, so silkster wins.
    You're absolutely right, I thought paradise was an EoT effect without really reading the card. Then it sounds like it was the optimal rainbow land, and the one I should have played.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

FTW seems to have a pile of disagreements.
    I have to say they light up nicely now.

I saw two disagreements elsewhere, but in those, one player was obviously wrong, so I felt free to adjust the scores myself.
    (Encroach doesn't work against a land that's in play. Also, keeping Dismember open against a 4/4 that's can't protect itself against instant removal should stall it.)

Lastly, we're missing results from five players. Please post your scores still. We need your results to determine bannings for next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    FTW seems to have a pile of disagreements.
    I have to say they light up nicely now.
    That pile is probably because FTW was the first to post results, so FTW didn't get to look
    at others' to check before posing. ​ Incidentally, I'm part of one of those disagreements.
    Also, thankyou. ​

3. Phasmoid: If I understand your deck right, on turn 5 you get both Sand Mage and Baloth (or Corpse) and the other comes in much later on turn 8. Or you can get turn 5 Sand Mage -> turn 6 Baloth/Corpse -> turn 7 Corpse/Baloth.
    OTP I play T1 Stromkirk. By turn 5 it's 5/5 and you've taken 1+2+3+4=10 damage from Stromkirk and 2-3 from Mana Confluence [P=7 or 8]. On your turn 5 Sand Mage resolves.

... further explanation cut ...

WD 4-1
    T5 Sand-Mage is an option for my deck, and when I submitted I thought
    I'd use that option more, but my other option ended up being more useful.
    I suspend Sand-Mage on T2, so that all of my creatures come in on T6.
    Once that happens, I will still have at least 6 power even after StP,
    so I can trade two of my creatures for Stromkirk Noble.
    I get ​ DD 2-2 , ​ as explained in my results post.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    You're absolutely right, I thought paradise was an EoT effect without really reading the card. Then it sounds like it was the optimal rainbow land, and the one I should have played.
    Yes. ​ For example, it would've given me 3 more points (WL -> WW) against PJim.
    In fact, in single-land decks, the possibility of instant-speed discard
    (such as Fume Spitter + Cry of Contrition)
    is the only reason I can think of for preferring any other
    3-or-more-color land over Unsidcovered Paradise.

Thread Information