Page 288 of 332 FirstFirst ... 188238278284285286287288289290291292298 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,760 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Asthereal's results for round 7:

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge <-me
    2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant LL
    3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse LL
    4. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Bogardan Hellkite LL
    5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre LL
    6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice LL (see below)
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk WW
    Fury Welder, exiling whatever, token trades for Neonate (or races it) so I have plenty of time to cast my remaining wincon.
    8. FTW: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend WW (see FTWs analysis)
    9. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler WW
    Fury Welder, exiling whatever, token gets blocked by 0/4 and I have plenty of time to cast my remaining wincon.
    10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter LL
    T2 6/5 kills me, and if I drop my land you trade it for the Paradise, which you, hilariously, then proceed to get back later on. Really nice tech, that!
    11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth LL

Total: 18 points. Completely misjudged the meta this round.

Against Reep:
    A: Bazaar, attack (19)
    R: Sus Baloth (B=5)
    A: B=1, attack (18)
    R: B=4, cast Warrior
    A: B=2, attack (17)
    R: B=3, wait // or cast Apprentice, I'll check below if needed. EDIT: Turns out it's not needed.
    A: Upkeep: Warrior my land-resp: B=3, attack (16)
    R: B=2, wait
    A: Upkeep: Warrior my land-resp: B=4, attack (15)
    R: B=1, wait
    A: Upkeep: Warrior my land-resp: B=5, attack (14)
    R: B=0, attack (15)
    A: Upkeep: Warrior my land-resp: B=6, wait
    R: Attack, chump with token
    A: Upkeep: Warrior my land-resp: B=7, wait
    R: Attack (10)
    A: Untap, upkeep: Warrior my land-resp: tap Bazaar for RR, Stomp Warrior, B=5
    R: Attack (5)
    A: Tap Bazaar for 5, cast Fury, do an irrelevant number of damage to Baloth, B=0
    R: Cast Apprentice
    A: B=1, wait
    R: Tap my Fury, attack, I die.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

I must admit that I didn't actually know exactly how Plotter and Undiscovered Paradise interact. I had originally thought that I'd get it back immediately when my opponent untaps it, though I worried that maybe I would only get it back if my opponent tapped it later on. I now that that I get it back on my untap step, giving my opponent one turn to use it. I'm going to do my calculations assuming it's this last one. I tried looking online for this, but I couldn't find any rulings about it.

Me. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge
    Fury was crushing my whole gauntlet until I suddenly found Vedalken Plotter and was so amused that I had to play it, even though it was lackluster against the rest of my gauntlet.
    WW

2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant
    Ydaro and Gnottvold have been on my shortlist for ages, but they always feel too slow. After the success of Dreadship Reef last round, I was expecting more from that cycle.
    WW

3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse
    Slow my gauntlet has gone from Muse+Muse+Farm+City to Muse+Muse+Farm+Tomb to Muse+Muse+Farm+Farm. I'm not surprised to see it show up.
    WW

4. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Bogardan Hellkite
    The version of Fury+Squee+Bazaar that I was "hiding" in pervious rounds included Bogardan Hellkite a Port-proof top end. It doesn't look like Port wasn't very popular, unfortunately.
    WW

5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre
    Oof, that's a lot of lands, but your clock is too slow.
    WW

6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice
    Oh no, you're playing exactly my greatest weakness! Easy WW for you.
    LL

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    I bet you weren't expecting someone to mess with your land instead of the Welder. But I can only do it on the play.
    WL

8. FTW: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend
    I'd been looking at all 4 of those cards separately, but not together like this. You can fiend the big guy and Fury the Plotter.
    Amazingly, I realized last night that I could have used Phyrexian Tower alongside Grief last week (though I don't think anything would have been as strong as Mayor, even being a turn sooner), but didn't piece together that I could still use it with Fury.
    LL

9. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler
    On the play, I can stop you from casting a second spell while also making a 1/1. On the draw, you wreck my lands.
    WL

I think this is where your being able to use Undiscovered Paradise once gets me. LL?

11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth
    By my math, I can take you to exactly 1 on the play because of the Reaver's drawback.
    DL

I think giving you the Paradise mana costs me a point here too. LL?

11W, 0D, 9L - 33 points (pending, as always).

I hope that Plotter gets banned so that we have all have a big durdle fest soon, like the battlecruiser battles that Rise of Eldrazi drafts frequently ended up being.

Too often my gauntlet ends dominated by 2 or 3 versions of 2 or three different decks, and I choose poorly because of it. Plotter was basically WL or DD against my whole gauntlet except for Fury. Grist looked really strong in the abstract, but it folds hard to Fury, so I counted it out. I'm also excited to see that Suspend creatures have suddenly, um... come out of exile. Baloth looks pretty solid against Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The deck I had wanted to play was Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend, Grief, black creature (T1 double discard + 1/1, or T1 discard + creature). Should have played it last round, but Grief got banned quickly, so I tried a variation of it with Fury. Unfortunately it doesn't always get value out of Fury, but it does beat combo and play around LD. I expected those and underestimated how many slow storage land decks would show up.
    Ooh, that would have been a nice Grief deck. I figured with the remaining LD options being so limited, Lackey->Settler being covered by Fury, and Dreadship Reef being so dominant and having many variations available, LD would be good. I only found Plotter this week too. I remember it being sometimes playable in draft because you could trade a basic for a bounce land, but I don't think I've ever cast one. And then I realized that my deck is very close to Fulminator + Regisaur, which was also very successful, so I went for it.
    Last edited by silkster; 12-22-2021 at 08:42 PM.

6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge WW
    2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant LL - The first nemesis of land hate: instant-speed trickery.
    3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse WW
    4. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Bogardan Hellkite WW
    5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre WW - The second nemesis of land hate: playing three lands. Too bad Ulamog is slow.
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk WL - The third nemesis of land hate: artifacts not caring about land types.
    8. FTW: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend WD
    9. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler WL
    10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter WW - Vedalken Plotter is hilarious. Well, except against Undiscovered Paradise.
    11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth WD - Undiscovered Paradise laughs at Port, which I underestimated.

14w2d = 44 points

I fear we are really far from silkster's durdling format, still have more land hate to deal with after all.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 12-26-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I must admit that I didn't actually know exactly how Plotter and Undiscovered Paradise interact. I had originally thought that I'd get it back immediately when my opponent untaps it, though I worried that maybe I would only get it back if my opponent tapped it later on. I now that that I get it back on my untap step, giving my opponent one turn to use it. I'm going to do my calculations assuming it's this last one. I tried looking online for this, but I couldn't find any rulings about it.
    "T: Add one mana of any color. During your next untap step, as you untap your permanents, return Undiscovered Paradise to its owner’s hand."

I'm reasonably sure you're right and it comes back at your next untap regardless. The rulings are unfortunately not brilliant:

"It will return even if some effect prevents you from untapping it. The ability is not replacing the untapping of the land in any way." - As expected.

"Only returns to owner’s hand if it is still on the battlefield at the beginning of its controller’s next untap." - First part obvious, bit about controller confusing. I'm inclined to think this is loose wording, and "controller" here refers to the person activating it, not the person controlling it at untap.

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    I bet you weren't expecting someone to mess with your land instead of the Welder. But I can only do it on the play.
    WW
    Sounds like you don't mean WW. WL? Reaver's ability looks like it loses the draw.

Too often my gauntlet ends dominated by 2 or 3 versions of 2 or three different decks, and I choose poorly because of it. Plotter was basically WL or DD against my whole gauntlet except for Fury. Grist looked really strong in the abstract, but it folds hard to Fury, so I counted it out. I'm also excited to see that Suspend creatures have suddenly, um... come out of exile. Baloth looks pretty solid against Fury.
    That's something I've been finding more interesting in this season than the previous. Less solving this week's particular problem, and more trying to figure out what the metagame looks like. I definitely do run into this problem, and I think it's shown up for me this week that my test set was over specialized.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Return of the Goblins"

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge
    Fury :( 0-6

2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant
    Stomped 3-3

Gearhulk smash! 6-0

5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre
    Gearhulk smash! 6-0

LD 3-3

That's me on Goblin combo!

Goblin smash! then Goblin smash! 3-3

10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter
    LD 3-3

Port 3-3

Total: 27 points

You get a 1/1 and can kill one Baloth with Stomp and Fury but can't beat the other. WW

You get Yidaro on turn 5. OTP I get the Baloths fast enough I can double block Yidaro before I die, but you kill both with help from Stomp. Then you can eventually activate Slumbermound and kill me. OTD I just die to Yidaro. LL

Rishadan Port means you never play a creature. WW

I get the Baloths on turn 6 and 7, and you can only play Hellkite on turn 9 so I win before you can do anything. WW

Rishadan Port means you can only play Ulamog with mana from your two Stores with the fewest counters, which means you are too slow and die to the Baloths. WW

Rishaden Port means Stormscape Apprentice can only be activated on your turn. OTP I get both Baloths so I win. OTD you play Tidal Warrior on turn 1, so I only suspend 1 Baloth. You suspend your Baloth on turn 2, and play Stormscape Apprentice on turn 3. You trade your Baloth for mine, and then win with Stormscape Apprentice. WL

OTP you can only play a 1/1 and die to a Baloth. OTD you get your combo and kill me. WL

You can take one of my Baloths, but are too slow to race the other and need to block with your Mesmeric Fiend to kill it, which gives me back my second one. WW

OTP I suspend both Baloths. You can destroy my Forest and bounce one, but only win on turn 12 which means my one Baloth is enough to win. OTD I only suspend one Baloth before you destroy my Forest, so you can bounce it and slowly win. WL

10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter
    OTP you never play anything. OTD you can take my Forest after I suspend a Baloth, so I can't play anything else or activate Port. You get Plague Reaver on your turn 3, and my Baloth comes off of suspend on my turn 6, which is just soon enough to draw. WD

14W 1D 5L = 43

Since Mayor got banned, I decided it was safe to just ignore fast decks. Finally a good meta prediction!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post

Rishaden Port means Stormscape Apprentice can only be activated on your turn. OTP I get both Baloths so I win. OTD you play Tidal Warrior on turn 1, so I only suspend 1 Baloth. You suspend your Baloth on turn 2, and play Stormscape Apprentice on turn 3. You trade your Baloth for mine, and then win with Stormscape Apprentice. WL
    You have this as WL while Wrath has DL (WD for you).
    I think this is actually DL for you and WD for Wrath.

OTP, is your line to use Port to prevent Stormscape Apprentice activation on your turn?

Wrath untaps & Paradise returns to hand.
    Tap Tidal Warrior: Make Port an Island
    Play Undiscovered Paradise from hand
    Pass

You untap.
    Port is back to normal, but now too slow to prevent Apprentice from tapping down 1 Baloth before combat.
    Pass

You should trade 1 Baloth each, then Apprentice holds off the other Baloth while Tidal Warrior holds off Port.
    DL?

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    Sounds like you don't mean WW. WL? Reaver's ability looks like it loses the draw.
    Yeah, I even put "this only works on the play". Thanks for pointing it my typo.

Reeplcheep’s results for round 7:

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge fury decks are the one thing I beat it seems. WW
    2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant LL
    3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse WW
    4. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Bogardan Hellkite WW
    5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre <- Me thinking everyone wil be super durdly to beat fury. Probably went too slow though.
    6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice LL
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk LL
    8. FTW: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend LL exiling removal
    LL not respecting the fury it seems.
    10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter LL
    11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth LL

Total: 6 W 14L for 18 I think I had a good idea but I choose my wincon poorly.

maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler

I was already busy with the holidays and didn’t have much time to brew, so this is a resubmission. Maybe it’ll do better this time.

Fury kills Lackey and then Giant kills me eventually. 0-6

OTP Lackey connects and I win. OTD you Stomp Lackey. 3-3

Lackey always hits and you can’t cast anything with 1 land. 6-0

Fury kills Lackey and then you kill me with whatever creature you held. 0-6

Interesting. I think if I double LD I’ll always be fast enough? Quick math OTD:
    T1 Store / Lackey
    T2 1c, Store / Lackey hits, Settler kills the Store with a counter, Faithful exploits itself to bounce Settler (19)
    T3 1c, Store / Lackey hits, Settler kills the Store with a counter (18)
    Now you’ve got 1 Icatian Store with no counters, and I kill you in 9 turns. You can’t cast Ulamog in time. 6-0

OTP If you play a creature on your T1, Faithful bounces it and Lackey hits. If you suspend Baloth instead, Lackey hits and then I hold Faithful to bounce Baloth whenever he lands. OTD you can play both of your 1/1s before I can attack, so Lackey can’t get through, and you have time to kill me with Apprentice and/or Baloth. 3-3

OTP Lackey gets there. OTD you go off turn 2, then I bounce your Gearhulk, and then Welder attacks me 20 times. I think I could force a draw if your threat was Triplicate Titan, but the Gearhulk killing Lackey ETB matters a lot. If I don’t play Lackey, then you just attack with Welder until I do something. 3-3

Fury gets Lackey and Fiend takes Faithful. 0-6

This is me :]

OTP I can always destroy Skerry before it untaps. OTD you can play a creature on turn 2. Reaver just gets bounced and Lackey gets through, so that’s not enough. Plotter can swap lands with me, but both of your lands make U, and Paradise won’t bounce back to your hand u til your next turn, so either way I can bounce Plotter and destroy whatever your most relevant land is (Skerry), locking you out of playing anything. 6-0

OTP I can connect with Lackey and destroy your Forest while only 1 Baloth is suspended, then bounce Baloth when he comes down. OTD you can suspend both Baloths before I stop you, and I can’t beat that. 3-3

0+3+6+0+6+3+3+0+6+3 = 30

Not terrible. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Scores for round 7:
    1. Wrath of Pie: 44 - 4,4
    2. RoosterCocoa: 43 - 4,3
    3. dte: 39 - 3,9
    4. silkster: 33 - 3,3
    5. FTW: 31 - 3,1
    6. PJim: 30 - 3
    7. maxx!: 30 - 3
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 27 - 2,7
    9. Reeplcheep: 21 - 2,1
    10. Asthereal (TO): 18 - 1,8
    11. alphastryk: 12 - 1,2

Which leads to these bannings:
    Bonecrusher Giant
    Durkwood Baloth
    Fungal Reaches
    Gnottvold Slumbermound
    Rishadan Port
    Stormscape Apprentice
    Tidal Warrior
    Undiscovered Paradise
    Yidaro, Wandering Monster

And the season now looks as follows:
    1. PJim: 28,9
    2. dte: 26,7
    3. silkster: 24,7
    4. Asthereal (TO): 20,1
    5. RoosterCocoa: 19,8
    6. Reeplcheep: 18
    7. Wrath of Pie: 17,9
    8. FTW: 17,6
    9. GoblinSmashmaster: 16,8
    10. maxx!: 15,3
    11. alphastryk: 15

So maxx! has vacated last place despite missing a round. PJim and dte keep fighting for the top spot, followed by silk.
    Next round will open shortly, but before that: I hope you all had a nice Christmas, and enjoy New Year's Eve!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 8 OF SEASON 11: LEGACY CREATURES & LANDS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 8, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 5th of January at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Quicksand, Daughti Slayer, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S11R08 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Happy new year!

The deadline for the round has passed, and it looks like I'm missing entries from FTW and GoblinSmashmaster.
    I'll give you guys some more time while I do work stuff.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And then we were complete, so let's go.

DECKS FOR ROUND 8 OF SEASON 11: Legacy Creatures & Lands Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Triplicate Titan
    2. alphastryk: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend
    3. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Boldwyr Heavyweights
    4. Reeplcheep: Golgari Rot-Farm, Volrath’s Stronghold, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Hex Parasite
    5. Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Rishadan Dockhand, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads
    6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry
    7. RoosterCocoa: Tendo Ice Bridge, Saprazzan Skerry, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver
    8. maxx!: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend
    9. silkster: Mountain, Dunes of the Dead, Akki Blizzard-Herder, Greater Gargadon
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furance, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    11. FTW: Saprazzan Skerry, Rainbow Vale, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round 8:

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Triplicate Titan <-me
    2. alphastryk: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend LL 0-6
    3. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Boldwyr Heavyweights LL 0-6
    4. Reeplcheep: Golgari Rot-Farm, Volrath’s Stronghold, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Hex Parasite WW 6-0
    Grist lands too slowly to stop Welder and if it kills my big dude I get 3 smaller dudes who still win it.
    5. Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Rishadan Dockhand, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads WW 6-0
    OTP I get a big dude. OTD you can eternally tap my land to stop Neonate from landing, but that costst mana, so you can't make defenders and Welder will kill you slowly.
    6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry WW 6-0
    EDIT: as dte said, Welder is better than I thought. I can EOT Welder in my Titan, and respond to Image with Weldering back my land, making 3 3/3s and the turn after Weld the Titan back in. So sick...
    7. RoosterCocoa: Tendo Ice Bridge, Saprazzan Skerry, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver WD 4-1
    OTP I get big boy. OTD-EDIT: after trading lands you can't cast Reaver and our 1/1s trade for a draw.
    8. maxx!: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend LL 0-6
    9. silkster: Mountain, Dunes of the Dead, Akki Blizzard-Herder, Greater Gargadon WL 3-3
    OTP I get big dude and race you. OTD you make me sac my land and I have no artifacts to sac to Welder.
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furance, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk LL 0-6
    EDIT: Missed the life gain from the Gearhulk kill. Can't race that.
    11. FTW: Saprazzan Skerry, Rainbow Vale, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver WD 4-1
    OTP I get big boy. OTD-EDIT: Rainbow Vale doesn't do what I expected it to. The land trade doesn't get you both, and if I don't use Vale you can't cast Reaver. Our 1/1s trade and we draw.

Total: 29 points
    Last edited by Asthereal; 01-10-2022 at 03:45 AM.

Sep 2011

I was reluctant to resubmit my last deck, because I figured everyone would metagame against it, but I also struggled to come up with something better. I ripped off silk instead. I hoped people would ignore Plotter after the Undiscovered Paradise ban.

Rainbow Vale has a delayed trigger like Undiscovered Paradise, so I can give it away with Plotter after tapping for mana. Unfortunately Gatherer Rulings show me that "opponent" is defined by who activated the mana ability, not who controls it at the end step, so it doesn't just return to your control. I should have checked this detail first. That means I should have picked TNN over Reaver. I wanted a threat that survived Fury, but gave up a bunch of points from being unable to properly use Reaver.

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I take your Furnace when you just have Welder. If you don't tap Rainbow Vale to cast Neonate, I can't play Plague Reaver to win, and our remaining 1/1s just stare. (TNN would win)
    OTD you get T2 Titan first. DL 1-4

2. alphastryk: That deck was built to wreck turn 2 LD. LL 0-6

3. PJim: T2 Plague Reaver dodges Fury and kills on turn 5. WW 6-0

4. Reeplcheep: T2 Plotter always steals Rot-Farm before you can cast Grist, then I use Rot-Farm to cast Reaver even if you never give me back Rainbow Vale. WW 6-0
    Edit: If you don't play Rot Farm ever, you can threaten to deplete away my Skerry, forcing me to steal Stronghold instead. Then I can't cast Reaver so our 1/1s draw. DD 2-2

5. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play T2 Reaver before you can tap me out, and your threats can't get through my 6/5.
    OTD T1 Dockhand can tap me out of any plays, but that would also prevent you from doing anything. DD 2-2

6. dte: OTP I can play T2 Plotter to take your Skerry, but then you can use Rainbow Vale to cast Phantasmal Image copying Plotter (undoing the trade). Then you play TNN and I play a 6/5. Draw.
    OTD you can play TNN first. If I play a 6/5, you can copy your TNN and win. If I play Plotter, I'll never get black mana again and lose to the TNN. DL 1-4
    Edit: LL. I can't draw due to Sheltered Valley life gain.

7. RoosterCocoa: OTP I play T2 Plotter taking your Skerry. You can't cast anything and my 1/1 wins.
    OTD you can play T2 Plotter, trading your Ice Bridge for my tapped Skerry. You can't cast Reaver but I can't cast anything. WL 3-3

8. maxx!: Same as alphastryk. LL 0-6

9. silkster: OTP I play T2 Plague Reaver, which kills before Gargadon comes down. OTD you play T2 Akki and blow up my land. WL 3-3

10. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I take your Furnace when you just have Welder. If you don't tap Rainbow Vale to cast Neonate, I can't play Plague Reaver to win, and our remaining 1/1s just stare. (TNN would win)
    OTD you get your combo online and can always wait to respond to the Plotter trigger. DL 1-4

18 points (4 wins, 6 draws, 9 loss)
    Last edited by FTW; 01-06-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Feb 2014

Happy new year!
    And I'll start 2022 by disagreeing with both previous posters about our MUs:

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Asthereal's scores for round 8:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Triplicate Titan <-me

6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry LL 0-6
    This assuming Image does what I think it will after copying my 9/9 uberdude. Which is trading and then making 3 3/3s which also trade and Nemesis beats Welder.
    Unfortunately for me, you could weld titan at the end of my turn, attack me with it, and hold welder to exchange back titan if I cast image. So it would be 6-0 for you instead. Image does what you think, but welder is better than :)

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

6. dte: OTP I can play T2 Plotter to take your Skerry, but then you can use Rainbow Vale to cast Phantasmal Image copying Plotter (undoing the trade). Then you play TNN and I play a 6/5. Draw.
    OTD you can play TNN first. If I play a 6/5, you can copy your TNN and win. If I play Plotter, I'll never get black mana again and lose to the TNN. DL 1-4
    Fortunately for me, TNN vs 6/5 is a win for me, as my life is ticking up. I wait a few turns and can attack you.
    0-6 instead?

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Triplicate Titan
    0-6 as per above, even if I hope Asthereal is right and I am wrong.

2. alphastryk: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend
    2-2. I should have just played 2 TNN.

3. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Boldwyr Heavyweights
    6-0. I race

4. Reeplcheep: Golgari Rot-Farm, Volrath’s Stronghold, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Hex Parasite
    6-0. Parasite cannot prevent 1 TNN to arrive, and that is enough.
    Edit: see few posts below, 3-3. I missed recurring grist.

5. Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Rishadan Dockhand, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads
    4-1.

6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry
    Me

7. RoosterCocoa: Tendo Ice Bridge, Saprazzan Skerry, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver
    4-1. OTP I play TNN and win whatever you do afterwards. OTD you can use your tendo counter and exchange the bridge vs skerry for the draw.

8. maxx!: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend
    2-2

9. silkster: Mountain, Dunes of the Dead, Akki Blizzard-Herder, Greater Gargadon
    3-3. Nice T2 LD!

10. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furance, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    6-0. TNN protection is nice here.

6-0, as written above.
    Edit: 36, not 39.

The principle of staying hidden behind a wall of 2 TNN while my life was ticking up until I could break the draw was what I build the deck on. Turns out it was useful only once, but still a good score thanks to TNN being TNN.

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Triplicate Titan LL 0-6 per above.

2. alphastryk: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend DD 2-2 recurring hex holds the draw.

3. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Boldwyr Heavyweights WW 6-0 recurring hex parasite is almost enough by itself.

4. Reeplcheep: Golgari Rot-Farm, Volrath’s Stronghold, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Hex Parasite me

5. Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Rishadan Dockhand, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads Assuming recurring grist is good enough to beat 2 dryads, you need to port on my t3. Thus WL 3-3

6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry trying to kill Grist is a losing battle with 1 TNN. If you don’t attack my grist my hex parasite can eat loyalty counters to be a 2/1. WW 6-0

Edit: race math is complicated. I believe I get Dte to 2 not 9 but I die on t8 all the same OTD. WL 3-3

7. RoosterCocoa: Tendo Ice Bridge, Saprazzan Skerry, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver DD 2-2 you only get to cast 1 3 drop

8. maxx!: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend DD 2-2 like alpha

9. silkster: Mountain, Dunes of the Dead, Akki Blizzard-Herder, Greater Gargadon LL 0-6

10. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furance, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk with both sides having recursion this is tricky, but I think you can stop me from ever having a creature to sac with grist. LL 0-6

Disagreement, you can’t play your second 3 drop with only 1 depletion counter, which I can force without having to play out my rot farm. DD 2-2

Lots of disagreements

4 W 8 D 8L for 20/60. Stinker result for a cool deck.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    4. Reeplcheep: Golgari Rot-Farm, Volrath’s Stronghold, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Hex Parasite me

--

6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry trying to kill Grist is a losing battle with 1 TNN. If you don’t attack my grist my hex parasite can eat loyalty counters to be a 2/1. WW 6-0
    Then disagreement with not the first 2, but the first 3 posters on my MU.

I do think we are both wrong.

Me OTP:
    T1 skerry / land hexpa
    T2 TNN, kill skerry, rotfarm (R18)
    T3 R15 d21 / Grist4, 1 token d20
    T4 R12 d21 / Grist 5, 2 tokens d18
    T5 R9 d19 / Grist 4 (+2 on hexpa), 3 tokens, d13
    T6 R6 d14 / Grist 3, 4 tokens, d8
    T7 R3 d9 / Grist 2, 5 tokens, d2
    T8 --> I win.

And clearly you would win when OTP. 3-3?

Otherwise beautiful deck, I had looked at hexparasite plus stronghold, but never thought of combining it with grist.

PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Boldwyr Heavyweights
    Running on a bit of a lack of inspiration.

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Triplicate Titan / 6-0, Fury
    2. alphastryk: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend / 6-0, Fury or 8/8.
    4. Reeplcheep: Golgari Rot-Farm, Volrath’s Stronghold, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Hex Parasite / Edit: 0-6, Forgot Parasite hitting lands.
    5. Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Rishadan Dockhand, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads / 0-6
    6. dte: Sheltered valley, Phantasmal image, True-name nemesis, Saprazzan skerry / 0-6, Clever use of Image.
    7. RoosterCocoa: Tendo Ice Bridge, Saprazzan Skerry, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver / 0-6, I figured this build was dead without Paradise.
    8. maxx!: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend / 6-0, Fury
    9. silkster: Mountain, Dunes of the Dead, Akki Blizzard-Herder, Greater Gargadon / 0-6, Great find on Blizzard Herder.
    10. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furance, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk / 6-0, Fury or 8/8.
    11. FTW: Saprazzan Skerry, Rainbow Vale, Vedalken Plotter, Plague Reaver / 2-2. If you drop Reaver, it wins turn 6, but with Vale I can cast Heavyweights turn 5. Dropping Plotter obviously draws.

Thread Information