Page 297 of 332 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307 ... LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,940 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Nasst View Post
    Channel (it's an interesting combo piece, specially in a format without eldrazi titans)
    Dark Depths (The combo is hard enough to pull off, specially without hexmage)
    Elixir of Immortality (there are many, many effects that let you recycle cards)
    Fastbond (better mana acceleration is legal, and as a combo piece is interesting)
    Flash (creatureless format, lmao)
    Force of will (you're 2-for-1ing yourself, it's a real cost to pay for interaction)
    Leyline of Singularity
    Mana Drain (this is barely better than counterspell, which is unplayable, imo)
    Mana Vault (this is mostly a worse dark ritual, dark ritual is legal)
    Time Walk (i think people don't realize how big is this card's fall from regular magic to here)
    Without spoiling any tech that isn't already posted here in previous seasons:

I think Fastbond was banned because of Turbocat: Savannah, Steppe Lynx, Fastbond, Selesnya Sanctuary = T2 kill
    In a creatureless format it's fine. Even with creatures, this is much more easily disrupted than other combo.

Leyline of Singularity was banned because of the Karakas combo, which matters less in creatureless.

Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth makes an uncounterable indestructible instant speed 20/20 flying on turn 3. It's 1 turn slower than Hexmage, but there's still space for 1 disruption slot. Without seeing how the format shakes out yet, that seems very hard to beat.

Elixir of Immortality was broken in other seasons and became a late addition to the banlist. It was banned for its low requirements to recycle compared to other engines (made it a flexible fit for many decks) and because it has a solo-combo of +5 life per turn (which many decks can't beat). In a creatureless format, Elixir seems even more busted.

Channel is also easily abused. Not as bad as T2 Emrakul, but you can still basically win turn 2 OTP.

Force of Will was a meta choice. In other seasons we allowed both Force of Will and T2 combos. Later we banned both Force and T2 combos. I think you can't have one without the other. Force is necessary to police fast combo. For a creatureless bannathon, it seems fine to have both Force and fast combo.

Flash, Mana Drain, Leyline, Fastbond, Mana Vault, and Time Walk all seem fine to unban.

9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, MOUNTAIN, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger (Mountain replaces a banned card.)
    You are too slow and can't block and kill Bane of Bala Ged. WW

2. dte: rakdos carnarium, karakas, Nils, discipline enforcer, Lavabrink Venturer
    I attack on turn 4, so OTP I attack when you have one creature and cause you to sacrifice both your lands and then your creature on the next attack. OTD you have both creatures in play when I attack, so you can sacrifice both of your lands, then double block and kill Bane of Bala Ged. WD

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler
    I can't beat fast land destruction. LL

4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower
    The only things you can do before I attack with Bane of Bala Ged are play Petty Theft to bounce Bane or play Brazen Borrower. However, neither of these buys you enough time to build up counters to play Mind Flayer, so I can force you to sacrifice your lands. WW

5. alphastryk: Stomping Ground, Llanowar Mentor, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kris Mage
    You can't make tokens quickly enough to block and kill Bane of Bala Ged. WW

6. PJim: Desert, Keldon Megaliths, Ghitu Encampment, Ice Floe
    I can force you to sacrifice two lands but after that Bane of Bala Ged stays tapped due to Ice Floe. DD

7. Reeplcheep: Karakas, Azorius Chancery, Mangara of Corondor, Giver of Runes
    OTP I attack, but you just sacrifice your lands then use Mangara to exile Bane of Bala Ged and win with Giver of Runes. OTD is the same. LL

8. Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco
    Tidehollow Sculler takes my Bane of Bala Ged. LL

10. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler, Sidisi's Faithful
    I can't beat fast land destruction. LL

11. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant
    I can make you exile one of your lands before you can play Cast Off. WW

12. FTW: Plateau, Tireless Tribe, Blazing Rootwalla, Vengevine
    OTP I play Bane of Bala Ged when I am at 8. If you attack I can block and kill Vengevine and have enough life that I can attack and make you exile your other permanents, so you don't attack. If I attack, you can exile your land and Tireless Tribe and double block to kill Bane of Bala Ged. Therefore, we draw. OTD you are too fast for me. DL

9W 4D 9L = 31

I was hoping this round would be more similar to the last one, with lots of small removal and slow threats. It wasn't perfect, but not nearly as bad as some of my recent rounds have been.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    On your play you get to attack with the new tokens, but you also don't get to block with Alirios & bounce (will be tapped), so I can get more 3/3 attacks through too.

You're right that I can't win, but I think I can manoever around being put on the back foot.

Reeplcheep OTP
    T1 Karakas, Puppet / tapped Battleground
    T2 Chancery tapped / Mountain, sacrifice Battleground, Anurid Scavenger
    T3 Karakas, Alirios tapped. 3/2 token / redraw Battleground, tapped Battleground, Fanatic
    T4 Alirios doesn't untap. Attack with token. Fanatic chumps & pings you [R=19] / redraw & play Fanatic. Anurid attacks [R=16] EOT Karakas bounces Alirios
    T5 Alirios tapped. 2nd 3/2 token. 1 token attacks [F=17] / upkeep ping untapped token, redraw Fanatic, ping again (dead), Anurid attacks [R=13]
    T6 Alirios doesn't untap. Attack with token [F=14] / redraw & play Fanatic. Anurid attacks [R=10] EOT Karakas bounces Alirios

You can stall by chumping with Puppet, but I don't think you can actually get me on the back foot here, because I can also eventually chump with Fanatic again & ping for the last damages before you have enough to swarm around him.

If you stop attacking at a high enough life, then I can't attack back either and I have to use up pings to match your token production (instead of letting you get some tokens and racing them with pings), so we would draw.

WD 4-1?

Edit: If you don't attack with the 3/2 on turn 4, I can double ping on my turn 4 and freely attack with my 3/3, so you can't put me on the back foot that way (and you still have to bounce the 2/3 before it untaps, otherwise you miss a turn on token production)
    Asthereal should have the same issue that FTW had last round. It should actually be WL since he can’t double ping until t4.

GoblinMaxx!master Results for Round "More Goblins!"

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, MOUNTAIN, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger (Mountain replaces a banned card.)
    Goblin ping :( 0-6

2. dte: rakdos carnarium, karakas, Nils, discipline enforcer, Lavabrink Venturer
    Goblin smash! 6-0

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler
    That's me on Goblins!

4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower
    Goblin smash! 6-0

5. alphastryk: Stomping Ground, Llanowar Mentor, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kris Mage
    Mage 3-3

6. PJim: Desert, Keldon Megaliths, Ghitu Encampment, Ice Floe
    Goblin stare 2-2

7. Reeplcheep: Karakas, Azorius Chancery, Mangara of Corondor, Giver of Runes
    Goblin smash! 6-0

8. Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco
    Sculler 3-3

9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged
    Goblin smash! 6-0

10. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler, Sidisi's Faithful
    That's me! 3-3

11. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant
    Chaplain 3-3

12. FTW: Plateau, Tireless Tribe, Blazing Rootwalla, Vengevine
    Too many :( 0-6

Total: 38 points

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    I attack on turn 4, so OTP I attack when you have one creature and cause you to sacrifice both your lands and then your creature on the next attack. OTD you have both creatures in play when I attack, so you can sacrifice both of your lands, then double block and kill Bane of Bala Ged. WD
    You are right that I can block and kill bane, but then I should win with a venturer with protection against odd. WL?
    I will edit.

Ugh, terrible round. This format of several known quantities is brutal for me. I never know what to do. I should have just copied a deck from last round if I wanted points, which I do, but I really don't like copying decks. Even if it's the right meta call, it takes the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    me, shamelessly stealing a deck from last round

I can't beat your Wrath. LL

0-6
    I think you win if you make an army of 1/1s, let yourself get wrathed, then use Kris Mage to discard Ulamog and rebuild. Should be WW for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasst View Post
    I know some choices would probably be controversial (all LD is in, all 1 mana discard spells are in, misstep is in, etc), but at the very least these are some cards which, in my estimation should definitively *not* be banned:

Channel (it's an interesting combo piece, specially in a format without eldrazi titans)
    Dark Depths (The combo is hard enough to pull off, specially without hexmage)
    Elixir of Immortality (there are many, many effects that let you recycle cards)
    Fastbond (better mana acceleration is legal, and as a combo piece is interesting)
    Flash (creatureless format, lmao)
    Force of will (you're 2-for-1ing yourself, it's a real cost to pay for interaction)
    Leyline of Singularity
    Mana Drain (this is barely better than counterspell, which is unplayable, imo)
    Mana Vault (this is mostly a worse dark ritual, dark ritual is legal)
    Time Walk (i think people don't realize how big is this card's fall from regular magic to here)
    It makes sense to ban Time Walk in a Legacy season. But yes, some of those don't matter.

I think turn 1 discard spells are really boring and I'm in favour of banning them all, or at least Thoughtseize, Duress, and Cabal Therapy (Inquisition is more interesting). The problem is that most matchups just become 3-3 in a very uninteresting way. They're also very played-out, and I haven't been here for half as long as some. Misstep is also borderline because at least there's the counterplay of not casting 1 mv spells.

To add to what FTW said, even if Dark Depths is beatable, it's only really beatable by a deck that is dedicated to beating it and it won't do much outside of that. It will win early and boringly. Elixir and Channel at least aren't quite as boring, but they're basically their own rounds. I'm not a fan of them, but I can see the argument.

Me. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant

By my math, I win on the draw at 1 life without playing Chaplain, though I think Chaplain does better anyway. WW
    2. dte: rakdos carnarium, karakas, Nils, Discipline Enforcer, Lavabrink Venturer LL
    Nils is an insane find. I'm not sure I've ever read that card. How long have you been waiting for it? When I played Pried of the Blessed Graf, I only found it an hour or so before submitting it.
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler WL
    4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower WW*
    5. alphastryk: Stomping Ground, Llanowar Mentor, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kris Mage LL
    6. PJim: Desert, Keldon Megaliths, Ghitu Encampment, Ice Floe LL
    7. Reeplcheep: Karakas, Azorius Chancery, Mangara of Corondor, Giver of Runes LL
    8. Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco LL
    I very nearly ran each of these cards, but not together. Silly me.
    9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged LL
    10. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler, Sidisi's Faithful WL
    12. FTW: Plateau, Tireless Tribe, Blazing Rootwalla, Vengevine WL

*Not totally sure, but we trade Chaplain - Borrower hits until I get to 5 counters (W:15, S:11), but then Chaplain keeps getting in. I can't trade Colonnades, so you can attack with your as you get counters but you'll be at 2 charge counters when my Colonnade forces a Borrower block, and I win the next turn. If you play Flayer, I wrath and then win with the giant.

7W for 21 points. I knew this round would be bad, but didn't think it would be quite this bad. Too many weird directions to go, and I couldn't decide if I wanted to fight against Mangara, Lackey, Vengevine, Anurid Scavenger, or general other cards. I went a bit too big and clunky and it did not go well.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Without spoiling any tech that isn't already posted here in previous seasons:

I think Fastbond was banned because of Turbocat: Savannah, Steppe Lynx, Fastbond, Selesnya Sanctuary = T2 kill
    In a creatureless format it's fine. Even with creatures, this is much more easily disrupted than other combo.

Leyline of Singularity was banned because of the Karakas combo, which matters less in creatureless.

Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth makes an uncounterable indestructible instant speed 20/20 flying on turn 3. It's 1 turn slower than Hexmage, but there's still space for 1 disruption slot. Without seeing how the format shakes out yet, that seems very hard to beat.

Elixir of Immortality was broken in other seasons and became a late addition to the banlist. It was banned for its low requirements to recycle compared to other engines (made it a flexible fit for many decks) and because it has a solo-combo of +5 life per turn (which many decks can't beat). In a creatureless format, Elixir seems even more busted.

Channel is also easily abused. Not as bad as T2 Emrakul, but you can still basically win turn 2 OTP.

Force of Will was a meta choice. In other seasons we allowed both Force of Will and T2 combos. Later we banned both Force and T2 combos. I think you can't have one without the other. Force is necessary to police fast combo. For a creatureless bannathon, it seems fine to have both Force and fast combo.

Flash, Mana Drain, Leyline, Fastbond, Mana Vault, and Time Walk all seem fine to unban.
    Honestly, some of these cards are on the banned list because they're banned in Legacy and/or restricted in Vintage and I didn't feel like analysing them extensively.
    My rationale there was: as long as those cards never see play anyway, most people won't miss them.

Leyline of Singularity was indeed banned because of the Karakas combo, but I think we might want to keep it banned, because this format won't be creatureless. It'll be "creature card"-less.
    A lot of decks will still use creatures, but will make them in other ways (tokens and the like).
    I'll keep an eye on suggestions posted here, and propose a banned list to start the season. If enough people like the idea, that is.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

I had not really considered how hard it is to interact with Dark Depths, specially given that we ban most land interaction. Karakas + Leyline will probably still have some relevance, vs, manlands and tokens, but it doesn't seem particularly broken. FoW seems like it's always the good guy, lmao, since it's inherently interactive and card disadvantage, I think that even if we ban fast combo, FoW should stay in.

I'm thinking about the fast mana a little bit more, and

Dark Ritual, Mana Vault, Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors

Seem like they will either be banned or the best cards for the first few rounds. Even force of willing a dark ritualed threat is card neutral, so it shouldn't be as much of an issue. The rest of the fast mana (Mox Opal, Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal) has more of a real cost attached. That being said, I'm not necessarily against the first few rounds being all about fast mana, I'm just saying, it needs to be considered.

I am 100% against banning the strong 3-4 mana threats, specially the 3 mana "discard your opps hand" variants. It's clear to me that if those seem to be an issue, it's because of fast mana. The only exception potentially being Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, not because it's too strong, but rather because it invalidates everything else at that cost or above (why would you play anything else 4+ mana in your storeland deck?)

EDIT: After reading Asthereal's post, I changed my mind on leyline of singularity. Considering the fact that tokens are even more vulnerable to bouncing than normal creatures, leyline+karakas is probably too strong an engine.
    Last edited by Nasst; 02-03-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Sep 2011

Personally I prefer keeping the fast mana. Otherwise it's too difficult to play anything more than 1 drops (or you spend half the bannathon losing to Sea's Claim variants). In a noncreature format, it's even harder to make 1 drop strategies. The fast mana opens up a bigger range of cards and strategies. You can play bigger spells fast, but it takes more cards, so you're weaker to disruption like Force. And yes, they get banned quickly anyway.

But then the "discard hand" cards become a problem. Stuff like City of Traitors, Lotus Petal, Induced Amnesia + threat is goes at least WL (if not better) against non-FoW decks.

Feb 2014

I would prefer to remove fast mana, and one mana discard. Why not one mana LD too?
    In this season, at the beginning I had the feeling to be just waiting for fast mana to get banned.

Maybe we could add one tab on the spreadsheet (I could do that) for everyone to say yes/no to various categories of things to be banned?

I think categories would make more sense than cards, and once we agree on categories we can figure out the cards.
    Possible categories (examples):
    - broken mana (mox, ring, lotus)
    - fast mana (petal, CoT, tomb, LED)
    - 1-mana discard (TS, cabal, etc)
    - full hand discard (induced amnesia)
    - 1 mana LD (spreading seas, raze)
    - T2 combo (channel)

I think the whole point of the no creatures vintage bannathon would be to play through the broken stuff. I would prefer the minimal banlist.

If people want a lower power format so they can do cool stuff, I suggest doing a 5CB pauper bannathon. The four card pauper bannathon was one of my favourites and an extra card allows a lot more interaction

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I think the whole point of the no creatures vintage bannathon would be to play through the broken stuff. I would prefer the minimal banlist.

If people want a lower power format so they can do cool stuff, I suggest doing a 5CB pauper bannathon. The four card pauper bannathon was one of my favourites and an extra card allows a lot more interaction
    I must have missed the Vintage memo, I thought it was Legacy.

Sep 2011

If it's Vintage, no-creatures, and a bannathon, then I support the broken mana and combos. It will be banned quickly and is part of the Vintage spirit. There are also fewer interesting ways to win with noncreature cards, so that should open up more options. Force is also much weaker with Misthollow Griffin out of the format, so it is a real 2-for-1.

I support banning 1-mana discard and 1-mana LD because there are so many and it takes up most of the bannathon to get rid of every single iteration (before other strategies can be unlocked). We've already explored those formats enough.

Fast mana means you can still play turn 1 discard/LD, but it costs more cards. The no-creature aspect means you can't just cram in Nether Spirit or Chronomaton as an easy wincon, so it's not as easy to spend multiple cards on disruption and still win the game. I think that might balance it out. Even if it doesn't, at least it would be different than what we've had before.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I must have missed the Vintage memo, I thought it was Legacy.
    Both are an option. We've done Legacy for this season. Perhaps it's fun to do vintage next season?
    If we go 15 rounds, I think running out of wincons is a bigger threat than having degenerate stuff legal and dominating.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Scores for round 12:
    1. Nasst: 54 - 4,9
    2. dte: 42 - 3,8
    3. FTW: 40 - 3,6
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 38 - 3,5
    4. maxx!: 38 - 3,5
    6. Asthereal (TO): 33 - 3
    6. Reeplcheep: 33 - 3
    8. RoosterCocoa: 31 - 2,8
    9. PJim: 30 - 2,7
    10. silkster: 21 - 1,9
    11. alphastryk: 18 - 1,6
    12. Wrath of Pie: 6 - 0,5

Which leads to these bannings:
    Bayou
    Blazing Rootwalla
    Karakas
    Lavabrink Venturer
    Nils, discipline enforcer
    Plateau
    Rakdos carnarium
    Raugrin Triome
    Scion of Draco
    Tidehollow Sculler
    Tireless Tribe
    Vengevine

And standings for the season now look like this:
    1. PJim: 47,1
    2. dte: 44,5
    3. silkster: 42,5
    4. Asthereal (TO): 37,8
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: 31,1
    5. FTW: 31,1
    7. Reeplcheep: 31
    8. RoosterCocoa: 30,4
    9. maxx!: 29,7
    10. Wrath of Pie: 26,9
    11. alphastryk: 24,7
    12. Nasst: 9,3

So another excellent performance by our new player. Well done! Also, PJim maintains a comfortable lead still, despite dte fighting back a bit.
    Somehow, the fight for 5th place has turned into an absolute nailbiter. Gobbo and FTW are tied, with Reep just 0.1 SP behind.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 13 OF SEASON 11: LEGACY CREATURES & LANDS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 13, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 9th of February at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Quicksand, Dauthi Slayer, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S11R13 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

If it's Vintage, no-creatures, and a bannathon, then I support the broken mana and combos. It will be banned quickly and is part of the Vintage spirit. There are also fewer interesting ways to win with noncreature cards, so that should open up more options. Force is also much weaker with Misthollow Griffin out of the format, so it is a real 2-for-1.

I support banning 1-mana discard and 1-mana LD because there are so many and it takes up most of the bannathon to get rid of every single iteration (before other strategies can be unlocked). We've already explored those formats enough.

Fast mana means you can still play turn 1 discard/LD, but it costs more cards. The no-creature aspect means you can't just cram in Nether Spirit or Chronomaton as an easy wincon, so it's not as easy to spend multiple cards on disruption and still win the game. I think that might balance it out. Even if it doesn't, at least it would be different than what we've had before.
    I strongly agree with everything here (and I'm not surprised to be agreeing with FTW). One round being Cabal Therapy, the next being Duress, and the next being Thoughtseize is a bit boring indeed.

The only new suggestion I have is that we ban all decks above a certain threshold, perhaps all decks >3.0 or ≥3.5. I feel like a card has done its job and seen its glory at that point, and we can move on. I might be in the minority opinion here, but figured I'd check.

Thread Information