Page 253 of 332 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The simplest way to define whether the loop is allowed to be infinite or not is based on the passing of turns.
    If turns keep passing but the game state does not progress by turn n, as n increases to infinity, then the game is a draw. (It's only an infinite loop because infinite turns pass without either player winning)
    If the optional loop is only infinite within a turn (i.e. the game is not allowed to reach turn n), then the loop must terminate if possible.
    That's the distinction between a stalemate and just trying to freeze the game.
    This seems like a good idea. I'll add it to the rule in the first post, assuming most of you are okay with it.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

You can still freeze the game through the turn requirement, for example Chronatog plus Teferi’s protection is basically the same thing as nomad el kor but would be a draw.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    You can still freeze the game through the turn requirement, for example Chronatog plus Teferi’s protection is basically the same thing as nomad el kor but would be a draw.
    If someone pulls that off I want it to be on record that I support them getting that draw.
    That combo is amazing!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    That's different though. That's like casting infinite Time Walks (letting infinite turns pass without opponent able to kill you). Asthereal said that was legal.

Or just playing a card like Energy Field or Island Sanctuary. The game still continues. Opponent just can't breach your prison. In normal Magic these aren't really infinite loops either, because other factors could allow the game to end (decking, time on the clock, or casting other cards drawn from library). Card Blind is unique because there is no clock, no decking, and no other cards to draw, and that's what makes these things loops.

With Nomads en-Kor the game is not continuing. You're trying to stop the turn from ending by taking infinite actions.

Chronatog+Teferi's Protection would be legal in a Legacy tournament. The game would just usually end due to decking, time running out on the clock, or concession.
    Edit: Nevermind, if Chronatog isn't in play and you cast it afterwards then it doesn't phase out and the combo works, although Chronatog is a sitting duck for removal.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-06-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

If you managed to sequence casting Teferi's Protection and then Chronatog after floating the mana, it works. And honestly, if you get to the point where you have and resolve both in order just to force a draw? I'm impressed with the dedication.

Oh man, did I ever misunderstand the round rules. My starting point was Shadow Guildmage because I thought each nonland card had to have 3 different mana costs, but not necessarily as casting costs, and finding 1-drops with that restriction was tough. I did also wonder why it was so similar to next round's rules, and also that both rounds might have a lot of lands-only decks.

Chronatog+Teferi's Protection would be legal in a Legacy tournament. The game would just usually end due to decking, time running out on the clock, or concession.
    It would be funny if you managed this and your opponent had no removal, and then you lost to Platinum Angel or Gideon of the Trials emblem.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed and I'm at just 12 entries.
    Looks like I'm missing entries from Gobbo, FTW, Tylert, jhhdk, and shifty (though that last one may hav edecided this wasn't for them).

I'll give you guys a few more hours while I do some work.

EDIT: While I was typing this, matta sent his deck in.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Deadline has passed and I'm at just 12 entries.
    Looks like I'm missing entries from Gobbo, FTW, Tylert, jhhdk, and shifty (though that last one may hav edecided this wasn't for them).

I'll give you guys a few more hours while I do some work.

EDIT: While I was typing this, matta sent his deck in.
    I Built something in 5 mins... sent.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Just jhhdk to go now. I'll give you a few more hours, but don't wait too long!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I think jhhdk is on holiday. Let's get this round going.

DECKS FOR ROUND 8 OF SEASON 10: Deviant Legacy Bannathon

This round we play Cornucopia: Non-land cards in each deck must in total contain at least 3 different colored mana symbols in their mana costs. Hybrid mana symbols count for 1, and so does phyrexian mana. For modal and/or double-faced cards, both side/modes count.

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Tropical Island, Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Daze
    2. Wrath of Pie: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Myr Superion, Deputy of Detention
    3. Phasmoid: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse
    4. RoosterCocoa: Hickory Woodlot, Twilight Mire, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Fulminator Mage
    5. dte: Gemstone mine, lightning bolt, serene remembrance, Encroach
    6. Reeplcheep: Tundra, Daze, cenn’s tactician, Dismember
    7. PJim: Tundra, Chancellor of the Tangle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Stormscape Apprentice
    8. alphastryk: Gemstone Mine, Old-Growth Dryads, Encroach, Swords to Plowshares
    9. H: Badlands, Inkmoth Nexus, Valentin, Dean of the Vein, Furor of the Bitten
    10. silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence
    11. Serguei: Remote Farm, Interplanar beacon, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    12. maxx!: Scrubland, Cenn’s Tactician, Encroach, Dismember
    13. mattamort: Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Tropical Island, Daze
    14. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord, Licia, Sanguine Tribune
    15. Tylert: Karakas, Student of warfare, Dismember, Noxious revival
    16. FTW: Undiscovered Paradise, Duress, Swords to Plowshares, Stromkirk Noble

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the season which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sep 2011

Interesting meta. I almost played the Dismember + Daze deck but thought it would be too easy for people to play around Daze and went for Duress instead. I thought about Vial a lot too, but it seemed too slow against T2 combos.

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I play Stromkirk. You Dismember it, so I Duress Daze and then StP Baloth to draw. (If you suspend Baloth first, I try to Duress Dismember and you're forced to Daze that otherwise Stromkirk outgrows Baloth, then you Dismember me and I StP you anyway). OTD you suspend Baloth. I Duress, which trades with Daze. Then we kill each others' creatures. DD 2-2
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP Duress takes Vial and I win. OTD you play Vial first, Duress is a blank and I play 1/1 Stromkirk. I have to StP either Superior or Deputy and lose to the other. WL 3-3
    3. Phasmoid: Edit: You make all 3 creatures on Turn 6. I Dismember the Baloth, but then my 5/5-6/6 Stromkirk draws vs your 3/3+3/2. DD 2-2
    4. RoosterCocoa: Edit: Grist somehow dodges both Duress (creature in hand) and Dismember (noncreature in play), so Grist beats me. LL 0-6
    5. dte: Encroach was probably better than Duress. OTP I Duress Serene Remembrance and Bolt kills Stromkirk to draw. OTD you Encroach me and I lose. DL 1-4
    6. Reeplcheep: Same as the Baloth matchup. We remove each others stuff. DD 2-2
    7. PJim: Nice deck! I can't kill Thalia. Both your creatures are Human so you can't block me, but you can tap it down forever and win with Thalia. LL 0-6
    8. alphastryk: OTP I Duress StP, you make Dryads, I StP your guy and mine wins. OTD I lose to Encroach. WL 3-3

9. H: Cool deck. OTP I play Stromkirk. You play Vampire. I StP it, become 2/2, and then race Inkmoth.
    OTD you make Vampire first. I play Stromkirk. If you cast Furor, then I StP you, become 2/2 and race Inkmoth. If you just hold open mana though, then you can trade with Stromkirk (with either Inkmoth or 1/1 Vampire) and we draw after I StP the other. WD 4-1

10. silkster: Luckily my land's delayed return trigger ignores Sea's Claim effects. OTP and OTD I Duress StP, StP your guy, and Stromkirk stares at a 1/1 Insect. DD 2-2
    11. Serguei: Edit: Grist embarrasses my deck being a card that dodges both Duress and Dismember (creature at all the wrong times for me). LL 0-6
    12. maxx!: OTP Duress takes Dismember, StP kills Tactician, and Stromkirk wins. OTD Encroach beats me. WL 3-3
    13. mattamort: Same as Asthereal. DD 2-2
    14. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP I Duress Sorin. OTD I StP your turn 1 fatty. WW 6-0
    15. Tylert: I Duress Dismember and StP Student. You can't save Student, so you Noxious Revival to get back Dismember and draw. DD 2-2

32 points (6 wins, 14 draws, 10 loss)

Too many draws. Always the problem with 2 answer + 1 threat decks. I forgot about Swarm Shambler. My deck would have been much better with that over Stromkirk.
    Last edited by FTW; 07-12-2021 at 11:17 AM.

11. Serguei: Pretty sure this ends up as a draw either way, but I'll revisit later. DD 2-2
    I am not so sure grist is a creature in my hand ;) and even if not you will not be able to manage kaya

My deck: Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Tropical Island, Daze

I did not like it much but was unable to be convince by anything. I thought push would be mored played. I had for a long time Swarm in the Baloth slot and switch at last minute for this reason + looks to be better with daze I expected. But it was not in practice and I should have kept it. Leaving a body behind was huge against a lot of decks. I had encroach deck, but I always forget 3-3 is better than 2-2 thats why I didnt submit.

-> DD, no way to break symetry
    2 Pts
    2. Wrath of Pie: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Myr Superion, Deputy of Detention
    -> WL, OTP Vial get countered, OTD Superion escape
    5 Pts
    3. Phasmoid: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse
    -> LL
    Daze is bad here
    5Pts
    4. RoosterCocoa: Hickory Woodlot, Twilight Mire, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Fulminator Mage
    -> LL
    Daze is bad here
    5Pts
    -> WL OTD, I can not deal with encroach, OTP you can not deal with baloth
    8 Pts
    -> DD
    10 Pts
    7. PJim: Tundra, Chancellor of the Tangle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Stormscape Apprentice
    -> WL
    13 Pts
    -> WL
    16 Pts
    -> WW
    22 Pts
    10. silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence
    -> WW
    I kill Shambler the turn it is played and counter STP on baloth 5/5 > 1/1
    28 Pts
    11. Serguei: Remote Farm, Interplanar beacon, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    Grist is countered, Kaya is too slow vs Baloth
    -> WW
    34 Pts
    -> WL
    37 Pts
    14. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord, Licia, Sanguine Tribune
    -> WL
    Side Note : I loved this deck, but found it too vulnerable to STP but it pays off with this meta :D
    40 Pts
    -> DD
    42 Pts
    -> DD
    44 Pts

12W 8D 10L

Not great but could be worse as well

3. Phasmoid: If I understand your deck right, on turn 5 you get both Sand Mage and Baloth (or Corpse) and the other comes in much later on turn 8. Or you can get turn 5 Sand Mage -> turn 6 Baloth/Corpse -> turn 7 Corpse/Baloth.
    I can alternatively wait till T2 to suspend Sand Mage, so that I get all 3 of my creatures on T6.
    I believe that is enough for DD 2-2 against you.

(I will probably make my results-post tomorrow: I don't have time right now.)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    My deck: Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Tropical Island, Daze

I did not like it much but was unable to be convince by anything. I thought push would be mored played. I had for a long time Swarm in the Baloth slot and switch at last minute for this reason + looks to be better with daze I expected. But it was not in practice and I should have kept it. Leaving a body behind was huge against a lot of decks. I had encroach deck, but I always forget 3-3 is better than 2-2 thats why I didnt submit.

-> DD, no way to break symetry
    2 Pts
    -> WL, OTP Vial get countered, OTD Superion escape
    5 Pts
    -> LL
    Daze is bad here
    5Pts
    -> LL
    Daze is bad here
    5Pts
    -> WL OTD, I can not deal with encroach, OTP you can not deal with baloth
    8 Pts
    -> DD
    10 Pts
    -> WL
    13 Pts
    -> WL
    16 Pts
    -> WW
    22 Pts
    -> WW
    I kill Shambler the turn it is played and counter STP on baloth 5/5 > 1/1
    28 Pts
    Grist is countered, Kaya is too slow vs Baloth
    -> WW
    34 Pts
    -> WL
    37 Pts
    -> WL
    Side Note : I loved this deck, but found it too vulnerable to STP but it pays off with this meta :D
    40 Pts
    -> DD
    42 Pts
    -> DD
    44 Pts

12W 8D 10L

Not great but could be worse as well
    I believe I shall score similarly to this man of culture.

It won't change anything to my result but I believe that Valentin is only black anywhere. So I am not sure it is match rule of the round

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I couldn't find any better plan than Encroach, even though its not so great on the draw. The fact that everyone essentially must play nonbasic to accommodate the round rule, and likely need all their lands to cast their spells made it really appealing. Did not put nearly as much thought into my other card choices though, did not spend a ton of time there, just picked a 3/3 and a removal spell. In retrospect, something like Isolate would have been a better removal spell for basically anything that gets under / around Encroach.

OTP Encroach wins it, OTD I can't beat Daze & Dismember. WL

3-3

Encroach is a blank, and I can't race. Isolate would have been great here. LL

0-6

OTP Encroach wins it, and OTD I can still Encroach and then StP whichever threat you suspended when it arrives. WW

6-0

Encroach always prevents you from getting to 3 mana. WW

6-0

Encroach is the only card that matters, so whoever is OTP wins. WL

3-3

3-3

OTP Encroach wins it, OTD I can't beat Thalia + Apprentice. WL

3-3

This is me

OTP Encroach on Badlands wins it. OTD, I should always be able to Encroach Inkmoth and StP Valentin. WW

6-0

Swarm Shambler is a much better threat than my Dryads, forgot that existed. OTP Encroach does the trick, OTD Evil Presence does me in. WL

3-3

Encroach always keeps you off of 3 mana. WW

6-0

Whoever is OTP wins with Encroach. WL

3-3

3-3

StP should always beat your giant Vampire. WW

6-0

Noxious Revival is pretty good tech in the Encroach meta. StP always beats Student, but Dismember always beats Dryads, so we stare. DD

2-2

OTP Encroach wins it, OTD you can Duress StP, and your StP beats my Dryads. WL

3-3

Total: 56 points.

Turns out, with all the suspend threats that Swords to Plowshares was much better than Isolate after all.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Serguei View Post
    It won't change anything to my result but I believe that Valentin is only black anywhere. So I am not sure it is match rule of the round
    Well, you are right, it is only Black, but the round rules specifically state:

For modal and/or double-faced cards, both side/modes count.
    And we care about mana costs for the round, not the card's color(s).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Again I choose the wrong deck and moreover the wrong version of my deck :)

I should definitively have gone with teferi, time raveler instead of kaya

I have also a pretty fasty deck but I do not know why I did not choose him
    Badlands +Vengevine +putrid imp + red rootwala

LL lose to daze

Kaya removes vial before you can put in play anything
    WW 6 pts ->6 pts

Kaya does noting here so everything is on Grists shoulders
    OTP t2 grist 1Tand I will up like this several turns
    T5 it will be Grist with 7 loy and 4 tokens
    If you have chosen for t1 shivan and t2 baloth
    2 tokens will eat your shivan and another one will block balot
    On my t6 I will down grist to5 loyalty counter and kill your baloth. Then grist will win pretty easily over Corpse

If you have chosen the slow play to have all 3 creatures in t6. Grist will be at 8 of loyalty and I will have 5 tokens.
    3 will block and kill corpse. 2 will block Shivan and kill it. Baloth will down grist to 3 loyalty counters. After I will up grist and block until grist goes high enough to take damage and kills your baloth.

And OTD I will be too slow sadly.
    WL 3 pts -> 9 pts

The first who plays grist wins
    WL 3 pts -> 12pts

LL

Daze will manage 1 PW the oteh will kill you
    WW 6 pts - > 18 pts

LL

LL

WW 6 pts -> 24 pts

LL

LL

LL

Grist tokens will be able to block forever Licia
    DD 2pts -> 26 pts

WW 6 pts -> 32 pts

WW 6 pts -> 38 pts

1. Asthereal (TO): Tropical Island, Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Daze WL
    3. Phasmoid: Mana Confluence, Shivan Sand-Mage, Durkwood Baloth, Corpulent Corpse WW
    4. RoosterCocoa: Hickory Woodlot, Twilight Mire, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Fulminator Mage WW - I was expecting a lot of land hate, so Vial looked good in the face of that.
    5. dte: Gemstone mine, lightning bolt, serene remembrance, Encroach WW
    6. Reeplcheep: Tundra, Daze, cenn’s tactician, Dismember WL
    7. PJim: Tundra, Chancellor of the Tangle, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Stormscape Apprentice WL
    8. alphastryk: Gemstone Mine, Old-Growth Dryads, Encroach, Swords to Plowshares WW
    9. H: Badlands, Inkmoth Nexus, Valentin, Dean of the Vein, Furor of the Bitten WW
    10. silkster: Undiscovered Paradise, Swords to Plowshares, Swarm Shambler, Evil Presence WW
    11. Serguei: Remote Farm, Interplanar beacon, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Kaya, Orzhov Usurper LL - Kaya is solid tech.
    12. maxx!: Scrubland, Cenn’s Tactician, Encroach, Dismember WW
    13. mattamort: Durkwood Baloth, Dismember, Tropical Island, Daze WL
    14. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord, Licia, Sanguine Tribune WL
    15. Tylert: Karakas, Student of warfare, Dismember, Noxious revival WW - I can't believe you missed an opportunity to play Aether Vial.
    16. FTW: Undiscovered Paradise, Duress, Swords to Plowshares, Stromkirk Noble WL

22w = 66 points

I saw the one-drop plan, but I couldn't miss a chance to play Vial when it had a chance to be good. (Banned pitch discard spells helped make the decision easier.)

Thread Information