Page 287 of 332 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,740 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    2. dte: Endurance, Hickory woodlot, Urza's saga, Ramunap excavator
    Me, stealing FTW's deck but putting Endurance in.
    Well done! I was considering this, as well as another Endurance + Woodlot deck (good recursion tech I was hoping to keep under wraps until the format slowed down), but I thought it would lose to too many fast things. You timed it well in a meta without fast decks!

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    GSM can hold Stomp to prevent Nexus from winning, and drop Squee as an attacker. I think 0-6.
    Good point. T7 Squee will still race 1/1 Mesmeric Fiend and then untap with Stomp mana. I was thinking of the full deck, where Fanatical Firebrand adds an extra clock and can slow down Squee.

If Fiend takes Giant instead, I guess Evoke Fury gets back Giant, then GSM can still hold up Stomp and cast Squee.
    If Fiend takes Squee, GSM can hold up Stomp and eventually hardcast T9 Fury.
    LL 0-6

maxx!: Inkmoth Nexus, Molten Slagheap, Bonecrusher Giant, Murderous Rider

I forgot to send something so I hastily stole Asthereal's deck from last week.

1. Asthereal (TO): Sandstone Needle, Swamp, Fulminator Mage, Rotting Regisaur
    Fulminator takes out my storage land before I can cast anything. 0-6

No chance here. I can't Stomp either of your creatures, and you can make endless Constructs. Reach means Inkmoth can't try to race. 0-6

3. PJim: Creeping Tar Pit, Dreadship Reef, Tide Shaper, Murderous Rider
    Tide Shaper disables my storage land, and I'm sure you can get an attack or two with Rider to swing the race in your favor before I kill you with Inkmoth. 0-6

4. Reeplcheep: Grist, The Hunger Tide, Arboreal Grazer, Lair of the Hydra, Golgari Rot Farm
    OTP
    T1 Slagheap / Grazer
    T2 1 counter / Grist (+1, 1 token)
    T3 2 counters / +1, 2 tokens, attack for 2 (18)
    T4 Swift End Grist (16) / Attack for 3 (13)
    T5 1 counter / Attack for 3 (10)
    T6 2 counters / Attack for 3 (7)
    T7 Rider, sit back with Lifelink, win with Inkmoth
    OTD
    T1 Grazer / Slagheap
    T2 Grist, 1 token / 1 counter
    T3 +1, 2 tokens, attack me for 2 (18) / 2 counters
    T4 +1, 3 tokens, attack me for 3 (15) / Swift End Grist (12)
    T5 Attack for 4 (8) / 1 counter
    T6 Attack for 4 (4) / 2 counters
    T7 Attack for 4 (Dead)
    3-3

5. Wrath of Pie: Cathedral of War, Inkmoth Nexus, Mana Confluence, Granger Guildmage
    Granger can't handle my creatures, and I can hold either adventure up for your Inkmoth while building counters to cast the other (then cast it as a creature). 6-0

6. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Mayor of Avabruck, Golgari Guildmage, Grief
    Your math looks right to me. I'm a turn too late to stabilize with Rider when OTD, which means OTP I should win. 3-3

7. RoosterCocoa: Undiscovered Paradise, Old-Growth Dryads, Fanatical Firebrand, Law-Rune Enforcer
    Dryads are fast, but my deck has inevitability if I can survive long enough.
    OTP
    T1 Slagheap / Dryads
    T2 1 counter / Firebrand, attack for 4 (16)
    T2 2 counters / LRE, attack for 4 (12)
    T3 Swift End Dryads (10) / Attack for 2 (8)
    T4 1 counter / Attack for 2 (6)
    T5 2 counters / Attack for 2 (4)
    T6 Rider / Pass
    T7 1 counter, LRE taps Rider / Attack with Firebrand (3)
    T8 Stomp LRE, taps Rider in response / Attack with Firebrand (2)
    T9 Attack with Rider, Lifelink means you can't win
    OTD
    T1 Dryads / Slagheap
    T2 Firebrand, attack for 4 (16) / 1 counter
    T3 LRE, attack for 4 (12) / 2 counters
    T4 Attack for 5 (7) / Swift End Dryads (5)
    T5 Attack for 2 (3) / 1 counter
    T6 Attack for 2 (1) / Stomp
    T7 Attack for 1 (Dead)
    3-3

8. GoblinSmashmaster: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Bonecrusher Giant
    This one is complicated, tentatively taking FTW's analysis at face value, but not certain so I'll try to run through this myself later. 6-0

9. FTW: SWAMP, Inkmoth Nexus, Fanatical Firebrand, Mesmeric Fiend
    Sucks about the Badlands. Fiend can't protect itself from 2 removal adventures, and I can hold removal for Inkmoth while I build counters to cast a threat. 6-0

10. alphastryk: Icatian Store, Dust Bowl, Rogue's Passage, Windborn Muse
    I can't hide my storage land from Dust Bowl, and Muse eventually kills me. 0-6

11. maxx!: Inkmoth Nexus, Molten Slagheap, Bonecrusher Giant, Murderous Rider
    This is me :]

0+0+0+3+6+3+3+6+6+0 = 27

Not great, but not bad for a last minute submission. Maybe I'll climb out of last place before the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I definitely thought this would be a slower round but there's too much fast land hate still. I struggled with my 3rd land for a while (had a second Dust Bowl at first) and ended up on Rogue's Passage to sneak Muse past a blocker but should have been less cute and gone for a token producer or a manland to have a second threat. Or even just a second storage land!
    I have an irrational love for Urza's Factory (spoiler alert: I will probably submit it at some point), but definitely second storage land is best.

5. Wrath of Pie: Cathedral of War, Inkmoth Nexus, Mana Confluence, Granger Guildmage
    I'm able to Dust Bowl on my turn 4, killing Inkmoth. After that, its a race between Granger Guildmage and Muse, but Conflucence kills you along the way as you pay the Must tax. WW

6-0
    I think it's actually better for you to destroy Cathedral of War first, because without it my clock is pathetic, and you can cast Windborn Muse and easily win from there. (Even if you somehow can't for some reason, you can Dust Bowl Mana Confluence to ensure so.)

Feb 2014

@Maxx!, vs RoosterCocoa you probably can steal a draw by playing for it, eg. stomping T2, and activating nexus to trade with firebrand. If you stomp LRE you can save 2 life by casting giant instead of swift end too.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

@Maxx!, vs RoosterCocoa you probably can steal a draw by playing for it, eg. stomping T2, and activating nexus to trade with firebrand. If you stomp LRE you can save 2 life by casting giant instead of swift end too.
    Unfortunately, maxx!'s version can't Stomp on turn 2. He'll need to tick up the storage land first, as he otherwise doesn't have coloured mana.
    This is the reason I went for Ghitu Encampment last round, even though it's a lot worse as a man-land. I felt I needed the turn 2 Stomp too much to get rid of Welders OTP and so on.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

7. RoosterCocoa: Undiscovered Paradise, Old-Growth Dryads, Fanatical Firebrand, Law-Rune Enforcer

1. Asthereal (TO): Sandstone Needle, Swamp, Fulminator Mage, Rotting Regisaur
    I can get you to 1 OTP, but you are too fast. LL

You make too many tokens. LL

3. PJim: Creeping Tar Pit, Dreadship Reef, Tide Shaper, Murderous Rider
    You can cast Swift End soon enough to stop me. LL

4. Reeplcheep: Grist, The Hunger Tide, Arboreal Grazer, Lair of the Hydra, Golgari Rot Farm
    Grist is too much for me to beat. LL

OTP I play Dryads, then you play Inkmoth. I play Firebrand but only attack with Dryads, bringing you to 17. You can't play Cathedral and attack me with Inkmoth because I will kill it in response to the exalted trigger, so you play Guildmage bringing you to 16, which I then kill with Firebrand. I play Law-Rune Enforcer and attack you to 13, you play Cathedral and attack me to 2 poison. I attack you to 9, you attack me to 4 poison. I attack you to 5, you attack me to 6 poison. I attack you to 1, you attack me to 8 poison, then I win. OTD I am too slow. WL

6. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Mayor of Avabruck, Golgari Guildmage, Grief
    OTP I play Firebrand and Golgari Guildmage can't beat Dryads. OTD you take Firebrand with Grief and I can't beat Mayor. WL

8. GoblinSmashmaster: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Squee, the Immortal, Bonecrusher Giant
    Fury beats Dryads and I am too slow otherwise. LL

9. FTW: SWAMP, Inkmoth Nexus, Fanatical Firebrand, Mesmeric Fiend
    Dryads beats your creatures. WW

10. alphastryk: Icatian Store, Dust Bowl, Rogue's Passage, Windborn Muse
    Muse comes down soon enough that I can never attack, and you eventually Dust Bowl my land so I can't tap Muse forever. LL

11. maxx!: Inkmoth Nexus, Molten Slagheap, Bonecrusher Giant, Murderous Rider
    OTD I am too slow. OTP I play Dryads, you play Slagheap. I play Firebrand and attack you to 16, you put a counter on Slagheap. I play Law-Rune Enforcer and attack you to 12, on your turn you Stomp Law-Rune Enforcer. I attack you to 8, you put a second counter on Slagheap. I attack you to 4, you play Bonecrusher Giant. If I attack with both creatures, you block Firebrand and go to 1, then stall and win with Inkmoth. If I only attack with Dryads, you trade your Giant for it and get enough time to play Murderous Rider and win with the lifelink. If I don't attack you Swift End my Dryads and eventually win with Murderous Rider's lifelink. LL

4W 0D 16L = 12

I misread what people would play this week that I got the same score as FTW with an unplayable creature.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    4W 0D 16L = 12

I misread what people would play this week that I got the same score as FTW with an unplayable creature.
    I think we both built for a similar metagame that didn't happen (and Dryads is good tech there). The decks I was building to beat would have stomped this round, but saw no play. We're on the wrong end of Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Disappointed to see Saga get banned. I was hoping to bring that back later.

7 disputes, though none that look like they can affect bannings:

dte 1 - 6 Reeplcheep
    1-4. OTP, I play EoT endurance:
    hicko/arbo
    saga, pass/grist, token G4 T1, EoT endurance
    play ramunap, hickory, attack grist G4 T0/Grist sac the grazer to kill ramunap G2 T0
    saga token, attack grist, animate lair to defend it/token G3 T1
    From now on, I attack every turn, the token blocks endurance, the saga token reduces grist loyalty to 2 every turn.
    Looks right. Killing Endurance instead of Ramunap is worse, no other obvious tries for improvement.

dte 1 - 4 Reeplcheep

PJim 6 - 6 GoblinSmashmaster

GSM OTP:
    Bazaar | Tar Pit
    B1 | Reef, Shaper // Fury is obviously now necessary to not lose.
    Fury, B2 | R1 // If GSM does nothing from here, we make lots of storage counters, and I'll eventually drop Rider. More counters benefits me for replaying Rider purposes, so we'll assume he acts ASAP.
    B3 | R2
    Squee | Rider // If GSM played Giant instead, I'd murder it, which is clearly winning. Rider can win through Squee, so forces Giant down.
    B1, B2, B3, Giant (over 4 turns) | R1, R2, R3, R4 // Now Giant can't Stomp, if Giant stays back Tar Pit will win eventually. If Giant attacks, Rider blocks, then Murders next turn.

The only alternative I can see is that GSM could block Rider with Squee, and then Stomp. But I still recur rider, and if he attempts this I can make plenty of storage counters before attacking, so I can replay Rider immediately and still have Murder mana up.

PJim 6 - 0 GoblinSmashmaster

Reeplcheep 6 - 6 Wrath of Pie

EDIT: Missed Grazer's Reach. Every line I've tried goes 6-0 to Reep.

Reeplcheep 6 - 0 Wrath of Pie

Reeplcheep 3 - 0 RoosterCocoa

RoosterCocoa OTP:
    Dryads | Grazer, Rot Farm
    Firebrand (20-17) | Lair, Grist G4 T1
    Enforcer, T0 | G5 T1
    //If RC attacks with all 3 creatures, Fanatic is traded for a token, Enforcer is blocked by Grazer, and Dryad knocks Grist to 1, but from there Grist can grow arbitrarily high loyalty and win. If only Dryad attacks, Grist gets to grow arbitrarily large anyway. Attacking with Dryad and Enforcer doesn't help, as Enforcer is traded for token + Hydra, leaving much the same situation. Tapping the token and attacking with one or both just leads to Hydra being used as a blocker and the same result.

Reeplcheep 6 - 0 RoosterCocoa

Reeplcheep 0 - 3 maxx!

Reep OTP:
    Grazer, Rot Farm | Nexus
    Lair, Grist G4 T1 | Slagheap S1
    G5 T2 (20-18) | S2
    G6 T3 (20-15) | Swift end (20-13)
    (20-9) | S1
    (20-5) | S2
    (20-1) | Rider
    (20-0)

maxx going means one less token and a faster Rider.

Reeplcheep 3 - 3 maxx!

Wrath of Pie 3 - 6 alphastryk

alpha can indeed dust Nexus on turn 4, which is faster than Nexus can win.

Wrath of Pie 0 - 6 alphastryk

RoosterCocoa 0 - 3 maxx!

I think maxx's line is correct. Rooster is giving maxx a free Red mana for Stomp, which probably makes the difference.

RoosterCocoa 3 - 3 maxx!
    Last edited by PJim; 12-19-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Agree on:
    dte 1 - 4 Reeplcheep (I'm very surprised that there's a draw with Grist in play.)
    PJim 6 - 0 GoblinSmashmaster
    Reeplcheep 6 - 0 RoosterCocoa
    Reeplcheep 3 - 3 maxx! (I forgot about the Hydra, then I thought Hydra would be 2/2, but now I agree.)
    RoosterCocoa 3 - 3 maxx!

Reeplcheep 6 - 6 Wrath of Pie

This is a tricky one:

Reep OTP:
    Grazer, Rot Farm | Confluence, Guildmage
    Grist G4 T1 | Nexus (20-18) T0
    G5 T1 (20-17) | Cathedral G3
    G4 T2 (20-15) | G2, (20-13) T1
    G3 T2 (20-11) | G1 (20-9) T1
    G2 T2 (20-7) | G0 (20-5) T1
    (20-3) | 2 Poison // With 2 1/1s, if Reep attacks Guildmage blocks and pings, taking out both, and leaving WoP clinging for life, but winning.

The only point in here when it's possible to shoot Guildmage without Grist immediately dying and leaving a losing race is immediately, which doesn't work:

Grazer, Rot Farm | Confluence, Guildmage
    Grist G1, sac Grazer, kill Guildmage| Nexus
    G2 T1 | Cathedral G0 // Easy win for WoP from here.

I think this is right, but another pair of eyes on this one would be good.

Reeplcheep 0 - 6 Wrath of Pie
    I'm not 100% sure what your notation means, but in the line G5 T1 (20-17) | Cathedral G3, you might be missing that Arboreal Grazer has reach and can block Nexus twice.

Wrath of Pie 3 - 6 alphastryk

alpha can indeed dust Nexus on turn 4, which is faster than Nexus can win.

Wrath of Pie 0 - 6 alphastryk
    This is probably right, but there's some concern about Wrath attacking with a 2/2 Guildmage and perhaps pinging near the end. Alphastryk can play for Windborn muse first in that case, since it stops Guildmage attacks. I think Alphastryk has some other lines, but I think they're all worse.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what your notation means, but in the line G5 T1 (20-17) | Cathedral G3, you might be missing that Arboreal Grazer has reach and can block Nexus twice.
    Yeah, I missed Grazer's reach, and my analysis has some crucial missing Confluence activations anyway.

I've looked at a bunch of lines, and Reep appears to win 6-0. WoP has a ton of options, but playing with or without Guildmage, and attacking Grist or the face with Nexus both seem to be losing. I'm not sharing the lines, as I realised after the fact I forgot about Reep's Hydra, and they shouldn't have been as close as I thought.

This is probably right, but there's some concern about Wrath attacking with a 2/2 Guildmage and perhaps pinging near the end. Alphastryk can play for Windborn muse first in that case, since it stops Guildmage attacks. I think Alphastryk has some other lines, but I think they're all worse.
    Windborn Muse can land just as fast as a land destruction, and prevents either attacker, Nexus can't activate and pay 2. This'll give plenty of time to make land destruction mana. I'm pretty sure the Dust Bowl line would win against any strategy, but this one definitely does.

updated my scores with the lines above

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

No confirmation yet on some of the analyses above, and one seems to be unresolved. So standings for the round aren't clear just yet.
    But thankfully the disagreements don't influence the top results, which allows me to lock in the bannings.

Two players tied for third, which gets an extra deck banned. These are out:
    Creeping Tar Pit
    Dreadship Reef
    Endurance
    Fulminator Mage
    Golgari Guildmage
    Grief
    Hickory Woodlot
    Mayor of Avabruck
    Murderous Rider
    Ramunap Excavator
    Rotting Regisaur
    Sandstone Needle
    Tide Shaper
    Urza's Saga

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Announcements:
    One more round before christmas. Next week I'll take a week off, so expect the deadline for round 8 to be on January 5th.
    This should allow everybody ample time to calculate scores for the upcoming round, while still enjoying some time with family.

Also, just one player seemed to maybe be against the idea to extend this season to 15 rounds, and 7 were in favour.
    Seems safe to add the three rounds, so I'll be doing that soon.

Meantime...

ROUND 7 OF SEASON 11: LEGACY CREATURES & LANDS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 7, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 22nd of December at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Quicksand, Daughti Slayer, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S11R07 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I go for Dust Bowl ASAP (my turn 4), but you can play Squee first on your turn 4 when you are OTP. Once I play Muse you can pitch Fury to kill it. DL

1-4
    Not actually a disagreement, but I make this 2-2. Squee can't be cast until turn 5, so Bazaar gets dusted first on play and draw.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Not actually a disagreement, but I make this 2-2. Squee can't be cast until turn 5, so Bazaar gets dusted first on play and draw.
    Good catch - we both agreed on the result but it doesn't add up, should be 2-2

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're complete at the deadline, so let's go!

DECKS FOR ROUND 7 OF SEASON 11: Legacy Creatures & Lands Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge
    2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant
    3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse
    4. PJim: Mercadian Bazaar, Fury, Boldwyr Heavyweights, Bogardan Hellkite
    5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre
    6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    8. FTW: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend
    9. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler
    10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter
    11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

PS. There will be no 4CB between Christmas and New Year's Eve, so everybody has time to visit family but still be able to calculate scores and consider options for next round.

Feb 2014

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge
    6-0. I had many iterations of chancellor & Fury, without finding one that I liked. Here I have a faster body that resist Fury and I can prevent Chancellor from landing.

2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant
    Me. Going fine but deeply misreading the meta. Took a Fury-proof, port-proof threat that turned out well. Completed it with a land that did not see much utility and the classic storeland & bonecrusher giant, which were not crazily great either.

3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse
    0-6. This definitely beats me. The 2x muse vs Fury.deck is a great idea.

6-0 I think. you play heavyweight by T6, I play Yidaro T5, and they trade after Yidaro does 8-16 damage to you. Then you have to Evoke Fury not to die by the giant, and my token takes it from there.

5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre
    3-3. 1 mana T3, 3 T4, 6 T5, 9 T6, 12 T7. I can only LD by T8. OTP, Yidaro T5 kills you before Ulamog lands. OTD you would end up at 2 life with a stomp.

6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice
    6-0. Stomp apprentice, I can cast Yidaro with instant speed mana.

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk
    3-3. Weld or stomp. Interesting threat, should help vs muse, and anyway relying on welder you dont care about weakness to fury.

6-0. If you take Yidaro, I stomp fiend. So you take giant, and got trampled by Yidaro

9. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler
    3-3. Gob or stomp.

10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter
    0-6. Beautiful the Vedalken plotter! It definitely does the job against me.

11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth
    6-0. I cast Yidaro without caring for port.

And a happy Christmas and nice holidays for all!

Hellkite looks like a very dubious choice. It was fantastic vs many Rishadan Port decks that were the bane of many Storage and Depletion land decks in my pool, but those have largely failed to turn up.

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Mercadian Bazaar, Bonecrusher Giant, Fury, Chancellor of the Forge / 6-0, I think Heavyweights is too much for you.
    2. dte: Yidaro, Wandering Monster, Gnottvold Slumbermound, Fungal Reaches, Bonecrusher Giant / 0-6, I won't have time to hardcast Fury.
    3. alphastryk: Remote Farm, Remote Farm, Windborn Muse, Windborn Muse / 6-0, Loads of time for Hellkite.
    5. Reeplcheep: Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Icatian Store, Ulamog, the infinite gyre / 0-6
    6. Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Tidal Warrior, Durkwood Baloth, Stormscape Apprentice / 0-6
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Great Furnace, Goblin Welder, Insolent Neonate, Noxious Gearhulk / 6-0, Fury
    8. FTW: Chancellor of the Forge, Fury, Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend / 6-0, Fury and/or an 8/8
    9. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler / 6-0, Fury
    10. silkster: Saprazzan Skerry, Undiscovered Paradise, Plague Reaver, Vedalken Plotter / 0-6, Very nice.
    11. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Rishadan Port, Durkwood Baloth, Durkwood Baloth / 0-6, the one Port deck that shows up is too fast for Hellkite anyway.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And I hadn't given you guys the standings for last round yet. Here they are:
    1. PJim: 54 - 5,4
    2. dte: 46 - 4,6
    3. Asthereal (TO): 42 - 4,2
    3. silkster: 42 - 4,2
    5. Reeplcheep: 31 - 3,1
    6. maxx!: 27 - 2,7
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: 26 - 2,6
    8. alphastryk: 20 - 2
    9. RoosterCocoa: 15 - 1,5
    10. Wrath of Pie: 12 - 1,2
    10. FTW: 12 - 1,2

Which leads to these standings for the season after round 6:
    1. PJim: 25,9
    2. dte: 22,8
    3. silkster: 21,4
    4. Asthereal (TO): 18,3
    5. Reeplcheep: 15,9
    6. RoosterCocoa: 15,5
    7. FTW: 14,5
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 14,1
    9. alphastryk: 13,8
    10. Wrath of Pie: 13,5
    11. maxx!: 12,3

So PJim continues to dominate, though dte is fighting hard to keep up. silk completes the top-3, and in fourth place I find myself in a bit of nomansland.
    The rest of the pack remains within a few points of eachother, and the red lantern is still being carried by maxx!, who is trying to compensate for missing a round.

Also, the season is now officially 15 rounds long, instead of the originally planned 12.

Sep 2011

I can pay for Fiend either using the 1/1 Goblin (save Fury for later) or using evoke Fury (get 2 1/1s), but maybe the storage land version is just better. I also had Asthereal's deck.

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP we both get a 1/1 on first upkeep. If I do nothing and hold back Fury, you can ramp to 20 mana and drop Chancellor and I lose. So I T1 Fury your token and sacrifice to make Mesmeric Fiend. If I exile Fury, you have T4 Stomp killing Fiend and then cast a creature before my 1/1 token gets there. If I exile anything else, I get you down to 7 life before you play T7 Fury killing my board. LL 0-6
    2. dte: I can T1 evoke Fury & sac with Fiend taking Giant, but my 2 1/1s aren't fast enough before T5 Yidaro comes down. LL 0-6
    3. alphastryk: I sacrifice the token to make Fiend exiling 1 Muse. When you play the 2nd, I Fury it. WW 6-0
    4. PJim: If my T1 Fiend takes Heavyweights, your T7 Fury stabilizes at 7 life. If I take Fury, the T6 8/8 (9 life) races me. LL 0-6
    5. Reeplcheep: T1 Fiend exiles Ulamog. WW 6-0
    6. Wrath of Pie: OTP I attack with hasty token [W=19], then sacrifice to make Fiend exiling Baloth. If you play Stormscape, I Fury it, so you just play Tidal Warrior. That holds off my Fiend, but you can't race because I got the first damage in, so we draw. OTD you suspend Baloth first and I have no way to beat it. DL 1-4
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP my 1/1 token beats down. If you play either 1/1, I Fury it + sacrifice to Fiend the other. OTD same thing. WW 6-0
    9. maxx!: My 1/1 beats down. If you play Lackey first, I Fury + sacrifice to Fiend to exile Sidisi. If you Sidisi & exploit itself to kill my token, I Fury nothing + sacrifice to Fiend your Lackey. WW 6-0
    10. silkster: T1 sac token -> Fiend exiling Plague Reaver wins this. If you play Plotter, Fury kills it. WW 6-0
    11. RoosterCocoa: T1 Fiend can always exile 1 Baloth, but you get to suspend the other and resolve on turn 6. OTP I've dealt you 11 damage before Baloth resolves. I can only get you down to 3 life before Baloth wins. LL 0-6

31 pts (10 wins, 1 draw)

The deck I had wanted to play was Phyrexian Tower, Mesmeric Fiend, Grief, black creature (T1 double discard + 1/1, or T1 discard + creature). Should have played it last round, but Grief got banned quickly, so I tried a variation of it with Fury. Unfortunately it doesn't always get value out of Fury, but it does beat combo and play around LD. I expected those and underestimated how many slow storage land decks would show up.

Thread Information