Page 102 of 332 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    ROUND 3 of SEASON 6: DEVIANT LEGACY has started.

This round we will play Tribal
    Each deck needs to have at least two creature cards of the same creature type.
    No additional bannings.
    Do the two creature cards of the same type have to be different creatures?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Do the two creature cards of the same type have to be different creatures?
    Technically right now: no. But that was the spirit of the idea.
    Should I change the wording in the posts?

I'm not sure whether it matters, because all decks I came up with had two different creatures anyway.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Technically right now: no. But that was the spirit of the idea.
    Should I change the wording in the posts?

I'm not sure whether it matters, because all decks I came up with had two different creatures anyway.
    Some of my first drafts were two of the same creature + utility spell. so yes, it could matter.
    That was just a question, I just want to know the exact rule. Both limitations are ok for me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Some of my first drafts were two of the same creature + utility spell. so yes, it could matter.
    That was just a question, I just want to know the exact rule. Both limitations are ok for me.
    Alright, let's leave it as is then.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Alright, let's leave it as is then.
    As is meaning it can be 2 copies of the same creature?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    As is meaning it can be 2 copies of the same creature?
    Yup, if you really want, you can plat two copies of Llanowar Elves and that complies to the rule.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Yup, if you really want, you can plat two copies of Llanowar Elves and that complies to the rule.
    + Nissa, voice of zendikar!!

Top 1 deck!

(Yes I really thought about this deck).

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

About 24 hours until the deadline, and we're at 5 entries. Don't miss out!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Wow, I have everybody's deck at the deadline. Awesome!

Welcome to our newest player, silkster!
    Immediately picking up on the theme by sending in a double-tribal deck.
    Very nice. No extra points, unfortunately, but greatly appreciated anyway.
    I hope you do well!

Also welcome back, GoblinSmashmaster! I had a feeling you would jump in for this round.

DECKS FOR ROUND 3 OF SEASON 6 - DEVIANT LEGACY: TRIBAL

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Fire Bowman, Lava Dart
    2. alphastryk: Yavimaya Hollow, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Mayor of Avabruck, Sylvan Safekeeper
    3. FTW: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Mother of Runes, Student of Warfare
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Plateau, Goblin Lackey, Morophon, the Boundless, Path to Exile
    5. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Hangarback Walker, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker
    6. H: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer
    7. Tylert: Blooming marsh, Llanowar Elves, Legion's end, Nissa's chosen
    8. Moosedog: Badlands, Duress, Stromkirk noble, Stromkirk noble
    9. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Cabal Therapist, Ravenous Chupacabra

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal scores for round 3:

That's me, sporting Human tribal, like many others. I expected tons of X/1 creatures and was not disappointed to see the decks you guys sent.
    2. alphastryk: Yavimaya Hollow, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Mayor of Avabruck, Sylvan Safekeeper
    If you rescue Safekeeper, you can't cast Mayor anymore. My pingers kill your team and Lavaman wins it. 6-0
    More dudes for me to ping, but my legends might not stay around long enough to kill you. Two draws? 2-2
    Also, we maybe should have banned Leyline of Singularity. I keep forgetting about that card.
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Plateau, Goblin Lackey, Morophon, the Boundless, Path to Exile
    More dudes for me to ping, one of my dudes survives. 6-0
    5. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Hangarback Walker, Steel Overseer, Phyrexian Revoker
    More dudes for me to ping. But one of them makes a flyer, which I also have to ping. Smart play prevents me from using Lavamancer's ping, which forces me to use Lavaman to block Revoker for two draws. 2-2
    More dudes for me to ping. 6-0
    More dudes for me to ping. 6-0
    You can Duress my Dart, but it comes back anyway. 6-0
    9. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Cabal Therapist, Ravenous Chupacabra
    Wait! I can't ping that big one. Booh! 0-6

Total: 34 points.

Unless I messed up somewhere, which is likely, since I again played chess until after midnight last night.
    I did win this time, so it's cool.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-23-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Ohhhh the ping deck. 0-6 --> 0
    Can't win this either. Mayor makes too muich dudes. 0-6 --> 0
    OTP I can kill mother of runes but you can bounce my dudes forever. OTD, this is worse. 0-6 --> 0
    Also, we maybe should have banned Leyline of Singularity. I keep forgetting about that card.
    You path my elf and you win. 0-6 --> 0
    0-6 --> 0
    There!! my strat wins!! 6-0 --> 6
    Me.
    double draw because you can allways duress legion's end. 2-2 --> 8
    You can kill my mana elf with chupacabra so i can't recast nissa's choosen forever.

Total: 8 points, YEAH.

I was thrilled about playing legion's end to catch people playing triple overseer :)
    Should probably have played the other decks I had in mind because playing a mana elf to cast spells is bound to loose to so many things :)

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

All these creatures makes this a lot more work to figure out this time around!

OTP: You kill my guys as I play them and I don't have a way to save them all.L
    OTD: Same as above. L

0-6

This is my Humans deck

OTP: I don't think I can ever really develop my board against Leyline + Karakas. L
    OTD: Same as above but slower. L

0-6

OTP: I play Oran-Rief turn 1, you play out Lackey. On my turn 2 I can either play out Mayor or Safekeeper, playing out Safekeeper seems like it makes more sense. If you just attack I'm forced to trade, then I can no longer protect my Mayor from Path so we draw. D
    OTD: You play out Lackey, I play out Oran-Rief. You attack and produce Morophon without needing to path a guy. I play safekeeper out, then mayor so I should be able to keep my mayor through path. It will come down to whether I have to start blocking before my tokens come online. I'll have taken 1, then 8, 8 again, then I have to start blocking or I die. I think I can live through this turn with a block though - I block Morophon, the sac 1 land to give Mayor shroud, and if you respond with path I sac the other land as well. Lackey deals 2 to put me to 1, and I start making tokens 1 turn too late. L

1-4

OTP: After revisiting this, I think I can go wide and use Yavimaya Hollow to hold you off long enough to go around the 3 blockers with wolves. W
    OTD: Same as above. W

6-0

OTP: I ran through a *lot* of combat math here and I think I'm always able to go wide and win. W
    OTD: Same as above. W

6-0

Mayor goes really wide, and Safekeeper stops Legion's End.

6-0

OTP: I play my tapped land, you play noble. I play Safekeeper, you attack and play a second noble. I play Mayor and pass. You attack with both nobles I can't block (now 3/3 and 2/2). I play nothing, and on my end step, I make my first wolf and put a +1/+1 counter on it with Oran-Rief, so its a 4/4 which can now block so you no longer have profitable attacks. If you sit back I go wide and overwhelm you.W
    OTD: Similar to above, with your nobles being a 4/4 and a 3/3 when I start making tokens, but that doesn't make the attacks any more profitable for you. W

6-0

OTP: I play a tapped land, you play vial. I untap and can play either creature (You'll get to therapist the other after putting it in on your upkeep). I play the Mayor since Yavimaya Hollow will be able to protect it from the Chupacabra. I make enough tokens to go wide and vial -> chancellor is too slow to matter. W
    OTD: This way around you always get to Therapist me before I play a creature. You take Mayor and I can't beat any creature. L

3-3

Total: 28 points.
    Last edited by alphastryk; 04-23-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer

Yeah, I hit the low-effort easy button.

Can't win through that much 1-toughtness removal. 0-6

Since there is no removal here, I think I can grow at a rate that will outpace the wolves. 6-0

Sure can't beat Leyline even without Karakas. 0-6

I definitely lose on the Draw. On the play though, I can keep pace, having one Overseer to block the Lackey and if not, two to grow. 3-3

This is just the better version of my deck. I don't think I can win it, because the Hangback token can fly. 0-6

6. H: Bye, myself.

Nope, sure can't beat Legions End. 0-6

On the Play, I can make two Overseers and block before Noble could grow. On the Draw, I can block and trade until the third Overseer can land and grow, so I think I win both. 6-0

Hmm, on the Play, I can make an two Overseers before I get Therapied for the last one. So, lets see:

T1 H: City, Overeer [1/1].
    T1 silk: Vial.

T2 H: Overseer, grow once. [2/2] [2/2]
    T2 silk: Upkeep counter on Vial [1], put in Therapist in upkeep, then use trigger to take last Overseer.

T3 H: Grow with both Overseers. [4/4][/4/4]
    T3 silk: Counter on Vial [2], pass.

T4 H: Grow with both Overseers. [6/6][6/6]
    T4 silk: Counter on Vial [3], pass.

T5 H: Grow with one Overseer, attack with the other. [7/7] [7/7] [silk=13]
    T5 silk: Counter on Vial [4], put in Cupa, kill an Overseer.

T6 H: Attack with the Overseer. I can win in any case here, since it is a two turn clock and Vial needs three more to get to put in Chancellor to double block.

I clearly loose on the draw though. 3-3

18?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    The funny part is that That's what i was thinking about when i asked if we could play the same creature twice... did not end up playing this because I thought it was cheating :)

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Fire Bowman, Lava Dart DD - I get points against the anti-1 toughness plan!
    2. alphastryk: Yavimaya Hollow, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Mayor of Avabruck, Sylvan Safekeeper LL - Inability to deal with Wolf tokens does me in because you can chump Hangarback forever.
    3. FTW: Leyline of Singularity, Karakas, Mother of Runes, Student of Warfare LL
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Plateau, Goblin Lackey, Morophon, the Boundless, Path to Exile WW - Hangarback Walker is a problem for you, and you never get to Path it.
    6. H: City of Traitors, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer, Steel Overseer WW
    7. Tylert: Blooming marsh, Llanowar Elves, Legion's end, Nissa's chosen WW
    8. Moosedog: Badlands, Duress, Stromkirk noble, Stromkirk noble WW
    9. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Aether Vial, Cabal Therapist, Ravenous Chupacabra WW

10w2d = 32 points

Unless I messed up somewhere, which is likely, since I again played chess until after midnight last night.
    I did win this time, so it's cool.
    Are you following the Magnus Carlsen Invitational?
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 04-23-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Are you following the Magnus Carlsen Invitational?
    Yup, I'm on Chess24 right now following the commentary. It's a lot of fun.

I'm soooo glad there's a cool thing happening again, even if it's only online.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

2. alphastryk: Yavimaya Hollow, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Mayor of Avabruck, Sylvan Safekeeper ?? - Matchup math is awful because of the insane number of branching lines.
    Yeah, rethinking it, I don't think I can actually race him, even though he has me down as a loss. I think you have a better chance because of Hangerback though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yeah, rethinking it, I don't think I can actually race him, even though he has me down as a loss. I think you have a better chance because of Hangerback though.
    I'm not great at combat math in a normal situation, so I totally could have these backwards when it gets really convoluted like this

Yup, I'm on Chess24 right now following the commentary. It's a lot of fun.

I'm soooo glad there's a cool thing happening again, even if it's only online.
    Chat unfortunately is mostly awful, but that is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I'm not great at combat math in a normal situation, so I totally could have these backwards when it gets really convoluted like this
    Hangarback combat math is the worst. You never should actually block to trade it if it attacks though, because then you lose to a growing flying swarm, the question is how fast I can get to the point of forcing you to block Hangarback.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 04-22-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Hangarback combat math is the worst. You never should actually block to trade it if it attacks though, because then you lose to a growing flying swarm, the question is how fast I can get to the point of forcing you to block Hangarback.
    I *think* it won't matter because if you grow hangarback I can chump block and regenerate with Yavimaya Hollow and if you don't grow your team you get overrun by wolves.

I still haven't figured out the rest of the combat math though.

Thread Information