Page 168 of 332 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    To link two definitely unrelated things: we start with a Wheel of Sun and Moon emblem.
    That would lead to a very complicated round. But I'll add it to the list nonetheless.

EDIT: About 24 hours until the deadline. Try not to be late this time. I'd like to finish the season before Christmas.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

To link two definitely unrelated things: we start with a Wheel of Sun and Moon emblem.
    I always welcome more excuses to submit Eternal Scourge.

Do you by any chance have a link to a topic where that was played? I looked but did not find anything, and I still do not get how the search function on thesource works.
    We have not played true Backbuild here (spoiler alert: it sucks, virtually everything leads to draws), so a search would be fruitless anyways other than finding other posts in this thread.

Actually, I can't remember the last time I played proper Backbuild. Your best bet is ironically Google/insert search engine of choice here, using "card blind backbuild" as the search term.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Your best bet is ironically Google/insert search engine of choice here, using "card blind backbuild" as the search term.
    I found a lot indeed, thanks! Quickly enough the troubles with backbuild were clear, but I saw a lot on 4CB/XCB in general which was interesting. I didn't imagine it was so played, and since so long.
    And it seemed to me that what we were playing here was more interesting than most of what I read, which was somehow made obnoxious by black lotus, stale metas or other things. I guess I have to thank Asthereal for this ;)

Black Lotus is indeed obnoxious, because people think it increases diversity when it really does not. When you have to ban cards like Grave Titan to keep Lotus in the format, maybe the problem is actually Lotus itself and not the threats?

Historically Card Blind was a lot more popular than it is now, must be because the entertainment options out there are massive, and Card Blind is not exactly simple.

Phyrexian Revoker wants to make itself known.
    Emblems don't seem to have names. Or at least we could say you get an "Instant Vial" emblem, and you can't name that because there's no card with that name. But I'm glad you bring it up because having that misunderstanding would definitely lead to feel bads for either the submitter who is told it doesn't work or the rest of the field who get stomped by this misunderstanding.

Historically Card Blind was a lot more popular than it is now, must be because the entertainment options out there are massive, and Card Blind is not exactly simple.
    It's like the least simple game ever. There's a huge barrier to entry. But once that cost is paid, it's really awesome.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Emblems don't seem to have names. Or at least we could say you get an "Instant Vial" emblem, and you can't name that because there's no card with that name. But I'm glad you bring it up because having that misunderstanding would definitely lead to feel bads for either the submitter who is told it doesn't work or the rest of the field who get stomped by this misunderstanding.
    I was planning on just banning Peedle and Revoker, honestly.
    I don't feel like having a discussion and we can surely live without those cards for a round.

But a Vial round is definitely on the menu in Deviant Legacy part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    It's like the least simple game ever. There's a huge barrier to entry. But once that cost is paid, it's really awesome.
    Yeah, it's funny how MtG gets more complicated if you play less cards.

Anyway, it looks like I have everybody's deck, so I'll try to post them as soon as I find time. Should be within a few hours.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

1. Asthereal (TO): Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Gathan Raiders, Basking Rootwalla
    Wow, Inquisition feels so bad here. Don't see a way to beat your 3 threats. LL

0-6

2. jhhdk: Plains, Lagonna-Band Trailblazer, Lagonna-Band Trailblazer, Flickering Ward
    [Updated] Inquisition takes Ward, and deathtouch on the Poisoner lets me push through the 0/4s. WW

6-0

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Swamp, Putrid Imp, Reanimate, Faultgrinder
    I can always Inquisition Reanimate before you can use it, then my 2 1/1s beat your single 1/1. WW

6-0

4. dte: Hickory Woodlot, island, Squirrel Nest, Wistful thinking
    OTP: I can Inquisition your Squirrels, and I get a turn to play out one of my creatures before I lose my hand. W
    OTD: I can take away the Squirrels but I lose my hand afterwards. D

4-1

5. Reeplcheep: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Ulamog's Crusher, Strider Harness
    Inquisition taking Channel wins it both ways. WW

6-0

6. alphastryk: Swamp, Inquisition of Kozilek, Plagued Rusalka, Hired Poisoner
    This is me

7. H: Rushwood Grove, Vine Trellis, Elephant Ambush, Emperor Crocodile
    So many threats! I can't compete. LL

0-6

8. Wrath of Pie: Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree, Boros Garrison, Golgari Rot Farm, Firebolt
    Now that's how you beat discard! I can't interact with your ability to produce threats at all. LL

0-6

9. maxx!: Forest, Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Scale Up
    OTP: I can take the Elf with Inquisition and that does it. W
    OTD: [Updated] I can lead with my deathtouch blocker to avoid dying right away, then take Invigorate with Inquisition. Then I play Rusalka and attack slowly with that, leaving the death touch blocker for safety. W

6-0

10. FTW: Wind-Scarred Crag, Ancient Tomb, Stone Rain, Porcelain Legionnaire
    I should always get to Inquisition Stone Rain before you can cast it, and Rusalka beats Legionnaire. WW

6-0

11. Tylert: Hickory Woodlot, Channel, Eldrazi Devastator, Honey Mammoth
    I feel like I'm missing something here? Honey Mammoth seems like it can never be cast even with Channel, as there is no way to pay the GG. Either way, Inquisition takes Channel. WW

6-0

12. silkster: Island, Ancient Tomb, Aven Eternal, Wistful Thinking
    OTP: I can Inquisition the Aven and get a turn to play a 1/1 before I lose my hand. W
    OTD: I can't beat the Aven, so I have to Inquisition it but then I lose all my threats to Wistful Thinking. D

4-1

Total: 44 points
    Last edited by alphastryk; 12-17-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): Stone Rain on tapped Village or Rot Farm wins this. WW 6-0
    2. jhhdk: Stone Rain on Plains stops your engine, but a 0/4 or 1/5 blocker stops my attacker. DD 2-2
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP my T2 LD stops you. OTD your T2 LD would stop me, so I just play T1 Tomb Legionnaire. Your 4/4 trampler still beats through and kills me from 16 faster than I can race you at 13. WL 3-3
    4. dte: OTP T2 Stone Rain on Woodlot wins. OTD I play T1 Legionnaire. You still have to play Wistful Thinking first to prevent Stone Rain on your Squirrel land. Then you can just tank a few hits to make 1-2 attackers and infinitely chump block. WL 3-3
    5. Reeplcheep: OTP I destroy your land. OTD I point out Ulamog's Crusher was banned many rounds ago with Exhume, which is why no one played it with Channel. WW 6-0
    6. alphastryk: I knew I'd be weak to T1 discard, but was hoping no one would play it after my bad performance last week. I forgot Plagued Rusalka was still legal. It's already been used so many times. I would have done much better last week with it! LL 0-6
    7. H: Stone Rain beats storage land. WW 6-0
    8. Wrath of Pie: Stone Rain on tapped Boros Garrison stops both Firebolt and Ghitu. WW 6-0
    9. maxx!: OTP T2 Stone Rain on Forest stops both spells and my T3 3/1 races. OTD I can play T1 Legionnaire, but Scale Up forces a chump block, then I just lose to a 1/1. WL 3-3
    11. Tylert: OTP T2 Stone Rain on Woodlot stops you. OTD 12 life with an 8/9 trample races my 3/1. WL 3-3
    12. silkster: OTP T2 Stone Rain stops you. OTD T1 Legionnaire races Aven. WW 6-0

44 points (14 wins, 2 draws)

@silkster and dte: both of you were waiting for FoW to get banned to finally play the discard 4, weren't you? I had it in my gauntlet too but went for the land destruction in case there was more storage land flashback nonsense.
    Last edited by FTW; 12-16-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Total: 38 points
    Inquisition looks so much better against a field of T2 combo decks (7!!) instead of vs Force+Kor and Treetop Village. Good timing pulling this out after Force is banned.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I feel like I'm missing something here? Honey Mammoth seems like it can never be cast even with Channel, as there is no way to pay the GG. Either way, Inquisition takes Channel. WW
    Ahah!! you are not missing anything. I was trying to tech around channel and forgot that it produced colorless mana only :(
    My fault I try to submit something early and spent 3 mins on it!!

I thought crusher was still unbanned because someone mentioned it losing the mirror to devastator.

0 points illegal deck I

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I thought crusher was still unbanned because someone mentioned it losing the mirror to devastator.

0 points illegal deck I
    Oh that's sad. I kinda assumed you played the legal threat and never checked.
    There's one Annihilator creature that's legal (though I believe it's uncommon) and one large colorless trampler, but I can never remember their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Ahah!! you are not missing anything. I was trying to tech around channel and forgot that it produced colorless mana only :(
    And something else I overlooked.

Would surely be nice if I had actual time to organize this properly, but alas I don't have time to look at all the entries.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    6. alphastryk: I knew I'd be weak to T1 discard, but was hoping no one would play it after my bad performance last week. I forgot Plagued Rusalka was still legal. It's already been used so many times. I would have done much better last week with it!
    I had to triple check it was still legal, couldn't believe it was! Bad Fume Spitter is still Fume Spitter though, and I didn't want to lose to the Legionnaire backup plan out of the Channel decks I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Inquisition looks so much better against a field of T2 combo decks (7!!) instead of vs Force+Kor and Treetop Village. Good timing pulling this out after Force is banned.
    Definitely did better than I expected! I knew I'd have game against Channel, but was worried there would be a lot of slow storage land decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    :(

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

0 points illegal deck I
    Oh man I didn't even notice, skimmed right over which threat it was after Channel. :(

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Rushwood Grove, Vine Trellis, Elephant Ambush, Emperor Crocodile

1. Asthereal (TO): Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Gathan Raiders, Basking Rootwalla
    Damn, I should have picked a simpler deck, since it would probably be just as bad in results. Anyway, lets see, since on the surface level, we both have two 3/3's and a 5/5.

T1 H: Grove, pass.
    T1 A: Village, pass.

T2 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=1], pass.
    T2 A: Farm, return Village pass.

T3 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=2], pass.
    T3 A: You could get in for 3, or play Raider. I'd guess getting Raider online might be better, so we'll try that. Morphed Raider, pass.

T4 H: Play Trellis, pass.
    T4 A: Discard Rootwalla and play it, unmorph Raiders, attack with Raider and Village, I block Village with Trellis, [H=15], pass.

T5 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=1]. I think it is clear I am way too slow.

0-6

2. jhhdk: Plains, Lagonna-Band Trailblazer, Lagonna-Band Trailblazer, Flickering Ward
    I don't think I can beat a grow plan. 0-6

I can't beat LD. 0-6

Funny I would lose to a card named Thinking, since I honestly did not about my deck. 0-6

I guess I get points here? 6-0

Well, Inquisition isn't good and 1/1's don't really stack up, 6-0.

7. H: Bye, myself.

8. Wrath of Pie: Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree, Boros Garrison, Golgari Rot Farm, Firebolt
    I don't know about this one. So let's see:

T1 H: Grove, pass.
    T1 W: Vitu, pass.

T2 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=1], pass.
    T2 W: Farm, return Vitu pass.

T3 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=2], pass.
    T3 W: Vitu, pass.

T4 H: Play Trellis, pass.
    T4 W: Garrison, return Vitu, pass.

T5 H: Put counter on Grove [G=1], pass.
    T5 W: Make a 1/1 [S=1].

T6 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=2], pass.
    T6 W: Make a 1/1 [S=2].

T7 H: Put a counter on Grove [G=3], pass.
    T7 W: Make a 1/1 [S=3], attack with the other 2, I block one [H=19].

T8 H: Play Crocodile, pass.
    T8 W: With 3 blockers, plus the Firebolt, if I attack, I will lose the Croc. I can't wait, so I just lose.

0-6

Ha, nope. 0-6

Stone Rain, haha, nope. 0-6

Irrelevent that the Mammoth is uncastable, I lose. 0-6

More losing to (not) Thinking, 0-6

Looks like 12, half of which is because of an illegal deck, haha.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Oh that's sad. I kinda assumed you played the legal threat and never checked.
    There's one Annihilator creature that's legal (though I believe it's uncommon) and one large colorless trampler, but I can never remember their names.
    The other legal options are
    Hand of Emrakul - Annihilator 1, but loses the mirror
    Pardic Wanderer - a weenie
    some other vanilla stuff that's just worse than Devastator

Ulamog's Crusher is probably the best common creature to cheat out with Channel, Reanimate, or anything else, but it got banned quickly in Pauper for that very reason

Too bad Reeplcheep has to get DQed again. Haste Annihilator is good tech!

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    H: Rushwood Grove, Vine Trellis, Elephant Ambush, Emperor Crocodile

T8 H: Play Crocodile, pass.
    T8 W: With 3 blockers, plus the Firebolt, if I attack, I will lose the Croc. I can't wait, so I just lose.

0-6
    Firebolt is a sorcery, so the Croc can beat through the 1/1s until he has 5. Meanwhile you can build up to your 3/3s if he tries to trade 5-for-1. I think you should be able to win.

GoblinGrindmaster Results for Round "Combo Wombo"

Grinder smash! 6-0

Grinder smash, then stare 4-1

That's me!

Wistful thinking 3-3

No Crushing allowed!! 6-0

Inquisition :( 0-6

7. H: Rushwood Grove, Vine Trellis, Elephant Ambush, Emperor Crocodile
    Grinder smash! 6-0

Grinder smash! 6-0

Grinder smash! 6-0

Stone Rain 3-3

Grinder smash, then devastated 3-3

Wistful thinking 3-3

Total: 46 points

If everyone is ok with it I would appreciate be allowed to play hand of Emrakul instead. I do understand taking the L x22 because this is my third strike

Thread Information