Page 212 of 332 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    There went my comedy option.

I'll manage though.
    Sorry about that.

When I was looking at fun options, I liked the idea that being on the draw means you get to interact first.
    Being able to play first and interact first seemed a bit too big of a difference, and this way seemed more dynamic.
    Also, I felt that with just 4 cards, we shouldn't need 5+ turns each to turtle up, unless we want to play storage lands only.
    It felt right, this way.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I almost forgot what day it was...so my deck is extra not good this week, .
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're complete, so let's go!

DECKS FOR ROUND 10 OF SEASON 9: Deviant Legacy - Part 2

This round we play Turtle Up: Until the start of the 6th turn, spells can't be countered, permanents have hexproof and indistructible, cards in graveyards have hexproof and players have hexproof. Damage does not cause loss of life, and players can't win or lose the game. Players may choose to ignore effects controlled by an opponent that would cause a permanent they control or card in their hand to change zones. Turns are counted as follows: player one, who is on the play, plays the first turn, then player two plays the second turn, then player one plays the third turn, player two the fourth, and player one the fifth. Then the limitations are lifted with the start of turn six, which will be played by player two (who was on the draw that game).

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Remote Farm, City of Traitors, Moat, Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Greater Gargadon, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    3. jhhdk: Peat bog, Pack rat, Gaea's cradle, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    4. Serguei: Forest, Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Berserk
    5. Reeplcheep: Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Beserk, Forest
    6. dte: City of traitors, Simian spirit guide, Magus of the moon, Chronomaton
    7. Wrath of Pie: Ancient Tomb, Sheltered Valley, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice of Life
    8. alphastryk: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan
    9. H: Swamp, Reanimate, Archon of Valor's Reach, Putrid Imp
    10. maxx!: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Pithing Needle, Chronomaton
    11. FTW: Aether Vial, Meddling Mage, Deputy of Detention, Chancellor of the Tangle
    12. silkster: Bottomless Vault, Vendetta, Smallpox, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    13. Tylert: Karakas, Lotus petal, Meddling mage, Chronomaton

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the season which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Sep 2011

Didn't we originally ban 3 Pacts for this round? Or did the rules change at some point?

Infect is an interesting loophole. The rules do not prohibit damage from creating poison counters. Although the poison counters can't make you win or lose, you would lose at the end of the turtle when State Based Effects are checked.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Didn't we originally ban 3 Pacts for this round? Or did the rules change at some point?

Infect is an interesting loophole. The rules do not prohibit damage from creating poison counters. Although the poison counters can't make you win or lose, you would lose at the end of the turtle when State Based Effects are checked.
    Did I forget about that as well?
    It wasn't mentioned in the first post.

I also forgot to add poison counters to the rules for the round, which a few of us thankfully profited from...

Edit: anyway, the rules as posted in the announcement of the round are the rules that count. Otherwise it'll be a mess.
    So legal Pacts are legal, because we failed to ban them, and poison won't kill us before turn 6, but it will after.

Sep 2011

11. FTW: Aether Vial, Meddling Mage, Deputy of Detention, Chancellor of the Tangle

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP you play Moat or Elspeth on T2, I T3 Mage the other, then T4 Deputy exiles what you played and Chancellor wins. OTD you can play both before I get Mage. Deputy exiles Elspeth so I don't lose, then neither of us can attack through Moat. WD 4-1
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP T3 Mage naming Restore Balance stops you, then I hold up Deputy for Gargadon while Mage kills you. OTD you can Electrodominance on my Turn 3 upkeep before Vial hits 2 counters so I can't respond with Mage naming Balance and lose my hand. WL 3-3
    3. jhhdk: Deputy is hilariously good against Pack Rat. WW 6-0
    4. Serguei: Infect races Vial. LL 0-6
    5. Reeplcheep: Infect races Vial. LL 0-6
    6. dte: Vial dodges Magus. Mage stares at the 2/2, Deputy exiles Chronomaton, and Chancellor wins. WW 6-0
    7. Wrath of Pie: T3 Mage starts attacking T4 when Deputy exiles Bridge, fast enough to stop you from flipping Chalice. WW 6-0
    8. alphastryk: OTP I play T3 Mage then chump your attack taking 12, then T4 Deputy exiling all 4 tokens. OTD you still can't attack before I T3 Mage, I survive 1 attack and Deputy them again. WW 6-0
    9. H: OTP and OTD Vial slips under Archon. T4 Deputy exiles Archon before it deals much damage, then my creatures win. WW 6-0
    10. maxx!: Pithing Needle wrecks Vial even if I slip under Sphere. LL 0-6
    12. silkster: OTP I T3 Mage naming Vendetta and attack once before T4 Smallpox [S=17], discarding Deputy. Your library order = Eldrazi, Smallpox, Vault. You get T7 tapped Vault, I make T8 Chancellor and only get you to 5 life before T10 Smallpox stabilizes. OTD is worse. LL 0-6
    13. Tylert: Haha I almost played those exact 4 cards, but chose to play your deck instead! OTP Vial comes down first and Deputy kills Chronomaton. OTD Mage names Vial and I lose. WL 3-3

40 points (13 wins, 1 draw, 10 loss)

I completely missed the Infect loophole. Nice find!

My gauntlet had dte's deck, H's deck (with Iona instead), maxx!'s deck and Tylert's deck.
    I was hoping no one would play Pithing Needle! It should be strong with Chronomaton and other activated abilities in most decks.

Reeplcheep for round “Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru”

Infect ignores both the life loss prevention and indestructible part of the rules.

The entries:
    You can get your moat down before I can attack. WL 3-3

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Greater Gargadon, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    You restore balance when I’m OTD but it’s already too late for you. [evil laugh]. WW 6-0.

OTP you lose. OTD you need to chump so I get a free kill on your pack rat without spending anything (-1/-1 avoids indestructible) WW 6-0.

I am pretty sure the mirror is a draw. DD 2-2

You are forced to chump every turn with magus. OTP I get to attack twice with indestructible which kills your magus and then I can use invigorate to survive chronomaton. OTD I can only attack once with indestructible. WL 3-3

7. Wrath of Pie: Ancient Tomb, Sheltered Valley, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice of Life
    You can’t empty your hand fast enough. WW 6-0

8. alphastryk: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan
    Too many blockers LL 0-6

You survive at 9 poison with a vigilant dude. LL 0-6

I’m pretty sure I threaten leathal before you get big enough? WW 6-0?
    Edit: not quite DL 1-4

Too slow. WW 6-0

Too slow. WW 6-0

OTP you need to chump twice vs an indestructible shrinker. WL 3-3
    Edit: you don’t need to chump if I can’t cast invigorate. LL 0-6

Edit: 12 W 3 D 8 L for 39. Many more losses than I expected for a deck I assumed to be tier 0 since I couldn’t figure out a reasonable way to beat it.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 03-24-2021 at 03:02 PM.

There is also the life loss loophole, but I couldn't think of anything to take advantage, so I just went with Bridge.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I thought we'd discussed it but I couldn't find it in the thread, and it wasn't mentioned in the round rules, so I just went for it. Boring deck is boring.

Feb 2014

T1 disturbance + chronomaton, similar idea as maxx! and Tylert.

6-0. Moon T1

6-0. Moon T1, chrono T2, will kill before the gargadon arrives.

6-0. Moon T1 is again effective

2-2. Interesting take on infect! I thought of finding a deck that made the opponent loses by state based actions, but by life loss. All my attempts lost hard to Iona/magus/medling/sphere, so did not go for it. Didn't realize the indestructible part that make it so great here.
    3-3

3-3. Idem as Serguei.

6-0. Moon wins that

0-6. Earlier version of the rules would have forced this deck out, but it wasn't in the final version. I didn't spot that.

0-6. I had this deck with Iona, but was afraid of T1 things. Curious of how well you will fare.

2-2. The pseudo-mirror vs maxx! again. We draw, as chronomaton duels stipulate.

0-6. It's early for vial! Now I realize it won't even be this season... But Deputy wins it easily.

6-0. Moon is working again.

3-3. Chronomaton duels :/

Funny thing is magus T1 would have worked better in almost all previous rounds (well, except backbuild, WRUBG and basic bloom), and here I thought it was the ideal one for it.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I can't beat Moat. LL

0-6

Oh hey this was my other deck! but it lost to poison so I went with the lazy pact deck instead. My Titans can't beat Balance. LL

0-6

Titans are faster than Rats. WW

6-0

Titans beat poison. WW

6-0

Titans beat poison. WW

6-0

Moon man does nothing to me, and Titans are fast. WW

6-0

I can't beat Ensnaring Bridge. LL

0-6

This is my lazy entry. Somehow feels against the spirit of "turtling up" to maybe 16 power of creatures right away.

You produce a 5/6 Vigilance creature as soon as you can. My first attack gets in 8 damage if Imp chumps, and my second attack gets in another 8 damage. I will get in a 3rd attack which gets through 4 more damage though, which always wins the race. WW

6-0

Titans don't care about Sphere or Needle. WW

6-0

You can always Deputy my tokens before I kill you. LL

0-6

Titans are too fast for the storage land plan. WW

6-0

Since I can Pact right away, Meddling Mage doesn't stop me and the Titans are a fast clock. WW

6-0

Total: 48 points

1. Asthereal (TO): Remote Farm, City of Traitors, Moat, Elspeth, Knight-Errant WW - I look forward to seeing you submit Elspeth every round.
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Greater Gargadon, Electrodominance, Restore Balance WW - The round rule proved relevant here to the result.
    3. jhhdk: Peat bog, Pack rat, Gaea's cradle, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth WW
    4. Serguei: Forest, Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Berserk LL
    5. Reeplcheep: Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Beserk, Forest LL
    6. dte: City of traitors, Simian spirit guide, Magus of the moon, Chronomaton LL
    8. alphastryk: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan WW - True story: I was ready to put Final Fortune on a Scepter to take all the turns while growing Steel Overseer, but my dreams were crushed. This was probably the best way to do that in the nerfed turtle format.
    9. H: Swamp, Reanimate, Archon of Valor's Reach, Putrid Imp DL - This is actually good.
    10. maxx!: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Pithing Needle, Chronomaton LL
    11. FTW: Aether Vial, Meddling Mage, Deputy of Detention, Chancellor of the Tangle LL
    12. silkster: Bottomless Vault, Vendetta, Smallpox, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre WW
    13. Tylert: Karakas, Lotus petal, Meddling mage, Chronomaton LL

10w1d = 31 points

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    dte: City of traitors, Simian spirit guide, Magus of the moon, Chronomaton
    You are forced to chump every turn with magus. OTP I get to attack twice with indestructible which kills your magus and then I can use invigorate to survive chronomaton. OTD I can only attack once with indestructible. WL 3-3
    Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    2-2. Interesting take on infect! I thought of finding a deck that made the opponent loses by state based actions, but by life loss. All my attempts lost hard to Iona/magus/medling/sphere, so did not go for it.

2-2. Idem as Serguei.
    Anyone weighing in on the disagreement?

Sep 2011

0-6. It's early for vial! Now I realize it won't even be this season... But Deputy wins it easily.
    Like you I had a lot of T1 disturbance decks or T2 combos and T2 prison so I thought Vial would sneak around. This also seemed like the only time T3 Meddling Mage or T4 Deputy could matter, normally too slow.

2-2. Interesting take on infect! I thought of finding a deck that made the opponent loses by state based actions, but by life loss. All my attempts lost hard to Iona/magus/medling/sphere, so did not go for it. Whatever who's on the play, I play a creature T1, you attack on your T2, I chump and you spend invigorate. On your T3 you attack again, and play berserk to force the trade.
    Glistener Elf is indestructible in the turtle so Invigorate is not forced, but -1/-1 counters do shrink and kill your creatures.

S - Elf
    D - Magus

S - Attack with 1/1 Elf. Magus blocks, shrinks to 1/1.
    D - Chronomaton

S - Attack with 1/1 Elf. 1/1 Magus blocks and dies.
    D - Pass

S - Attack with Elf. Chronomaton blocks as 2/2. Invigorate kills it.
    S wins

OTD
    S is one turn slower and Magus only has to block once in the Turtle, so S has to use both Invigorate and Berserk to trade with creatures.

D - Magus
    S - Elf

D - Chronomaton
    S - Attack with Elf. Magus blocks as 2/2. Berserk 2/1 Elf kills Magus with -2/-2 and survives Berserk.

Chronomaton trades with Invigorate Elf?

2/2 Chrono / 1 poison
    3/3 Chrono / 2 poison
    4/4 Chrono / 3 poison
    5/5 Chrono / 4 poison
    Now you threaten to block as 6/6 before Elf can threaten to attack as 5/5 for lethal

Edit: No you should win this race. You definitely win vs Berserk instead of Invigorate, even if Berserk is used on Chronomaton.

Feb 2014

Anyone weighing in on the disagreement?
    I first did not realize that they were indestructible as well, so I am probably wrong.

Let's see, when I am OTD:
    T1 elf
    T1 moon
    T2 attack, moon 1/1
    T2 chrono.
    T3 attack (still indestructible), moon dies.
    T3 nothing.
    T4 attack, block, pump, chrono dies and I lose.

When I am OTP:
    T1 moon
    T1 elf
    T2 chrono
    T2 attack with indestructible, moon 1/1. *
    T3 nothing
    T3 attack, chump with moon, pump --> I would win. Alternatively:
    T2 attack with indestructible, moon blocks, pump spell, moon dies. --> I win as well.

So reeplcheep you were right.
    Funny enough, even if there was no indestructible as I forgot about it, then I should have won 6-0. So anyway I was wrong, and happy to take 2 more points :)

1. Asthereal (TO): Remote Farm, City of Traitors, Moat, Elspeth, Knight-Errant looks like LL, you get ahead on tokens and eventually ultimate, it's downhill from there.
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Sandstone Needle, Greater Gargadon, Electrodominance, Restore BalanceNot sure how this works, but it's proabbaly LL
    3. jhhdk: Peat bog, Pack rat, Gaea's cradle, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth <--- ME
    4. Serguei: Forest, Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Berserk LL
    5. Reeplcheep: Glistener Elf, Invigorate, Beserk, Forest LL
    6. dte: City of traitors, Simian spirit guide, Magus of the moon, Chronomaton LL
    7. Wrath of Pie: Ancient Tomb, Sheltered Valley, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice of Life LL
    8. alphastryk: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan LL, thought for sure pacts still would lose in turn 1-5.
    9. H: Swamp, Reanimate, Archon of Valor's Reach, Putrid Imp WL OTP i get to 3rd rat before i die, OTD i don't
    10. maxx!: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Pithing Needle, Chronomaton, LL
    11. FTW: Aether Vial, Meddling Mage, Deputy of Detention, Chancellor of the Tangle, LL
    12. silkster: Bottomless Vault, Vendetta, Smallpox, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre WW
    13. Tylert: Karakas, Lotus petal, Meddling mage, Chronomaton, LL
    Last edited by jhhdk; 03-25-2021 at 04:21 AM.

Sep 2011

Reeplcheep for round “Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru”

Infect ignores both the life loss prevention and indestructible part of the rules.

I’m pretty sure I threaten leathal before you get big enough? WW 6-0?
    OTD you should lose because you can't play a creature through T1 Sphere of Resistance.

OTP the race could be close

T1 Elf / Sphere
    T2 1 poison (can't cast Berserk) / Chrono
    T3 2 poison / 2/2 Chrono
    T4 3 poison / 3/3 Chrono
    T5 4 poison / 4/4 Chrono
    T6 5 poison / pass
    T7 attack, Chrono has to block as 5/5 to trade with Invigorate

DL 1-4?

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "shouldve played Lackey"

Moat 0-6

That's me!

Gargadon smash! 6-0

poisoned 0-6

poisoned 0-6

Magus 0-6

Death 0-6

Gargadon smash! 6-0

Archon 0-6

Sphere 0-6

Mage 3-3

Removal 0-6

Mage 0-6

Total: 15 points

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round 10:

I know. This is bad. No inspiration. Haven't had any for quite a while now.
    Yay, I win one. :) 6-0
    I win another one? 6-0
    Ah, there we go. OTP I get Moat down in time tho. 3-3
    Same as above. 3-3
    Ouch. 0-6
    More ouch. 0-6
    I'm on a moat! 6-0
    Reading Archon... Okay then. 0-6
    My cards are expensive. 0-6
    OTP I get to keep one of my things and draw. OTD I can't play one and the other gets Deputy'ed. 1-4
    I get both Moat and Elspeth down. Ula can't attack, Pox and Vendetta will kill some of my 1/1s but I can always make more. 6-0
    Uh. Do I win if you let me have Els? I think so. If so, Mage on Els and Moat draws both games. But if you can beat Els you can name Moat and go for it. I don't feel like doing math and for now just assume Els is better than two sad ground dudes, and chalk up the "you name Els and Moat draws it" result: 2-2

Total: 33 points? That's not nearly as bad as I expected.

Like most users, I looked for a way to violate the spirit but not the letter of the rules for this round. Let's see how it goes.

Sphere comes down before you can cast any spells, and then you're locked out. 6-0

Sphere always stops Electro/Balance in time, but Gargadon the slow way might still be able to do something. You still have to pay 1 to cast Gargadon when you remove the last counter, which prevents you from sacing Needle to gain a turn. Still worth checking.

T1: Needle / Sphere
    T2: Garg (10) / Chrono (1/1)
    T3: Garg (9) / Chrono (2/2)
    T10: Garg (2) / Chrono (9/9)
    T11: Garg (1) / Chrono (10/10)

Nope. GG is too slow. 6-0

This is an interesting deck. Sphere shuts it out before it can do anything though. 6-0

OTP is easy: Sphere stops Elf from landing. OTD is close, but FTW's math above looks right to me. I still play T1 Sphere to lock you out of Berserk. That means you can't threaten lethal until your 7th turn (play Elf, attack 5 times, 6th attack with pump is lethal), and by then I should have a 4/4 Chrono untapped, letting me block and pump to trade. 4-1

See above: 4-1

There are some tricky plays we can both make, but I don't think any of it REALLY matters except the Chronomatons. At best OTP I can be 1 pump ahead of you, and I don't think that's ever enough to make Needle a good play since I have to deal with Magus too. I can stop Magus with Sphere, but then I'm behind a turn on Chrono pumps. Pretty sure this is 2-2

Sphere shuts out your Artifacts. 6-0

I briefly considered this deck late last night, but figured Moat-style effects would be more popular. I also forgot that Pact of the Titan is an instant, so in my head I went 3-3 against this. Oops. 0-6

Sphere comes down before Reanimate, so you end up with a Putrid Imp at best against Chronomaton. 6-0

This is me :]

Needle stops Vial dead. 6-0

Bottomless Vault! This isn't Subterranean Hangar at all! I can't believe how owned I just got. 0-6

OTP I have to Sphere right away, and we end up staring with Chronomatons. OTD you T1 Mage me and I can't do anything. 1-4

6+6+6+4+4+2+6+0+6+6+0+1 = 47

I started with Sphere after looking at the rules and trying to figure out how to stop people from doing things while they were turtled. After that, I restricted myself to cards I could play under my own Sphere, so 1cmc colorless cards. Pithing Needle was supposed to stop storage lands (the Masques ones! who plays the FE ones?), and that left Chronomaton as the best threat for {1}.

I totally missed the Infect loophole, but luckily Sphere helps me there.

I thought that 4x Titans would be funny, but since it still takes 2 turns outside the turtle to kill and is vulnerable to Moats, Bridges, etc., I thought it would be weaker than it actually was. Looks like it outscored my entry by 1 point.

Thread Information