Page 215 of 332 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Round WL

4. Reeplcheep: Encroach , Sarcomancy, Sarcomancy , Swamp
    I loved sarcomancy from my time brewing estrids invocation. Plan is take your land if you are too greedy, then make a 2/2 every turn. All the t2 combo kills and greedy decks needed sol lands so I felt encroach should get me at least 50% wins. Also I hate losing to tabernacle.

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Bottomless Vault, Murderous Rider, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Gut Shot
    WW. OTP you have no mana. OTD you kill a dude every 4 turns but I make a dude every turn. Lifelink and first strike should stall for a very long time but I think I should eventually go too wide for you.

2. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Torpor Orb, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Phyrexian Dreadnought
    WL

3. jhhdk: Peat Bog, Putrid Imp, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    WL

5. dte: City of traitors, Hangarback walker, force of despair, unmask
    Unmask is thankfully a sorcery. WL

6. PJim: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Ratchet Bomb, Chronomaton
    Glad you can join us. WL

7. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Chronomaton, Chronomaton
    WL

8. alphastryk: Mountain, Foundry Street Denizen, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds
    INFINITE POWER, itty bitty living space. I easily pump out lots of blockers and eventually alpha strike. WW

9. H: Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Thorn of Amethyst, Lodestone Golem
    2 sol lands :( DL

10. Tylert: City of traitors, Sphere of resistance, Chronomaton, Dismember
    WL

11. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Vine Dryad, Metamorphosis, Voidstone Gargoyle
    I don’t understand if you have anything else going on, but t1 voidstone beats me. LL

12. FTW: Karakas, Cenn's Tactician, Path to Exile, Fragmentize
    OTD You disrupt my engine and then stabilize vs 2 2/2s. WL

13. maxx!: Crumbling Vestige, Mishra’s Factory, Piranha Marsh, Raze
    You can’t win with just 1 land so I can always at least draw by leading on encroach. But a 2/2 is going to lose to raze. DD.

Edit:totally missed that you have no way to avoid losing your only red source. WW

14. Serguei: Leyline of Sanctity, City of Traitors, Remote Farm, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    Sanctity oof. OTP my 2/2 engine is always 1 dude ahead of yours so Gideon dies. OTD math is complicated but I think it’s a draw as you will never have time to emblem. WD

I think this round was a success; the meta was very different so people thought it was powerful. Just most people decided to play the anti-meta sphere decks rather than the t2 grapeshot kill.

Edit: 14 W 2 D 10 L for 44/78.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 03-31-2021 at 02:30 PM.

7. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Chronomaton, Chronomaton

1. Asthereal (TO): Bottomless Vault, Murderous Rider, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Gut Shot LL - Needs more Elspeth.
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Torpor Orb, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Phyrexian Dreadnought WL
    3. jhhdk: Peat Bog, Putrid Imp, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth WW
    4. Reeplcheep: Encroach , Sarcomancy, Sarcomancy , Swamp WL
    5. dte: City of traitors, Hangarback walker, force of despair, unmask WL
    6. PJim: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Ratchet Bomb, Chronomaton WD
    8. alphastryk: Mountain, Foundry Street Denizen, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds WW - I did look at Kobolds, but realized that Grapeshot is really slow, and cheap ETB/creature cast triggers are not a thing.
    9. H: Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Thorn of Amethyst, Lodestone Golem WW
    10. Tylert: City of traitors, Sphere of resistance, Chronomaton, Dismember DD
    11. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Vine Dryad, Metamorphosis, Voidstone Gargoyle WL - This is my favorite entry.
    12. FTW: Karakas, Cenn's Tactician, Path to Exile, Fragmentize WW
    13. maxx!: Crumbling Vestige, Mishra’s Factory, Piranha Marsh, Raze DD - Took me a while to realize that Cloudstone Curio can trigger on lands. We end up staring because of your slow lands and my inability to grow the Chronomatons beyond 2/2.
    14. Serguei: Leyline of Sanctity, City of Traitors, Remote Farm, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar WW

15w5d = 50 points

I even tried to figure out if having a free 3-drop artifact enabled anything good, and the best I could think of was welding it and Wurmcoil Engine back and forth, which is cute and too slow. So I ended up on Sphere, figuring that the good plans needed to cast spells to take advantage.

I wasn't overly pleased with Ratchet Bomb + Sphere, but wasn't overly enthused by any of the other artifact control pieces. Tylert's dismember was probably better, and possibly Wrath's second Chrono too.

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Bottomless Vault, Murderous Rider, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Gut Shot / 0-6, nothing I can do against Rider + Gut Shot
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Torpor Orb, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Phyrexian Dreadnought / 3-3, Faster Orb or Sphere wins
    3. jhhdk: Peat Bog, Putrid Imp, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth / 6-0, Sphere stops Smallpox
    4. Reeplcheep: Encroach , Sarcomancy, Sarcomancy , Swamp / 3-3, Faster Encroach or Sphere wins.
    5. dte: City of traitors, Hangarback walker, force of despair, unmask / 1-4, Sphere draws, Walker wins.
    7. Wrath of Pie: City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Chronomaton, Chronomaton / 1-4, Sphere wins for you, but on the play I drop turn 1 Ratchet Bomb, which trades with one of your Chronos.
    8. alphastryk: Mountain, Foundry Street Denizen, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds / 6-0, Sphere stops Kobolds from being a problem.
    9. H: Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Thorn of Amethyst, Lodestone Golem / 6-0, Sphere prevents Golem
    10. Tylert: City of traitors, Sphere of resistance, Chronomaton, Dismember / 1-4, As vs Wrath, I need turn 1 Ratchet Bomb to draw.
    11. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Vine Dryad, Metamorphosis, Voidstone Gargoyle / 3-3, Sphere wins, Gargoyle naming Bomb races Chrono.
    12. FTW: Karakas, Cenn's Tactician, Path to Exile, Fragmentize / 3-3, Sphere wins OTP, OTD I wish I played Dismember.
    13. maxx!: Crumbling Vestige, Mishra’s Factory, Piranha Marsh, Raze / 0-6, Not much I can do that's relevant.
    14. Serguei: Leyline of Sanctity, City of Traitors, Remote Farm, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar / 6-0, Sphere wins.

Which I think makes 39 points for a 3.0 score

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I think nearly everyone knew that playing combo was bad here. Did anyone find a T1 combo? I don't think there was any. Also, as it is a curio token, It's going to be destroyed / exiled etc... so why play bad cards that will get wrecked by 1 removal???
    So half of the meta playing combo was perhaps a bit too much :)
    Your deck, while playing a card that's good against combo, would still only play 3-3 against one of the Kobold combo options.
    Honestly, I think I should have just played City, Kobold, Kobold, Genesis Chamber.
    I didn't want to though, as dte was the one suggesting the card to me in the discussion we had over potentially banning something else.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Disagree. If you lead on double chrono, you lose to ratchet bomb. If you lead on sphere, you draw to second sphere. And 1 chrono just trades with ratchet bomb. It should be DD.

Edit: You can’t sphere sphere oof. DL

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Your deck, while playing a card that's good against combo, would still only play 3-3 against one of the Kobold combo options.
    Honestly, I think I should have just played City, Kobold, Kobold, Genesis Chamber.
    I didn't want to though, as dte was the one suggesting the card to me in the discussion we had over potentially banning something else.
    dismember kills a kobold in response to the first trigger. so it's 6-0 for my deck :)
    There were a lot of options like ninth bridge patrol / grapeshot / denizen / etc... they were nearly all based on boucing two creatures.

I like reeplecheep deck. It uses the token without commiting too much to it. too bad it looses to sphere effects.

dismember kills a kobold in response to the first trigger. so it's 6-0 for my deck :)
    There were a lot of options like ninth bridge patrol / grapeshot / denizen / etc... they were nearly all based on boucing two creatures.

I like reeplecheep deck. It uses the token without commiting too much to it. too bad it looses to sphere effects.
    If I didn’t respect combo I could have easily beaten the sphere decks with another land. If t2 combo is paper it’s just everyone decided to play scissors rather than rock. I expected a lot more durdle decks to beat the anti-meta decks like as there’ll. That happened most other rounds.

Sep 2011

Lol, my other deck was City of Traitors, Sphere of Resistance, Chronomaton, Chronomaton.
    I expected people to play artifact hate after Asthereal confirmed the Curio was a token so I switched to a 0-artifact deck hoping not to see too much Smallpox or Spheres... Oops

1. Asthereal (TO): I can kill your Curio and exile Rider, but 2/2 Gatekeeper kills me. LL 0-6
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Fragmentize kills your Orb. WW 6-0
    3. jhhdk: If I sandbag Karakas+Path for PImp, you can just Smallpox away my hand. LL 0-6
    4. Reeplcheep: OTP Fragmentize spoils your fun, Path exiles one of 2 zombies, and Cenn's Tactician easily beats the other. OTD you punish me for not just playing Plains. WL 3-3
    5. dte: If you Unmask Path, I can Fragmentize 1/1 Hangarback and have Cenn race the 1 Thopter. So you have to let me Path Hangarback so you can Force Cenn. DD 2-2
    6. PJim: OTP I play Cenn. If you play Sphere, you can't play Ratchet and my Cenn races your T2 Chrono. If you play Ratchet, I Fragmentize it before it kills Cenn. If you play Chrono before Sphere, I Path it. OTD Sphere beats me. WL 3-3
    7. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Cenn. You play Sphere. I'm 2/2. You play 1 Chrono, which would get raced, so you play the 2nd next turn. Eventually you can attack with 2 20/20s vs a 22/22. I can block both and kill one, but the other lives and kills me next turn. OTD Sphere wins. LL 0-6
    8. alphastryk: OTP I Fragmentize your Curio, then Cenn beats a 1/1. OTD you can play everything on turn 1 but can't attack yet. I just Path the Denizen and let you play infinite 0/1s. WW 6-0
    9. H: OTP and OTD I can play Tactician through Thorn. OTP Tactician can block as a 6/6 before I die to Golem, then eventually attack for 20. OTD I don't hit 6/6 fast enough so I just trade to draw. WD 4-1
    10. Tylert: OTP I can play Cenn, but Dismember kills it. OTD I can't play anything. LL 0-6
    11. silkster: Nice deck. I was ready to beat 2/2 Meddling Mage but not a 3/3 flyer. Voidstone Gargoyle has to name Path. Cenn's a turn too slow OTP, even slower OTD. LL 0-6
    13. maxx!: Raze only lets me do 1 thing. I can Fragmentize your Curio or play 1/1 Cenn, Factory will kill me. LL 0-6
    14. Serguei: Karakas and Path mean you can't +1 to grow, so you're just making tokens. I can attack Gideon every turn to force blocks, because if Gideon dies Cenn easily beats a few Knights. Gideon's fast enough that even if I Path the first token to get an attack in, I can't kill Gideon before you stabilize by chumping with a Knight every turn. Path ruins trying to kill Cenn by double blocking or using the Emblem to make bigger tokens. DD 2-2

26 points (7 wins, 5 draws)

The Curio T2 combo kill I saw was:
    Sandstone Needle, 2 Kobolds, Grapeshot/Impact Tremors

But I thought those would be hated out too easily. I expected the meta to be defined by hate like Force of Vigor/Nature's Claim effects, Torpor Orb, T1 Meddling Mage, and enchantment/artifact-based prison (Leyline, Energy Field).

Spheres seemed strong against both the Curio decks and the anti-Curio decks, but somehow I talked myself into playing something that loses to Sphere instead of playing Sphere.
    Edit: would have been 50 points. Well done Wrath!
    Last edited by FTW; 03-31-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Disagree. If you lead on double chrono, you lose to ratchet bomb. If you lead on sphere, you draw to second sphere. And 1 chrono just trades with ratchet bomb. It should be DD.

Edit: You can’t sphere sphere oof. DL
    He leads on Sphere. That shuts off 2/3 cards in PJim's deck. Then 2 Chronos beat 1 Chrono. The 2 Chronos come out slowly, but then he can grow both each turn while double blocking.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Dismember isn't free though. And Genesis Chamber combos on turn one. So OTD you have a Dismember against a googolplex Myr tokens.

This is the whole reason why dte feared Force of despair would completely dominate this round: good free removal that can pitch to Unmask if needed.
    But I argued that there was also Pyrokinesis and Gut Shot as free removals, so if you wanted to play one, you could do so regardless of banning FoD.
    And in the end FoD saw almost no play, neither did combo, and everybody just did whatever.

Sep 2011

This is the whole reason why dte feared Force of despair would completely dominate this round: good free removal that can pitch to Unmask if needed.
    But I argued that there was also Pyrokinesis and Gut Shot as free removals, so if you wanted to play one, you could do so regardless of banning FoD.
    And in the end FoD saw almost no play, neither did combo, and everybody just did whatever.
    Force of Vigor on Curio, Force of Negation on the wincon, and Pyrokinesis on the Kobolds were the other T0 hate cards I saw so Force of Despair didn't seem unbalanced to me either. I thought Vigor would see more play because it also hates out generically oppressive stuff like Energy Field, Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, Sphere of Resistance, Isochron Scepter, etc. while Despair is underwhelming vs fair decks or noncreature engines.

You can mitigate the pitch costs of the other ones too:
    Force of Vigor+Chancellor of the Tangle

Force of Negation+Misthollow Griffin

Pyrokinesis+Chancellor of the Forge

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Force of Vigor on Curio, Force of Negation on the wincon, and Pyrokinesis on the Kobolds were the other T0 hate cards I saw so Force of Despair didn't seem unbalanced to me either. I thought Vigor would see more play because it also hates out generically oppressive stuff like Energy Field, Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, Sphere of Resistance, Isochron Scepter, etc. while Despair is underwhelming vs fair decks or noncreature engines.

You can mitigate the pitch costs of the other ones too:
    Force of Vigor+Chancellor of the Tangle

Force of Negation+Misthollow Griffin

Pyrokinesis+Chancellor of the Forge
    Sometimes I wonder how much better our little 4CB competition would be if you ran it.

PhyrexianSmashmaster Results for Round "noone curious about Curio"

1. Asthereal (TO): Bottomless Vault, Murderous Rider, Gatekeeper of Malakir, Gut Shot
    Dreadnought smash! 6-0

2. GoblinSmashmaster: City of Traitors, Torpor Orb, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Phyrexian Dreadnought
    That's me, playing bigger Goblins

Dreadnought smash! 6-0

Encroached 3-3

Unmasked 3-3

Sphere 3-3

Sphere 3-3

8. alphastryk: Mountain, Foundry Street Denizen, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds
    Dreadnought smash! 6-0

Thorn 3-3

Sphere 3-3

11. silkster: Chancellor of the Tangle, Vine Dryad, Metamorphosis, Voidstone Gargoyle
    Void :( 0-6

Fragmented :( 0-6

LD :( 0-6

14. Serguei: Leyline of Sanctity, City of Traitors, Remote Farm, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    Dreadnought smash! 6-0

Total: 42 points!

Sep 2011

Sometimes I wonder how much better our little 4CB competition would be if you ran it.
    Not a chance. You've done a top notch job of consistently organizing every week and playing with unquestionable integrity with everyone's decks PMed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    That's me, playing bigger Goblins

Dreadnought smash! 6-0
    You both agree but I don't see how you win OTD

OTP you make 2 Dreadnoughts before he can Smallpox
    OTD Smallpox right after Orb stops you from playing anything. If you do nothing, could you race the 2nd Pox though?

T1 Bog / pass
    T2 Smallpox, discarding Kozi and Dreadnought. Library = Kozilek, Smallpox, Peat Bog. / City + Orb
    T3 draw Kozi / Dreadnought
    T4 draw Smallpox / Attack for 12
    T5 draw Peat Bog, tapped Bog / Attack for 12

You can race if jhhdk tries to Smallpox proactively. But jhhdk can do nothing and hold Smallpox if you try to cast Orb, staring.
    WD 4-1
    Last edited by FTW; 03-31-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Dismember isn't free though. And Genesis Chamber combos on turn one. So OTD you have a Dismember against a googolplex Myr tokens.

oh yes. SO that's the turn 1 combo we were looking for :)

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

oh yes. SO that the turn 1 combo we were looking for :)
    Yep! Turns out the goto combo deck is more like:

City of Traitors, Genesis Chamber, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds.

Infinite 1/1s is way better than my Infinity/1 creature with no evasion!

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal: Stockland + removal for my chronomaton. 0-6 --> 0
    2. Goblin smashmaster: OTP You can't cast anything. OTD You cast torpor orb first and you are able to cast your dreadnought. 3-3 --> 3
    3. jhhdk: SPhere of resistance prevents smallpox. dismember kills Imp. 6-0 --> 9
    4. Reeplcheep: OTP, sphere wins. OTD, you can encroach city of traitors. 3-3 --> 12
    5. dte: OTP, it's a draw because I have to play sphere to kill walker. OTD you play walker first and I can't kill it and the token. 1-4 --> 13
    6. PJim: OTP, I have sphere and wins. OTD, You can play bomb first for the draw. 4-1 --> 17
    7. Wrath of Pie: Draw. 2-2 --> 19
    8. Alphastryk: You really tried to play the rules of this round?? :) OTP, sphere wins it. OTD you can play your dudes then I kill denizen and wins. 6-0 --> 25
    9. H: OTP, I cast sphere and wins. OTD, you can't kill me with lodestone before my chronomaton is 5/5. 6-0 --> 31
    10. Me.
    11. silkster: OTP, I cast sphere and wins with chronomaton as soon as it is a 3/3. OTD, You have a 3/3 flying T1 naming dismember. Chronomaton is a bit too slow to outgrow and race the gargoyle. 3-3 --> 34
    12. FTW: OTP, Sphere wins. OTD, You can play tactician, but I can dismember it and play sphere to ensure victory as fragmentize is a sorcery. 6-0 --> 40
    13. Maxx!: I play chronomaton, you kill my land and we trade dudes. 2-2 --> 42.
    Total 42. not bad.
    You have to face your friend Serguei too :)

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You have to face your friend Serguei too :)
    6 free points. how did I miss that :)

maxx!: Crumbling Vestige, Mishra’s Factory, Piranha Marsh, Raze

Raze gets your land, then my lands get you. 6-0

You have to spend a turn playing Torpor Orb before you can do anything else, and that gives me a turn to Raze. 6-0

Raze beats ETB tapped lands. 6-0

This is interesting. You can Encroach first and take my Vestige, and then I can't stop you from making a Zombie every turn. 0-6

Unmask gets Raze, but then Walker is kinda slow. Math below. Not nearly slow enough for me to win. 0-6

Welcome! Ratchet Bomb is a blank against me, and I have more than enough lands to play Raze through Sphere. You can't get Chronomaton big enough to beat Factory before I Raze you. 6-0

Same as PJim, except you can play 2 Chronomatons before Raze if you want. I think that keeps me from attacking, and trying to loop Piranha Marsh leaves me open to attacks. 2-2

Yeesh. Raze is useless here. OTP I can get Factory on the table with another land before you kill me, and then we stare because my lands are bad. I can't loop Marsh without leaving myself open to an attack. OTD I just die. 1-4

OTP is easy because I can lead with Piranha Marsh, then have mana to Raze your first land. OTD you can play Thorn turn 1, then I can't Raze you fast enough. I can't attack into your Golem, but I can block and trade which leads to a win for me, so we stare. 4-1

Any time you show your land, it gets Razed. You end up with a 1/1 Chronomaton, and Factory beats that. 6-0

Well, you have no lands, so Raze is dead. Your Gargoyle flies so I can't threaten to block, and at best I hit you for 2 or 3 damage every turn. You get the first attack too, so there's no way I can race. 0-6

You get a 1/1 Tactician and then get Razed. 6-0

This is me :]

Leyline forces me to ping myself with Piranha Marsh (haha), but I can always Raze Remote Farm before it untaps and then win with Factory. 6-0

6+6+6+0+0+6+2+1+4+6+0+6+6 = 49

I missed Genesis Chamber. I found the Grapeshot and Impact Tremors decks with Kobolds and Burning Tree Emissary, but they felt too fragile. (Also Carnival of Souls and 2x Cauldron Familiar, but that's a turn slower). Basically all of the good combo decks I could find leaned heavily on ETB tapped lands, so I decided Raze was good. I like playing Raze with extra lands, and Curio works with lands too, so going heavy lands to get around Sphere, Tabernacle, Force of Despair, etc felt right. Raze was stellar, and Factory was good too, but my other lands tried to be too cute. I'm pretty sure just swapping Vestige for Mountain gets me a draw vs Reep instead of a loss. I think my general strategy was sound, but I could've done a better job with the land selection.

----------
    vs dte (OTP)
    m: Factory
    d: Unmask Raze, Walker
    m: Vestige, activate Factory, attack (d:18)
    d: Pass
    m: Piranha Marsh, bounce Vestige. EOT add a counter (d:17, HW=3/3)
    d: You can attack here and I can't block, but you lose that race, so pass
    m: Vestige, bounce Marsh. EOT add a counter (HW=3/3)
    If you start attacking now, I die in 7 turns. It will take me 7 turns to kill you from here too, but you start the race so you win. If I try to hold back to block, I still lose to Thopters, and you can just slowly grow your Walker if I'm not attacking. I lose

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    Yeesh. Raze is useless here. OTP I can get Factory on the table with another land before you kill me, and then we stare because my lands are bad. I can't loop Marsh without leaving myself open to an attack. OTD I just die. 1-4
    I missed that you can't loop Marsh and leave Factory up as a blocker at the same time. Will update my results.

Thread Information