Page 221 of 332 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231271321 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    After some heavy deliberation, I decided to put a last minute ban up for vote anyway. Even though I don't really want to.
    Before dte mentioned it, I already suspected Chronomaton will probably be the only threat anyone will want to play.
    It is by far the most dangerous cheap threat, and I feel like next round will be super dumb if everybody just sends in a Chronomaton deck.

So I would like to suggest we ban Chronomaton for next round (Concise). Who's in favour & who's against?
    I was planning on submitting 0 Chronomatons, and I don't see the point in banning it when it's probably not that great by itself.

The dangerous possibility is 2 Chronomatons, but that is really weak to removal, among other options.

Naturally, I'm against this proposal.

Im against banning something that loses to shock

Feb 2014

Asthereal's scores for round 12 (Epic):

1. Asthereal (TO): Great Furnace, Kuldotha Rebirth, Pyrokinesis, Chancellor of the Forge
    ---

9. H: Tropical Island, Lotus Petal, Force Spike, Crashing Footfalls
    Spike the Rebirth, then many 4/4 dudes win it. 0-6
    It should be 3-3, H cannot spike OTD. Turn 1 Kuldotha wins T4.

That's two against already. I'm in favour, and assuming dte is too, we're at 2-2 right now.
    Correct assumption, but seems to be the minority opinion ;)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    It should be 3-3, H cannot spike OTD. Turn 1 Kuldotha wins T4.
    Ooh more points! You're right of course. I had FoN in mind, but Spike needs mana to be cast.
    I'll adjust my scores.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Correct assumption, but seems to be the minority opinion ;)
    So it would seem. I'll let the vote run for while longer, and make a final decision late afternoon/early evening.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

I'm against banning Chronomaton, I don't think it will be oppressive in any way.

Generally speaking, in these deviant formats I'm not a big fan of banning things unless they're literally the only viable strategy - finding these powerful things in the unique formats each week is a big part of the appeal to me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

That's 5 against and 2 in favour, and I don't want to wait any longer, so announcement: Chronomaton will be legal.
    I will be creating my deck in the next hour or so, so stand by for next round to open.

Standings for last round to follow. I'm not sure I have everybody's scores yet, and I haven't checked properly yet because busy.

Sep 2011

Is Trall legal?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Is Trall legal?
    Turns out you can't kill a good inside joke.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Turns out you can't kill a good inside joke.
    Wow that's so inside I don't get it.
    Anyway, let's get this round going.
    I'll set the deadline at the regular Wednesday, as nothing changed and I think everybody has a good deck in mind already.

ROUND 13 OF SEASON 9: DEVIANT LEGACY - PART 2 has started.

This round we play Concise: Only cards with one-word names are legal. No additional bannings.
    Please note that Pili-Pala is considered to be a card name with two words. We will extrapolate accordingly.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 13, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 14th of April at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Swamp, Terror, Sangrophage.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S09R13 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Last edited by Asthereal; 04-13-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Yeah, I agree that Nomads en-Kor shouldn't be able to auto-draw the game, and that the 3x Oblivion Ring + Darksteel Relic scenario should be forced to end too.

What becomes complicated is whether Wrath's scenario with Epic Time Warp + Urza's Factory vs Energy Field is more like those or more like the Crazed Goblin vs Steel Wall.

Wrath's loop isn't just doing nothing. Technically he is advancing his board state by creating another creature every 8 turns. He can go very wide and attack every turn. They're just running into infinite Steel Walls called Energy Field, so he can never deal damage. Also Wrath's infinite loop is not taking place on one turn. It's across multiple turns. They're just all his turns.

The Epic rule forces him to cast Time Warp every turn. The only issue is whether the rules can force him to break the loop by targetting the opponent. Does he have to specify a finite number of times to target himself before he targets Silkster? That would make sense to me.
    Agreed that you shouldn't be able to draw a game by just refusing to give up priority or tapping your Basalt Monolith. I think WoP's situation falls somewhere in between "stalling" (the en-Kor example, shouldn't be allowed) and "preventing your opponent from killing you) (the Lawkeeper example, should be allowed). In my head I was coming down more on allowing it because it doesn't feel like stalling when you're still moving through phases, passing priority, passing the turn, and creating tokens. But I agree that we need to draw the line somewhere so that you can't auto-draw any matchup just by looping, and I can see where the rest of you are coming from. Either way works for me.

For the next round, what constitutes a word? Is Pili-Pala one word or two? What about Telim'Tor? Will-o'-the-Wisp?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by maxx! View Post
    And there goes my secret "bet you didn't think this was 1 word" anti-Chronomaton tech.

I'm pretty sure hyphenated words do not count as one word, but I'll let Asthereal be the judge.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Is Trall legal?

I'm pretty sure hyphenated words do not count as one word, but I'll let Asthereal be the judge.
    Interesting, I would have expected they do count, so we definitely need to clarify.

Feb 2014

My understanding on hyphenated words count is that Two-Headed Giant is three words, but that Will-o'-the-Wisp is one, because you could have "giant with two heads", but cannot break the wisp.
    Mind you, I'm not a native speaker, so probably not useful input :p

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Correct. The - mark just connects two words. It's still two words.
    As for Will-o'-the-Wisp: I'm pretty sure it stands for Will of the Wisp, and considering it one name doesn't count, as all card names are names, technically.

I've edited the post opening the round, and the first post as well, to clarify.

For people who don’t know regular expressions very well (like me), the following scryfall query may be helpful:

-name:/(\s|\-)/ f:vintage

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    For people who don’t know regular expressions very well (like me), the following scryfall query may be helpful:

-name:/(\s|\-)/ f:vintage
    Thanks! I didn't know you could use regex in scryfall - that's pretty cool

Wow that's so inside I don't get it.
    Trall was short for Ancestral Recall. And your reply is the perfect reply because it was originally used with such confidence that everyone would know what Trall was, though most people either didn't know or guessed but weren't exactly sure. Unless your reply that you didn't know what was happening was intended to be a joke, in which case: well done. In that round, by the way, Lion's Eye Diamond, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Ideas Unbound, Ideas Unbound was playable as a turn 2 combo, which I think would have actually done very well (better than what I put in, anyway).

It's interesting having Chronomaton highlighted like this. I mean, most people probably found it, but did everyone? And did everyone know that everyone else did?

It reminds me of the eye colour riddle. Quoted below if you haven't seen it.
    On an island, there are 100 people who have blue eyes, and the rest of the people have brown eyes. At the start of the puzzle, no one on the island ever knows their own eye color. By rule, if a person on the island ever discovers they have blue eyes, that person must leave the island at dawn; anyone not making such a discovery always sleeps until after dawn. On the island, each person knows every other person's eye color, there are no reflective surfaces, and there is no communication of eye color.

At some point, an outsider comes to the island, calls together all the people on the island, and makes the following public announcement: "I'm surprised to find blue eyes on this island". The outsider, furthermore, is known by all to be truthful, and all know that all know this, and so on: it is common knowledge that he is truthful, and thus it becomes common knowledge that there is at least one islander who has blue eyes. The problem: assuming all persons on the island are completely logical and that this too is common knowledge, what is the eventual outcome?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Trall was short for Ancestral Recall. And your reply is the perfect reply because it was originally used with such confidence that everyone would know what Trall was, though most people either didn't know or guessed but weren't exactly sure. Unless your reply that you didn't know what was happening was intended to be a joke, in which case: well done.
    Nah, I just didn't know it. I never played or followed Vintage, so there was never a reason to talk about Ancestral Recall.

EDIT: The deadline has passed, and it looks like I'm missing an entry from Reeplcheep. I'll give you some extra time while I do work stuff.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    It's interesting having Chronomaton highlighted like this. I mean, most people probably found it, but did everyone? And did everyone know that everyone else did?

It reminds me of the eye colour riddle. Quoted below if you haven't seen it.
    If it takes us 14 rounds to play around Chronomaton, we might need a bannathon.

Thread Information