Page 233 of 332 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243283 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Exactly, the opponent cannot tap their Chronomaton to grow it but you can tap it so it can't attack.
    yeah, reading is tech... :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal vs silkster

1. Asthereal (TO): Forest, Glistener Elf, Glistener Elf, Invigorate
    9. silkster: Gemstone Mine, Crashing Footfalls, Restore Balance, Innocent Blood

OTP

A: Elf
    s: Mine, Blood
    s: Sus Balance (6)
    A: Attack, Invig, 5 poison
    s: RB=5
    A: 6 poison
    s: RB=4
    A: 7
    s: RB=3, sus Footfalls
    A: 8
    s: RB=2
    A: 9
    s: RB=1
    A: 10
    So that doesn't work.

So silk must go for this:
    s: Mine, Blood
    s: Sus Footfalls (4)
    A: Attack, Invig, 5 poison
    s: F=3
    A: 6p
    s: F=2
    A: 7p
    s: F=1
    A: 8p
    s: Footfalls resolves, gets two 4/4s
    One 4/4 can block 4 times while the other attacks, and silk can take one more poison, giving him a chance to win if I keep attacking. So I have to keep my Elf back from here.
    A: Do nothing
    s: Attacking doesn't help, so you also do nothing.
    Draw.

So silk's right, it's 1-4. Adjusting my scores.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Last disagreement I'll just use the result from the other player who played that deck for.
    So that should lead to these scores for the round (and of course for the season so far):

1. GoblinSmashmaster: 59 - 4,2
    1. dte: 59 - 4,2
    3. Wrath of Pie: 54 - 3,9
    4. jhhdk: 52 - 3,7
    5. Tylert: 49 - 3,5
    6. Serguei: 48 - 3,4
    7. H: 44 - 3,1
    8. silkster: 43 - 3,1
    9. PJim: 36 - 2,6
    10. FTW: 33 - 2,4
    11. Asthereal (TO): 31 - 2,2
    12. maxx!: 28 - 2
    13. alphastryk: 21 - 1,5
    13. Reeplcheep: 21 - 1,5
    15. mattamort: 18 - 1,3

Which leads to these bannings:
    City of Traitors
    Empty the Warrens
    Ensnaring Bridge
    Lotus Petal
    Rite of Flame
    Scalding Tongs
    Simian Spirit Guide

In other news: nobody voted anymore, so "B" egdes it out ever so slightly. This means:
    Round Myth Mayhem will move up in the schedule to round 3, and The Long Haul will takes its place in round 13.
    Mythic Mayhem will get an addendum that basics aren't legal, and Zendikar Rising mythic modal lands take their place in the rulings for illegal cards.
    Zendikar Rising mythic modal lands are also exempted from the bannathon before round 3.

EDIT: Adjusted scores for the updated result in the PJim-Wrath matchup.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-25-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 2 OF SEASON 10: DEVIANT LEGACY BANNATHON has started.

This round we play Phyrexian mana: All colored mana symbols in costs can also be paid with 2 life.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 2, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 26th of May at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Duress, Disfigure, Daughti Slayer, Black Knight.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S10R02 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Also, if you've been lurking on this thread and looking to join, you can step in anytime, any round. That's no problem at all. Just send me your deck before the deadline, and I'll add you to the competition.

I appreciate that Goblins won a round.

Sorry, been busy and hadn't been properly keeping up with the thread, and not noticed my f*** up with Gather the Townsfolk. Updated my scores, I think I have 36 rather than 33. WoP has himself 6-0ing me, I think it's 3-3, whoever goes first does the first damage with Tongs/Verdict. Otherwise I think I'm in agreement with everyone.

Shame about the error, with Raise the Alarm as a functional fourth card, I'd have had a respectable 48

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    Sorry, been busy and hadn't been properly keeping up with the thread, and not noticed my f*** up with Gather the Townsfolk. Updated my scores, I think I have 36 rather than 33. WoP has himself 6-0ing me, I think it's 3-3, whoever goes first does the first damage with Tongs/Verdict. Otherwise I think I'm in agreement with everyone.

Shame about the error, with Raise the Alarm as a functional fourth card, I'd have had a respectable 48
    Funny how I got the one matchup right but not the other one.

Bans are still the same though, so we're still safe from the scourge of Ensnaring Bridge.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

For Phyrexia mana, I'd like 2 clarifications.

Here's now I think they work

Hybrid mana - colored mana, can be paid with life. (Would reaper king cost 10 life or 20? Would assume 10)
    Snow mana - not colored mana, cannot be paid with life.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

Hybrid mana - colored mana, can be paid with life. (Would reaper king cost 10 life or 20? Would assume 10)
    Yes both.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post

Confirmed, yes to both.

In order for snow mana to be considered snow mana you have to pay the actual mana.
    Hybrid mana is coloured, and can be paid for with 2 life.

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    I'll check this and adjust scores.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Deadline has passed, and I'm missing a few: H, maxx! and Tylert.
    I'll give you a bit of extra time while I do work stuff.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Deck incoming sorry.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Whoops, I am lost this week. Now to make something even worse than usual...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Welcome to our newest player RoosterCocoa!
    Also we are now complete, so let's go.

DECKS FOR ROUND 2 OF SEASON 10: Deviant Legacy Bannathon

This round we play Phyrexian mana: All colored mana symbols in costs can also be paid with 2 life.

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Meddling Mage, Dovin's Veto, Counterflux, Death's Shadow
    2. Wrath of Pie: Ancient Tomb, Loxodon Smiter, Loxodon Smiter, Bloodline Keeper
    3. RoosterCocoa: High Market, Nether Spirit, Counterflux, Spell Queller
    4. PJim: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Electrodominance, Wheel of Fate
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Lifeforce, Nightveil Predator, Frilled Mystic, Bloodhall Ooze
    6. alphastryk: Leyline of Sanctity, Dark Ritual, Wheel and Deal, Aura Mutation
    7. jhhdk: Raven's Crime, Howltooth Hollow, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Force Spike
    8. FTW: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Frilled Mystic, Narset's Reversal
    9. Reeplcheep: Blood Celebrant , Aetherflux Reservoir, Pact of Negation , Cavern Harpy
    10. mattamort: Esper charm, Funeral Charm, Funeral Charm, Frilled Mystic
    11. dte: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, esper charm, fork
    12. silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay
    13. Tylert: Nicol Bolas, Dragon God, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    14. Serguei: Cunning Nightbonder; Spell Queller; Frilled Mystic; Leyline of Lifeforce
    15. maxx!: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Esper Charm, Mardu Charm
    16. H: Chancellor of the Dross, Smallpox, Phyrexian Obliterator, Counterspell

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the season which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-28-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Tabernacle seems juicy this round, it will kill a lot of creatures I guess :) (Except for all those that saw that esper charm was busted)

Feb 2014

I was set on a fun False cure, fork, silence, Fiery Justice deck. Then when I previewed my message to Asthereal I discovered Fiery justice is a ritual, escaping an epic fail. Then I submitted a little bit boring redraw from my WURBG deck of previous season.

6-0, discard your hand at first upkeep.

0-6. A perfect match vs my deck.

2-2. First upkeep we empty our hands, then we stare, or attack and recover forever... And welcome!

Edit: Nether spirit never comes back, 6-0.

6-0. If you savage first, I then play savage. If you do anything, I play fork. If you don't, I win. If you play electro first, I reply with savage, you savage, I fork. So you cannot start. If I savage first, you can reply with savage. Then I play charm, if you play electro, I fork and win. If you don't, you discard two, I play fork and win. If you reply with dominance it is the same.

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Lifeforce, Nightveil Predator, Frilled Mystic, Bloodhall Ooze
    2-2. We empty our hands at first upkeep, then stare or trade.

6-0. I start by charm on your Leyline, you cannot play Aura in Response, or I fork it and get the tokens. If you play Dark ritual, I answer by savage summoning. If you start it is only worse. It is a 3 active cards vs 2 MU.

6-0. I've seen that before! You cannot play crime before playing hollow.

2-2. I didn't know (or remember) reversal, nice find! I cannot start with summoning. I don't think you can too, but it is a bit blurred here... I'll write 2-2 for now.

Edit: FTW can play medling mage at his first main phase, and we have a very close race, that he wins. 0-6.

9. Reeplcheep: Blood Celebrant , Aetherflux Reservoir, Pact of Negation , Cavern Harpy
    6-0. Win at first upkeep.

10. mattamort: Esper charm, Funeral Charm, Funeral Charm, Thrilled Mystic
    2-2. I guess frilled rather than thrilled? If yes, we stare, or chump, but no one can prevent the other to have a creature on the battlefield after emptying the hands.

12. silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay
    6-0. Fork for the win!

13. Tylert: Nicolas bolas, dragon god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    6-0. First upkeep I target you with charm, keep priority and fork it FTW.

14. Serguei: Cunning Nightbonder; Spell Queller; Frilled Mystic; Leyline of Lifeforce
    0-6. I can prevent Spell queller to land, but would still lose.

2-2. Another staring contest. No one blinks.

6-0, T1 Win.

Edit: 58+4-2, 60

I expected people to be ready for Lavinia. They were :)
    I should have submitted the day before to have time to rethink a bit, not just before 11 on Wednesday ;)
    Last edited by dte; 05-27-2021 at 04:33 AM.

Round force storm even if it is bad.
    I expected leyline of sanctity plus tabernacle to dominate based on the wurbg round, and less people to play counter decks.

Combo is celebrant (18)
    Make 4 (6)
    Cast reservoir
    Cast harpy (2)
    Gain 3 (5)
    Bounce and cast celebrant (3)
    Gain 4 (7)
    Activate harpy (6)
    Cast harpy (2)
    Gain 5
    Repeat for infinite life
    Activate the Lazoor.

Counter flux my celebrant, race. LL 0-6

T1 deatH star’d WW 6-0

Two counters LL 0-6

Two instant speed threats. LL 0-6

Uncounterable counters. LL 0-6

You can’t beat infinite life plus a flyer. If I go first I can pay for pact, otherwise I can’t. WL 3-3

I can beat 1 piece of disruption OTP. WL 3-3

I expected more tabernacle respect. LL 0-6.

LL 0-6

LL 0-6

12. silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay.
    Pact summoning, decay only pushes me to 1 life instead of 2 when combining off. OTD can’t beat summoning and mage.
    WL 3-3

13. Tylert: Nicolas bolas, dragon god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale
    Second silence gets me. LL 0-6

LL 0-6

Can’t beat mage plus charm LL 0-6

My combo requires going down to 2. LL 0-6

15/90 points :(

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

1. Asthereal: Tabernacle will kill your creatures and double orim's chant will let bolas resolve for the win. 6-0 --> 6
    2. Wrath of Pie: OTP and OTD, Bolas will drain your hand while you can't attack. 6-0 --> 12
    OTP:
    T1 = Bolas (10-20), you exile loxodon smitter (5L), tabernacle. Orim's chant (8-20), tomb.
    T2 = Bolas activation, you exile smitter (6L). Orim's chant (6-20).
    T3 = Bolas activation, you exile tomb (7L). You play keeper.
    T4 = I kill keeper. Win
    OTD:
    T1 = Orim's chant (20-18). bolas (20-8), you exile a smitter (5L).
    T2 = Orimes chant (20-6). Bolas activation, you exile tomb (6L).
    T3 = Keeper, smitter. Bolas activation you exile smitter (7L).
    T4 = Keeper dies. I win.
    3. RoosterCocoa: You can't counter Bolas and it will drain your ressources with tabernacle because you can only play 1 creature because of tabernacle. 6-0 --> 18
    OTP:
    T1 = Orim's chant, Bolas (8-20), activation you exile counterflux (5L), tabernacle. High market, nether spirit (8-16).
    T2 = Bolas you exile queller (6L). Orim's chant (4-16).
    T3 = Bolas you exile whatever and can't attack bolas anymore. Win
    OTD:
    T1 = High Market, nether spirit (16-20). I cast orim's chant (16-18). If you fight for Bolas, you'll end up with SPirit and queller but you'll have to sac spirit to tabernacle and won't be able to race bolas. So you don't fight. Bolas (16-8), Tabernacle, Bolas activation you exile counter flux.
    T2 = Upkeep, I orim's chant with tabernacle upkeep on the stack (16-4). If you use queller both creatures will die and i'll exile high market. so you don't. and I drain your ressources. win.
    4. PJim: If you do nothing, I cast bolas and win. So you try to use summoning, I use orim's chant in response and you wheel of fate to avoid loosing but I can play my second orim's chant in response. OTD, if i try to chant, you can use savage summoning I have to chant to avoid you naming chant and being able to wheel of fate and win, and you can wheel of fate for the draw. 4-1 --> 22
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP: Tabernacle kills all your threats, then orim's chant ensures that bolas comes into play. 6-0 --> 28
    6. Alphastryk: Wheel and deal is not banned? :) Leyline protects you from orim's chant so you can make me discard my hand and then destroy Leyline. Nice deck (That folds to counterspell but nice deck). 0-6 --> 28
    7. jhhdk: OTP, Orim's chant, Bolas you exile force spike. Then you use raven's crime on you to discard emrakul and play hollow to put emrakul under it. then your hand is empty and I exile hollow and win. OTD: you do your trick and finish with force spike in hand and emrakul under hollow. Bolas will exile force spike and orim's chant will stop any attack next turn, bolas exile hollow and emrakul dies to tabernacle. You can try to discard two cards in my hand to force the draw instead but I can discard tabernacle and one chant to keep chant boplas and win. 6-0 --> 34
    8. FTW: Tabernacle kills your wincons. I can use both orim's chant to force you to use reversal and mystic and I'll cast bolas later to win. 6-0 --> 40
    9. Reeplcheep: OTP, if you counter bolas, you loose so you let it resolve so you can exile pact. However you won't be able to cast anything thanks to chant and i'll exile one piece of your combo and win. OTD, I orim's chant. If you counter I do it again and win, so you don't. My turn, I play tabernacle then bolas, and exile your pact, then I orim's chant again on your next upkeep FTW. Nice deck. 6-0 --> 46
    10. mattamort: You can discard my whole hand at instant speed. 0-6 --> 46
    11. Dte: Esper charm forked empties my hand for the win. 0-6 --> 46
    12. silkster: If you try to savage summoning, I can orim's chant in response. I can also use both orim's chant if you don't do anything at instant speed. then bolas goes for the win as abrupt decay does nothing here and meddling mage and atraxa die to tabernacle. 6-0 --> 52
    13. Me.
    14. Serguei: All your threats die to tabernacle. I can use both orim's chant to force bolas in. 6-0 --> 58
    15. Maxx!: At instant speed, you can make me discard 3 non land cards. can't win, but I can draw by keeping tabernacle. 2-2 --> 60
    16. H: OTP, I force bolas with chant and win. OTD: If you smallpox I discard 1 chant, force bolas through counterspell with chant, play tabernacle and win. if you just play obliterator, it's somehow the same than me OTP. 6-0 --> 66

Total 66.

Here are the decks we had after our brainstorming session:
    D1 vexing susher goblin bushwaker death's shadow silence
    D2 Lavinia savage summoning frilled mystic Merfolk trickster
    D3 Nicol bolas, dragon god force spike force spike force spike
    D4 Esper charm funeral charm funeral charm THrilled mystic
    D5 Tabernacle quicksand mishra's factory Thrilled mystic
    D6 Veil of summer cunning nightbonder Dualcaster mage Fated infatuation
    D7 Niv-Mizzet, parun wheel of sun and moon rite of flame lightning bolt
    D8 Nicol bolas, dragon god Orim's chant Orim's chant Tabernacle

Instant discard seemed just too strong, but I didn't want to play the same deck as Matt so I choose to go with our second contender: Bolas + chants and tabernacle.
    We were close to the best deck but there was so many possibilities and so many interactions when everyone is playing at instant speed :)
    That was a fun round.
    Last edited by Tylert; 05-29-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): Turn 0 uncounterable 3/3 Meddling Mage naming Death's Shadow races your 2/2 Mage. WW 6-0

2. Wrath of Pie: Turn 0 3/3 Mage naming Smiter. Mystic counters Keeper. WW 6-0

3. RoosterCocoa: Turn 0 3/3 Mage naming Nether Spirit, before you have Queller mana. If you cast 2/3 Queller later, I play Frilled Mystic, you Counterflux it, I Narset's Reversal your Counterflux targetting my copy at Queller, and you recast Counterflux on my Mystic. Mystic and Queller are both countered and the Mage wins. WW 6-0

4. PJim: If you Savage Summoning first, I respond with Savage Summoning into 3/3 Mage naming Meddling Mage (If you respond with Electro-Wheel to get Mage out of my hand, Frilled Mystic counters). If you Electro-Wheel first, Frilled Mystic counters and then threatens to win. If you Savage to make a creature, I respond with my Savage-Mage first. So you lose by playing first.
    What if you do nothing? I play Savage Summoning. You respond with Savage. I Narset's Reversal on my own Summoning, making a copy. Mine resolves first and I play Mage naming Mage. If you intervene with Electro-Wheel, Frilled Mystic counters it. WW 6-0

5. GoblinSmashmaster: You reveal Leyline, otherwise Mystic + Flash Mage blow out your Mystic + Predator and then your 1/1 Ooze can't grow.
    OTP I play 2/2 Mage naming Ooze. You cast Predator. I flash in Mystic and attack, and you can trade with your Mystic [F=8, G=4]. Predator needs 3 hits to kill and Mage needs 2, so you can't try to race in the air and we stare.
    OTD I need Savage to cast Mage before you dump your hand. I flash in 3/3 Mage naming Ooze. You cast Predator and Mystic, and I flash in Mystic [F=6, G=4]. Mystics crash into each other but this time Predator can kill me in 2 hits, so you race. If I attack first with Mage, you trade with Predator and Ooze kills me. DL 1-4

6. alphastryk: Turn 0 3/3 Meddling Mage (naming Aura Mutation). If you Aura Mutation in response, Frilled Mystic counters. If you try to disrupt me with Wheel and Deal at any time, I Narset's Reversal it. I won't be able to choose any targets for my copy but you also won't have the colorless mana to recast yours. WW 6-0

7. jhhdk: Turn 0 uncounterable 3/3 Meddling Mage naming Raven's Crime. You can't interact or establish a win condition. WW 6-0

9. Reeplcheep: Turn 0 uncounterable 3/3 Mage naming Blood Celebrant shuts off your deck. I can also Frilled Mystic something, and if you Pact, you'd lose to the trigger. WW 6-0

10. mattamort: Narset's Reversal stops Esper Charm, because you won't be able to both recast Esper and play a threat. If you can't empty my hand, you can't stop me from casting Frilled Mystic on your Mystic, so you can't ever play a threat. You have to try for a draw.
    On the first upkeep you can shoot 2 Funeral Charms at me. I discard Savage + Mage. That stops me from getting more creatures than you. If you Esper Charm, Narset's Reversal shoots it back at you and you lose, so you hold it. If you play Frilled Mystic first, mine counter yours. But if I play Frilled Mystic first, yours counters mine. So we stare. DD 2-2

11. dte: If either of us acts first at the first upkeep, the other wins the stack. So we stare. But then I break the staring contest on my main phase by having 2 creatures to your 1.
    OTP I main phase cast Meddling Mage (naming Lavinia would win). If you respond with Savage, I make a Mystic, and win with 3/2 + 2/2 vs 3/3
    OTD if you play T1 main phase Lavinia without Savage, I can counter with Frilled Mystic and win. If you do nothing, main phase Meddling Mage wins again. WW 6-0

12. silkster: Edit: I have no answer to T0 Savage-Atraxa due to the fact that Meddling Mage dies to Decay and Narset is a dud because Decay has no other legal targets. This is a matchup where Lavinia would have been better than Mage. I can force through my Mage first, but it doesn't do anything. LL 0-6

13. Tylert: Tabernacle was smart. I can't win through Tabernacle. I can't use Frilled Mystic + Meddling Mage to beat Nicol Bolas through 2 Chants, because you can let Tabernacle kill the Mage and then try again. LL 0-6

14. Serguei: Edit: You have to resolve Nightbonder to cast Spell Queller, and Leyline is symmetrical, which gives me a chance to intervene.
    If you don't reveal Leyline, I can uncounterably counter Cunning Nightbonder (shutting off Spell Queller) with Savage-Mystic and you can't counter back. Then my 3/2 Mystic beats down and trades with your Mystic, letting my 2/2 Meddling Mage win.
    So you reveal Leyline to avoid losing. I can't counter Nightbonder. But if you ever put Nightbonder on the stack, I respond with Savage-Mage naming Spell Queller and you can't counter back. 3/2 Mystics trade and 3/3 Mage forever holds off 2/2 Nightbonder. Draw
    DD 2-2

15. maxx!: If you Esper Charm my hand, I can Narset's Reversal it back at you for pain making you discard 2 (if you respond by recasting it, you don't have the life to play both Mardu Charm and Meddling Mage, so I can Frilled Mystic the 2nd Esper Charm, then if you play Mardu Charm or Savage before you're forced to discard I can Savage-Mage in response to win). If you Mardu Charm me first to take Narset's Reversal, I can Frilled Mystic it. If you play Savage, I respond with Savage-Mage naming Mage. You can't make progress. But can you do nothing?
    If I act first with Summoning, you respond with Savage Summoning (if you respond with Esper Charm, Narset's Reversal back at you makes things awkward as above). If you play Summoning on top of mine, I Narset's Reversal my Summoning, my copy would resolve first, and I could play my Mage first. If you then intervene with Esper Charm to empty my hand, I counter with Frilled Mystic. If you Mardu Charm killing Mystic or make 2 1/1s, my Mage resolves naming Mage and my board beats yours. If you don't Mardu Charm something, my Mage names Mardu Charm and you get to play your Mage. Either way, I have more board presence than you and win. WW 6-0

16. H: Dross takes me to 17 but not playing Narset's Reversal saves me 4 life (can also discard it to Smallpox). OTP T1 Meddling Mage names Obliterator. If you Counterspell, I Frilled Mystic back and can sacrifice Mystic to Smallpox while Mage kills you. If you let it resolve and try to Smallpox my Mage, I Savage-Mystic Smallpox and you can't Counterspell back.
    OTD if you play Obliterator, Savage-Mage names Counterspell and then Frilled Mystic counters Obliterator. Once you have sorcery speed priority you can Smallpox 1 thing but the other kills you. WW 6-0

65 points (20 wins, 5 draws, 5 loss)

This format seemed wide open. There were degenerate turn 1 wins that folded too easily to disruption:
    Dark Ritual, Regrowth, Regrowth, Tendrils of Agony x 10
    Crystal Vein, Grim Monolith, Power Artifact, Banefire X=1000000

The viable decks I considered were:
    Dark Ritual, Wheel and Deal, Frilled Mystic, Overwhelming Denial (instant discard + 2 counters)
    Ancient Tomb, Sphere of Resistance, Mana Drain, Frilled Mystic (sphere + 2 counters, loses to T0 decks that can get around 2 counters)
    Leyline of Sanctity, Vexing Shusher, Assassin's Trophy, Lightning Mare (2 uncounterable threats + removal, immunity to discard, Mare can't be blocked by Meddling Mage or Frilled Mystic)
    Chancellor of the Dross, Chancellor of the Dross, Chancellor of the Dross, Subterranean Hangar (any deck that needs over 5 mana to beat T6 Chancellor can't cast spells)

Edit: I missed that Leyline is symmetrical, which changes my results against both GoblinSmashmaster and Serguei. By not getting any creatures countered by Frilled Mystic and being able to use Meddling Mage to shut off 1 creature, our 2 creatures stare to draw.
    Last edited by FTW; 05-31-2021 at 09:11 AM.

1. Asthereal (TO): Meddling Mage, Dovin's Veto, Counterflux, Death's Shadow DL
    3. RoosterCocoa: High Market, Nether Spirit, Counterflux, Spell Queller WL
    4. PJim: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Electrodominance, Wheel of Fate WW - Well, at least I beat one Meddling Mage.
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Leyline of Lifeforce, Nightveil Predator, Frilled Mystic, Bloodhall Ooze WW
    6. alphastryk: Leyline of Sanctity, Dark Ritual, Wheel and Deal, Aura Mutation WW - Hey, Loxodon Smiter did something after all!
    7. jhhdk: Raven's Crime, Howltooth Hollow, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Force Spike LL
    8. FTW: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Frilled Mystic, Narset's Reversal LL
    9. Reeplcheep: Blood Celebrant , Aetherflux Reservoir, Pact of Negation , Cavern Harpy LL
    10. mattamort: Esper charm, Funeral Charm, Funeral Charm, Frilled Mystic WW - Esper Charms are fun to beat.
    11. dte: Savage Summoning, Lavinia, Azorius Renegade, esper charm, fork WW - Lavinia can't meddle with me!
    12. silkster: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Abrupt Decay LL - You never let me cast Bloodline Keeper.
    13. Tylert: Nicol bolas, dragon-god, Orim's chant, Orim's chant, The tabernacle at pendrell vale LL - Tabernacle was a good choice this round, when people were neglecting lands to pay for it.
    14. Serguei: Cunning Nightbonder; Spell Queller; Frilled Mystic; Leyline of Lifeforce WL
    15. maxx!: Savage Summoning, Meddling Mage, Esper Charm, Mardu Charm LL
    16. H: Chancellor of the Dross, Smallpox, Phyrexian Obliterator, Counterspell DD

12w3d = 39 points

Was expecting way more Nix to win counter wars (and Tabernacle, even if it can't ever beat Esper Charm), instead I look silly with Loxodon Smiters being unable to get past some Meddling Mages. (I guess the memo is that I should have played Abrupt Decay?)
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 05-29-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information