Page 262 of 332 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272312 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,240 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by Serguei View Post
    Easy : I just give him a sleeper agent and he cannot win with barren glory anymore.
    LOL. Stupid Barren Glory. I've gotten that card wrong a few times before and it keeps happening.

Feb 2014

Silk is definitely 4-1 against me, it was my costly mistake not to realise that my deck loses to any agent deck OTD.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Stupid question : Can we loose or win the game before the end of the 10th turn?
    Sooo that's a busy day. Anyway, yes you can win before. The game just ends after 10 turns each. PJim asked this before, but that's quite a while back so you may have missed it.

Also, the deadline has long passed, but I'm busy. And I'm missing entries from Reep and FTW. Perhaps also others, but these caught my eye in the minute I have right now.
    I'll give you guys a bit more time to send me your entries.
    And myself to set everything up to post decks. Which I hopefully get to do tonight somewhere. So don't wait too long.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Me. silkster: Swamp, Sleeper Agent, Leyline of Sanctity, Specter's Shriek

1. Asthereal (TO): Volcanic Island, Sheltered Valley, Keldon Megaliths, Energy Field
    WD. I'm two turns too slow on the draw, so I just go shields up.
    When I'm on the draw, I have to exile Energy Field on my turn 1. But that means that I lose one of my other cards, and I'm a little behind on the race, so instead I go for a draw.
    Actually, you just drop Leyline to protect against Megaliths, and give me Agent on your turn one.
    In my design I forgot about the fact that I will be controlling Agent, so Energy Field doesn't protect against it.
    So I felt free to put you back to 6 points against me.

(PS. My deck would have been so much better with Phyrexian Tower over Valley.....)

Also, no more entries, and I finally have some time, so I'll be posting decks with the hour.
    If someone still wants to send me something, you have until I finish making coffee.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

DECKS FOR ROUND 11 OF SEASON 10: Deviant Legacy Bannathon

This round we play Sudden Death: After 10 turns (from both players), the player with the highest life total wins the game. If life totals are equal, the game ends in a draw.

The entries:
    1. Asthereal (TO): Chrome Mox, Chancellor of the Dross, Divest, Maze of Ith
    2. PJim: Tropical Island, Mutavault, Mayor of Avabruck, Daze
    3. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Divest, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar
    4. mattamort: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Soul spike
    5. Serguei: Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Soul Spike
    6. alphastryk: Forest, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads
    7. dte: chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, soul spike
    8. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lodestone Golem
    9. jhhdk: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Mishra's Factory, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    10. maxx!: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine
    11. silkster: Tropical Island, Old-Growth Dryads, Daze, Leyline of Punishment
    12. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Daze, Morophon, the Boundless

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    You can also enter your scores in the Google Spreadsheet for the season which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Feb 2014

As far as I see it, we do 2-2 with each other with Serguei and matta, lose 0-6 to PJim, and beat everything else 6-0 :)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round I spent 5 minutes on this and it'll show.

1. Asthereal (TO): Chrome Mox, Chancellor of the Dross, Divest, Maze of Ith <-me
    2. PJim: Tropical Island, Mutavault, Mayor of Avabruck, Daze WL 3-3
    OTP Divest your Mayor, Maze stops Muta and the Dross life swing wins it. OTD you Daze my Divest and Mayor is fast enough.
    3. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Divest, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar WL 3-3 Whoever Divests gets the win.
    4. mattamort: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Soul spike LL 0-6
    5. Serguei: Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Soul Spike LL 0-6
    6. alphastryk: Forest, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads LL 0-6
    7. dte: chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, soul spike LL 0-6
    8. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lodestone Golem WW 6-0
    9. jhhdk: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Mishra's Factory, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth LL 0-6
    10. maxx!: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine LL 0-6
    11. silkster: Tropical Island, Old-Growth Dryads, Daze, Leyline of Punishment WW 6-0
    12. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Daze, Morophon, the Boundless WW 6-0

Total: 24 points.

I thought Dross was a bad idea, but I didn't have time for a better one. Turns out everybody liked the idea despite it losing to the Dryads.
    So I expected not too many people playing either 3x Dryad or no wincon.dec (both rather vulnerable) and hoped to capitalize with discard and Maze of Ith.
    Did not work too well, but that was to be expected of a 5 minute deck.

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Chrome Mox, Chancellor of the Dross, Divest, Maze of Ith / 3-3, Divest taking Mayor wins, Dazing Divest and landing Mayor wins.
    3. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Divest, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar / 6-0, OTP is easy. OTD, Divest taking Mayor loses to Dazing Familiar and winning with Mutavault. Divesting Daze or playing Familiar just loses to Mayor.
    4. mattamort: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Soul spike / 6-0, Daze Spike, go wide.
    5. Serguei: Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Soul Spike / 6-0, Daze Spike, go wide.
    6. alphastryk: Forest, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads / 6-0, Mayor makes more 3-3s.
    7. dte: chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, soul spike / 6-0, Daze Spike, go wide.
    8. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lodestone Golem / 3-3, Daze Ritual or get locked out.
    9. jhhdk: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Mishra's Factory, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth / 6-0, Daze Smallpox.
    10. maxx!: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine / 6-0, OTD you can do 16 damage before I can trade off Vengevine, and I have plenty of time to win.
    11. silkster: Tropical Island, Old-Growth Dryads, Daze, Leyline of Punishment / 3-3, OTD lose a Daze fight. OTP, I Daze Dryads, if Dazed back, Mayor wins. If not Mutavault wins.
    12. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Daze, Morophon, the Boundless / 3-3, As with silkster.

54 points.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    As far as I see it, we do 2-2 with each other with Serguei and matta, lose 0-6 to PJim, and beat everything else 6-0 :)
    Much as I'd love an 18 point lead over the field, I don't see how you're beating Lodestone Golem, the other Dazers, or 3 Dryads? All of them can't be turned off with Spike, and can make up a 22 or 26 life swing over 10 turns.

I guess there was ambiguity in the round rules or maybe my english is too bad.

After 10 turns (from both players), the player with the highest life total wins the game. If life totals are equal, the game ends in a draw.

I understand it as 10 turns are shared between the players. In sudden death, number of turns are fixed, maybe thats why.

Of course, if it is not the case it changes the outcome

1. Asthereal (TO): Chrome Mox, Chancellor of the Dross, Divest, Maze of Ith
    6-0
    6 Pts

Starting Life Total 11-29
    Turn 2 Mayor
    Turn 3 Mayor - Play Spike, counter it
    Turn 4 Attack for 4, 11-25
    Turn 5 Nothing
    Turn 6 Attack for 4, create a 3/3 7-21
    Turn 8 Attack for 7, create a 3/3 7-14
    Turn 10 Attack for 10, 7-4
    0-6

3. RoosterCocoa: Swamp, Divest, Witch's Oven, Cauldron Familiar
    6-0
    12Pts

4. mattamort: Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Chancellor of the dross, Soul spike
    5. Serguei: Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Chancellor of the Dross; Soul Spike
    2-2
    14Pts

6. alphastryk: Forest, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads, Old-Growth Dryads
    Turn 1 Dryad#1 - Get Spike 11-33
    Turn 3 Dryad#2
    Turn 5 Dryad#3 11-26
    Turn 7 11-20
    Turn 9 11-14
    6-0
    20Pts

7. dte: chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, chancellor of the dross, soul spike
    2-2
    22Pts

8. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lodestone Golem
    Drain you upkeep 7-33
    Golem is going to attack 4 times
    7-13
    6-0
    28Pts

9. jhhdk: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Mishra's Factory, Smallpox, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    6-0
    34Pts

10. maxx!: Bazaar of Baghdad, Basking Rootwalla, Basking Rootwalla, Vengevine
    Burn Vine
    6-0
    40Pts

11. silkster: Tropical Island, Old-Growth Dryads, Daze, Leyline of Punishment
    Starting Life Total 11-20
    Play Upkeep Spike 7-20
    4 Attack of dryad
    7-8
    6-0
    46Pts

12. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Daze, Morophon, the Boundless
    Starting Life 7-33
    Turn1 Lackey
    Turn3 Play Morophon 7-32
    Turn5 7-24
    Turn7 7-16
    Turn9 7-8
    6-0
    52Pts

12W-4D-2L

Of course, it changes the result if we get 10 turns each, but at least in confirms dte assumption.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    Of course, it changes the result if we get 10 turns each
    We get 10 turns each. I thought that was clear by the "from both players". But apparently it wasn't.
    Sad to see nobody brought this up before, as it might change quite drastically how one would go about designing the deck.

It was clarified above, I think it's fairly clear for a native english speaker, but can see that it might be a tricky point for a second language.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    The game just ends after 10 turns each.
    So unfortunately I think that flips the 4 games I suggested.

We get 10 turns each. I thought that was clear by the "from both players". But apparently it wasn't.
    Sad to see nobody brought this up before, as it might change quite drastically how one would go about designing the deck.
    After 10 turns means there is not an 11th turn
    From both players was just here to explain the skipper turns and potential additionnal ones

Yes. If you win before turn 10 fully ends, you just win. It's just that the game doesn't go longer than that.
    Even here you are mentionning turn 10
    Sorry for the double post but I am on m'y phone

Feb 2014

I thought "from both players" would be ten turns counted from both players, so 5 each.

Then I guess my deck is absolutely terrible. Too bad, I think I would have enjoyed more building for 10 each, I register the chancellor thinking that in 4 attacks against a removal, it would win often, but that it was a fairly boring deck.

But it is part of deviant 4cb to understand the round rules. Who never lost a magic game due to inadequate rule understanding :)

Too bad, I think I would have enjoyed more building for 10 each, I register the chancellor thinking that in 4 attacks against a removal, it would win often, but that it was a fairly boring deck.
    Funny, I thought the exact opposite, I found interesting to find a deck that was not able to deal 20 dmg.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

.... The game just ends after 10 turns each. ...
    I'm sticking to this.

English is my second language, and I do apologize for the confusion, but the round rule says the game ends after 10 turns from both players, which in my view of how English works is the same as 10 turns from each player. Maybe that's incorrect, but that's how I meant it and nobody asked to specify. I got two questions about whether you can win before the sudden death moment, and none about when the sudden death moment was supposed to happen exactly. Which is why my wording in the two answers might be interpreted differently between them. I wasn't focusing on the sudden death moment in my answers. I was focusing on whether you can win before that moment or not. I thought the moment itself was clear.

It's strange to me that nobody who thought it was sudden death after 5 turns each bothered to ask whether that was the actual plan. I mean: after 10 rounds of bannathon that would make max three strategies viable. Perhaps even less.

Feb 2014

I'm sticking to this.
    Sure, no point arguing the rules afterwards as some have built in two different options.

It's strange to me that nobody who thought it was sudden death after 5 turns each bothered to ask whether that was the actual plan.
    Actually one did, and I thought "great, same understanding of the rules":

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    A little late to ask, but: 10 turns from both players means 10 turns total, so each player gets 5 turns if no extra turns are taken. That's how I intended it when I wrote it, but what I intended doesn't actually matter (and has been changed in a few other rounds). Is this right?
    I mean: after 10 rounds of bannathon that would make max three strategies viable. Perhaps even less.
    A bit more: infect still works, barren glory too, mayor certainly does, Sorin/chancellor would also work, etc..
    And I thought the point was to build decks that would be looking to win not in general before the 5 turns and have the round rule as safety net, but purposefully abusing the rule. It seems that it was what mattamort thought:

Quote Originally Posted by mattamort View Post
    Funny, I thought the exact opposite, I found interesting to find a deck that was not able to deal 20 dmg.
    Great part of 4CB, everybody sees fun in different parts :)

I'm sticking to this.

English is my second language, and I do apologize for the confusion, but the round rule says the game ends after 10 turns from both players, which in my view of how English works is the same as 10 turns from each player. Maybe that's incorrect, but that's how I meant it and nobody asked to specify. I got two questions about whether you can win before the sudden death moment, and none about when the sudden death moment was supposed to happen exactly. Which is why my wording in the two answers might be interpreted differently between them. I wasn't focusing on the sudden death moment in my answers. I was focusing on whether you can win before that moment or not. I thought the moment itself was clear.

It's strange to me that nobody who thought it was sudden death after 5 turns each bothered to ask whether that was the actual plan. I mean: after 10 rounds of bannathon that would make max three strategies viable. Perhaps even less.

So just a question what would happen if someone takes an extra turn ?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And I thought the point was to build decks that would be looking to win not in general before the 5 turns and have the round rule as safety net, but purposefully abusing the rule.
    I wonder whether this confusion is why so little decks were submitted.
    Or if people thought just 5 turns was dumb and didn't want to submit a dumb deck.
    Anyway, crappy round because of my crappy wording. Shit happens & better luck next time.

It now also makes a lot more sense to me why so many people posted Chancellor of the Dross x3 + Spike.
    I built in a pile of contingency because I thought not playing an actual wincon was super risky.
    But in 5 turns it's actually rather hard to win at all, let alone turn around a 26 life swing.

So just a question what would happen if someone takes an extra turn ?
    Thankfully nobody can get one, but I'd say an extra turn is an extra turn. Both keep their original 10 turns and we suddenly die after those are done.

Thread Information