Page 296 of 332 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,920 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

Sorry for missing the last 2 rounds of discussion. I've been super busy IRL. I appreciate everyone who put in the effort to calculate my results for me. I'll try to be active again for this next round.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We're complete at the deadline, so let's go:

DECKS FOR ROUND 12 OF SEASON 11: Legacy Creatures & Lands Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, MOUNTAIN, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger (Mountain replaces a banned card.)
    2. dte: rakdos carnarium, karakas, Nils, discipline enforcer, Lavabrink Venturer
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler
    4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower
    5. alphastryk: Stomping Ground, Llanowar Mentor, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kris Mage
    6. PJim: Desert, Keldon Megaliths, Ghitu Encampment, Ice Floe
    7. Reeplcheep: Karakas, Azorius Chancery, Mangara of Corondor, Giver of Runes
    8. Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco
    9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged
    10. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler, Sidisi's Faithful
    11. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant
    12. FTW: Plateau, Tireless Tribe, Blazing Rootwalla, Vengevine

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Asthereal; 02-02-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

And I still owe you standings for round 11:
    1. silkster: 51 - 4,6
    2. Nasst: 48 - 4,4
    3. PJim: 45 - 4,1
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 39 - 3,5
    5. FTW: 37 - 3,4
    6. dte: 34 - 3,1
    7. Wrath of Pie: 30 - 2,7
    8. Asthereal (TO): 29 - 2,6
    9. RoosterCocoa: 24 - 2,2
    10. Reeplcheep: 22 - 2
    11. alphastryk: 20 - 1,8
    12. maxx!: 12 - 1,1

Which leads to these standings in the season:
    1. PJim: 44,4
    2. dte: 40,7
    3. silkster: 40,6
    4. Asthereal (TO): 34,8
    5. Reeplcheep: 28
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: 27,6
    7. RoosterCocoa: 27,6
    8. FTW: 27,5
    9. Wrath of Pie: 26,4
    10. maxx!: 26,2
    11. alphastryk: 23,1
    12. Nasst: 4,4

So PJim runs away from dte a little bit more at the top of the charts, and Nasst makes an impressive debut. We'll be following your career with great interest!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ANNOUNCEMENTS

1) Right now I'm leaning on not allowing the new set Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty at all during this running season.
    If anyone opposes to this idea, let me know, but if most of you can live with it, we'll just allow the new set from next season onwards.

2) Idea for next season: I quite like the current season, but we're already playing the current season.
    So I was thinking: how about we turn it around: a bannathon with no creature cards allowed. So we'll have to win with spells, lands, artifacts. That sort.
    What do you guys think? Would this make for a fun season? And which cards should definitely be on the banned list at the start of this season?

Feb 2014

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, Copperline Gorge, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger
    6-0. Scavenger soon cannot attack, and a big venturer kills

2. dte: rakdos carnarium, karakas, Nils, discipline enforcer, Lavabrink Venturer
    Me

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler
    0-6. I was so sure this deck would not show up anymore after Nasst showed how to beat it with 2-drops last turn.

4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower
    6-0. I charge Niels, it could win alone (if you steal it I bounce it). Venturer for even helps a bit.

5. alphastryk: Stomping Ground, Llanowar Mentor, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kris Mage
    6-0. Venturer for even, + 1 counter per turn wins by turn 8. I do not lose in clock by putting one counter on Niels to allow free blocks.

6-0. Venturer on even

6-0. Venturer on odd

0-6. Fun deck, and pretty well found! Much better than losing very slowly :) My other choice was a sculler deck too, but with your manabase from previous round (artifact indestructible land), would probably have been a better choice. But I actually thought no one would play lackey/settler then.

9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged
    0-6. Had this one for a while, always scarred to run it into sculler / meddler / landdes.
    Edit, 3-3, OTP I can block and kill bane, and a 4/4 venturer survives. If bane does not attack, a 20/20 venturer protection against odd should take it. Also, I meant the scared with one less "r" :/

0-6. Bad reading of the meta. Hope both of you get it banned this time!

11. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant
    6-0. I grow Nils. If you play chaplain to block it, then I play lavabrink on even and grow it. If you kill all creature, Nils will go back in hand and take the game.

3-3. OTP you beat me before I land something. OTD I play lavabring on even T3, you attack with walla (me 5), I play niels and put one counter on lavabrink.
    Edit:42

And fully up for no creatures!
    Last edited by dte; 02-02-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Is bad Maze of Ith still reasonably good?

vs

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, Copperline Gorge, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger / 0-6, Knew this was a bad matchup, you ping faster and get 3 free damage.
    2. dte: rakdos carnarium, karakas, Nils, discipline enforcer, Lavabrink Venturer / 0-6, I've been sat on Nils for a while, but didn't want to risk him while one of the best known decks in the format uses Karakas. Either of your creatures beats me by itself.
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Sidisi's Faithful, Goblin Settler / 6-0, Desert.
    4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower / 6-0, Megaliths will do more damage over time than Colonnade.
    5. alphastryk: Stomping Ground, Llanowar Mentor, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Kris Mage / 6-0, Can kill one 1/1 at your EOT, then the other on my turn to leave you without discard.
    7. Reeplcheep: Karakas, Azorius Chancery, Mangara of Corondor, Giver of Runes / 0-6, Bah, I beat this with Mother of Runes.
    8. Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco / 0-6, Forgot my flying weakness.
    9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged / 2-2, I can't maintain enough lands to win, but Ice Floe will draw.
    10. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler, Sidisi's Faithful / 6-0, Desert.
    11. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant / 6-0, Chaplain is irrelevant, Giant can do 7 damage once, but Megaliths will still race.
    12. FTW: Plateau, Tireless Tribe, Blazing Rootwalla, Vengevine / 6-0, Desert and Ice Floe.

Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco

If last week taught us something, is that big creatures with evasion are good (Hunted Horror), and hand disruption is good (Meddling Mage). So I put that theory to the test with Tidehollow Sculler and Scion of Draco!

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, Copperline Gorge, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger
    6-0, OTD I take either the Firebrand or the Scavenger, and then Draco does the rest!

6-0, I take Nils and race Lavabrink

3-3, the matchup I dreaded. OTP I take Sidisi's Faithful.

6-0? OTD I take Flayer, my clock kills on turn 6, you start your 6th turn with 4 counters, so not enough to trade colonade for draco. You can bounce something, but it just gets replayed.

6-0, OTD you have to make a token t2 or I take Ulamog, so I get to take Kris. Scion kills way before the tokens can become an issue, specially with a 2/2 lifelinker on defence.

6-0, Nothing here can deal with Scion.

6-0 I get to take Mangara OTD.

That's me!

Nice! I had that on my list of potential decks. [Cloudpost] is slightly better, since you make 7 mana by turn 3 as well, but also gain 3 life. Anyway, 6-0.

Gobbos again :( 3-3

6-0, I play Scion turn 2 and Sculler turn 3. You need to take a turn off from adding counters to play Chaplain. I'm fast enough that you don't get to trade colonade for Scion.

Wow! This took me completely by surprise, even though it probably shouldn't have. 0-6!

54-12! Theory confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    8. Nasst: Bayou, Raugrin Triome, Tidehollow Sculler, Scion of Draco / 6-0, Ice Floe and a 2/1 First Strike blocker.
    Bad Maze of It is not good enough to tap Scion

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    ANNOUNCEMENTS

1) Right now I'm leaning on not allowing the new set Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty at all during this running season.
    If anyone opposes to this idea, let me know, but if most of you can live with it, we'll just allow the new set from next season onwards.

2) Idea for next season: I quite like the current season, but we're already playing the current season.
    So I was thinking: how about we turn it around: a bannathon with no creature cards allowed. So we'll have to win with spells, lands, artifacts. That sort.
    What do you guys think? Would this make for a fun season? And which cards should definitely be on the banned list at the start of this season?
    1) Sounds good! I like keeping the card pool shrinking.

2) I feel like the base card ban list is *incredibly* bloated. This is would be my entire banlist for a creatureless season:

all 5 moxen
    Black Lotus
    Mana Crypt
    Sol Ring

- fast mana with very little cost, that makes lands irrelevant

Burning Inquiry

- t1 game over on the play against 99% of decks

Balance

- for similar reasons to burning inquiry, but this can also be backbreacking when played on the draw.

And that's it! I know some choices would probably be controversial (all LD is in, all 1 mana discard spells are in, misstep is in, etc), but at the very least these are some cards which, in my estimation should definitively *not* be banned:

Channel (it's an interesting combo piece, specially in a format without eldrazi titans)
    Dark Depths (The combo is hard enough to pull off, specially without hexmage)
    Elixir of Immortality (there are many, many effects that let you recycle cards)
    Fastbond (better mana acceleration is legal, and as a combo piece is interesting)
    Flash (creatureless format, lmao)
    Force of will (you're 2-for-1ing yourself, it's a real cost to pay for interaction)
    Leyline of Singularity
    Mana Drain (this is barely better than counterspell, which is unplayable, imo)
    Mana Vault (this is mostly a worse dark ritual, dark ritual is legal)
    Time Walk (i think people don't realize how big is this card's fall from regular magic to here)

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Round 12, fight!

Unfortunately, Copperline Gorge was banned back in round 9. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to beat Scavenger looping Firebrand. WW

6-0

I don't see a way for me to both defend against Venturer and make progress towards Ulamog killing Nils to let my team through. LL

0-6

OTP I'm always able to get down a pinger before your Lackey, and can use it before it gets bounced, I don't see a way for Faithful to get you through it and longer term I build an army of blockers. W

OTD you're able to force through Lackey, blowing up my land and I do nothing from there. L

3-3

This feels like I spam out 1/1s until Mind Flayer takes away my Mentor on your turn 6, leaving me with 5 elves OTP and 4 OTD, not enough to attack profitable into your 3/3 but you can't attack either. I then play out Kris Mage which makes Borrower not so good for flying over, but Collonade eventually can. Kris Mage should win before that though I think - tentatively WW but I didn't math it out so probably wrong.

6-0

me, shamelessly stealing a deck from last round

Wow, I can't ever get through all this hate and I can't interact with it since its lands - really nice deck design. LL

0-6

I should always be able to kill Mangara, even through Giver because I can use my pinger multiple times - first on your end step and then again on my turn with Giver tapped. That's enough. WW

6-0

Scion of Draco with these lands is really clever, can't believe it took this long - its a 4/4 Flyer for 2! Sculler comes down on your turn 2, OTP I can play out one of Mage of Mentor and leave mana up to discard Ulamog in response to the trigger, keeping whichever creature I play out. Unfortunately neither of them does enough vs Scion and your Vigilance + Lifelink Sculler. OTD its even worse. LL

0-6

Even if I was able to span an army of tokens out, I can't make them fast enough to stop Bane. LL

0-6

OTP I'm always able to get down a pinger before your Lackey, and can use it before it gets bounced, I don't see a way for Faithful to get you through it and longer term I build an army of blockers. W

OTD you're able to force through Lackey, blowing up my land and I do nothing from there. L

3-3

I can't beat your Wrath. LL

0-6

I can ping away Tribe / Rootwalla over time but I'm not able to produce enough blockers fast enough to feed of Vengevine. LL

0-6

Total: 24 even with the help of an illegal deck. Clearly the meta game has shifted significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    Desert can't kill lackey unless they choose to let you, since it won't exist anymore at the end of combat step (the trigger happens at combat step),because of Sidisi's faithful, they can kill a second land. I think you can get a draw by playing desert last.

t1: Ice Floe
    t1: Lackey
    t2: Keldon Megalith
    t2: attack, blow up floe
    t3: Ghitu Encamptment
    t3: Exploit Sidisi's faithful, blow up either land (they're forced to do this since next turn Megalith activates)
    t4: Desert, draw

2-2

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I can't beat your Wrath. LL
    i think you can! I haven't done the math, but if you keep kris in hand, after the wrath, you play kris, ping face to discard ulamog and shuffle the mentor, and replay it agan. That's at least a draw, I haven't done the math.

EDIT: You def can't draw, since if you chump giant every time, colonnade will eventually get in. Still not sure if you get to rebuild fast enough after the wrath, there's some intense math involved.

Feb 2014

Asthereal deck is valid, the banned land just got replaced by mountain - I still do not get why not mountain (or the red artifact land to eliminate welder) in the first place.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Asthereal deck is valid, the banned land just got replaced by mountain - I still do not get why not mountain (or the red artifact land to eliminate welder) in the first place.
    Oh whoops, good call - that land doesn't need to make green at all, which means I LL there instead

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Unfortunately, Copperline Gorge was banned back in round 9. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to beat Scavenger looping Firebrand. WW

6-0
    So I steal FTWs deck from last round and last round nobody noticed that one of his cards were banned.
    According to the new rule for people playing banned cards is that they get to replace them with a basic land, which in my case will be a Mountain.
    Edited the post with the decks. Also, I assume that changing FTWs Gorge from last round into a Mountain shouldn't influence his results.

Fun fact: I was the one getting the Gorge banned and forgot about it. I have too much on my mind.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nasst View Post
    i think you can! I haven't done the math, but if you keep kris in hand, after the wrath, you play kris, ping face to discard ulamog and shuffle the mentor, and replay it agan. That's at least a draw, I haven't done the math.

EDIT: You def can't draw, since if you chump giant every time, colonnade will eventually get in. Still not sure if you get to rebuild fast enough after the wrath, there's some intense math involved.
    You do rebuild faster, colonnade is 4 damages every 6 turns, giant takes 7 turns upfront (the times it can be made, it can be killed by blocking it with 7 tokens), so it is WW for you.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    So I steal FTWs deck from last round and last round nobody noticed that one of his cards were banned.
    According to the new rule for people playing banned cards is that they get to replace them with a basic land, which in my case will be a Mountain.
    Edited the post with the decks. Also, I assume that changing FTWs Gorge from last round into a Mountain shouldn't influence his results.

Fun fact: I was the one getting the Gorge banned and forgot about it. I have too much on my mind.
    If you read my last round results carefully, it was calculated with Mountain replacing Copperline Gorge. I guess no one else noticed. Mountain is good here too.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    If you read my last round results carefully, it was calculated with Mountain replacing Copperline Gorge. I guess no one else noticed. Mountain is good here too.
    Yeah, I did not do that. As demonstrated by stealing your deck without changing that particular card.

Since i metagamed too hard last time around a deck that didn’t show up, I decided to just play it this time.

1. Asthereal (TO): Havenwood Battleground, MOUNTAIN, Fanatical Firebrand, Anurid Scavenger (Mountain replaces a banned card.)
    LL per above.
    Edit: actually WL per my post below.

LL per above

This is what the puppet was for last round. Sigh. LL

4. Wrath of Pie: Calciform Pools, Celestial Colonnade, Mind Flayer, Brazen Borrower WW
    LL per above.
    6. PJim: Desert, Keldon Megaliths, Ghitu Encampment, Ice Floe WW pro colourless coming in hot
    LL per above
    9. RoosterCocoa: Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, Bane of Bala Ged I kill something on t4, you kill 2 things on your t4. WD
    edit: I don’t actually need karakas if I only plan on using Mangara once. WW
    10. maxx!: Volcanic Island, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Settler, Sidisi's Faithful why I ran puppet last round. Sigh. LL
    11. silkster: Celestial Colonnade, Calciform Pools, Beloved Chaplain, Realm-Cloaked Giant kill all your lands and then win the race. You can’t draw because I have protection too. WW
    T1 you hit me for 4, t2 you can’t attack with tracker and rootwalla trades so another 4. T3 you hit for 5 and then t4 I stabilize. WW

11W 11L for 33/66. Better than I thought, but I am horrible at guessing the meta.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-02-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Sep 2011

I thought I submitted my other choice and was excited to see this meta (which it would do well in). Then I saw my deck. Must have switched to Vengevine at the last minute. Maybe Vengevine will work too.

1. Asthereal (TO): You can stabilize just in time at 1 life with turn 3 Fanatic. Fanatic can infinite chump Vengevine while pinging away the X/1s and then me. Should have played around my own tech. LL 0-6

2. dte: OTP I kill on turn 3 before you play anything. OTD you get turn 3 Lavabrink at 8 life. I can still get damage through, but then Nils + making Lavabrink 4/4 stops me. WL 3-3

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Lackey can't get through 2 1/1s. If you use Sidisi as a wall, Vengevine beats through. If you bounce Vengevine (sacrifice Sidisi or Lackey), my 2 1/1s win through whatever's left. WW 6-0

4. Wrath of Pie: You T2 bounce Vengevine to stall, but Brazen Boi can't block and the others are too slow to stabilize. WW 6-0

5. alphastryk: Vengevine's too fast. WW 6-0

6. PJim: OTP if you play T1 Ice Floe, my T2 attack gets you to 8 and then you freeze Vengevine. Then you play Desert. I can deal only 4+1 before Desert stabilizes you at 3 life. LL 0-6

7. Reeplcheep: Giver over Mother matters! OTP I attack you to 16, you play Giver, then I have to keep back Tireless Tribe on next attack [R=9]. You play Chancery. I attack with everything and you kill Rootwalla [R=4]. Then you tap out for Mangara. Giver must block Vengevine, so I can get 1 damage through [R=3], but next turn you have Mangara+Karakas to kill Vengevine and win. LL 0-6

8. Nasst: Luckily I'm faster than this. Scion must trade with Vengevine, Sculler trades with Rootwalla, and the Tireless 1/1 gets there. WW 6-0

9. RoosterCocoa: OTP I win on turn 3. OTD you play T3 Bane at 8 life. I can't beat through a 7/5, but if you attack I trade with Vengevine + X/1 (sac other 2), so we draw either way. WD 4-1

10. maxx!: Same as above. WW 6-0

11. silkster: OTP I get you to 8 life before you play Chaplain. Next attack you can kill Rootwalla (3 life), but then you're forced to keep blocking Vengevine and lose to Tireless Tribe before you get enough mana to do anything else.
    OTD you can do the same thing from 16 life, with plenty of time to stabilize. WL 3-3

40 points (13 wins, 1 draw, 8 loss)

Other deck would have been about 44, oh well, not too different.

Thread Information