Page 327 of 332 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331 ... LastLast
Results 6,521 to 6,540 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Rooster can use Port to tap you out of City of Brass every turn (1 damage!), which can threaten to race your 1/1.

To prevent that, you need to proactively cast Alpine Moon.

Rooster OTP
    T1 Tapped Battleground
    T1 City. Alpine Moon [S=19]

If you don't cast Alpine Moon there, you never get another chance after T2 Port. (and T1 spirit is raced by T2 Port!)
    If Alpine Moon names Port, Rooster casts T2 Squirrel Nest and wins. (tapped out of Spell Pierce)
    If Alpine Moon names Battleground, Rooster Ports you 19 times faster than the token can attack 20 times.
    If you don't play City, Port can't kill you but then Squirrel Nest comes down.
    Rooster wins.

With silkster OTP you have tempo to cast Alpine Moon and hold up Spell Pierce for Squirrel Nest.

WL 3-3?
    I do not get this.
    Silk does not care about nest, because moon beats it?

Silk OTD:
    T1 land
    T1 land, token 1/1.
    Now Rooster can play a nest, but the moon next turn will not let it make squirrels.

6. RoosterCocoa: Havenwood Battleground, Rishadan Port, Squirrel Nest, Earthcraft

1. Asthereal (TO): Angel's Grace, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Rustvale Bridge
    Your 4/4s are way too fast for me. LL

2. dte: Blooming Marsh, Chatter of the Squirrel, Pendelhaven, Mind rake
    OTP I get Squirrel Nest, which you can't beat. OTD you get a 1/1 before I can Port you, so I lose. WL

3. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Culling the Weak, Paradox Zone, Khalni Garden
    OTP I make us draw, but OTD you are too fast. DL

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Raze, Mercadian Bazaar, Sarkhan the Masterless
    Raze is too good for me. LL

5. jfb1337: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Angel's Grace, Rustvale Bridge

7. silkster: City of Brass, Spiritual Visit, Spell Pierce, Alpine Moon
    Alpine Moon on Port ruins me. LL

8. maxx!: Rustvale Bridge, Angel's Grace, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan

9. Phasmoid: Otawara, Soaring City, Piracy Charm, Sand Silos, Tezzeret, Artifice Master
    OTP I play Battleground, then you play Silos. I play Squirrel Nest, then you put a counter on Silos. I make a 1/1, then you get a second counter. I make a second 1/1 and attack you to 19, and you get a third counter. I make a third 1/1 and attack you to 17, and you get a fourth counter. I make a fourth 1/1 and attack you to 14, and you get a fifth counter. I make a fifth 1/1 and attack you to 10, and you play Tezzeret and make a 1/1. I attack you to 6, with you trading your token for one of mine, then you make another 1/1. I attack you to 3, with you trading your token for one of mine, then you make another 1/1. I attack you to 1, trading a token with you, then you make a 1/1. I then kill you just in time. OTD I am too slow to do this, so I Port you each turn and we draw. WD

10. alphastryk: Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod, Thopter Foundry, Sword of the Meek
    OTP I can stop you from playing anything, but OTD 2 1/1s per turn beats 1 1/1 per turn. DL

11. FTW: Khalni Garden, Colossus Hammer, Plains, Sigarda's Aid
    OTP we draw, but OTD you are too fast. DL

2W 4D 12L = 10

It seems I was in too much of a rush this week to read Earthcraft, revealing a hole in my normal method of writing down decks without the lands when I think of them since lands get banned so often in this format.
    Last edited by RoosterCocoa; 07-10-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Feb 2014

@Rooster, OTP shouldn't you get draws vs FTW, Reeplcheep and alphastryk?

9. me: ​ ​ ​ Otawara, Soaring City ​ , ​ Piracy Charm ​ , ​ Sand Silos ​ , ​ Tezzeret, Artifice Master

2. dte: Blooming Marsh, Chatter of the Squirrel, Pendelhaven, Mind rake ​ WW 6-0

if you attack while I have 3 Thopters on defense, then I can force a trade of
    at most 2 Thopters for at least 1 attacker without letting damage through:

If you single-attack, then I triple-block, killing the attacker at the cost of at most 2 blockers.
    If you double-attack, then I single-block both, killing whichever Squirrel you don't pump.
    Neither of these results in damage getting through.

after you attack, 1 Squirrel vs 1 Thopter while Tezz is still on the battlefield is a win for me:

The Thopter I already have attacks you in the air, while Tezz
    keeps making new Thopters to chump-block your Squirrel.

going from 2 to 3 Thopters wins for me:

Me doing that means it's my turn and Tezz is on the battlefield, so I leave the Thopters
    on defense and if you don't attack, then Tezz keeps making Thopters for a win.
    Thus you do attack. ​ I trade 2-for-1 without letting damage through,
    which leaves 1v1 with Tezz still on the battlefield.

I claim I get WW, so suppose I am OTD. ​ On T1, I play Sand Silos. ​ I hold Otawara and
    Piracy Charm until you have cast something, and discard them to Mind Rake if you cast
    that before Chatter. ​ Even with just Sand Silos, I cast Tezz no later than T7. ​ ​ ​ You can't deal
    more than 3 damage to him before he ​ +1 s ​ twice, and can't deal more than 6 total to him
    before he ​ +1 s ​ again, so the only way you might not lose to me going from 2 to 3 Thopters
    is bringing me to 0 or less life before my T9. ​ ​ ​ A T2 Squirrel would deal 7 damage
    before my T9, so is more than worth missing a single pump. ​ Thus, Chatter on T1+T2
    deals more damage to me before my T9 than anything else you can do. ​ That deals
    1 damage on T2 and 3 damage on each subsequent turn, for a total of 22 damage in time.
    That reaches 20 damage _just barely_ in time, so you can't slow down by a full turn,
    and can't let me speed up by a turn. ​ In particular, you must Chatter on T1.

As a result, you must also cast T2 Mind Rake, since otherwise T2 Otawara Charm in discard
    mode stops Mind Rake while speeding me up by a turn due to the extra mana from Otawara.
    A T3 Squirrel would deal 6 damage before my T9, so is more than worth missing a single pump.
    Thus, subject to T2 Mind Rake, Chatter on T1+T3 deals more damage to me before my T9
    than anything else you can do. ​ That deals 2 damage total from T2+T3 and 3 damage
    on each subsequent turn, which reaches exactly 20 damage just barely in time.
    In particular, until I block (losing a Thopter), you can't slow down _at all_ and can't attack Tezz.
    Thus, you double-attack while I have 3 life and 2 Thopters. ​ I block both,
    killing whichever one you don't pump without letting damage through.
    Tezz makes a Thopter, going to 8 loyalty, and I let your next attack through.
    Tezz and I both survive that attack, resulting in 1v1 while
    Tezz is still on the battlefield, which is a win for me.

3. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Culling the Weak, Paradox Zone, Khalni Garden ​ WW 6-0
    T1 discard beats T2 combo. ​ (and T1 removal also beats _this_ T2 combo)

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Raze, Mercadian Bazaar, Sarkhan the Masterless ​ LL 0-6

I definitely can't beat [Mountain + Raze + anything else to discard], since Razing my
    storage land stops me from casting my threat. ​ It seems to me that your threat is sufficiently
    better than mine that I can't even draw here, despite the possibility of Channeling Otawara.

1. Asthereal (TO): Angel's Grace, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Rustvale Bridge ​ DL 1-4
    and
    5. jfb1337: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Angel's Grace, Rustvale Bridge ​ DL 1-4
    and
    8. maxx!: Rustvale Bridge, Angel's Grace, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan ​ DL 1-4

When I am OTD, you save 1 Pact for Piracy Charm
    and your Titan wins before I can do anything else.

when I am OTP, I don't lose:
    I play T1 Snd Silos and T2 Otawara. ​ If you do nothing, then I bring Sand Silos to 7 and
    win with Thopters. ​ Waiting doesn't help you, since I just get more storage counters or
    [loyalty and Thopters]. ​ Thus you cast one or both Pacts before your T2. ​ If you cast both,
    then you lose to Piracy Charm in discard mode. ​ Thus you cast exactly 1 Pact before
    your T2. ​ Casting the other later would cause you to lose, so you don't. ​ Your Titan deals
    16 damage to me before my T6. I cast T6 Tezz and chump-block your Titan forever.

when I am OTP, I don't win:
    If I don't play Otawara before my T2 end step, then you then you make both
    Titans during that end step and they win for you before I can do anything.
    Thus I play Otawara before that. ​ If you You cast 1 Pact and keep
    the other to discard to Piracy Charm. ​ Your T6 attack would win,
    so I have to chump-block forever and can't attack back.

6. RoosterCocoa: Havenwood Battleground, Rishadan Port, Squirrel Nest, Earthcraft ​ LL 0-6

Even though Earthcraft is dead, I definitely can't win, since you can discard it to Piracy Charm
    and Port can stop me from casting my threat. ​ I've tried some lines, and it seems to me
    that I'm just too slow here to even draw, despite the option of Channeling Otawara
    to get rid of Squirrel nest after it has already made some number of Squirrels

7. silkster: City of Brass, Spiritual Visit, Spell Pierce, Alpine Moon ​ DD 2-2

Alpine Moon choosing my storage land means I can't bounce it with Otawara or
    make my my threat, so I don't win. ​ Making your threat leaves you tapped out
    (can't Pierce), so Piracy Charm's removal mode means you don't win.

9. Phasmoid: Otawara, Soaring City, Piracy Charm, Sand Silos, Tezzeret, Artifice Master
    This is me.

10. alphastryk: Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod, Thopter Foundry, Sword of the Meek ​ LL 0-6

alphastryk's deck still functions after Sword of the Meek
    is discarded, and nothing seems to work for me here.

11. FTW: Khalni Garden, Colossus Hammer, Plains, Sigarda's Aid ​ WW 6-0
    T1 discard beats T2 combo. ​ (and T1 removal also beats _this_ T2 combo)

3 LL ​ + ​ 3 DL ​ + ​ 1 DD ​ + ​ 3 WW ​ ​ ​ = ​ ​ ​ 23 points
    Last edited by Phasmoid; 07-10-2022 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Pact is an Instant

Feb 2014

@Phasmoid: I agree with your analysis, you should WW our MU.

On the other hand, pact is an instant, so you have to play Otawa, so you should DL them?

@dte: ​ ah, right

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's - and others's - scores for round no inspiration so let's finally get Pact banned:

1. Asthereal (TO): Angel's Grace, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Rustvale Bridge <-me
    2. dte: Blooming Marsh, Chatter of the Squirrel, Pendelhaven, Mind rake WL
    3. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Culling the Weak, Paradox Zone, Khalni Garden LL
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Mountain, Raze, Mercadian Bazaar, Sarkhan the Masterless WW
    5. jfb1337: Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan, Angel's Grace, Rustvale Bridge DD
    6. RoosterCocoa: Havenwood Battleground, Rishadan Port, Squirrel Nest, Earthcraft WW
    7. silkster: City of Brass, Spiritual Visit, Spell Pierce, Alpine Moon WW
    8. maxx!: Rustvale Bridge, Angel's Grace, Pact of the Titan, Pact of the Titan DD
    9. Phasmoid: Otawara, Soaring City, Piracy Charm, Sand Silos, Tezzeret, Artifice Master WD
    10. alphastryk: Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod, Thopter Foundry, Sword of the Meek WL
    11. FTW: Khalni Garden, Colossus Hammer, Plains, Sigarda's Aid LL

Total: 32 points. We did it! We got the Pact banned after it warping the meta for like five weeks straight.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    @Rooster, OTP shouldn't you get draws vs FTW, Reeplcheep and alphastryk?
    You're right, I was just too salty after seeing how I messed up this week to go over the matchups carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    6. RoosterCocoa: Havenwood Battleground, Rishadan Port, Squirrel Nest, Earthcraft

OTP I play Battleground, then you play Silos. I play Squirrel Nest, then you put a counter on Silos. I make a 1/1, then you get a second counter. I make a second 1/1 and attack you to 19, and you get a third counter. I make a third 1/1 and attack you to 17, and you get a fourth counter. I make a fourth 1/1 and attack you to 14, and you get a fifth counter. I make a fifth 1/1 and attack you to 10, and you play Tezzeret and make a 1/1. I attack you to 6, with you trading your token for one of mine, then you make another 1/1. I attack you to 3, with you trading your token for one of mine, then you make another 1/1. I attack you to 1, trading a token with you, then you make a 1/1. I then kill you just in time. OTD I am too slow to do this, so I Port you each turn and we draw. WD

Tezzeret doesn't stop you from continuing to make Squirrels, so I think you win both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Total: 32 points. We did it! We got the Pact banned after it warping the meta for like five weeks straight.
    At least it didn't take until the _very last_ round, when the banning
    no longer matters, unlike Goblin Welder in I forget which season. ​ :-)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    Tezzeret doesn't stop you from continuing to make Squirrels, so I think you win both of these.
    Both make one token per turn, Charm can kill one (or discard Earthcraft, which is worse), but the squirrels start to amass much earlier.
    Port can't stop the squirrels either, so it's just a matter of who is faster.

P: Silos
    R: Battleground
    P: Silo=1, other land
    R: Port, sac Battleground to cast Nest on the Port
    P: Silo=2
    R: Make token, EOT Charm kills it
    P: Silo=3
    R: Make token
    P: Silo=4
    R: Attack, make 2nd token
    P: Cast Tezz, make 1st token
    R: Attack with 2 tokens, make 3rd token
    From here, both make 1 1/1 token per turn, and the squirrels are always with 2 extra, so the squirrels win, unless I'm missing something. I think Phasmoid's right.

Feb 2014

And what happened in Silk vs Rooster, with Rooster OTP?

Does Alpine moon naming port makes it unable to make squirrels, even if nest is played afterwards?

This is where I am not sure about timestamps, etc.

It does affect the bannings, whether Silk goes aver 30 or not.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Assuming the above resolves the last result that might have been wrong in the sheet, here's standings for round 14:
    1. Reeplcheep: 37 - 3,7
    1. FTW: 37 - 3,7
    3. Asthereal (TO): 32 - 3,2
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: 32 - 3,2
    3. jfb1337: 32 - 3,2
    3. maxx!: 32 - 3,2
    7. silkster: 29 - 2,9
    8. dte: 27 - 2,7
    9. Phasmoid: 23 - 2,3
    10. alphastryk: 22 - 2,2
    11. RoosterCocoa: 12 - 1,2

Which leads to these bannings:
    Angel's Grace
    Colossus Hammer
    Culling the Weak
    Khalni Garden
    Mercadian Bazaar
    Pact of the Titan
    Paradox Zone
    Raze
    Rustvale Bridge
    Sarkhan the Masterless
    Sigarda's Aid

And the season standings look as follows:
    1. dte: 50,2
    2. silkster: 47,4
    3. FTW: 45,5
    4. maxx!: 42,7
    5. RoosterCocoa: 42,6
    6. Asthereal (TO): 39,8
    7. Reeplcheep: 39
    8. GoblinSmashmaster: 34,3
    9. alphastryk: 33,5
    10. Phasmoid: 31,3
    11. jfb1337: 10,7
    12. Nasst: 6,1

So dte still leads, as has been the case for more or less the whole season, but silk is still within striking distance, so nothing's decided yet. Even FTW can theoretically still win, but that's the longest of longshots. Other fights are closer: maxx! and Rooster are super close for 4th place, and Reep is in my neck for 6th. Also, Phasmoid still has a shot at 9th or maybe even 8th place.

I'll try to build a deck today and hopefully open the final round soonish. I'll probably give you guys a bit of extra time, as this is the last round and there's still lots to fight for.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Okay, time for the final round!

THE FINAL ROUND OF SEASON 12: VINTAGE CREATURELESS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 15, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: THURSDAY the 14th of July at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (Yes, that's an extra day. And it's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night around midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Mountain, Plains, Forest, Shivan Gorge.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S12R15 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

And what happened in Silk vs Rooster, with Rooster OTP?

Does Alpine moon naming port makes it unable to make squirrels, even if nest is played afterwards?

This is where I am not sure about timestamps, etc.

It does affect the bannings, whether Silk goes aver 30 or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://media.wizards.com/2022/downloads/MagicCompRules%2020220708.txt
    613. Interaction of Continuous Effects

613.1. The values of an object’s characteristics are determined by starting with the actual object. For a card, that means the values of the characteristics printed on that card. For a token or a copy of a spell or card, that means the values of the characteristics defined by the effect that created it. Then all applicable continuous effects are applied in a series of layers in the following order:

613.1f Layer 6: Ability-adding effects, keyword counters, ability-removing effects, and ...

613.3. Within layers 2–6, apply effects from characteristic-defining abilities first (see rule 604.3), then all other effects in timestamp order (see rule 613.7). Note that dependency may alter the order in which effects are applied within a layer. (See rule 613.8.)

613.7. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is usually done using a timestamp system. An effect with an earlier timestamp is applied before an effect with a later timestamp.

613.7a A continuous effect generated by a static ability has the same timestamp as the object the static ability is on, or the timestamp of the effect that created the ability, whichever is later. If the effect that created the ability has the later timestamp and the object the ability is on receives a new timestamp, each continuous effect generated by static abilities of that object receives a new timestamp as well, but the relative order of those timestamps remains the same.
    Example: Rune of Flight is an Aura that grants enchanted Equipment “Equipped creature has flying.” A player attaches Rune of Flight to Colossus Hammer, an Equipment with “Equipped creature gets +10/+10 and loses flying.” The ability granted by Rune of Flight shares Rune of Flight’s timestamp because it is later than Colossus Hammer’s timestamp. If Colossus Hammer becomes attached to a creature, both of its abilities receive new timestamps (see rule 613.7e), but the relative order of those timestamps remains the same.

613.8. Within a layer or sublayer, determining which order effects are applied in is sometimes done using a dependency system. If a dependency exists, it will override the timestamp system.

613.8a An effect is said to “depend on” another if (a) it’s applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect; (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability or both effects are from characteristic-defining abilities. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

These are both Layer 6 effects, neither is
    from a characteristic-defining ability, and
    there is no dependency between them.
    Accordingly, the later timestamp wins here. ​ I don't
    know what this means for the result of that game.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Well, I guess the plan to win OTP was to Port the City until death comes. So before that happens, silk will have to make that enchantment. After that, the Nest comes down.

s: City, wait
    R: Port, wait - EOT cast Visit (19)
    s: Port on upkeep (18), attack (19)
    R: Wait and then Port on upkeep until dead? That doesn't work. So it must be:

s: City, cast Moon on Port
    s: Port, cast Nest and proceed to make dozens of tokens.

Rooster wins OTP by the looks of things.

Sep 2011

I should have explained this better before.

Rishadan Port on City of Brass races the 1/1 Spirit.

Silkster will die to Port unless proactively casting Alpine Moon on Port. Also, it must happen before Rooster's T2 (after that, upkeep Port stops it).

With Rooster OTP, if silkster casts Alpine Moon on Port, Rooster can cast Squirrel Nest on Port (silkster is tapped out of Spell Pierce). Squirrel Nest has a later time stamp so it is not affected by Alpine Moon. Squirrels beat 1 token.
    With Rooster OTD, silkster can T1 Alpine Moon on Port and then untap (hold up Spell Pierce) before Rooster can play T2 Squirrel Nest.

Sep 2011

I do not get this.
    Silk does not care about nest, because moon beats it?

Silk OTD:
    T1 land
    T1 land, token 1/1.
    Now Rooster can play a nest, but the moon next turn will not let it make squirrels.
    T1 land
    T1 land, 1/1 [s=19]

T2 Port
    T2 upkeep Port City [S=18], 1/1 attacks [R=19]

The 1/1 loses this race.

Feb 2014

Edit: fully answered above. Timestamps prime.

Feb 2014

I did not realise the deadline / lists publication was tomorrow*for the last round.*
    Meanwhile I wanted to talk about the ideas for the next season.
    Also there was this proposition from Phasmoid:
    My personal preference is, I guess I would call it 1-card starting hand:

Instead of players starting with all 4 of their *cards in hand, they start with 1 in hand
    and 3 in their library, with what-starts-where determined as part of deck submission.
    Specifically, decklists would be sent in the order
    card_in_hand , top_of_library , middle_of_library , bottom_of_library .
    This way, being on-the-draw would be real, rather than just not being on-the-play.
    And this one from Silkster:
    Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    The last few seasons have come from taking single rounds from a Deviant season and making them into banathons. Creatures-only was a fun found, and made for a great banathon, and the natural next thing to do was to do the opposite and do creatureless. If I had to choose one right now, without too much reflection, I think I would do a WURBG season: You start with WUBRG in your mana pool and this mana is not lost as steps and phases end.
    But I am sure Silkster would also have other plans, with a little more time for reflection ;)

The two I would propose, for 8 rounds seasons:
    Legacy banlist, no additional bans.
    I have the feeling that a lot of the same strategies are at play: LD, targeted discard, mass discard. I propose a few rules that remove them.
    Rules :Two main rules:If an effect controlled by an opponent would force one or more cards out of your hand, you can choose and discard a card instead.All lands gain "0:phasing".
    And I would add:If an effect causes you to win the game, it does nothing instead.
    If an effect controlled by an opponent allows you to find a basic land in your library, you can find the basic land of your choice.Possible bans for 1+ cards in each deck that score 3+ (objectif of renewal without making a very long banlist).*

Backbuild.
    I think that could be crazy fun, and the best chance to see truly new cards and strategies. By far my favourite option. Trouble of last one played was "the imitation game", having a deck close to the one that needed to be beaten was a great option. If all cards in the previous decks are banned and we do not know which one the others are beating, that is gone, and we are back to "do your worst".
    Rules:Each card in decks that score 3+ is banned for the remainder of the season.Each round, to be legal a deck should be able to beat one of the top 3 decks of previous rounds (TO choses in case of equality).

Thread Information