Thread: Do you use "mascot" cards?

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

Do you use "mascot" cards?

I do, sometimes.

Mascot is a sub-standard or obsolete creature card. Just 1 in main or SB - sided-in in unwinnable matches.

Some typical examples:
    Pearled Unicorn
    Ironroot Treefolk
    Dwarven Warriors
    Scavenging Scarab
    Storm Crow
    Coiled Tinviper
    etc.

Surprisingly, it works sometimes out of pure luck. Also, there is the WTF factor: opponent can't believe what he is playing against and feels uncomfortable about possible loss.
    My decks from real paper cards:

[Modern] Green Deathtouch
    [Vintage] Suicide Red
    [Casual Legacy] Blood Bats
    [Legacy] White Suspend Aggro Control

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: Do you use "mascot" cards?

I play a Library of Leng or Lhurgoyf in almost every Vintage deck I build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Dwarf View Post
    Surprisingly, it works sometimes out of pure luck. Also, there is the WTF factor: opponent can't believe what he is playing against and feels uncomfortable about possible loss.
    Well, I'm pretty sure LSV often does this sort of thing. Includes a couple "fun-ofs" in the sideboard, to catch people off guard.

You'd honestly probably do a good bit better by including "more objectively powerful" cards instead. So, a 3 mana 2/2 might win a game, but really a 2 mana 2/2 would likely do even better, in this case. I don't really think it's too much that Pearled Unicorn is really "worth" running, just that a 3 mana creature might happen to be what the doctor ordered. Honestly, think of what might happen if it was something like Aven Mindcensor, or something else that just might happen to randomly hose an opponent.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've run more than my fair share of Giant Solifuge in Maverick/Nic Fit decks. Also got top 8 of an open with a Stillmoon Cavalier in deadguy once, but that was just because I wanted a man who could block Griselbrand, Marit Lage, and hoses DnT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I've run more than my fair share of Giant Solifuge in Maverick/Nic Fit decks. Also got top 8 of an open with a Stillmoon Cavalier in deadguy once, but that was just because I wanted a man who could block Griselbrand, Marit Lage, and hoses DnT.
    Yeah, I mean, "the man plan" or "rando-dudes" often just works because bodies do things, where situational spells often might do nothing at all. In this sense though, indeed, "random dude" is likely better off not being "I literally hit random on gatherer" and like you say, a creature with actual game-wise "upside."

When our meta was slanted toward Blue, I'd often toss a Thrun, the Last Troll in my sideboard and randomly win games with it. But, later the printing of TNN meant more people were playing things like Edict. But before that the card would win sometimes just on the merit of being totally not what anyone realistically was expecting.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    That's awesome! Both of those cards have captivated me in the past. When modern first started I did a Deadguy-ish deck with Stillmoon + Sword of Fired and Ice + Quest for the Holy Relic. Protection from everything but green! Giant Solifuge is just a monster, the only thing outclassing it is Thrun (which doesn't see any play anymore, sadly.) I like the cut of your jib.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I've won blue dual lands in multiple tournaments with these cards (links to resources):

Polar Kraken
    Ali from Cairo
    All Hallow's Eve

Those are my three.

I'll do this to lower the power level of Commander decks.

Deck too good? Then play a certain number of Frozen Shade, Poultrygeist, Scathe Zombies, Crimson Hellkite, Pearled Unicorn, Bird Maiden, Merfolk of the Pearl Trident, Grizzly Bears, Zephyr Falcon, et cetera.

That way when you combo off or something, people can't complain because you just hold up a Mons's Goblin Raiders or something in response.

In competitive Magic there are cards that I have a particular liking for and play for a while, but only because I think they'll help me win. Especially in Standard; I've gone seasons being the only person I've seen play certain cards. A while ago it was Unsubstantiate and Supreme Will. Now it's Heartless Pillage and Carnival // Carnage.

Thread Information