Thread: [SCD]Prismatic Vista aka omni-Fetch

May 2015
    PDX

[SCD]Prismatic Vista aka omni-Fetch

Prismatic Vista Tap, sac & pay life and grab any Basic supertype.

This card primarily belongs to the UW family of decks (as no other Ux deck can profitably deal with CB), so I'll focus on this context primarily. The current Fetch count in UW/UWx runs around 9, and as a general rule it's:
    4x Strand
    4x blue Fetch (Tarn mostly)
    1x Mesa

Parsing this:
    8x basic Island finders
    5x basic Plains finders
    5x basic Mountain finders

The knee-jerk update would be -1 Mesa and -3 Tarn for 4x Vista [scenario A]; but I think the optimal change is paradoxically -1 Mesa and -1 Tarn and -2 Strand [scenario B]. To explain:
    [A]
    9x basic Island finders (max)
    8x basic Plains finders (+3 over current)
    5x basic Mountain finders (no change over current)
    [B]
    9x basic Island finders (max)
    6x basic Plains finders (+1 over current)
    7x basic Mountain finders (+2 over current)

In [A] the pilot must still play heavy into Wasteland with 1-2 loss-inducing Volcanic Island main. In [B] you play 0x Volc, and are comfortable with basic Mountain sideboarded (8 hits towards red mana, as you board in the Mountain itself). In either [A] or [B] Tundras to be played at 1x (optimal number at this point, maybe).

This optimization exploit can be used to assess any primarily 2c deck manabase; so interested in other decks view of this new Fetch. Another discussion point pertains to the death (?) of mono-color brewing (for example mono-U Delver thread) due to this omni-Fetch and diminished need to own a single [blue] Dual.

Also while we're on the topic of omni-Fetch, the ramifications of [B] optimization allow us to read the upcoming Archmage Charm (UUU: counterspell, draw 2, or gain control of cmc 0-1 nonland) as having basically the exact same playability as Cryptic Command - you're not casting Archmage before turn 4 (opening triple Island isn't happening with upcoming focus on basic land dynamics).

Edit: there could also be a 2x Tundra variation on [B] with -1 Tarn +1 Mesa, which maintains red mana finding count, with intent of gaining +1 slot access to basic Plains.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: [SCD]Prismatic Vista aka omni-Fetch

This is my favorite card in the set. Personally, I'm going to be brewing with it in Eldrazi decks, since Eldrazi + a color hasn't been so elegant before.

If your example above pertains to Miracles, I'd go with two Tundras, since having the ability to set up to play Counterspell and Council's Judgment is pretty powerful. In matchups where Back to Basics isn't strong, Tundras are better than basics.

This is my favorite card too. I’m more inclined to go full two color, no duals, 8 fetches that finds both basics. This seems so strong!

this allows to go very low on duals and makes B2B worse.

it definitely is a 4 of in bicolors, but in 3 colors it’s very dangerous

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    This is my favorite card in the set. Personally, I'm going to be brewing with it in Eldrazi decks, since Eldrazi + a color hasn't been so elegant before.

If your example above pertains to Miracles, I'd go with two Tundras, since having the ability to set up to play Counterspell and Council's Judgment is pretty powerful. In matchups where Back to Basics isn't strong, Tundras are better than basics.
    A "colored" Eldrazi deck is also where I'm interested in this card. Makes me want to play Blood Moon Eldrazi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

My second favorite after morophon, I want to run it with destructive flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

This may be obvious but still: reducing dependency on duals in two color decks to possibly zero would make the format much more accessible. Hooray!

Even if it doesn't reduce dual dependency to zero in any deck, it still probably becomes much easier to build budget versions.

I think the biggest impact this will have is for colorless decks, as commented on above. Which doesn't mean they will be close to broken or anything, it just makes a bigger change for those types of lists. I've splashed for colorless in a two color deck, will see how that goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    This card primarily belongs to the UW family of decks (as no other Ux deck can profitably deal with CB), so I'll focus on this context primarily.
    I didn't get this part, what does Counterbalance have to do with Prismatic Vista?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    I didn't get this part, what does Counterbalance have to do with Prismatic Vista?
    No Ux deck has ever had a favorable matchup vs the card CB, b/c outside of Boseju there is no reliable answer. Vista will allow for more affordable construction of Ux - which all auto-lose lose to CB. One of the only ways Ux wins games vs CB is mana screw, and Vista puts a stop to that - but the key here is Vista encourages deckbuilding which are inherent byes for CB.

With Vista every Ux deck can use the basic Mountain SB trick and pack 3x REB effects, basically for free (other than SB slots). The issue is that REB is not a reliable card vs CB.

So the progression is Vista boosts SB REB/Mountain plan, paired with largely unassailable mana. Vista removes almost all opening hands that lose the game b/c the hand hand 1+ dual lands (this is where most of miracles' avoidable losses come from). This is a dangerous combo: same access to REB + even better mana + more easy matches. Vista boosts CB.

Thread Information