Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Primer] Legacy High Tide Primer

Re: [Primer] Legacy High Tide Primer

Quote Originally Posted by chaosumbreon87 View Post
    Candelabra of Tawnos + Capsize - This interaction has previously been noted. Capsize is a common sideboard choice primarily because of this interaction. After casting a High Tide and beginning to combo, these allow the player to generate infinite mana and storm by using Candelabra to generate mana, which is used to cast Capsize targeting Candelabra, return Capsize to your hand, and recast Candelabra. Once you have made your arbitrarily large amount of mana, it’s just a matter of digging to your win condition.
    How many lands does it take to actually go infinite with this combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Asses View Post
    How many lands does it take to actually go infinite with this combo?
    If you want to untap 4 lands with Candelabra and capsize it takes 11 mana. So, you need 4 lands and two HT to make 12 mana and go infinite.
    That's the most common situation. I let you do the maths in the other cases

some also like Tropical Island and Growth Spiral in this deck. Green allows many cool plays in SB and Manamorphose which can be still very relevant

Urza’s Rage + Split Decision is GG

I think green splash for growth spiral and veil of summer are the big two. Hunting pack is also a viable sb Choice, but I’ve never honestly had a point when it mattered (it’s been on my sb for ages now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    I think green splash for growth spiral and veil of summer are the big two.
    What would a decklist look like now that Veil of Summer is a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    Hunting pack is also a viable sb Choice, but I’ve never honestly had a point when it mattered (it’s been on my sb for ages now)
    I don't understand. The card doesn't matter but you never changed your side?

Quote Originally Posted by TiMeWaLk View Post
    If you want to untap 4 lands with Candelabra and capsize it takes 11 mana. So, you need 4 lands and two HT to make 12 mana and go infinite.
    That's the most common situation. I let you do the maths in the other cases
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23656&d=364137&f=LE

I just saw this list from about a month ago. Looks like they're running Ice-Fang Coatl, Veil and Fae of Wishes as well as 1 Trop and 1 basic forest. I don't see any Growth Spiral though.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    some also like Tropical Island and Growth Spiral in this deck. Green allows many cool plays in SB and Manamorphose which can be still very relevant

Urza’s Rage + Split Decision is GG
    Retraced image can also be an option: is card disadvantage but it's faster and easier to re-play in combo turn.
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post

I don't understand. The card doesn't matter but you never changed your side?
    Yea I normally play on paper at the locals. I have hunting pack as an out against some form of hexproofed player defense of some sort. It sits there as an out, but no one here apparently uses that sort of sideboard hate.

On the other hand, I did actually take it out recently, so that’s something. I think mystic sanctuary is also worth talking about here. Using fetches to enable counterbalance (if applicable), or to ensure you pick up cantrips, or to go with ghostly flicker to constantly rebuy cards back on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

I've always enjoyed the High Tide/Reset decks and it was really cool to watch Feline playing.

But nowadays, the meta seems so fucked up and so boring to play against, that with the value of Candelabras, it's almost impossible to come up with this list on paper to play and the odds of winning are low. Even without the Candelabras, the list doesn't seem to win even half of the games that you'll play.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the unique archetype of these lists and would love to have my own. It's just sad how it's succumbing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mulletsss View Post
    I've always enjoyed the High Tide/Reset decks and it was really cool to watch Feline playing.

But nowadays, the meta seems so fucked up and so boring to play against, that with the value of Candelabras, it's almost impossible to come up with this list on paper to play and the odds of winning are low. Even without the Candelabras, the list doesn't seem to win even half of the games that you'll play.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the unique archetype of these lists and would love to have my own. It's just sad how it's succumbing right now.
    Man, I suggest you get a little bit into a actual picture of the situation ;-) yea, the deck isn´t a tier 1 monster but nowadays the slow Oko-control decks, fast combos and DnT make High Tide very much playable. Just read things that Marcus Ewaldh (aka iwouldliketorespond) write actually about it (f.e. https://www.theepicstorm.com/spiral-tide-i/ ) or join the discord. Source is dying out. The problem of High Tide is that it is super hard to learn and to understand its position and strategy in certain matchups (4C Control can be pain in the ass, Counterbalance Miracles also but they are not an issue anymore). And Candelabras? The are not played for quite a long time and not because of their price but because the deck moved little bit from a "fast" consistent combo (Candelabra helped a lot with it) to more slowish and controlish version with Predicts, Meditates or Accumulated Knowledge.

Not saying it is easy play or that it is super well possitioned, but I think this deck has its place in current meta if you are willing to invest TIME (not money) in it. )

Good Luck with High Tide :-)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

happy to necro the thread for this.

bösium strip

it's a deterministic kill for high tide, which i'm not sure it's had in mono blue before.

how does this card work? as long as the top card of your graveyard is an instant or sorcery, it has flashback.

i'll give a goldfish scenario to simplify this.

turn 4. you cast high tide and time spiral.

let's say you draw merchant scroll and bösium strip.

cast merchant scroll #1, get turnabout #1. cast turnabout #1 (float UU)

cast bösium strip, activate it. (2 islands untapped). flashback turnabout #1.

flashback merchant scroll #1 for merchant scroll #2. (0 left, but 4 islands untapped))

cast merchant scroll #2 for turnabout #2. cast turnabout #2 (2 UU floating), flashback turnabout #2 (6 floating)

flashback merchant scroll #2 to get merchant scroll #3. at this point you can already win by getting brain freeze and flashing back brain freeze. you can do more stuff instead if you really need to.

strategy is obviously a bit weaker to graveyard hate, however you don't have to draw a single card, so it is a way to win through a narset/leovold.

oops! didn't realize scroll can't get another scroll.

scroll can get an intuition, which can get some untap effects and go off from there, but i gotta rethink what are the mana requirements.
    will edit later.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 05-27-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    -rob

Lorien Revealed
    Mind’s Desire
    Fae of Wishes
    Dress Down (sideboard)

I believe is enough to revive this deck.

Here is an excellent video (though the below list would be improved by Lorien Revealed imo)…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDQsC16ZZnc

Thread Information