Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emry Stompy

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: Emry Stompy

Narset and wheels seems good enough on its own for winning games.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

yup LED Narset and Echo can lead to crazy happenings

anyway we’re playing 3 Pyoroblast and 3 RiP. We can just add a couple of Null Rod to seal it

Is this thread for every Emry Stompy build, every Narset-Echo artifact build, or for both only? Bc i've spent the last two weeks testing many configuration of this deck and similar variants, starting with one of the first that has used this configuration, the painter one.

For the build in the OP specifically, i've came to the conclusion that the perfect card for the gameplay is Teferi, Time Raveler. But i'll wait the response from the op

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    For the build in the OP specifically, i've came to the conclusion that the perfect card for the gameplay is Teferi, Time Raveler. But i'll wait the response from the op
    What's your manabase like to support Teferi? I want to test Oko in the deck too but I'm not sure what's the best way to build it. Maybe fetches, but the deck has felt nice with loads of basics.

Teferi does sound quite strong in the deck too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    What's your manabase like to support Teferi? I want to test Oko in the deck too but I'm not sure what's the best way to build it. Maybe fetches, but the deck has felt nice with loads of basics.

Teferi does sound quite strong in the deck too.
    I have been pondering a white-splashed build aswell (currently playing mono u).

I would run roughly this as a manabase:

3-4 Ancient Tomb
    1-2 City of Traitors
    4 Prismatic Vista
    3 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Seat of the Synod
    1-2 Karakas

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 LED

I could see reason to run a couple of Skycloud Expanse for the Tomb openers into turn 2 Teferi, Tundras are too low reward here imo.

Oko seems better suited for a more controllish build, but I might be wrong.
    Last edited by Tucane; 11-11-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Nice deck. Ik hope it devellops futher. Emry is such a house.

The white splash is centaintly interesting to analyse futher.

Personally i thought immediately of a black splash, baleful strix seems a lot of value in combination of emry. Im also tempting to test the other karn. Master of etherium and cranial plating works also nice and could go tried out in a more aggro (and less combo) version of the deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Karakas seems interesting as both defensive option against other legends and to bounce Urza/Emry for more ETB value. But it might clash with the blue-heavy casting costs of the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Karakas seems interesting as both defensive option against other legends and to bounce Urza/Emry for more ETB value. But it might clash with the blue-heavy casting costs of the deck.
    Running 1-of Karakas in Mono U, currently testing MD Mystic Forge and less baubles. Might be the most fun I've had with a deck in a long time.

Creatures:8
    4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch
    4 Urza, Lord High Artificer

Spells:35
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Mox Amber
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    3 Mystic Forge
    4 Echo of Eons

Lands:18
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    7 Island
    1 Karakas
    4 Seat of the Synod

Sideboard:15
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Force of Will
    1 Mycosynth Lattice

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

The deck is a blast for sure.

I had a Forge as a Karn wish target for a bit but it underperformed since all the best cards in the deck apart from more Karns and situationally Chalice aren't colourless. The best argument for Forges in the main though is it being a higher impact card to mill and play with Emry, I've been looking for other alternatives for this.

I also tried Transmute Artifacts with Forge and Paradox Engine as the main targets, so with Urza it's not deterministic but you usually cast your deck with PE in play, Transmute was quite nice with LED too as you can cast it and hold Pri crack LED to pay the extra costs, but I think it's a bit cute ultimately. Narset + LED + Echo is incredibly busted, the deck feels like it needs some unfair angle.

Currently been getting friends to try Oko as I've not been able to play much myself since the weekend and reports have been lackluster, in the end it's probably best to stay mono colour. Karakas seems nice, though, even in mono blue. I'll give one a try.

How have Mox Ambers been?
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    The deck is a blast for sure.

I had a Forge as a Karn wish target for a bit but it underperformed since all the best cards in the deck apart from more Karns and situationally Chalice aren't colourless. The best argument for Forges in the main though is it being a higher impact card to mill and play with Emry, I've been looking for other alternatives for this.

I also tried Transmute Artifacts with Forge and Paradox Engine as the main targets, so with Urza it's not deterministic but you usually cast your deck with PE in play, Transmute was quite nice with LED too as you can cast it and hold Pri crack LED to pay the extra costs, but I think it's a bit cute ultimately. Narset + LED + Echo is incredibly busted, the deck feels like it needs some unfair angle.

Currently been getting friends to try Oko as I've not been able to play much myself since the weekend and reports have been lackluster, in the end it's probably best to stay mono colour. Karakas seems nice, though, even in mono blue. I'll give one a try.

How have Mox Ambers been?
    Mox Amber was a lot better than I expected... I dismissed it initially as a pure Modern-card, but decided to try a pair since the legacy pitch-moxen underperformed for me. Might be enough to play 1-of though as the petals and opals are enough most of the time.

I feel that this deck needs slightly more MD interaction vs aggressive strats packing permission/disruption. The best things I can come up with are EE@2 or possibly Bridge?

Karakas is great vs all legendary hatebears (Teeg, Lavinia, Thalia, Leo...) also protecting + recasting Emry is gravy:-)

Might be the case that this deck is too blue for Forges. I've tried close to everything I can think of in mono U to fill out the few available slots, Karn SoU and Sai were the most solid so far... but I think we can do better.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    I feel that this deck needs slightly more MD interaction vs aggressive strats packing permission/disruption. The best things I can come up with are EE@2 or possibly Bridge?

The low amount of interaction looks like a problem for sure. Monoblue cannot be expected to pack a whole lot of interaction. Walking Ballista does work well with Emry and the LED's, maybe consider upping that (it was in one of the sb's). What else is there [edit: in addition to EE], Masticore.. Brazen Borrower isn't an artifact but bounce is at least interaction. Jitte, Sword of X&Y coupled with Sai.

Or splash white for SwP and Teferi TR.
    Last edited by pettdan; 11-14-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    Mox Amber was a lot better than I expected... I dismissed it initially as a pure Modern-card, but decided to try a pair since the legacy pitch-moxen underperformed for me. Might be enough to play 1-of though as the petals and opals are enough most of the time.

Karakas is great vs all legendary hatebears (Teeg, Lavinia, Thalia, Leo...) also protecting + recasting Emry is gravy:-)

Might be the case that this deck is too blue for Forges. I've tried close to everything I can think of in mono U to fill out the few available slots, Karn SoU and Sai were the most solid so far... but I think we can do better.
    Cool, Amber looks pretty good to me so that's nice feedback. I think I'll just try 1 to start though, but we'll see. Emry coming out quickly def helps it.

Agree on the interaction front and I think EE is the answer as you say, obviously fantastic with Emry, and I think it's fine to play even in mono blue. We have Petals, Opals and even LEDs if you have Emry in a pinch. A lot of things we want to answer are 1cmc, and we have nothing to blow up ourselves at 1 or 2cmc. I'll give 2 in the main a shot next but honestly I could see it being so good we add more. Bridge is also a nice one, I've added 2 more to the sb (so 3 total) and they've made the Delver matchup better.

So will give this a run when I can play next. Unsure on a Sai over 4th Urza, but he has been a little awkward in multiples sometimes.

1 Sai, Master Thopterist
    3 Urza, Lord High Artificer

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    1 Mox Amber
    2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    2 Mishra’s Bauble
    2 Urza’s Bauble

4 Echo of Eons

4 Seat of the Synod
    1 Karakas
    2 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    9 Snow-Covered Island

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Faerie Macabre

Dec 2017
    Paris, France

Played at a monthly (sort of) with this list yesterday, 31 players.

https://deckbox.org/sets/2517826
    Ended at 3-3

R1: 2-1 ANT

Chalice on 1 then on 0 are worse for them then for us. Unfortunately, he had a second Echoing Truth (I had exiled the first one with a crypt) while I was probably being overconfident in that third game. Didn't matter, I had Karn and Narset in play as well and that one-turn window closed pretty quick.
    I won the roll so I won the match, basically.

R2: 2-0 Burn

I feel bad about this one. Matchup feels like a bye, especially during the first game. In the second game, my opponent stuck on 2 mana for one turn too many can't handle Emry buying back Chalice over and over (3 smashes). Eventually a Karn shows up and a wurm seals the deal.
    We play 2 extra games for (subjective) fun with sideboard still in. Wurm is just too much for them.

R3: 0-2 UBR Delver

2 mana deathes after a timely Wasteland, nothing much I could have done I suppose.

R4: 1-2 UW Miracles

Game 1 last 2 turns: T1 Chalice T2 Karn before they concede. Game 2 goes much longer, a grid resolves so I feel fine about my Karn's and Narset's in hand. Alas Decree of Justice wins them the game nibbling at my planeswalkers for 6+ turns. Eventually I run out of cards, and they don't thanks to the mistake that Mystic Sanctuary is. Game 3 I vomit my hand, they have a force. Doesn't sound too good. I top-deck an echo and hardcast it on my fourth turn but they have another force. I'm pretty irritated against UW in general so I decide to concede to try and keep a cool head for the rest of the day. At this point I'm not playing for top 8 anymore anyway I suppose lol.
    Opponent tells me I should have kept playing. He had nothing left.

R5: 0-2 UBR Delver

There's still a small chance for top 8 (if I go 4-2), depending on my previous pairings.
    I lose to 1 wasteland, again, in a 8-basics list. Wasteland put me behind enough while 2 flipped start pummeling my face. Game 2 is similar enough, wasteland again, my 2 basics are not enough to cast my hand. I can put an Urza on the stack thanks to a timely city. But that's not enough, they obviously had a second Daze (first one pitched to a force beforehand). NaCl-induced 30 minutes on my side of things.

R6: 2-0 BUG Control

Won against 2 resolved Oko's, on up to 11 counters. AMA
    First game is smooth, threats baiting countermagic, then grid into Narset + Echo.
    Second game is a grindfest, Oko's and Tarmogoyf's against Urza and Karakas activations. They finally find a Wasteland for my Karakas, but the damage is done, I get to untap with 3 robots 8/8 against their lone blocker.
    Pre-emptive -2 for crypt is what won me that second game though to be honest as they ended up having a third Tarmogoyf.

Things I knew I had to play around and confirmed yesterday:

- Play threats like you would play discard, you know your hand. They don't
    - Emry and Karakas for my legendaries, both should act like welders that I'm very used to already in terms of resiliency
    - Cracking baubles shouldn't be automatic, with as few as 4 in my list, being conservative with them to keep Metalcraft is paramount

Things I didn't play around:

- You can't play lands off Emry, RTFC
    - Opponents actually respecting Emry
    - Mishra's Bauble can peek the next reveal against Counterbalance. Shouldn't matter though, they always have Mystic Sanctuary :-(
    - Oko doesn't remove counters on a ballista :>

Things I would (not) change:

- I added 2 Karakas first and foremost for Marit Lage and Thalia with added benefit being protection and/or synergy with my creatures. It's definitely the other way around. Adding a third one further motivates the white splash
    - I would add a second Sai if Delver is more present
    - Defense Grid is not that good against Miracles, especially considering this version is slower than most lists for Echo.dec
    - I wouldn't add a fourth Urza. I played only 3 because missing one, but it felt good (small sample though)
    - Happy with the 5th Sol land too, wouldn't go lower, especially with grids in the main
    Last edited by AngryBacon; 12-27-2019 at 04:42 AM.

I keep seeing this deck popping up a lot. And it is CRAZY good. I have played vs it maybe 20 times and I don't think I have beat it. Urza acts as a Tolarian Academy, Eon acts like a Mind Twist and a draw 7 for your opp, Chalice locks you out, and Karn can grab Lattice and lock you out. It's such a sick deck. It can go on a beat down plan, a fast combo plan, or a prison plan. I think it's the best new deck we have seen in years. And I really can't see trying to splash colors in it, abusing Urza's mana ability is what makes this deck go. Tolarian Academy plus draw 7's. Mind twists and chalice of the void and lattice. INSANEEEEE.

May 2015
    PDX

Yeah, this deck also has a pretty profound problem ever doing anything about an enemy Narset or Karn [which it runs]; Chalice x=0 also pretty disruptive. I would temper the "crazy good" with unable to reliably advance the best player to top tables in a mirror match. The deck will remain a victim of its own success the more played it becomes; this is an important deficit to address.

Hello! I am an Italian player who is going to team up with friends and play this deck at MagicFest Bologna this weekend

This is the list we’re going to play:

Urza Twist’n’Shout

2 Sai, Master Thopterist
    4 Echo of Eons
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Walking Ballista
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    1 City of Traitors
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Seat of the Synod
    7 Island
    //Sideboard
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Damping Sphere
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Defense Grid
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Spellskite
    2 Ghirapur AEther Grid

We still have some doubts on particular choices but the deck is performing well in both playtesting and small tourneaments. We made a couple of 5-0 at mtgo leagues and top8’ed some 20-30 man tourneaments.

A quick brainstorming about sone choices:

No baubles. This is the point in where I have the most doubts. Baubles are a great engine with Emry, giving you fuel every turn. Turns Emry into a must-kill threat just like arcanist and confidant (but this one costs just 1). I recently top8ed a 30 player tournament with a control-ish deck featuring urza, emry, oko fow cantrips and baubles, and emry plus bauble (and strix) was the main reason I won most of games. I would really like to find some room for at least 3 baubles but there isn’t any card I would be happy to trim. Any suggestions?

3 grid MD. I found that the meta post wrenn banning is full of delvers, either ur bug and grixis. Fows and FoNs are everywhere. I really like the idea of playing three protections MD, and the fact that emry digs for them and can repeatedly cast from graveyard is a great addiction to the deck. It adds so much must-counter stuff. Would never play less than the whole playset between main and side. Urza turns them into sky diamonds and Sai generates bodies, so grids are never bad draws even while comboing off.

2 Ghirapur AEther Grid SB. Our forecast is a world full of young pyromancers and thalias, revokers and sanctum prelates. This card can really win all alone the creatures match-ups. The downside is, of course, being red. We have only 4 moxes and 4 petals to cast Ghirapurs, but one is enough and here also emry helps digging and recasting petals. Too greedy?

Thanks for helping us, and keep up with the testing! This deck is really busted 😁

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Has anybody tried Paradox Engine in their 75? It should be able to do some pretty broken things with Emry and Urza.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Has anybody tried Paradox Engine in their 75? It should be able to do some pretty broken things with Emry and Urza.
    I tried Paradox Engine (MD 2 of and 1-of SB) in a build with 8 sol-lands, it was fun as an alternate win route/mana engine... but the issue with it was it didn't do much on it's own so it ended up in the mana/support piece cathegory. Also, it made me want to run Monoliths, so I suspect it's a lot better in Mystic Forge Combo.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Decided to try a list from I think MTGO in the weekly LGS Legacy event. I can't see from the screenshot whose list it is, but anyway here it is, -1 Bauble for a Sai. Also I ran 2 Mindbreak Trap over Mystical Dispute in the sideboard. I've really liked the idea of playing MBT's in blue stompy lists for the past six months (didn't play blue stompy before that). Having it double as t0 combo interaction and a hard counter to Emrakul or any removal from a control deck such as even Abrupt Decay seems great. With the recent printing of Veil of Summer this card is even better...

Maindeck:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    7 Island / Snow-covered Island
    4 Seat of the Synod

4 Mox Opal
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    3 Urza's Bauble

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Echo of Eons

1 Sai, Master Thopterist

Sideboard:
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Walking Ballista
    2 Defense Grid
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mystic Forge
    1 Witchbane Orb
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Wurmcoil Engine

Played Sai over the 8th Bauble. Was great.
    Played two Mindbreak traps over the new blue hate mana leak which I don't have access too, but I'm very fond of MBT in these kinds of lists anyway.

Round 1, Cloudpost 0-2
    Game one is looking good, get a quick start and have Emry, Sai and Urza in hand. Crack a Bauble and see opponent having Phyrexian Metamorph on top of the library. I still run out Urza because I have much more mana and artifacts. Opponent spins it once and topdecks Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger. Good game! ;)
    In the second game I think opponent got out two early permanents that stopped my two threats in hand, spyglass on Karn and something else I forget. Quick loss from there.

Round 2, ANT 1-2
    Ends up being tight games and opponent finds what they need just in time, including winning on the last turn before dying to my attackers off a PiF + LED for blue + 3 cantrips with I think zero cards in hand in g1 - and a t2 Hurkyl's recall in g3 bouncing my artifacts and winning from there. Oh well, that's what storm does.

Round 3, DnT 0-2 or 1-2
    In game one I get ported and wasted out of playing anything. Don't recall the other games.

Round 4, Goblins 1-2
    Game one a Chalice on zero wins that game (yes, maindecked by the Goblins player). Game two I have no lands in my starting hand but keep it hoping for no Leylines and get to turn one 2 Petals and Mopal into Narset, LED's and two Echoes. Game three I misplay and realize just after passing the first turn that I should have dropped my free artifacts because there's no reason not to. Opponent plays a t2 Thorn of Amethyst and I get one turn delay in my following plays, so that my Karn-wished Ballista couldn't keep up with a growing board of goblins.

So, the small misplays I did and forgetting a couple of Bauble triggers and some amount of bad luck helped making this a 0-4, I think my first weekly (second actually) worse than 2-2 for the past 5-ish months. I played Turbo Forge for a while and that seemed stronger but may try this again. Having ramp into Narset feels great. Emry too. I think the small investment-large payback cards are the best.. I would like to try something similar in a BUG control shell though, having Goose, Oko, Decay and FoW too and much less artifacts.
    Last edited by pettdan; 01-08-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Thread Information