Thread: Bouncy Castle (Karakas plus Leyline of Singularity)

Bouncy Castle (Karakas plus Leyline of Singularity)

So the idea is to abuse Karakas plus Leyline of Singularity.

Defensively:
    Bounce one of opponents creatures every turn.
    Leyline limits opposing threats, especially in decks with very few unique wincons like delver/depths/snoko allowing maze of ith/runed halo/kor haven to shine.

Offensively:
    Bounce then recast things with etb triggers like gilded drake.

Edit 1: -1 wall of omens, -1 revoker, -1 thalia, +1 recruiter of the guard, +1 gilded drake, +1 weathered wayfarer.

4 leyline of singularity
    1 venser, shaper savant
    1 palace jailer
    1 mangara of corondor
    1 vendilion clique
    1 mother of runes
    1 giver of runes
    1 meddling mage
    2 recruiter of the guard
    1 Tomik, Distinguished Advokist
    1 hunted phantasm
    1 mirran crusader
    1 flickerwisp
    1 brazen borrower
    2 gilded drake
    1 TNN
    1 watcher for tomorrow
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 smuggler's copter
    1 weathered wayfarer

1 runed halo
    4 force of will
    4 brainstorm
    3 aether vial
    1 pithing needle
    1 sorcerous spyglass

4 karakas
    2 maze of ith
    1 kor haven
    1 eiganjo castle
    1 Minamo, School at Water’s Edge
    1 island
    1 plains
    4 flooded strand
    4 polluted delta
    3 tundra

SB:
    4 rip
    3 fon
    1 pithing needle
    1 Empress Galina
    3 stp
    1 peacekeeper
    2 ensnaring bridge
    Last edited by kinda; 04-17-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Bouncy Castle (Karakas plus Leyline of Singularity)

Some points: If you are playing legendary memes, you need to play Bounty agent.

And the chance of drawing 2 of the same card is pretty low, you should increase all your 1 ofs to 2 ofs so you can cut bad cards.

Honor worn shaku decreases the cost of your entire deck by 1 and immediately lets your leylines tap for mana.

Eijango castle seems decent in this deck.

Good ideas, I completely forgot bounty and castle. Will think on which critters to double up.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Nice deck-theme!

Don't we need some tutors to find karakas or leyline faster/more often?

Best regards

Also play the 4th vial. The 2nd vial is horrible anyways and you want it in all your hands.

Minamo, School at Water’s Edge? It has some applications with Karakas, Aether Vial, Mother/Giver of Runes, and Mangara.

Does this deck need Leyline in the opener or can you live without it? If you need it, have you tried Serum Powder?

Seems like you could boost the number of Recruiters of the Guard. Sometimes a duplicate will die to the legend rule, but the point is mainly the tutoring, not the 1/1 body.

Lavinia, Azorius Renegade could be OK if you’re already digging deep for singleton hatebears in UW. And it’s legendary and pitches to FoW.

I don’t get Runed Halo. Where’s the synergy? Runed Halo doesn’t shine more when there’s only one Goyf compared to when there are four Goys. Yes, Maze of Ith is better when you make Goyfs legendary, but Runed Halo doesn’t care. You also can’t tutor for it so it seems random. Needle and Spyglass are weird for the same reason. They’ll feel great when they shut down the last enemy permanent that could hurt you, but they’re not actually gaining anything from this being a Singularity deck, and you have no way to tutor them. They’re fine cards in general, but that’s all they are here.

Hunted Phantasm is cute but also janky as hell and doesn’t shore up your biggest weakness, which is any situation where you’re without a leyline. Even with a Leyline it’s only situationally better than TNN, which you’ve already got and which is tutorable by Recruiter. I’d cut Phantasm.

Empress Galina is crazy slow but maybe keep it in mind? Fun versus SnT > Emrakul? Not that you’re weak to that anyway...

Weathered Wayfarer gets various utility lands including Karakas and Maze of Ith. It’s also yet another card with Flickerwisp synergy.

I think this deck needs a few tainted pact to find leyline, and 4 cornered market as a backup leyline.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I don't think this Leyline is playable, but I'd be tempted to play Empress Galina here, maybe with Volrath's Shapeshifter to get the activation more easily.

Sep 2011

This deck needs more Oko, Thief of Crowns because

1) Oko is Legendary
    2) You are playing Magic: The Gathering, therefore Oko is good
    3) Elks will legend rule each other.... +1 destroy target creature or artifact

Edit: no they don't
    Last edited by FTW; 04-26-2020 at 12:20 AM.

Are you sure about the Elk interaction? Does Oko actually change the *name* of the permanent being Elked?

You can still play Oko because it’s a good card, but I don’t think the Leyline interaction works the way you want it to.

Edit: If Oko made Elk tokens it would be different.

Edit2: lol at Cornered Market. Now I want to make a terrible deck that’s 4 Cornered Market and one of every permanent that gets hardcast and one of every non basic land in Legacy. One goyf, one astrolabe, one Oko, one of every fetch and blue dual... one Chalice :D

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Are you sure about the Elk interaction? Does Oko actually change the *name* of the permanent being Elked?

You can still play Oko because it’s a good card, but I don’t think the Leyline interaction works the way you want it to.

Edit: If Oko made Elk tokens it would be different.

Edit2: lol at Cornered Market. Now I want to make a terrible deck that’s 4 Cornered Market and one of every permanent that gets hardcast and one of every non basic land in Legacy. One goyf, one astrolabe, one Oko, one of every fetch and blue dual... one Chalice :D
    You're right, it doesn't change the name I think. I thought it did. I'm used to putting 3/3 Elk tokens on everything in paper Magic and Cockatrice, but that's not actually what the card does.

I updated the op with people's suggestions, thanks everyone. Thinking of submitting it as a donation deck soon to one of the streamers.

Some responses to points brought up:

Needle/sorcerous md is mostly due to oko, griselbrand, wasteland. Pretty much every deck is running one of those, cut revoker though since it's not good vs. delver.

The wayfarer inclusion will help to get karakas, not sure if Cornered Market is good enough...

Runed halo benefits just like maze does from leyline unless I'm missing something. They'll be stuck with 1 delver in play and hopefully some in their hand.

Winter Maze

Really think you need to play at least 2 of all your 1 ofs. Look at every single legendary card in legacy that cannot be tutored. Do they play only 1 thalia? or 1 karakas? or 1 urborg? If you aren't running tainted pact I would run 3 of all your non-leyline cards

Here’s what I mean about runed halo. Say they are only allowed to have one delver in play bc the delvers are legendary. Great, runed halo protects you. Now say you don’t have a leyline, so there are 4 delivers in play. Great, runed halo protects you from all 4. Now maybe runed halo is good enough to run, but it doesn’t do a better job in this deck than it would do in, say, DnT. It doesn’t protect you better or worse because you run leyline. If nobody runs it in Legacy, I’m guessing it’s a card that doesn’t pull its weight, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Here’s what I mean about runed halo. Say they are only allowed to have one delver in play bc the delvers are legendary. Great, runed halo protects you. Now say you don’t have a leyline, so there are 4 delivers in play. Great, runed halo protects you from all 4. Now maybe runed halo is good enough to run, but it doesn’t do a better job in this deck than it would do in, say, DnT. It doesn’t protect you better or worse because you run leyline. If nobody runs it in Legacy, I’m guessing it’s a card that doesn’t pull its weight, but I could be wrong.
    Ah got it, I've run it many times in legacy as an enlightened tutor option in the mighty quinn. It reminds me of collective brutality, almost always good but rarely very good. I think it's better in here though, helps set up the pillow fort defense.

@reeple: I agree the one of's count is still too high, but I'm envisioning the deck too be more toolboxy like gsz decks with lots of one of's. Just using bstorm plus recruiter over gsz.

Winter Maze

Since every decks needs a companion now, I spent my lunch jamming Keruga into here...its restriction is very tough, but Keruga will draw you so many cards!

Edit: I forgot simian spirit guide.

4 leyline of the void
    4 leyline of singularity
    4 leyline of sanctity
    4 opalesence
    1 oblivion ring
    1 other o ring

3 trinisphere
    2 brazen borrower
    1 Palace jailer
    2 lavabrink venturer
    1 TNN
    1 hunted phantasm
    1 mirran crusader
    1 venser, shaper savant
    3 rift bolt
    2 Bonecrusher Giant
    2 karn TGC

4 serra's sanctum
    4 ancient tomb
    3 karakas
    12 L

SB:
    1 Keruga, the Macrosage
    4 force of negation
    4 force of will
    1 helm of obedience
    5?

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

You could just fit the bouncy castle combo cleanly into the Leylines deck.

Is there a companion that fits in that deck?

//Leylines: 24
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of Singularity
    3 Leyline of Lifeforce
    3 Leyline of Anticipation
    3 Leyline of Punishment
    3 Leyline of the Meek

//Other Enchantments and Artifacts: 8
    4 Opalescence
    2 Banishing Light
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Heliod, God of the Sun

//Spells: 10
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Crop Rotation
    2 Idyllic Tutor

//Lands: 18
    3 Karakas
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Savannah
    4 Razorverge Thicket
    3 Horizon Canopy

The Legend rule is a bit awkward, but if you use most of the Leylines at 2x or 3x then it should be fine.
    Crop Rotation also helps enable the Karakas combo.

Maybe you could fit in Keruga with these changes:
    - some GW lands
    +4 Ancient Tomb
    -4 Crop Rotation
    -4 ETutor
    +2 Idyllic Tutor
    +4 Karn, the Great Creator

And you could fit in Helm of Obedience as a wincon in the Karn board and Ensnaring Bridges either SB or main. Trinisphere would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    You could just fit the bouncy castle combo cleanly into the Leylines deck.

Is there a companion that fits in that deck?

//Leylines: 24
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of Singularity
    3 Leyline of Lifeforce
    3 Leyline of Anticipation
    3 Leyline of Punishment
    3 Leyline of the Meek

//Other Enchantments and Artifacts: 8
    4 Opalescence
    2 Banishing Light
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Heliod, God of the Sun

//Spells: 10
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Crop Rotation
    2 Idyllic Tutor

//Lands: 18
    3 Karakas
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Savannah
    4 Razorverge Thicket
    3 Horizon Canopy

The Legend rule is a bit awkward, but if you use most of the Leylines at 2x or 3x then it should be fine.
    Crop Rotation also helps enable the Karakas combo.

Maybe you could fit in Keruga with these changes:
    - some GW lands
    +4 Ancient Tomb
    -4 Crop Rotation
    -4 ETutor
    +2 Idyllic Tutor
    +4 Karn, the Great Creator

And you could fit in Helm of Obedience as a wincon in the Karn board and Ensnaring Bridges either SB or main. Trinisphere would be good too.
    The Keruga companion requirement annoyingly is no spells (not just perms) under 3cc. But cutting e tutor/crop for other stuff would work. The potential to draw tons of cards in here (and redraw if you bounce him) using Keruga is worth exploring I think.

Winter Maze

if you are playing keruga and sol lands in leylines, it probably is worth playing sol lands + trinisphere + elvish spirit guide over the tutors. You could run 4 starfield of instead of the tutors as well since the extra mana probably doesn't matter as much. If you play all the green leylines you have a pretty good shot at nyxthos being an additional sol land.

Winter Maze

Thread Information