Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: WotC bans cards for racism

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

WotC bans cards for racism

Can't make that shit up:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...gic-2020-06-10

I can see the argument for Invoke Prejudice (especially due to the rather unlucky 1488 ID ), but banning Crusade for being racist is ridiculuous.

Rich Shay also pointed out how the banning of Jihad is a racist act by WotC:

https://twitter.com/atoglord/status/1270843548263501829

By that logic, they would have to ban Snapcaster Mage and Rakdos Augermage as well because WotC intentionally hid the eyes of the Asian Invitational winners behind googles.

Re: WotC bans cards for racism

The only card I could see getting banned in this context is Invoke Prejudice. I think the name is probably fine since its flavor virtue of its mana cost (strictly blue) and what it does is pertinent to colors, but the picture is way out of line.

Anything else I just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    The only card I could see getting banned in this context is Invoke Prejudice. I think the name is probably fine since its flavor virtue of its mana cost (strictly blue) and what it does is pertinent to colors, but the picture is way out of line.

Anything else I just don't get.
    Gypsy is literally a racial slur.
    Edit: from the wiki entry on he Romani:
    The Romani are widely known in English by the exonym Gypsies (or Gipsies), which is considered by some Roma people to be pejorative due to its connotations of illegality and irregularity.[67] Beginning in 1888, the Gypsy Lore Society[68] started to publish a journal that was meant to dispel rumors about their lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Gypsy is literally a racial slur.
    Edit: from the wiki entry on he Romani:
    That’s pretty bad, too. Wasn’t that printed in 4th, too?

Jihad is also literally about white creatures getting a boost until they eradicate the creatures of a certain color, which would probably be fine if it wasn't literally named after a holy war.

I wonder what Harold McNeill has to say about this.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I got the motivations behind all of them.

Only question I have is with Crusade, since it has 3 different arts, the most recent being in Duel Deck: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret.
    Also it seems the only one close enough to maybe see tournament play, albeit in some bonkers "promo art only" banlist format.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I got the motivations behind all of them.

Only question I have is with Crusade, since it has 3 different arts, the most recent being in Duel Deck: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret.
    Also it seems the only one close enough to maybe see tournament play, albeit in some bonkers "promo art only" banlist format.
    Did they really reprint crusade long after they printed honor of the pure? I guess those "wotc racist culture" articles are true...

Mar 2007

Lol, shut the fuck up
    If they want to be consistent, they should do it. But Snapcaster is a money card, so they're just going to be hypocrits.

But wait, there's more:

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I really don't see this thread doing anything useful. There definitely needs to be more civilized posts. This is a warning, which may result in a locked thread.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Cleanse is quite the stretch. I can understand the reasoning being that it alludes to ethnic cleansing, but that equates black creatures as analogous to black people. At that point, how do you justify not banning every card that destroys black creatures specifically?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

🤡 of the coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Wonder how this will bleed over to Old School. Some of those cards are pretty good, like Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Cleanse is quite the stretch. I can understand the reasoning being that it alludes to ethnic cleansing, but that equates black creatures as analogous to black people. At that point, how do you justify not banning every card that destroys black creatures specifically?
    Probably because cleansing has a real world connotation with killing minorities where as there isn't one with Dark Betrayal

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    If it depicted an ethic cleansing with humans, it would make sense.

But it depicts demons/monsters (aka "foul beasts") getting cleansed by sunlight, which the flavor text clearly support. How is that racist? Unless they want to imply that black people = demons/foul beasts. Now that would be actually racist.

Does this make Purge racist as well? It's white, kills black creatures and depicts a demon getting killed by holy light. And "Purge" isn't an unproblematic word in that context, either.

They've opened Pandora's Box here with a knee-jerk reaction. WotC at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Wonder how this will bleed over to Old School. Some of those cards are pretty good, like Crusade.
    Old School isn't a sanctioned format, they don't have to give a shit about WotC collecting corporate browny points.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If it depicted an ethic cleansing with humans, it would make sense.

But it depicts demons/monsters (aka "foul beasts") getting cleansed by sunlight, which the flavor text clearly support. How is that racist? Unless they want to imply that black people = demons/foul beasts. Now that would be actually racist.

Does this make Purge racist as well? It's white, kills black creatures and depicts a demon getting killed by holy light. And "Purge" isn't an unproblematic word in that context, either.

They've opened Pandora's Box here with a knee-jerk reaction. WotC at its finest.

Old School isn't a sanctioned format, they don't have to give a shit about WotC collecting corporate browny points.
    You seem to care a whole lot about how racist you can be instead of just going with "none". Try that.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

You seem to care a whole lot about how racist you can be instead of just going with "none". Try that.
    The card cleanse literally isn't racist, its not "ethnic cleansing" but "cleanse" and has a counterpart card in the same set that destroys all nonblack creatures. https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/C...verseid=201141

on the other hand invoke prejudice is obviously racist, and the art was done by a known racist, who also depicted klansmen on circle of protection black.
    Team FireBrothers

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Agreed.

While, it’s good to see wizards taking some action when addressing a serious issue in our society, it does seem like a token action - literally the least they could do. You’d think with their hiring practices called into question that they’d actually do something meaningful, instead of banning cards no one has ever heard of as a token show of progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstorm View Post
    The card cleanse literally isn't racist, its not "ethnic cleansing" but "cleanse" and has a counterpart card in the same set that destroys all nonblack creatures. https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/C...verseid=201141
    The people who own the card disagree. But it's great that you're here to give them a pass on racism because you, personally, refuse to see it.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

The people who own the card disagree. But it's great that you're here to give them a pass on racism because you, personally, refuse to see it.
    How is it racist?
    Team FireBrothers

Thread Information