Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: WotC bans cards for racism

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: WotC bans cards for racism

@Qweerios: we've already cranked it up to 11 pages! Edit: this post makes 12!

Ironically, most of the Confederate monuments were put up long after to reinforce Jim Crowe laws. Is it part of history? Yes, certainly, but it wasn't some noble idea but rather an oppressive goal.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.his...rate-monuments
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    @Qweerios: we've already cranked it up to 11 pages! Edit: this post makes 12!

Ironically, most of the Confederate monuments were put up long after to reinforce Jim Crowe laws. Is it part of history? Yes, certainly, but it wasn't some noble idea but rather an oppressive goal.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.his...rate-monuments
    At my local public college, a bunch of kids went off to fight in the Civil War and many didn't come back. Immediately after the war, their mothers and sisters raised money to put plaques in honor of the kids' memory at the rotunda. No generals, no political statements, just like a Vietnam war memorial with students' names. It was torn out a year or so ago because they were evil filth and F them and F the wishes of their long-gone grieving mothers who put it up. Made me sick to my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I have yet to see a sustainable position on racism in America. If black lives matter, why don't they protest for the black child soldiers in Africa? The slaves sold by black people in Libya? The 50% Haratine population of Mauritania that are born in slavery today? Instead of protesting for these black lives, they protest for George Floyd who put a gun to a pregnant woman's belly and has a criminal career of over 10 years.
    Gonna blow your mind here but: People can care about more than one thing at once. Or are you seriously unable to figure out why people care more about problems in the country they live in, that they are supposed to be have a say in how it's governed than they do about issues they can't effect? Or are you too busy looking up reasons why that black man had it coming to care?

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    At my local public college, a bunch of kids went off to fight in the Civil War and many didn't come back. Immediately after the war, their mothers and sisters raised money to put plaques in honor of the kids' memory at the rotunda. No generals, no political statements, just like a Vietnam war memorial with students' names. It was torn out a year or so ago because they were evil filth and F them and F the wishes of their long-gone grieving mothers who put it up. Made me sick to my stomach.
    What do you think a war memorial is?

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    By the same logic, just not being offended or hurt does not mean that something is not offensive or hurtful. Again, you make the a priori assumption that these cards are benign and non-offensive. People have pointed out that notion as questionable at best, as far as I can tell, yet to you it is still foundational fact. Hard to get anywhere from there with that baggage.

Who says anything here is worth celebrating? Who says the only options are virtuousness or spinelessness? Why do you assume an "angry mob that forgoes rational discussion?" What are we doing here right now? And "token reparations?" Really, that is the word you want to use here? First, not only is it not the applicable word, since nothing is be repaid in any sense, but I think it likely reveals (along with other likely hints in your posts) your further commitments. If not, still, you throwing around buzzwords hardly makes any case.

I am working under the assumption that making blatantly racist cards is not a smart thing to do, and WOTC is aware of this by the fact that they have printed tens of thousands cards that aren't racist so I am willing to assume that they didn't intend to be racist. With regards to these specific cards and their being offensive or not, can you link me to the arguments because essentially every one that I have seen is derived from a perceived context, even the most egregious in many's eyes, Invoke Prejudice, can only perceived as racist under the context of the KKK iconography, which is only culturally relevant to a small subset of the worlds population. But then again, I don't know what your specific argument is regarding this so I cant exactly comment.

If you look around, this is basically the only place that I have seen that is open to even having a real discussion on this topic, and by all accounts this is a small niche subset that is definitely not representative of the larger magic community. Maybe celebrating isn't the correct term, but people are giving approval for these decisions under the context that it is a morally just thing to do is what I am talking about. Looking at what brought about this issue, specifically the document about practices, from looking through it, I find that there is a significant amount of nuance that is ignored in order to fit the anecdotes into the authors framework of racial prejudice, just because the victim in some cases was of a different race doesn't automatically mean the offense was caused by racial prejudice, but clearly the public sentiment regarding this is so poor that WOTC has no choice but to issue an apology for something they clearly didn't intend. This is what I mean with regards to the angry mob. Also I am not sure what definition you are referring to with regards to the term "reparations", nor do I find quoting dictionaries particularly useful, but the even double checking several dictionaries it is pretty much defined as making amends for past wrongs, is this not exactly what they say they are doing? With regards to you comment about by commitments, I am interested in hearing what you mean by this, and what assumptions you are basing this comment off of.

[QUOTE=Qweerios;1085361]
    Racism is just very specific discrimination. There is only one race (human race) in our case and the classifications of racism are based on skin pigmentation. Stop for a second and think about how stupid this concept is. The more you talk about it and act upon it, the more you validate it. There is no such as as social justice, reparations or amends for the sins of others, and equality of outcome. There is only what is just (AKA: justice, period.), apologies from those who wronged you, and equality of opportunity.
    Yes, comrade, race isn't real. But If you would like to know who has a vested interest in keeping a system in place where we pretend it is then may I introduce you to the immortal science of Marxism?

(Oh, and no, confederate monuments have no place in public, where public is defined as communal spaces everyone has access to as the confederacy was explicit about what exactly they were fighting for: White Supremacy. Leaving these monuments in public is a tacit agreement with the values of the people depicted on on the monument.)

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Gonna blow your mind here but: People can care about more than one thing at once. Or are you seriously unable to figure out why people care more about problems in the country they live in, that they are supposed to be have a say in how it's governed than they do about issues they can't effect? Or are you too busy looking up reasons why that black man had it coming to care?
    Oh you mean the 50 MILLION afro-american abortions since 1973? Nope, they care about a serial criminal that gets unjustly killed by a cop.

Oh you mean the 50 MILLION afro-american abortions since 1973? Nope, they care about a serial criminal that gets unjustly killed by a cop.
    Oh you mean that dumbass myth?
    But do go on about why this blackman deserved to be summarily executed for things no one could have know at the time.

so my t1 Savanah Lions->t2 Crusade->t3 Jihad just got axed is what you're saying?

bruizar

Never did I condone the killing by cops of anyone. I am merely stating that planned parenthood is murdering millions of children, and no one bats an eye. Media is concerned with the individual case, they want to put a face on injustice. However, the abortion statistics are so horrifying that you dont even seem to care. If you would have seen some graphics of an aborted fetus, maybe that would help you grasp the extent of it, and even then your mind probably will just shut down because it is humanly impossible to process the pain of millions of deaths. Planned parenthood is a democratic, liberal policy from the same ideology as those selling BLM. The whole cause of BLM is corrupted and politicized. You should hear and see the racist shit that comes out of BLM. I am against BLM because I believe it leads to more racial division and it denies the positive developments and trajectory of millions of black people who are busting their asses to make something out of their lives.

And to think that you call me racist is hilarious. Ps: white people are more likely to be killed by cops in the US than black people, but who cares about numbers right.

You might want to watch this if you want to understand my point

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo

may I introduce you to the immortal science of Marxism?
    Speaking of ideologies that oppressed and killed millions. My Ukrainian grandpa knows all too well the mindset you're displaying. He'd love to tear down the Lenin statue in Seattle if we're doing that now.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    That was absurdly inappropriate. The monuments detailing the tragedy of the war are valuable.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I'm still waiting for anyone that is really bothered by this to actually describe this awful dystopian future of magic. Does it really boil down to not wanting magic to turn more juvenile in appeal, like Pokemon? I remember when PokemonGo was first released, that stuff was the shit.
    It's mostly that it's hard to see their rationale behind some of the bans. As someone else pointed out, the (presumed) logic used to ban Cleanse can be applied to multiple other cards, e.g. Celestial Purge. The ban list is already handled somewhat arbitrarily, and now we have even more seemingly arbitrary B&R decisions to worry about. Whether or not it's actually a slippery slope seems hard to determine since they have not laid out the criteria or thought process behind these bans.

Never did I condone the killing by cops of anyone.
    Oh nooo~oooo, you just really wanted to make sure we knew that the executed black man was no angel. How could we possibly infer anything about that?
    Lol, Prager U? Why don't you just post goatse and drop the veneer of intellectualism?
    (For those who don't know Prager University, which is not an actual University, is a series of 5 or so minute shorts curated by Dennis "your wife has an obligation to have sex with you even if she doesn't want to" Prager. Here's a half an hour video if you care beyond that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7BgrddY18)

bruizar

Oh nooo~oooo, you just really wanted to make sure we knew that the executed black man was no angel. How could we possibly infer anything about that?

Lol, Prager U? Why don't you just post goatse and drop the veneer of intellectualism?
    (For those who don't know Prager University, which is not an actual University, is a series of 5 or so minute shorts curated by Dennis "your wife has an obligation to have sex with you even if she doesn't want to" Prager. Here's a half an hour video if you care beyond that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7BgrddY18)
    1) If you are going to glorify and globally export a black victim as a symbol of racial inequality, I’m sure there’s someone with more commendable traits than George Floyd in the black community. I cannot remember people of other ethnicities glorify a repeat criminal like George Floyd.

2) instead of deriding the source by comparing it to goatse, can you disprove any of the content from the video I just posted?

Edit: I’d like to remind you that this crap BLM pulled caused protests and riots all throughout the world during a Pandemic. The hatred is being fed by state operated trolls that are actively trying to destroy the US. The American empire is crumbling, but you’re too distracted with virtue signalling over 1 dude (out of 7 billion people in the world) to see that the country is being attacked domestically and internationally

Just be careful with your tone here. I don't think your message will engender discussion if it is continually abrasive like this.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Let's get back on topic of discussing the actions of WOTC.
    Brainstorm Realist

Edit: I’d like to remind you that this crap BLM pulled caused protests and riots all throughout the world during a Pandemic. The hatred is being fed by state operated trolls that are actively trying to destroy the US. The American empire is crumbling, but you’re too distracted with virtue signalling over 1 dude (out of 7 billion people in the world) to see that the country is being attacked domestically and internationally
    Their hatred of not wanting to be executed in the street? Maybe that's why they're marching during a pandemic because you've been very clear their lives don't have value.
    Oh, and it's not protesters being violent, bootlicker.

I agree with so much of your message, but this has degraded into just a squabble between you and bruiser. Locking the thread.

Thread Information