Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Curse Stompy (Demon Stompy Reborn)

Re: Curse Stompy (Demon Stompy Reborn)

I went 5-2 in the challenge for 16th place. .
    I only made minor changes to the list. Curses totem was a hate piece that I though might be more effective than torpor orb vs elves and GW depths. I never saw it though.
    Just like having a back-up curse in curse of fools wisdom helps a ton vs control, the extra Retrofitter has been great. I cut the 4th edict for it since there aren’t really any other flex slots left. Curse of Leeches is still bugged on MTGO. 4th mauling was changed to a swamp since I was skimping on t1 black sources.

My only losses were to Bant Zenith. I am not sure how to improve that matchup; it has the hardest parts of maverick and 4c control in one deck. I can beat knight of autumn and wasteland or fow and uro, but both is really hard. The one game I won was on the back of t1 opposition agent.

A bunch of other people are trying the deck and doing quite well. I do think profane tutor is pretty terrible though. Overall other than blue zenith and GW depths the deck looks pretty well positioned. Elves and Reanimator seem to be the most popular combo decks, which are great match-ups. The most popular monkey deck is playing delver & DRC over saga and/or prismatic ending, and thus is very vulnerable to chalice. Yorion D&T and 8 cast are also reasonably favourable.

I always preferred pelakka predation to mauling, but with the oko ban I thought there wasn’t enough targets anymore. Well blue control has figured out that 3cmc planeswalker are good again, so I am trying it out. The second league went quite well. https://twitter.com/reeplcheep/statu...23675865690115

3 2-0 wins vs UR delver. With them playing so much tech for the mirror (gutshots main, no force of negation) the matchup feels the best it has ever felt. 2nd Retrofitter, although added for control, won a few games by itself vs delver too.

I did quite poorly in the showcase (2-5 plus 2 byes), but it felt more like variance/poor play was at fault than deck issues. I’m still rocking a 66%-70% win rate in leagues.

————-

The new utility land spoiled will be quite strong in this deck.

Roadside Reliquary
    Land
    {T}: Add {C}.
    {2}, {T}, Sacrifice Roadside Reliquary: Draw a card if you control an artifact. Draw a card if you control an enchantment.
    “Travelers who leave an offering many pass freely through the forest kami’s domain.”

By far the most common reason the deck loses is too much/too little mana. This is saga 5-6 where it provides mana early and card advantage late after you blow your load. More ways to use mana at instant speed also makes it easier to hold up opposition agent/sudden edict.

With 12-20 of each type (depending on how you count karn/saga/curse targets) it should always be online by the time you would want to cash it in. I tried similar cards pre-ZNR but stuff like Sea-Gate Wreckage and Castle Lochwain were both slow and turned off if a curse gets caught in your hand.

Unfortunately it is worse than the other colourless lands, any cuts will either hurt our black count for mox, or t1 B sources, or extra curse/saga targets. Since this should inherently improve the control matchups, and I have lots of t2/t3 B sources (karn-> vault, saga -> mox, Hagra’s/pelakka), I think the 8th swamp and the 2nd Retrofitter are the most replaceable.

Something like this:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    7 Swamp
    4 Urza’s Saga
    2 Hagra’s Mauling
    2 Roadside Reliquary
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

1 Retrofitter Foundry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Sudden Edict
    4 Leyline of the Void

4 Karn, The Great Creator
    4 Curse of Misfortunes
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Curse of Fool’s Wisdom
    1 Curse of Deaths Hold
    1 Overwhelming Splendor

Some quick notes:

I went 4-3 in the Sunday challenge for 17th. All my opponents made top 8 and I definitely could have played better.

Tensai (a moderately well known pox player) won 2 medium size events last week with curses. The webcam legacy January league and the quarterly invitational. He smushed a bunch of delver to get there, confirming my statements that this is the best the deck has ever been at beating delver.

Lots and lots of court of cunning (in ur delver) and teferi (in days undoing or uro control decks) in the showcase. Online at least, with curse of leech’s bugged, the court of cunning is very difficult to race. It is possible that Hive of the Eye Tyrant is the second best utility land after saga. It’s worth testing at least.

I played Brittle Effigy as a saga target for big creatures. It did finish me a game vs elves by removing an Archon of Valor’s reach but the saga beats might have gotten there anyways

Torpor Orb has been somewhat medium since D&T is a great matchup and doomsday is pretty uncommon. Since fair blue is everywhere it could be worth switching it out for something like a murderous rider.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-08-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Some quick notes:
    It is possible that Hive of the Eye Tyrant is the second best utility land after saga. It’s worth testing at least.
    Would you cut swamps for this card? 2 or 3 ish I guess.

I would cut 1 swamp 1 Retrofitter for it I think. The 2nd Retrofitter has underperformed as I am seeing less control and more meltdowns. But maybe it’s better to just play basics and more removal to beat delver, and worry about court in the sideboard.

Not sure what the “5th” sudden edict should be, but

Eliminate
    Feed the swarm
    Mire In Misery
    Collective Brutality
    Legions End
    3rd Hagra’s Mauling

Are all considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
    Would you cut swamps for this card? 2 or 3 ish I guess.
    Although much less powerful, maybe I should play Takenuma, Abandoned Mire? I am already at the minimum t1 untapped black sources (14) so maybe I can’t afford more colourless lands. In a deck with saga and ancient tomb I don’t think my opponents will waste my black source often. As a one or two of the opportunity cost is very low.

4 mana to get back karn is very slow, but against control at least it helps lessen flood. Postboard though it could be very powerful as Opposition Agent/plague engineer are must answers in a lot of cases. I could even run murderous rider if I trim my karn package a bit. Channel is instant speed if it dies as a creature and it doesn’t get shuffled if the adventure gets forced.

Something like this would be less powerful but more stable than the above:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    6 Swamp
    2 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
    4 Urza’s Saga
    3 Hagra’s Mauling
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

1 Retrofitter Foundry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Sudden Edict
    4 Leyline of the Void

4 Curse of Misfortunes
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Curse of Fool’s Wisdom
    1 Curse of Deaths Hold
    1 Overwhelming Splendor

3 Plague Engineer
    3 Opposition Agent
    2 Murderous Rider
    1 Mycrosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimettal Coating
    1 Vault of Whispers
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Brittle Effigy

Overall I have been quite happy with brittle effigy; it answers big scary threats while avoiding the postboard meltdowns.

I think the new Soul Transfer could take the sideboard flex removal slot.

Soul Transfer
    {1}{B}{B}
    Sorcery
    Choose one. If you control an artifact and an enchantment as you cast this spell, you may choose both.
    • Exile target creature or planeswalker.
    • Return target creature or planeswalker card from your graveyard to your hand.

It’s pretty comparable to k command as a raise dead plus do a thing. As a raise dead you can use it vs stuff like doomsday that otherwise would be rough to justify bringing in rider or soul shatter.
    Over murderous rider, the lack of life loss is great vs delver and exiling is very important vs kaldra/uro. The returned creature/pw is less reliable but more powerful than a 2/3 lifelink. With 8 cheap artifacts and enchantments each it should be not that hard to turn it on mid game and basically guaranteed late game.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-16-2022 at 01:10 PM.

I reviewed 201 matches of saga curses. Most of the data is myself playing in mtgo leagues. The findings were mostly in tune with my intuitions but I wanted to show that curses is a premier chalice deck.

Event Record
    Leagues 104-54
    Challenges 18-14
    Showcases 3-5

Matchups Results
    Best (BR) 12-0
    Common (Delver) 15-17
    Worst (UWr) 4-7

65% is a normal benchmark for a decent player playing a good deck so I am very happy there.
    Challenges are both harder and more fair than leagues so I am pretty happy with 55% there too.
    Reanimator is a good matchup for obvious reasons.
    Edict and saga are indeed bringing the matchup with delver up to even, but we are still trying to resolve 5 drops into daze/wasteland.
    Jeksai days/stoneblade makes sense as a bad matchup since they don’t care about Leyline or chalice, and usually have both ending and 3feri.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 03-08-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Curse of leeches is finally fixed on MTGO after 8 months of being bugged to kill itself. Now I can finally test the paper list online, since I don’t play much in paper.
    In case you forget what this does:

Curse of Leeches
    {2}{B}
    Enchantment — Aura Curse
    Enchant player
    As this permanent transforms into Curse of Leeches, attach it to a player.
    At the beginning of enchanted player’s upkeep, they lose 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    Daybound (If a player casts no spells during their own turn, it becomes night next turn.)
    Leeching Lurker
    Color Indicator: Black Creature — Leech Horror
    Lifelink
    Nightbound (If a player casts at least two spells during their own turn, it becomes day next turn)
    First darkness falls. Then it burrows in.
    4/4

The theory behind why I am excited for this is that you need a back up win con curse in case you draw or exile cruel reality. Currently that role is provided by Curse of Fool’s Wisdom, but the card is pretty aweful to draw. In some situations the lifegain and cantrip hate can be good so that is why it is in the deck over cruel reality #2. Low impact and hard to cast.

Curse of leeches is the perfect mana cost for this deck (2B). Itprovides significant lifegain, answers PWs and takes the monarch. Stuff like Teferi and Court of cunning can beat cruel reality better than 2 leeches. If you are expecting a bounce spell on your first target this is the least painful to get returned to hand. Curse of misfortunes can get more than 1 out of the deck if it is night, since it has a different name.

The actual effect is not amazing but it’s at least close to legacy playable cards, unlike fools wisdom which is 99% of the time a pitch card. The front side is a bargain bin Klothys and the backside is a batterskull without vigilance, which are playable 3ish mana cards. Saga/Retrofitter/edict make it easy to turn it to night and Trinisphere/chalice stops people switching it to day. I only played a few paper games but it has promise.

It will be a bit worse vs combo but being able to turn a blank card into “hold target pw or small creature in check” is huge vs fair decks like delver. In one webcam game against merfolk it was very good hardcast; they have a lot of trouble double spelling to flip it back.

The paper list differences from the previous mtgo lists:

1 mauling & 1 curse of fools wisdom -> 2 Curse of Leeches (lower curve, less need for lands)

Sideboard 1 PE 1 Opp agent -> 2 grids (makes it difficult to both flip to day and counter my follow up spells. Also 8cast and delver are played a lot, whose primary plans are Force everything.)

Sep 2011

Looks good. How is it performing with the new Curse? Do you miss the lifegain? Has the hardcast come up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Looks good. How is it performing with the new Curse? Do you miss the lifegain? Has the hardcast come up yet?
    Other than the match against merfolk I haven't gotten many games in. I just figured out it was fixed yesterday.

With more games curse of leeches has been quite good, especially with Trinisphere to keep it night time.

One game it stabilized vs delver and a 1/1 drc and another it out muscled a rabble master. In other cases it wasn’t insane but at least it was castable. However the trick to get 2 out was usually win more. Grid was good but didn’t map out very well. Seeing a lot more serenity/B2B/blood moon than I would like.

I think that 1 fools 1 Hagra’s mauling to 1 leeches 1 feed the swarm and 2 feed the swarm aside instead of the grids.

The extra saga/delver answer is still helpful vs 8cast/drc. Unlike grid, it can be brought in vs fair non blue and still be fine if they don’t have hate enchantments.

This spoiler has gotten my brewing juices flowing:

2B Enchantment

At the beginning of your precombat main, choose one or more:

Create a treasure, lose 1
    Draw a card, lose 2
    Create a 3/2 colourless shapeshifter token, lose 3

The first mode has obvious synergy with construct tokens, is very good against daze, and helps a huge amount with hard casting lattice/cruel reality/overwhelming splendor

The second mode is an obvious upgrade to dark tutelage (8 drops lol), phyrexian arena (no BB), and treacherous blessing (usually more life loss)

The third mode will usually cost too much life to activate, but is strong against control and combo. It also gives the creature density to run shadowspear and is a changeling for Retrofitter foundry.

Against combo and control this provides both cards and threats.

Against creature decks providing a treasure every turn is super powerful since mana denial is usually how you lose. A colourless blocker can also be occasionally relevant.

This is a list just considering it a better smoothing card than Hagra’s mauling. -3 mauling - 1 foundry -> + swamp + 2
    Connections +1 shadowspear. You could make more major changes if needed.

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    6 Swamp
    1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
    4 Urza’s Saga
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

1 Shadowspear
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Sudden Edict
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Black Market Connections

4 Curse of Misfortunes
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Curse of Leeches
    1 Curse of Deaths Hold
    1 Overwhelming Splendor

4 Plague Engineer
    4 Opposition Agent
    1 Retrofitter Foundry
    1 Mycrosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimettal Coating
    1 Vault of Whispers
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Brittle Effigy

This looks very promising, especially the first and second mode.

Few questions (as I recently picked up the deck in paper/legacy overall). What makes you go 4PE and 4OA instead of the previous 3 (and ditching removal like mire/soul transfer). Do you really think shadowspear maindeck without retrofitter foundry in main gives you enough creatures? I´d imagine it´s a dead draw, if you draw it, quite sometimes? Do you think 3 Black Market Connections instead of shadospear would be too much?

And cheers for sharing all the info! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorniborni View Post
    This looks very promising, especially the first and second mode.

Few questions (as I recently picked up the deck in paper/legacy overall). What makes you go 4PE and 4OA instead of the previous 3 (and ditching removal like mire/soul transfer). Do you really think shadowspear maindeck without retrofitter foundry in main gives you enough creatures? I´d imagine it´s a dead draw, if you draw it, quite sometimes? Do you think 3 Black Market Connections instead of shadospear would be too much?

And cheers for sharing all the info! :)
    The thought was I wanted more creatures for shadowspear. Deathtouch + trample is really good at finishing off planeswalkers. It might not be correct.

Black market connections also provides creatures, and that is what we really want the lifelink for. I do want a Retrofitter but I am unsure what to cut, and also don’t want too many maindeck 1 drops.

Took a near copy of reeplcheep's latest twitter list to a weekly last sunday (pre-black market connections - Can't find the list in a quick search but I have it saved on my phone, also minus 1 brittle effigy and +1 plague engineer)

While the deck seems straightforward in what it wants to do, I clearly need to learn the meta much more to really grasp the sideboarding and timing/ordering of spells.

round 1 vs 8cast
    G1 OTP they dump their hand early casting 0cc, and I get down a Karn, use karn to get an artifact land and eventually a bridge to buy myself some time. he has no answer so concedes to game two. Opponent makes a mistake in reminding me that mire in misery can cause them to sac urza's saga. Boarded in more mire in misery but don't recall what I took out, maybe leylines (which might have been a mistake due to Emry - i forget about that card).

G2 OTD I mull to 5. I'm not able to do much this game as his saga out paces my removal.

G3 OTP Should have lost this game but opp punted hard. He had his turtles out beating me down with them while I had a construct and a single sudden edict. I'm on potentially my last turn so I play my outs and attack into his equally sized turtle that is untapped. If he lets it through he wins on the clap back next turn, but he blocks and trades, allowing me to edict his other creature. This buys me time to get Karn, bridge and eventually lattice for the win.

2-1 / 1-0

round 2 vs UW delver (delver + SFM package, at least I don't think there was any red in the deck)
    G1 OTP - I take lots of tomb damage but manage to land a chalice on 1 and a 3 ball. Believe I got him with curses this game. Boarded in opposition agents for the SFM and fetches, dont recall what I removed, probably hagra mauling.
    G2 OTD - I don't have any notes but I think this one went similar to the first game, except he got a flipped delver to go along with my tombs and I die quickly to a mix of my own self inflicted damage and 3/turn. I put the opposition agents back in the side and return the deck to G1 status.
    G3 OTP - Opp mull to 6, keeps a hand of 3 forces, cantrips, and a wasteland. In turns 1-3 he forces curse of leeches, retro foundry, and ensnaring bridge. He eventually lands a delver when he top decks a land and is able to get the rest of the way with reinforcements after i run out of things to stop him.

3-3 / 1-1

Round 3 vs reanimator
    G1 OTD - mulled to 6 to find a T0 leyline (advantages of knowing what other people are on, i guess? Hopefully that isn't cheating but it does feel a little unfair). I quickly Karn into helm for the win.
    G2 OTD - T0 leyline again, and he obviously boards in his enchantment removal. I get a 3 ball down early to buy time, then karn lock him with the liquimetal coating while I swing in with constructs. 3 ball was crucial here as he got stuck on 3 lands and it slowed him down enough that he was able to deal with the leyline but spending 3 to loot bought me a turn to start picking off his lands.

5-3 / 2-1
    Round 4 vs Bant Uro.
    G1 OTP - Land an early chalice on 1, follow up with 3ball and then swing in with constructs. Didn't see much of his deck so not exactly sure what to do on here.
    G2 OTD - Mull to 6 keping 2 tombs (bottoming a city). The 2 tombs are too much damage to take and in hindsight i should have kept a city. On my last turn, I was low enough on life to take a hit from endurance and not be able to cast anything, but had I kept a city I'd have had a turn to play my top deck (don't remember what it was) and protect myself. So misplay before the game even started for me there.
    G3 OTP - Mull to 6. I see Serenity to deal with my curse of misfortunes and first curse I fetch up with it. He manages to land a court of grace on an empty board (didn't expect that) and I can't keep up with the tokens or monarch. game is over quickly after that.

6/5, 2-2 overall. Meta was diverse considering there were only 10 players. Definitely need to get more familiar with the current legacy decks to really understand how to maximize the chalice on 1 vs waiting for chalice on 2 instead (or 0, or not at all). I've noticed in the sideboard guide at the top here that often times chalice or leylines are boarded out and it doesn't make sense to me (not saying it's wrong, I just don't understand this matchups yet) so most games were with an unsideboarded deck or close to it.

List since I couldnt fine the link:
    4 chome mox
    4 tomb
    3 city
    4 dark rit
    4 saga
    2 urborg
    7 swamp
    2 hagra mauling
    1 takenuma
    4 edict
    3 3ball
    4 leyline otv
    4 chalice
    1 mire in misery
    4 karn
    4 curse of misfortune
    4 standard curse targets
    1 retro foundry

board
    3 oppo agent
    4 plague engineer
    1 vault of whispers
    1 needle
    1 coating
    1 bridge
    1 helm
    1 lattice
    2 mire in misery

( I think that covers the deck)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Took a near copy of reeplcheep's latest twitter list to a weekly last sunday (pre-black market connections - Can't find the list in a quick search but I have it saved on my phone, also minus 1 brittle effigy and +1 plague engineer)

While the deck seems straightforward in what it wants to do, I clearly need to learn the meta much more to really grasp the sideboarding and timing/ordering of spells.
    The deck is definitely really punishing and it takes more experience than it appears. However you went against some of the best and most popular decks, and went 50% which is nothing to sneeze at.

I haven’t gotten any connections testing in so I haven’t posted a real list with it. The mire was due to seeing a lot of serenity and sagas online at the time. You could play some other flex removal slot in its place if you aren’t seeing many enchantments.

G3 OTP - Opp mull to 6, keeps a hand of 3 forces, cantrips, and a wasteland. In turns 1-3 he forces curse of leeches, retro foundry, and ensnaring bridge. He eventually lands a delver when he top decks a land and is able to get the rest of the way with reinforcements after i run out of things to stop him.
    I think you played well here. Forcing 1 drops and 3 drops is exactly what you him to do. The 19 mana source deck drawing lands before the 28 mana source deck is just bad beats. What did you replace the agents with G3? Why did you bring them in G2?
    I've noticed in the sideboard guide at the top here that often times chalice or leylines are boarded out and it doesn't make sense to me (not saying it's wrong, I just don't understand this matchups yet) so most games were with an unsideboarded deck or close to it.
    Chalice is primarily sided out vs vial & stompy decks. In both cases dark ritual is one of your best cards and the opponent has few relevant 1 drops for chalice to hit. A lot of the same rules apply to Trinisphere, except Trinisphere is also bad vs land based decks.
    This version treats Leyline as a Blood Moon rather than a Emrakul. In a more combo focused version with multiple MD helms you wouldn’t side them out ever. But here if it doesn’t affect the opponent you probably have better cards to bring in.

Thread Information