Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Curse Stompy (Demon Stompy Reborn)

Sep 2011

Re: Curse Stompy (Demon Stompy Reborn)

Congrats on the wedding.

What's the reason for Dismembers? Seems risky in an Ancient Tomb deck. Is this just to have turn 1 answers for Ragavan (that play around Chalice @ 1)? Could Warping Wail fill that role without the life loss?

I met the guy on mtgo recently and he was just testing it. He said it was ok.

If I wanted extra removal for Ragavan I would probably play karakas or sphere of annhilation

Thinking about trying saga again over MD helms. They are awkward in a high curve shell, but they are so strong vs counter spells which the deck is quite weak to. Helms immediately end the game which is nice, but changing to a wincon that can produce mana in a pinch is nice.

With mox and retro foundry I am not sure if they need more aggro support

Went 4-3 in the sat challenge and 4-1 in a league with the following experimental list. The uncounterability of saga has been REALLY nice combined with the uncounterable removal. The deck has a frustrating weakness against the “play a threat, ignore prison pieces, do nothing, force every wincon” strat, which edict and saga punishes HARD.

But losing the free wins of MD helms is definitely a large cost. It requires a lot more testing.

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    7 Swamp
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Urza’s Saga

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Chrome Mox

1 Retrofitter Foundry
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Hagra’s Mauling
    4 Sudden Edict

4 Curse of misfortunes
    4 Karn the Great Creator
    1 Cruel Reality
    1 Curse of Deaths Hold
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    1 Curse of Fool’s Wisdom

SB:
    4 Plague Engineer
    2 Plague Reaver
    3 Opposition Agent
    1 Sphere of annihilation
    1 Vault of Whispers
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 liquimetal coating
    1 Mycrosynth Lattice

I intentionally went as light as possible on the saga package to avoid hate. I could go deeper (md vaults, 1 mox opal etc)

Went 4-3 in this weekends challenge. Died a ton to murktide regent even with 4 Leyline 4 edict. It often left we wanting a saga-ble removal spell. Thoughts on Brittle Effigy or Pacification Array

From Twitter:

I think I have got post-MH2 build down after a magic break. 4 uncounterable threats + 4 uncounterable edicts makes this the least bad against delver it has ever been; won the game below only having cast a mox. Saga is a great plan B if you don't commit too deeply to it.

I won a game with only casting a single spell vs delver; saga is nuts. Raising my land count without decreasing threat density is really nice.

As far as above goes, after testing I felt that I can only run so many terrible tutor targets, and fools wisdom does more for the deck than effigy or array would do. List:

Sep 2011

Yeah don't waste space on too many Saga targets. Retrofitter Foundry + Moxes are enough. If you run too much Saga cheese, you end up with bad topdecks and lose harder if they disrupt Saga. Saga on its own already does enough. 1 Mox Opal is probably good so you aren't forced to imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yeah don't waste space on too many Saga targets. Retrofitter Foundry + Moxes are enough. If you run too much Saga cheese, you end up with bad topdecks and lose harder if they disrupt Saga. Saga on its own already does enough. 1 Mox Opal is probably good so you aren't forced to imprint.
    I found that mox made me want to run vault of whispers, and then I got blown out by hate. I was worried without vault mox opal will be yet another dead draw half the time, and if I just made 2 constructs I probably have some card stuck in hand I can afford to lose.

I get back to online legacy this week, took your list and finished 5-0 and 4-1 on both my leagues
    I was surprised that with sagas and edicts I beat ragavan/delvers four times. It seems that the deck is now complete

Tried brainstone to put back splendor/moxes but first target was always foundry. Need more testes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomjab View Post
    I get back to online legacy this week, took your list and finished 5-0 and 4-1 on both my leagues
    I was surprised that with sagas and edicts I beat ragavan/delvers four times. It seems that the deck is now complete

Tried brainstone to put back splendor/moxes but first target was always foundry. Need more testes.
    Great to hear! It’s possible I want another saga target, but I feel like I lose more games to having exiled cruel reality than if I have to get a chrome mox with saga. But I could be wrong.

I think the delver mu is so good mostly because of the decks strength, but there are meta factors at play too. 4 murktide plus 4 DRC makes leyline the best it has ever been in this matchup. Delver also has the highest amount of 1 drops and least amount of forces it has had since mh1, to beat the mirror. Which makes chalice amazing (if they aren’t jeksai).

A 3 mana curse that flips into a 4/4 lifelink was spoiled. I posted discussion in the spoiler thread. I think it is reasonable to play 2 over fools wisdom and a land.

Played another challenge. Went 4-2. Deck feels pretty good. Non blue decks still feel like free wins (except maybe GW depths) and saga still feels awesome versus blue decks.

Got 21/64

Highlights include beating omnitell without casting a single spell (saga put out a fast clock and then I put in 3ball to stop their omni line) and getting curse of misfortunes hit by prismatic ending because of my own Urborg.

Only thoughts on the build is I have too many Karn targets. Which one should I cut for another opposition agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Played another challenge. Went 4-2. Deck feels pretty good. Non blue decks still feel like free wins (except maybe GW depths) and saga still feels awesome versus blue decks.

Got 21/64

Highlights include beating omnitell without casting a single spell (saga put out a fast clock and then I put in 3ball to stop their omni line) and getting curse of misfortunes hit by prismatic ending because of my own Urborg.

Only thoughts on the build is I have too many Karn targets. Which one should I cut for another opposition agent?
    Many thanks for these new improvements. They really work!

By the way, I'm achieving better results with 1 Helm of Obedience in the main instead of a 1 Curse of Fool’s Wisdom.

Some plays are just a free win

Great to hear! Yah against fair non blue or combo the fast wins of helm are very good and I would want 2. But against stuff like delver having the extra lands and uncounterable threats is invaluable.

An occasional streamer of curses got top 16 in the showcase yesterday

Some of his comments:
    The leylines were great.
    He tried Thran foundry as gy/doomsday hate.
    He misses the helms but saga and edicts were great too.
    Opposing sagas were an issue.

I agree with most of the above. I haven’t tried foundry, not sure if the doomsday value is worth being slightly worse than nihil spellbomb or tormods crypt. I guess it can shuffle in countered curses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomjab View Post

This you?

The showcase list above tried Thran Foundry. It can do the shuffle things back in thing, but also can hate on doomsday or gy decks. It seems like tech worth testing.

In other news curse of leeches is bugged on mtgo; the reattach on flip clause doesn’t work so it just kills itself.

I usually play on Saturday challenges which didn’t fire. But 2 Sunday pilots got into the top 32.

6th place

24th place

Both of them plus togores above ran my exact maindeck with only minor sideboard changes. I think the deck is really tight. Every card except fools wisdom (which you could replace with leeches if it wasn’t bugged) feels powerful. And the results are showing it as one of the best chalice shells at the current time.

GW Titan and sylvan plug just became GW Depths
    Red prison just dies hard to murktide and can’t run saga.
    Uro and murktide killed aggro eldrazi and white eldrazi imo.
    Not sure if the Emry decks became worse, but they dropped chalice to become affinity.
    Eldrazi post won this challenge but is quite rare.
    Only 1 guy plays bomberman online, so no comment.

Other meta things that help the deck:
    Leyline is incredibly strong vs the premier blue threats (DRC/Murktide/Uro)
    UR delver has an insanely low curve right now and few FONs so chalice is excellent
    UWx decks have replaced Judgment/teferis/disenchants with ending which miss curses.
    Edict is basically the only non-white removal spell that is good against both monkey and murktide.
    The best non-blue fair decks replaced cards that are good vs us with cards good vs delver (judgment to solitudes in D&T, ports to saga in lands)
    Sneak and Show and Doomsday are easier combo decks to beat than Rainbow Depths or Omnitell.
    Black has no good uncounterable threats like 6cmc Chandra or cavern reality smasher, so saga was huge upgrade for the fair blue matchup. It did take a bit figure out how to fit it in; going to deep generally got the deck blown out by hate.

GW depths and Jeksai Monkey are definitely bad matchups, but every other matchup feels good to great.

Since other people are performing with the deck in large events, I added a results section to the primer.

I am back on the deck after brewing with spirits for a bit. Getting a bunch of 4-1s and 3-2s.

The deck seems well equipped to handle most things now except opposing sagas. Needles/Plague engineer/opposition agents aren’t quite there.

What do you think is the best answer between Field of Ruin
    Sphere of Annihilation
    Feed the swarm

FoR is maindeckable if I am greedy on black sources or trim to 2 cities.
    Sphere of annihilation is karnable game 1, hits uro and PWs, and is only 1 mana. It does hit my own sagas though.
    Feed the swarm is probably the best vs delver as more removal.

Looking at this weeks top 32 it could be a good meta for field of ruin.

12/32 decks had 0 basics, 7/32 had saga, 3/32 decks were doomsday, and 18/32 had other utility lands. More than one ur delver deck had no basics but had steam vents.

Overall that means 25/32 decks either had lots of utility lands or 0 basics or doomsday, any of which make field of ruin a good card.

My manabase to fit in field of ruin would be

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Field of Ruin
    4 Urza’s Saga
    6 Swamp
    2 Urborg
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Hagra’s Mauling

Only 12 initial black sources is dicey, but I do have 10 ways of getting black later (mauling or field of ruin or saga for chrome mox).

Less basics for wasteland shouldn’t be a problem; in this event red prison was running only 5 mountains (+4 den of the bugbear + 4 shatterskull smashing)

Ninja: field of ruin also is pretty nice with sideboard opposition agents as well.

Thread Information