Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Legacy Spirits

Re: Legacy Spirits

The huge amount of spot removal seems to be the biggest problem. The below build still isn’t doing very well but it is winning more. The key changes were 4 Glasspool Mimic as a way to have smoothing that plays nicely with vial and SotL. 4 Glasspool plus 4 drogskol plus 4 Rattlechains for the max amount of Hexproof.

4 Drogskol Captain
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Rattlechains
    2 Dorothea, Vengeful Spirit
    4 Spirit of the Labrynth
    2 Usher of the Fallen
    4 Mausoleum Wanderer

4 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares

4 Tundra
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Scalding Tarn
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 Wasteland
    4 Glasspool Mimic
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 12-21-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Why not Phantasmal Image instead of the Mimic ?
    Cheaper, can copy the Captain just as well and can be vialed in as a 20/20 if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    Why not Phantasmal Image instead of the Mimic ?
    Cheaper, can copy the Captain just as well and can be vialed in as a 20/20 if needed.
    Image is not a land. 18 lands with 3 drops is pretty sketch, especially when your vial is less likely to stick around nowadays.

Mimic is pretty comparable to ponder for a land or ponder for a image, except it doesn’t get hit by SotL

Sep 2011

Yeah, I like Mimic here. Captain is a lot better at 8 copies, when you have a reasonable chance to enable the hexproof shield on both.

How does it test? Are you still losing to spot removal?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yeah, I like Mimic here. Captain is a lot better at 8 copies, when you have a reasonable chance to enable the hexproof shield on both.

How does it test? Are you still losing to spot removal?
    It feels better but still not amazing. Rattlechains plus Drogskol plus mimic has provided the big boost vs spot removal that I needed. I am losing mostly to green decks that go bigger (12post/elves/blue zenith) or heavy sideboard hate (gunshot my dude, REB my lord, end of festivities or carpet t2 PE t3 choke) Getting hit by x/1 hate and blue hate is rough.

I am doing better vs control decks with the extra hexproof but I am still losing a lot. Mostly postboard games or degenerate decks like oops/reanimator/8cast. Perhaps the sideboard just needs to be mapped out better.

4 Tundra
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial
    4 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Force of Will

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    3 Usher of the Fallen
    4 Spirit of the Labrynth
    3 Rattlechains
    3 Supreme Phantom
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    3 Drogskol Captain
    3 Glasspool Mimic

2 Gutshot
    2 Kira, The Great Glass-Spinner
    3 Kataki, War’s Wage
    1 Force of Will
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Graffigger’s cage

Map would be
    + Kira cage fon - 2 plow 3 fow/daze vs blue control
    + gutshot fow fon cage - rattle usher vs elves
    + gutshot Kira -fow -1 SotL vs ur
    - apparition vial 1 plow+Leyline cage fow fon vs reanimator
    + Kataki fow -usher 1 supreme vs 8 cast

Thoughts?

Cards I am losing to most and why I am trying the answers above:

End the festivities/plague engineer: I don’t think there are many good sideboard answers. I just am trying to mainboard as many lords as is reasonable.
    Blasts/choke/carpet: vial and basics plains helps vs island hate. Kira should help with getting my lords blasted.
    Chancellor of the annex & allosaurus shepherd: these shut off all my interaction. I was trying to hit both of them with cage so I can run path for murktide, but cage wasn’t good enough OTD or vs chancellor. Switching path to gutshot lets me use leylines against reanimator and hopefully gut shot is still good vs ur.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 12-30-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Doing ok with the above. Rattlechains is great as CA vs the ending.dec piles, but matchups where creatures are trading it is lacklustre. It would be helpful to have a way to generate extra ca/bodies without relying uncapping like cemetary illuminator

I am thinking of going back to the original disturb plan. Instead of Patrician Geist as a “disturb lord” I am thinking of Brine comber. It is better against removal, as a lingering souls lite. And the extra spirit is probably more important than the cost reduction if you are at the point of disturbing stuff. Lantern Spirit would be the extra 1 drop. The backside is pretty bad but with SotL or brine comber it should be worth half a card at least, and you get value even if you need to chump with it early. Dorothea, Vengeful Victim has been great for me as a Char with flashback.

The below is my draft that incorporates the above ideas. But it still keeps the core deck and the mimic+Drogskol part that has been my best innovation so far.

4 Tundra
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland

4 Aether Vial
    3 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Force of Will

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    2 Lantern Spirit
    4 Spirit of the Labrynth
    3 Brine Comber
    2 Dorothea, Vengeful Victim
    4 Supreme Phantom
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    3 Drogskol Captain
    3 Glasspool Mimic

2 Gutshot
    3 Rattlechains
    3 Kataki, War’s Wage
    1 Force of Will
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Graffigger’s cage

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Could you find room for 1 Mikokoro, center of the sea?

Lantern Spirit would be the extra 1 drop.
    Lantern Kami?

The ragavan ban might make this deck better. Without ragavan snowballing, we can wait to answer their 3 power flyers with Skyclave and Dorothea. Dorothea may not seem obvious but it is a on tribe “endurance” vs delver and hits hard vs combo. This lets us save our plows for murktide cards which was a huge problem. Hopefully less gutshots help too.ragavan getting banned also improves prismatic ending, which makes rattlechains more likely to 2 for 1.

I think the following hexproof pile has promise:

4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    4 Tundra
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand

4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    2 Usher of the Fallen
    4 Spirit of the Labrynth
    4 Rattlechains
    3 Dorothea, Vengeful Spirit
    3 Skyclave
    4 Drogskol Captain
    3 Mirrorpool Mimic

3 Kataki, War’s Wage
    3 Court of Grace
    2 Graffdiggers Cage
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Force of Negation
    1 Force of Will
    2 Path to Exile

Some thoughts: the secondary one drop is real bad. Maybe spectral sailor isn’t as bad as usher of the fallen. Or maybe I play no more 1 drops and just a few supreme phantoms

I expect bant uro + removal piles to be very common, not sure what is the best sideboard option.
    Court of Grace
    Court of Cunning
    Kira, Glass Spinner
    Hikori, Dust-Drinker

Additional removal path vs on thin ice vs prismatic are all interesting.

Sep 2011

Ragabanned probably favors this deck, as you can now save StP for Murktide and run slower answers like Skyclave.

3 Court of Grace seems excessive. What matchup is that for?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Ragabanned probably favors this deck, as you can now save StP for Murktide and run slower answers like Skyclave.

3 Court of Grace seems excessive. What matchup is that for?
    Bant control seems like the big winner of this ban. Some delver decks are running multiple court of cunnings in a similar role.

Gravelighter
    {2}{B}
    Creature — Spirit
    Flying
    When Gravelighter enters the battlefield, draw a card if a creature died this turn. Otherwise, each player sacrifices a creature.
    “It appears only to those whose lives are ending, welcoming them to their fate.”
    2/2

Could this be the hard removal for murktide we need? 3 cmc, answers TNN and murktide, and it also can be card advantage to help plow through stuff like Ice-fang coatl. It also has a decent amount of synergy with the bodies from Usher of the fallen or Moorland Haunt.

The flash from rattlechains/vial improves the effect drastically, and mausoleum wanderer lets you turn on the draw a card effect even against white removal or combo.

Thread Information