Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legacy Spirits

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Re: Legacy Spirits

@reeplcheep
    Yes, easier said than done, however, it may be possible with Lingering Souls.

Dorothea : the front looks ok, imo. The problem is in the back ( enchantment )
    Who do you put this on ?
    You need evasion AND survivability for that creature or it's worthless.

Just brainstorming here, but if the deck could have more full board hexproof and more lords it might work out.
    say
    4 Captains
    4 Phantoms
    3/4 Phantasmal Illusion. If they can copy a Captain you give both hexproof and both +1/+1 and +2/+2 to any other spirits.

Not saying this will work but it may be worth trying.

Sep 2011

Millicent seems unplayable. It doesn't boost anything UW spirits was trying to do.
    If you use tokens to help cast it (Lingering Souls, Spectral Procession, Moorland Haunt) then it loses payoff. The ability doesn't trigger with tokens. A vanilla 4/4 flyer isn't worth those hoops.

Dorothea is interesting. Not sure it's playable but it has potential as a flying deathtouch wall. You can leave it on defense as an early 4/4 flyer to stonewall DRC, Delver, Endurance, most creatures. If they attack into it you trade 1-for-1, then Disturb it before attacks for an advantage. Otherwise it buys tempo to get more threats and disruption online. I like that in a pinch you have a way to send it to the grave (attack for 4) so you can Disturb it. That may not be worth a full card slot, with so many playable 2s, but it's interesting.

I would not go out of your way distorting the deck to support the Aura side. The payoff is not good enough. But it's good incidental value if you can also get tempo/defense from the front side, maybe as a 2-of.

It still has the “go away” problem, but they printed a 3 cmc creature answer to murktide.

Dreamshackle Geist

{1}{U}{U}
    Creature — Spirit
    Flying
    At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose up to one —
    • Tap target creature.
    • Target creature doesn’t untap during its controller’s next untap step.
    3/1

I have been doing more testing. The core of the deck seems so good but it’s missing something. Combo and control matchups seem great but against any fair deck I just get out valued or don’t have enough pressure to finish in time. I revisited the delirium idea but it was usually bad.

SotL/Kataki/Skyclave/vial are all so good right now. The 8 thoughtcast deck is very common and so is URx. Sideboard juke of Court of Grace was decent against the removal.deck piles that control consist of nowadays. The deck really needs a champion of the parish style 1 drop to finish the game quickly as well as some card advantage that works through SotL. Moorland Haunt is quite good in that regard but it is hard to justify more than 2.

Thoughts on this:

Cemetery Illuminator
    {1}{U}{U}
    Creature — Spirit

Flying
    Whenever Cemetery Illuminator enters the battlefield or attacks, exile a card from a graveyard.
    You may look at the top card of your library any time.
    Once each turn, you may cast a spell from the top of your library if it shares a card type with a card exiled with Cemetery Illuminator.

1. It’s card advantage that works through SotL. The deck is entirely instants or creatures so the chances of drawing are pretty good.
    2. It has a decentish body
    3. In my experience with Kaya Orzhov Usurper and General Kudro, incidental graveyard hate is good.
    4. I believe this would let you alt cast daze or fow from your library on your opponents turn. Since it is not an alt. Cost
    5. It provides more exile effects, so it might make Stonebinder Familiar playable.

Familiar is the closest thing to a champion of the parish that spirits has. Perhaps with this on tribe way of exiling a card every turn (rather than relic) it can be playable? We have 4 plow 4 Force of Will 2 Mausoleum haunt and 6 of some combinaation of Illuminator and Skyclave. Not to mention opposing forces, solitudes, plows etc.

Draft exile list.

4 Stonebinder Familiar
    4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    4 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4 Supreme Phantom
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    3 Drogskol Captain
    3 Cemetery Illuminator

3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial

4 Tundra
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Moorland Haunt

20 lands plus 4 vial should compensate for no cantrips.
    Spirit count is 25 which is reasonable.
    11 instants gives makes it not that unreasonable to cast with Illuminator.
    Blue count was helped at tad by Illuminator, now it is 25.
    Things that exile count is 16
    It could be that familiar doesn’t grow enough as mentioned above, but it is worth revisiting imo.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Soulherder seems to have nice synergy with the Familiar and Illuminator.
    You could even bounce the SotL and get out of the draw restriction at the end of your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    Soulherder seems to have nice synergy with the Familiar and Illuminator.
    You could even bounce the SotL and get out of the draw restriction at the end of your turn.
    Soulherder is good but wants to play with strix not supreme phantom. To build around it sufficiently I would be worried it would just be bad Esper Vial.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

I know it's off color but look at this Spirit.
    Laelia, the Blade Reforged
    Looks like a great combo with SotL

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    I know it's off color but look at this Spirit.
    Laelia, the Blade Reforged
    Looks like a great combo with SotL
    Laelia is originally what got me thinking about this. I just thought Illuminator would work better with the counter magic and didn’t require splashing. It’s definitely a consideration.

Usher has been the best 1 drop in practice. I am thinking of trying this again.

What about Jitte? It helps with fair creature matchups, and it makes good use of all the tokens. It is possible it got power crept out by all the ginormous 2 drops.

3 Drogskol Captain
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Supreme Phantom
    4 Spirit of the Labrynth
    3 Usher of the Fallen
    4 Mausoleum Wanderer
    2 Shacklegeist

4 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Uwezawa’s Jitte

4 Tundra
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Wasteland
    2 Moorland Haunt

Sep 2011

Looks good. What have been the bad matchups so far?

SotL and Kataki are a house vs 8cast. And you beat up on combo.

Bad matchups are anything with big creatures that can’t get hit by Skyclave and/or oodles of white removal. Jesksai saga (murktide), GW depths (lage, endurance), D&T (solitude, kaldra). It irks me that the deck feels bad against most of the tier 1 decks since it gets to play so many good cards for a tribal deck.

Edit: a possible fix would be to switch moorland for karakas. Moorland has been quite good at smoothing but perhaps my creatures don’t die often enough. Karakas is faster but doesn’t help grind.

Thread Information