Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

Well, that's interesting.

Edit: Kaldheim seems to be a tribal-focused set again. Dwarfs seem to be the red tribe, Angels (valkyries) for W and B, Elves for G and B, blue has Giants ().

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Can't wait for Tibalt to break every format.
    Spoilers don't have that same type of excitement when they are just going to break formats every time. With that said I look forward to the new simic Tibalt!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    blue has Giants ().
    I'd guess as a reference to Jötunn or frost giants, maybe?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'd guess as a reference to Jötunn or frost giants, maybe?
    That's my guess, too. It's still really odd, as most giants are normally red.

blue has Giants ().
    Frost and Fire giants feature in Norse mythology.

I think the tribal pod might have a home in my pet modern deck: Zombies, which already is in the market for a sacrifice outlet.

Mar 2007

Gods returns, but this time not so immortal:

The God is the main side and you can't search for the sword via SFM, right?

Edit: Double-faced legendaries is quite an intriguing way to circumvent some of the drawback of drawing multiple copies.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Gods returns, but this time not so immortal:

The God is the main side and you can't search for the sword via SFM, right?

Edit: Double-faced legendaries is quite an intriguing way to circumvent some of the drawback of drawing multiple copies.
    Anybody else get Personal Incarnation vibes from this guy? That was my first rare I got way back when I played a shitty mono-white deck circa 1995, so the nostalgia is strong with this one.

EDIT: this version was the one I had: OIP.jpg
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Gods returns, but this time not so immortal:.
    Can't die in glorious battle during Pro-tour Ragnarok if you're indestructible!

Edit: Kaldheim seems to be a tribal-focused set again. Dwarfs seem to be the red tribe, Angels (valkyries) for W and B, Elves for G and B, blue has Giants ().

Something I haven’t seen anyone else mention:
    Magda plus any tribal artifact creature adaptive automaton
    Metallic Mimic
    Universal Automaton
    Plus clock of omens is a 3 card modern legal infinite tapped treasures combo on T3. Normally that would still be unplayable, because you still need to untap your treasures and find a payoff.
    But shitty fire design means every engine is also a payoff nowadays so Magda also wins you the game by finding all the artifacts in your deck, a dragon storm package or hellkite tyrant

T3 3 card comboes that avoid summoning sickness are essentially the same as food chain and Aluren, and this is in monoR.

The only thing needed is to see if the fair plan of “Dwarf” tribal beatdown + Vigilant smugglers copter beats is better than a bunch of painters vindicate, manipulate fate’s draw 4, or strix plus harpy Durdle.

May 2015
    PDX

I think dwarf is more likely to be played as a pseudo-Factory pump for Mutavault. The mimic lords seem a bit slow. In legacy this seems like winmore on top of LED/Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I think dwarf is more likely to be played as a pseudo-Factory pump for Mutavault. The mimic lords seem a bit slow.
    Mutavault unlike factory is unfortunately not an artifact; all other untap engines like battered golem plus ruined stalactite plus fire whip requires an additional piece.

You can replace the lords with anything that makes Magda into an artifact like silverskin armor

Warchanter skeld plus aura of dominion also makes infinite tapped tokens, and makes 2/1s equal to your mana even without magda. Magda plus aura is the best mana battery every printed.

May 2015
    PDX

I don't know that you really need to do untap stuff with this guy, just turn treasure petals into damage (Galvanic Blast, Shrapnel Blast). Maybe play some Mox/Rograkh, or go longer with some city's blessing rule break.

I don't know that you really need to do untap stuff with this guy, just turn treasure petals into damage (Galvanic Blast, Shrapnel Blast). Maybe play some Mox/Rograkh, or go longer with some city's blessing rule break.
    I wonder if they want it to be used with vehicles alongside stuff like Depala, Pilot Exemplar and Sram, Senior Edificer.

I was just suggesting the combo route because t3 2.5 card comboes with a fair backup plan are known elements in legacy and at least reasonably competitive (food chain/recruiter-less Aluren/worldgorger/ledNarsetEcho)

This card is bonkers with smugglers copter and the rest of the kaladesh standard crew for sure. But fair Boris tribal is much more uncharted territory; I guessed that would be more viable as a plan B then a primary plan.

May 2015
    PDX

@reeplcheep the issue is staying alive to pull off a slower combo, and ability to cantrip. There are some significant color issues and sorc speed high-mana tapout required for that combo.

I see cards like this like a value Krark; you put them into a shell that can survive, and thus be relevant. In legacy he probably going into Painter, whereas Krark gets dumped into a Delver shell. You can try to hide the combo in the manabase (Mutavault, something like Arch of Orazca), but the maindeck slots don't have much room for build-around. Like maybe you could get away with Treasure Map // Treasure Cove +/- Karn wish for it, but you have to compare that directly to why you aren't just playing Emry Cannon with HullyB (which chooses not to wish for Treasure Cove despite treasure petal engine).

Edit: at the end of the day Painter wants Mag Channeler more.

The argument for Magda over hullbreach is the same reason to play food chain over Hullbreacher: your three card combo has better pieces on their own: ballista vs led or manipulate fate vs echo and if you pyroblastable card doesn’t resolve you don’t lose the game.

I agree in painter Magda will be hard pressed to put perform goblin engineer or channeler.

A fair shell for Magda could be an opposition brew; you may have a critical mass of cheap legendary creatures that care about being tapped with emmara & depala. You would cut out the m, s,t of most and play those creatures plus stuff like tangle wire/springleqf drum/mox opal/honor-worn shaku/smugglers copter

May 2015
    PDX

Springleaf Drum is a card that has been outclassed by Holdout Settlement and the strictly better Survivors' Encampment (desertcycling will eventually come back with realistic costs). When we talk about cards like these though, we're going too slow for legacy. In modern you maybe get away with going full-YOLO variance with Mox & Rograkh; but even this is asking a bit much out of a deck with Looting banned. To begin getting away with tap-dude lands in legacy, you need a guy with morph/metamorph, a cmc of 0-1, and an outrageous flip cost that triggers to win on the spot (the exploit here is Illusionary Mask). If that existed, maybe dwarf guy could add an interesting face-up angle to a tap-dude land.

Copter works in either format, but in legacy you're almost certainly spamming Ancient Tomb, which becomes pretty dangerous when you can't kill on the spot (makes Delvers into 5/3's). You skip on Tomb for kill spells and Oko kills you. The more build around you have, the more you have to be able to filter through, leading to self-defeating death by variance. When you think about how fragile this contraption would be, you are kinda locked into super-Chandra as your only possible payoff [uncounterable]. At least with stuff like Galvanic Blast/Shrapnel Blast you can gamble on outrageous burn with deal 4's, deal 5's, and Chandra ToD + super-Chandra...so now you're in this Moon Stompy territory that you're trying to be better than...but you're probably choosing Looting and Galvanic Blast over Chalice?

At every turn it feels like the legacy version would be slower Merfolk (without Thassa win button), worse Painter, worse Emry Cannon, worse Moon Stompy, and probably unable to profitably use Tomb (and certainly no Tomb if you added in blue cards).

Your first paragraph makes no sense to me. What you are saying seems to be equivalent to saying Thran quarry obsoleted BOP and ancient tomb obsoleted sol ring which is nonsense.

I’ll buy that looter scooter is perhaps not good enough without tomb. I don’t see why this needs to be in a stompy shell rather than a 4c mav shell.

I don’t see how this is going to be more inconsistent than mav or d&t. You play 12 cards that can be tapped for value, 12 cards that tap your creatures for value, and then round out with disruption and accel (like Thalia plus mox opal)

Thread Information