Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

Some stuff got put out about the new set, mostly fluff, but we did get a few details about the upcoming set:

4 'walkers - two new ones Tyvar Kell and Niko Aris, with Kaya and Tibalt returning.
    Snow mechanic is in.
    The remaining 4 Pathways from Zendikar are in, and not snow.
    Double Face Cards are here.
    Lots of the art shown references Norse Mythology - things like Yggdrasil and runes on things.

Re: Kaldheim. It's going to have Snow. And Vikings.

Can't wait for Tibalt to break every format.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Can't wait for Tibalt to break every format.
    I say he deserves it

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Vikings seem overdue.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

First couple of cards are spoiled. We've got multicolored Sagas - and FINALLY dedicated RW card draw. Just a huge development for a color pairing that's been consistently denied that. I mean, it's not Legacy playable or anything, but still. Also a new take on Birthing Pod that's fully colorless and Tribal.

Showdown of the Skalds 2WR
    Enchantment Saga
    1: Exile the top 4 cards of your library, you can play them until next EOT.
    2 and 3: Any time you cast a spell this turn put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

Pyre of Heroes 2
    Artifact
    2T: sacrifice a creature then search your library for a creature that shares a creature type with it and costs 1 more. Put that new dude on the battlefield.

Pyre is maybe playable in some kind of Elf combo deck? I dunno, seems like it'll make problems somewhere in eternal at only 4 mana total to use and being repeatable each turn.

Oh, and the new pathways have Kaldheim art instead of Zendikar art which is just kind of a huge crime against humanity or something. Me and three other art nerds will be furious about it, but not enough to like, do anything beyond mild statements that we're unhappy.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Oh, and the new pathways have Kaldheim art instead of Zendikar art which is just kind of a huge crime against humanity or something. Me and three other art nerds will be furious about it, but not enough to like, do anything beyond mild statements that we're unhappy.
    The Secret Lair pathways have the missing art, buy all 10 pathways there and have 2 complete sets, one for each plane. Just in case that art nerd rage boils past mild.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Tribal birthing pod? Looks like modern of getting more bannings soon.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Pyre of Heroes 2
    Artifact
    2T: sacrifice a creature then search your library for a creature that shares a creature type with it and costs 1 more. Put that new dude on the battlefield.

Pyre is maybe playable in some kind of Elf combo deck? I dunno, seems like it'll make problems somewhere in eternal at only 4 mana total to use and being repeatable each turn.

The first things that come into my mind regarding this card:
    Humans (probably the best for silver bullet shenanigans), Eldrazi (Stompy mana requirements; living the dream with Matter Reshaper; squeezing more triggers out of Eldrazi Mimic) and Vial tribal decks (including the previously mentioned Humans) since both artifacts operate on different resource axes.

GSZ is already a thing in Elves, I don't see how a Tribal Pod would do any good here, but I might be wrong.

First couple of cards are spoiled. We've got multicolored Sagas - and FINALLY dedicated RW card draw. Just a huge development for a color pairing that's been consistently denied that. I mean, it's not Legacy playable or anything, but still. Also a new take on Birthing Pod that's fully colorless and Tribal.

Showdown of the Skalds 2WR
    Enchantment Saga
    1: Exile the top 4 cards of your library, you can play them until next EOT.
    2 and 3: Any time you cast a spell this turn put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

Pyre of Heroes 2
    Artifact

Pod and Pyre pretty much have the same mana cost. 4 total for each. Pod 3 mana and 2 life to cast, 1 mana and 2 life to activate. 4 mana total. Technically Pyre is a downgrade from Pod because of the tribal requirement.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Pod and Pyre pretty much have the same mana cost. 4 total for each. Pod 3 mana and 2 life to cast, 1 mana and 2 life to activate. 4 mana total. Technically Pyre is a downgrade from Pod because of the tribal requirement.
    i think in elf opposition being able to go from oracle/visionary into rec sage / leovold is pretty sweet.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i think in elf opposition being able to go from oracle/visionary into rec sage / leovold is pretty sweet.
    Which both Pod and Pyre both do exactly the same. Not sure what your point is.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Which both Pod and Pyre both do exactly the same. Not sure what your point is.
    pod costs 3+2 life and 1+2 life. you still need 4 mana for the first activation. getting two mana to get it into play is much easier. pod doesn't see play, so could try this and see if the initial mana cost of the card is worth it.
    -rob

May 2015
    PDX

There's not a huge amount of elks worth tutoring out with this artifact.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    There's not a huge amount of elks worth tutoring out with this artifact.
    This is likely the truth, but I'd try it in soldier stompy, or with bloodghast in vampire tribal, or in knights to search up Haakon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    This is likely the truth, but I'd try it in soldier stompy, or with bloodghast in vampire tribal, or in knights to search up Haakon.
    So here's how I see this going: discard outlet into Basking Rootwalla. Tutor up...wait for it....Sauroform Hybrid. Lizard TRIbal! Need a followup discard outlet for Rootwalla #2? Don't even worry about it, Sinuous Striker has you covered. Legacy solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So here's how I see this going: discard outlet into Basking Rootwalla. Tutor up...wait for it....Sauroform Hybrid. Lizard TRIbal! Need a followup discard outlet for Rootwalla #2? Don't even worry about it, Sinuous Striker has you covered. Legacy solved.
    I'll have what he's having

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Are there any good Wizards worth chaining into?

Something like Eldrich Evolution seems like it's going to be better than pyre in most situations. Those restrictions on timing, creature type and mana cost are very stiff.

It would take some craziness to make it viable in any competitive setting, but the jank potential of the chapter II and III abilities of the saga with something like Mindless Automaton or Etched Oracle is intriguing.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Are there any good Wizards worth chaining into?
    Arcanis the Omnipotent and Dreadhorde

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Pyre + Skyshroud Cutter -> Thragtusk? Uril?
    Pyre + Allosaurus Rider -> Stonehoof Chieftain?
    Pyre + Vine Dryad ->Tendershoot Dryad?

Nothing game breaking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Thread Information