Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MultiColor Creatures - MCC

Jul 2005
    Belgium

MultiColor Creatures - MC˛

I'd like to build a competitive Multicolor Creature deck.

Why do I think this type of deck can be succesful ?

1- Multicolor creatures give you an edge in power/ability over their equivalent single color creatures. compare Reclamation Sage with Knight of Autumn to get the idea.

2- The mana base is there with Pillar of the Paruns and Ancient Ziggurat to go cherrypicking among all 5 colors.

3- There's a wish card Glittering Wish that allows you to actually play the game with a 75 card deck and keep all your silver bullets at the ready in your SB.

What cards should go in ?

Tidehollow Sculler : this seems to be an ideal T2 drop. Automatic 4-off. Check opponent's hand, cripple him somewhat, follow up on T3 with ...

Meddling Mage : once you have seen your opponent's hand your Mage is no longer flying blind and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're up against and what to call with the Mage. 3 MD + 1 SB seems best to me.

Knight of New Alara on T4 and you have two 4/4's to start your beatdown. 3 MD + 1 SB. 2 copies seems not enough imo as you like to pump your creatures sooner rather than later. The fact that their effects stack and they can boost each other is another reason to play 3 copies, I think.

Mother of Runes / Giver of Runes is necessary T1 for protection. Currently favor a 3/1 split over 4/0 or 2/2.

Knight of Autumn : an absolute power card in this setting imo. Artifact&Enchantment destruction, life gain or simply a 6/5 beater for just 3 mana. 3 MD.

Deputy of Detention : excellent creature who can deal with everything Knight of Autumn can deal with + creatures and Planeswalkers on top of that. Only downside is his power 1. This deck can have him operate as a 3/5 however ( or more with multiple Knights in play, but let's stay down to earth ) 3 MD + 1 SB.

Rhox War Monk : a 6/7 with Lifelink may be too good to pass up, especially if you have a Sylvan Library in your deck as well. 2 MD, could go down to just 1 if another "must have" creature shows up. Suggestions ?

Kunoros, Hound of Athreos : 1 MD copy as this card is just good by itself and even better with a Knight.

Leovold, Emissary of Trest : top card already, being a 6/6 instead of a 3/3 doesn't hurt. 1 MD + 1 SB.

Edric, Spymaster of Trest : card draw and a potential 4/4 for 3CC gives him a MD slot.

Noble Hierarch is a card I don't know if she truly belongs in this deck. Idem for Abrupt Decay

SB cards are mostly self explicatory, I guess.

Some input/feedback/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

The deck currently looks like this :

//CC1
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Noble Hierarch
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Giver of Runes

//CC2
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Glittering Wish
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library

//CC3
    3 Knight of Autumn
    3 Deputy of Detention
    2 Rhox War Monk
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Kunoros, Hound of Athreos
    1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest

//CC4
    3 Knight of New Alara

//Lands
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Flooded Strand

//Sideboard
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    1 Kelsien, the Plague
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    1 Dovin, Hand of Control
    1 Deputy of Detention
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render
    1 Abrupt Decay
    Last edited by Borg; 10-22-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Re: MultiColor Creatures - MCC

Generally, tribal vial decks are usually the best bet, because of Cavern of souls and Unclaimed territory to support that and vial can be cast over colorless or Mountain mana. Good example are slivers. But again, these strategies may be better in modern, not much point to port into legacy if you bringing like two cards that are not legal in modern and that just because to have chance of superfast combos in the format. But in legacy at least you can abuse Arcum's astrolabe (if it will not get banned even in legacy), that then naturally includes Ice-fang coatl and Yorion, sky nomad. It will require a lot of basics though and not sure how Niv-Mizzet reborn can be good in legacy.

The strategy reminds me of my UW liege deck I am brewing in modern though :)
    mom protecc
    and she also attacc
    but most importantly she 1cc

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's a cool idea, but I wonder if it's just one turn too slow. Spending a turn casting Glittering Wish in order to answer something might give a window to actually deal with your answer, or play around it. Your list actually looks akin to Maverick or Humans, both of which are competitive decks, along with a fairly new deck in Esper Vial. I think those decks in particular would give you a really good idea on how to approach a creature-based toolbox deck. One element that really powers up Humans and Esper Vial is Aether Vial, which gives all kinds of strategic advantages. Maverick leans on Green Sun's Zenith. Those are the two cards that Glittering Wish is replacing, so the ability to grab spells as well as creatures is not insignificant. In the current mid-range brawl-fest that legacy is centered around, this could be a way to go over other decks.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

5c multicolour decks have a large advantage over 5c multicoloured decks since you can run 4 unclaimed territory 4 cavern of souls but only 4 pillar. Pillar also doesn’t cast key cards for creature decks like gas, vial, or in your case, living wish.

Humans has been done. You should pick a tribe that already has legacy playable cards in a few colours and then fill in the gaps imo with lords.

Possibilities include knights (knight of autumn/murderous rider/knight of the reliquary)

Spirits (spirit of the labrrynth/eidolon of the great revel/skyclave apparition)

Pirates (Hullbreacher/free booster/faththom fleet neckbreaker)

Rogues(brazen borrower/notion thief/cunning mightbonder/acquisition expert/oonas blackguard/shardless agent)

Advisors(Kambal/Tomie/leovold/Teeg) no good lords though

Clerics(mom, cpriest, cleric of life’s bond/edgewalker/canoeist/arbiter)

Wizards(Mindcensor/bob/meddling mage/obstructionistquasali pridemage)

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    5c multicolour decks have a large advantage over 5c multicoloured decks since you can run 4 unclaimed territory 4 cavern of souls but only 4 pillar. Pillar also doesn’t cast key cards for creature decks like gas, vial, or in your case, living wish.
    Did you mean 5c multicolour tribal decks have a large advantage over other 5c decks? I was a little unclear. It seems like it was implied by mentioning lords, I was just puzzled...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

"2- The mana base is there with Pillar of the Paruns and Ancient Ziggurat to go cherrypicking among all 5 colors."

If you're committed to this I'd build this into an Umori, the Collector deck.

In your list though I like the 1/2 cmc things you picked out but would try to find better things over these:

//CC3
    3 Knight of Autumn
    3 Deputy of Detention
    2 Rhox War Monk

They're just not good enough in your md in my opinion, but r strong glittering wish options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

I should probably point out here that it is NOT the intention to build a Tribal deck but rather find the best/strongest multicolor cards ( spells and creatures ) and see if they can work together in a competitive deck.

5c tribal is mostly built up by creatures and lands with limited room for PW's enchantments, instants and sorceries.

The multicolor deck I'm looking for would actually revolve around Pillar of the Paruns and Glittering Wish and would have access to all these card types, not only creatures and lands. ( Pillar of the Paruns CAN be used to cast Glittering Wish btw )
    The reason I think a deck like this can be competitive is because multicolor cards are usually superior in power/effect compared to their single color equivalents and Glittering Wish allows you to play with 75 cards, giving you access to possibly some of the strongest silver bullets out of your SB.

With Glittering Wish you can just go get an Oko (PW) out of your SB, or a leovold (Creature), an Abrupt Decay (Instant) or a Supreme Verdict (sorcery) for that matter.

Of course this deck would have lords as well. Knight of New Alara is not just a lord, he's a super lord, giving not just +1/+1 but at least +2/+2 and to some even +3/+3 per copy.

The main question though is, as Mr. Safety pointed out, can it be made fast enough ?

That's why I included Hierarchs ( who should maybe be Birds instead )

I tried Wild Cantor at first and maybe gave up too soon on them.
    They can give you some early speed and are still useful later on as potential 3/3 creatures for just 1CC.

Maybe Coiling Oracle deserves to be in there for their ramp ability.

I think the current deck has still a lot of room for improvement at all CC levels.
    Like, Oko can probably take the place of 1 Knight of Autumn
    and Supreme Verdict is something you probably want a copy of in your SB as well.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    IThat's why I included Hierarchs ( who should maybe be Birds instead )

I tried Wild Cantor at first and maybe gave up too soon on them.
    They can give you some early speed and are still useful later on as potential 3/3 creatures for just 1CC.

Maybe Coiling Oracle deserves to be in there for their ramp ability.

I think the current deck has still a lot of room for improvement at all CC levels.
    Like, Oko can probably take the place of 1 Knight of Autumn
    and Supreme Verdict is something you probably want a copy of in your SB as well.
    I think Birds might be a necessity, simply for having access to all 5 colors. It also flies, which does come in handy on occasion against Depths. I don't think anything that accelerates at 2 mana is worth including like Coiling Oracle; you're better spent playing on-curve. You could make an argument for Uro, but that's 3 mana. If you wanted to include Uro, I think the obvious place to cut is Rhox War Monk (which I love but isn't really legacy playable anymore.) The other acceleration could be Chrome Mox, simply because it can provide for additional color stability alongside ramp. If you imprint a 2-3 color card it will give you those colors.

One card that is a 2-drop that might be worth playing is Baleful Strix. It becomes a 3/3 flyer with Knight of New Alara and provides much needed velocity.

I think Shardless Agent and Bloodbraid Elf are also options for providing insane value. One way to offset the cost of Glittering Wish is to get something else for free, like a free card off Agent/Bloodbraid. You have the acceleration with Birds to get to 3-4 mana, so it could be a very powerful way to gain inevitability.

Just a rough outline:
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Glittering Wish
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Shardless Agent
    2x Bloodbraid Elf
    2x Knight of New Alara
    18x Creatures/PW's (whatever mix you think will be the best)
    20x lands

The more I think about this, the more I think it makes sense to basically work it as a 5-color Shardless Bug deck. You get access to all the currently good mid-range cards (Uro, Oko, etc.) but you add in other high-value cards (Agent, Bloodbraid), and the best multicolor disruption (Decay, Ashiok, etc.) The real concern will be Delver (Wasteland/Daze) decks and fast combo. You'll be set up well to fight the mid-range slugfests but be natural prey to Storm, Sneak/Show, Reanimator, and Depths.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I think it makes sense to basically work it as a 5-color Shardless Bug deck. You get access to all the currently good mid-range cards (Uro, Oko, etc.) but you add in other high-value cards (Agent, Bloodbraid), and the best multicolor disruption (Decay, Ashiok, etc.) The real concern will be Delver (Wasteland/Daze) decks and fast combo. You'll be set up well to fight the mid-range slugfests but be natural prey to Storm, Sneak/Show, Reanimator, and Depths.
    That is a brilliant suggestion.
    Getting Glittering Wish off a Shardless seems like great value. Same for Tidehollow Sculler and Meddling Mage.

EDIT : added new lineup

//CC1
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Swords to Plowshares

//CC2
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Glittering Wish
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Abrupt Decay

//CC3
    4 Shardless Agent
    1 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Deputy of Detention
    1 Aminatou, the Fateshifter

//CC4
    2 Knight of New Alara
    2 Bloodbraid Elf

//Lands
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Tundra
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Forest

//Sideboard
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dovin, Hand of Control
    1 Deputy of Detention
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render
    1 Abrupt Decay

Special mention for Aminatou, the Fateshifter as she takes the place JTMS.
    Aminatou can also set up a cascade and her Flicker ability synergizes very well with Teferi, Oko, Knight of Aurumn, Deputy, Strix and even Sculler.

Teferi also has added value as he can bounce, draw, then be flickered. His +1 ability also has its use as it can give Glittering Wish Flash, which makes for quite a difference.

No Uro atm as I think the deck might be better served by Kunoros. Having both in the SB is an option though but they are an nonbo of course.

Manabase also WIP.
    Last edited by Borg; 12-24-2020 at 06:05 AM.

yah I meant tribal. You have to ask yourself a few things when you are making the deck imo:

5c snow exists and gets to run multicolour cards AND single colour cards AND avoids most land hate. Whats the advantage of pillar vs astrolabe?

Is niv-mizzet reborn good enough?

interplanar beacon is an extremely strong land if you aren't doing tribal. Could you do a multicolour superfriends?

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Looks like this deck got some excellent cards in MH2.

Let's start with General Ferrous Rokiric
    A multicolor 3/1 for 3cmc is average.
    What puts him over the top though is
    1- his "hexproof from monocolered" : the most common removal cards can't target him : StP, Bolt, Fatal Push ...
    2- in a multicolored deck, he can generate an insane amount of Golems - especially when factoring in any Cascade effects.
    3- The Golems are White&Red, meaning they also benefit from the Knight of New Alara, so we're talking about possibly 6/6, 8/8 golems ... for free ...

And how about this possible addition : Grist, the Hunger Tide
    1- Grist is a Creature while in your hand, so you can use Ancient Ziggurat to cast him.
    2- His +1 Ability lets him generate potential 3/3, 5/5 ... insects for free.

Another card with some potential might be Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
    1- With a Knight of New Alara in play this is a 4/4 for just 2 mana
    2- with an ability to get multiple creatures in play at end of turn.
    3- unfortunately Pillar of the Paruns and Ancient Ziggurat cannot be used to fuel this ability
    4- and his handywork does not trigger any Cascade.

75 suggestion + a maybeboard

//CC1
    4 [M12#165] Birds of Paradise
    4 [DST#91] Aether Vial

//CC2
    4 [ALA#202] Tidehollow Sculler
    4 [FUT#156] Glittering Wish
    4 [2XM#191] Baleful Strix
    4 [RTR#141] Abrupt Decay
    3 [2XM#210] Meddling Mage

//CC3
    4 [EMA#206] Shardless Agent
    1 [THB#229] Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    1 [UMA#202] Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 [MH2#202] Grist, the Hunger Tide
    1 [MH2#198] General Ferrous Rokiric

//CC4
    3 [ARB#70] Knight of New Alara
    2 [C16#184] Bloodbraid Elf

//Lands
    4 [DIS#176] Pillar of the Paruns
    4 [ZEN#219] Marsh Flats
    4 [CON#141] Ancient Ziggurat
    2 [TMP#322] Reflecting Pool
    1 [VMA#323] Underground Sea
    1 [VMA#322] Tundra
    1 [2XM#377] Swamp
    1 [VMA#311] Savannah
    1 [2XM#373] Plains
    1 [VMA#293] Bayou

//Sideboard
    1 [SHM#243] Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 [WAR#221] Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 [C15#49] Meren of Clan Nel Toth
    1 [2XM#210] Meddling Mage
    1 [CN2#77] Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 [THB#222] Kunoros, Hound of Athreos
    1 [ARB#70] Knight of New Alara
    1 [GRN#183] Knight of Autumn
    1 [KLD#183] Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    1 [MH2#202] Grist, the Hunger Tide
    1 [MH2#198] General Ferrous Rokiric
    1 [LRW#248] Gaddock Teeg
    1 [WAR#229] Dovin, Hand of Control
    1 [RNA#165] Deputy of Detention
    1 [WAR#228] Ashiok, Dream Render

//Maybeboard
    1 [GPT#149] Wild Cantor
    1 [AFR#238] Volo, Guide to Monsters
    1 [2XM#227] Voice of Resurgence
    1 [MH1#216] Unsettled Mariner
    1 [GRN#203] Swiftblade Vindicator
    1 [RTR#201] Supreme Verdict
    1 [TMP#272] Soltari Guerrillas
    1 [ALA#188] Rhox War Monk
    1 [M21#224] Radha, Heart of Keld
    1 [GK2#43] Orzhov Pontiff
    1 [RNA#189] Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    1 [THB#221] Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
    1 [C20#11] Kelsien, the Plague
    1 [RTR#218] Judge's Familiar
    1 [A25#205] Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
    1 [INV#237] Captain Sisay
    1 [ARB#143] Bant Sureblade

Almost the entirety of this deck is modern legal. Unless you are specifically targeting something it feels like modern might be a better fit for the power level of this deck.

In modern it is more reasonable to run niv-mizzet too which seems very powerful in this deck.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Almost the entirety of this deck is modern legal.
    Missing double lands, Strixes, Leovold, Uro.
    That's already quite impactful

Missing double lands, Strixes, Leovold, Uro.
    That's already quite impactful
    I forgot about Leovold. Uro is pretty lacklustre with only a few fetches and no cantrips. Duals and strixen do make some amount of difference for sure.

It just seems underpowered… almost every deck in legacy has fast mana or force of Will or wasteland. The only exceptions are burn and elves (fireblast and cradle are essentially fast mana too).

This deck seems most similar to 4c loam. When brewing I recommend starting from a proven template. Vial maverick died a long time ago. Since mox diamond doesn’t work very well here I think you should replace vial with chrome mox or more dorks

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Your points are accurate Reeplcheep.
    Uro : not effective.
    Aether Vial : underwhelming as well, especially because the deck only has Birds at 1CC and when you don't have the vial on T1 I have the feeling it's too late afterwards and they become dead draws.

I did some goldfishing and the card that was really spectacular on T2 was General Ferrous Rokiric
    Once he's in place, the 4/4s start coming out quickly ( especially with a cascade on T3 ) and those provide fast beatdown as well as solid defense.

Besides the Birds, I'm trying out Once upon a Time as a T1 card and like it so far because :
    1- my mana base doesn't prevent this spell from being played on T1 ( being free to cast )
    2- this deck is mostly creatures and lands and OuaT always gives me something usefull
    3- as an opening spell this obviously helps fleshing out your starting hand.

//CC1
    4 Birds of Paradise

//CC2
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Once Upon a Time
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Glittering Wish
    1 Sylvan Library

//CC3
    4 Shardless Agent
    3 General Ferrous Rokiric
    1 Grist, the Hunger Tide

//CC4
    3 Knight of New Alara
    2 Bloodbraid Elf

//Lands
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    2 Reflecting Pool
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    1 Bayou
    Last edited by Borg; 10-19-2021 at 04:31 AM.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

This deck is quickly evolving into a General Ferrous Rokiric deck.
    That card is a powerhouse in this deck.
    With him out, nearly every card you play also generates a 4/4 Golem.

Casting instants can generate 4/4s on the spot.
    Abrupt Decay : destroyed opposing permanent + 4/4 Golem.

Or something like this :
    Cast Shardless Agent -> create 4/4 Golem -> cascade into and cast Baleful Strix or Tidehollow Sculler -> create another 4/4 Golem -> draw a card from strix / remove a card from opponent's hand with Sculler.
    That is 3 mana for FOUR creatures + a card draw or card removal.

I played a couple of practice games against 5c Humans today and the General won both.
    After weathering the first couple of rounds the 4/4s started coming out to stabilize and took over the game soon after.

Glittering Wish proved too slow and was taken out and replaced by Eladamri's Call
    This means a couple of golden bullets were moved from SB to MD Kunoros, Hound of Athreos and Orzhov Pontiff.

Wild Cantor has improved value. It can help the general come out T2 and if cast after the general it's 1 mana for a 1/1 + 4/4.

More practice games to come.
    Current deck

//CC1
    4 Birds of Paradise
    2 Wild Cantor

//CC2
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Lightning Helix
    2 Eladamri's Call

//CC3
    4 Shardless Agent
    4 General Ferrous Rokiric
    1 Orzhov Pontiff

//CC4
    2 Knight of New Alara
    2 Bloodbraid Elf

//Lands
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    2 Reflecting Pool
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    1 Bayou

TBC

Sep 2011

The biggest challenge to designing fair 5c is having a functional manabase. You need to be able to consistently play your cards through both draw variance and the opponent's disruption. Mana consistency issues are why this doesn't work more often in Legacy. (Modern doesn't have Waste+Port+B2B so you can be greedier)

Long ago, Domain Zoo was a thing. 5c just with fetches + duals. But that deck hasn't been viable for a long time and always had weak mana.

DRS and Astrolabe enabled 4c-5c greed, but they got banned.

The other recent 5c decks are tribal decks. Tribal allows Cavern of Souls + Unclaimed Territory (+Sliver Hive) + Aether Vial for a lot of mana fixing. But you don't want to play tribal.

Instead of tribal, you want to use these:
    2- The mana base is there with Pillar of the Paruns and Ancient Ziggurat to go cherrypicking among all 5 colors.
    If you go that route, the problem with them is that they can ONLY tap for multicolor and creatures. There's no option to just tap for 1 colorless or use on activated abilities, so they're even more limiting than Cavern. They shoehorn you into playing mostly multicolor creatures and avoiding activation costs.

Sure, you could still run some monocolor cards or multicolor noncreatures (like you could play off-tribe in a Tribal deck), but then your mana base works against you. You can get flooded with lands that can't cast the cards in your hand, making it easy for opponent to just Waste/Port the other one.

For example, in one of your above decks you're trying to play Brainstorm and Swords to Plowshares with a whopping 10 lands that can't cast either!
    I see 6 fetches + 2 blue lands, not even close to enough to rely on Brainstorm to fix hands (usually 8 fetch + 6 blue). At that point, why even play Brainstorm? What is that card doing for you vs the times it's dead or bad?

So if you want to build this around 4 Pillar + 4 Zig, there's a real risk-reward tradeoff to playing things that aren't multicolor creatures. It's even harder than playing off-tribe stuff in Tribal decks.

1- Multicolor creatures give you an edge in power/ability over their equivalent single color creatures. compare Reclamation Sage with Knight of Autumn to get the idea.
    This is usually true at higher CMCs. But for 1 cmc, multicolor creatures tend to be worse (because Hybrid costs are easier to pay). Legacy's best 1-mana creatures and spells are all monocolored. So there is a problem with finding good 1 drops for the curve, and Legacy is too fast to just skim on 1 drops.

Judge's Familiar and Dryad Militant should be top contenders because of their disruptive abilities, at least disrupting the opponent's superior game plan if you can't make as good a threat.

3- There's a wish card Glittering Wish that allows you to actually play the game with a 75 card deck and keep all your silver bullets at the ready in your SB
    I like this part. Although it's not necessary to play 5c for that. You could play Bant or WUGb and still use Glittering Wish tech.

Moving away from your rainbow lands might actually make it easier to curve into Glittering Wish. For example, Pillar of the Paruns cannot cast T1 Birds of Paradise and Ancient Ziggurat cannot cast Glittering Wish, while you could do that with a regular Bant manabase.

Sep 2011

Aether Vial : underwhelming as well, especially because the deck only has Birds at 1CC and when you don't have the vial on T1 I have the feeling it's too late afterwards and they become dead draws.
    Glittering Wish proved too slow and was taken out and replaced by Eladamri's Call
    I think the underlying problem here is not the speed of Vial or Wish but your overall curve. The decks above lack much going on at 1 mana. The curve really starts at 2-3 mana.

Legacy is a fast format. You can't skimp on the 1cmc spot. Tutors and Vial are just amplifying that your deck already did nothing interactive on turn 1, then you're spending another turn on development, so you're really starting the game a few turns later than the opponent. Then you're struggling to catch up playing only 1 card per turn. Lowering the curve should help.

Another build had a lower curve on paper (Brainstorm + StP), but they're hard to use with the mana so they don't really fill the role of 1 drops (hard to cast on turn 1, hard to cast with leftover random untapped land).

What if you try just playing more 1cc creatures that are easy to cast with your mana? Think
    Wild Cantor
    Judge's Familiar
    Dryad Militant

They at least get you on board and interacting with the opponent earlier.

Edit:
    10 1 drops should be a better start, making space by cutting 3-4 mana cards in your curve. Some 3-4 cmc stuff can be hidden in the Wishboard and accessed via Wish when you need them. The increased 1 drops will make it easier to trigger then general too.

Maybe something like this

//Lands: 20
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    4 Mana Confluence
    2 City of Brass
    2 Undiscovered Paradise
    4 Savannah

//1 cmc creatures: 12
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Judge's Familiar
    4 Dryad Militant

//2 cmc creatures: 12
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Meddling Mage

//3 cmc creatures: 8
    4 General Ferrous Rokiric
    2 Grist, the Hunger Tide
    2 Deputy of Detention

//Spells: 8
    4 Glittering Wish
    4 Assassin's Trophy

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Jegantha, the Wellspring
    1 Grist, the Hunger Tide
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    1 Knight of New Alara
    1 Omnath, Locus of Creation
    3 Endurance
    2 Force of Vigor

SB can be adjusted to whatever bullets you want.

Maindeck I went for a quad-laser approach because the maindeck lacks card selection. Situtational bullets can be in the wishboard.

I went with Trophy over Decay because you don't have that much removal so you want to be able to rely on your answers. Decay misses a lot.

The green count is high enough for Endurance and FoV, also speeding up your early interaction against fast decks.

Edit2: I cut Prismatic Endings. The card is so strong but not being able to pay with Ziggurat or Pillar is a real problem.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-19-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

I'll try out your suggestions, FTW.

I do miss the cascades though in your build as they are really bonkers with the General.
    The general can be abused by casting as much multicolor spells as possible imo and cascade seems to be a perfect handle for that.

Also, the Knight of New Alara is an alternative win route that fits perfectly in the concept. He can elevate all these weenies into beatsticks at once.

Sep 2011

Cascade and Knight have great synergy with the General. I just think they may be too slow for Legacy. The random cascades also get worse as the curve gets lower.

If you're really set on playing General with cascade and Knight of New Alara, consider Modern. That should be much easier to run in Modern. Legacy has to deal with fast tempo, mana denial, and fast combo. Bloodbraid and Knight are too likely to be stranded dead in hand or too slow to impact the game state.

Edit: In the Wishboard you could get really greedy with a few expensive bombs like Omnath, Locus of Creation or Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God. To increase your payoff for the multicolor shell.

Thread Information