Re: MultiColor Creatures - MCC

That's disappointing to hear.
    I have no desire to play modern at all.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    That's disappointing to hear.
    I have no desire to play modern at all.
    Feel free to still try it out in Legacy.

Have you tested much against other Legacy decks?

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Not yet, I just "discovered" the General two days ago :)
    Bought 4 copies on cardmarket from a Swedish seller for 0.19€ a piece.

All of the best multicolor creatures are humans. You barely lose anything going 5cc humans and playing Pillar of Paruns and C

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    All of the best multicolor creatures are humans. You barely lose anything going 5cc humans and playing Pillar of Paruns and C
    At 1cc there's only Wild Cantor and at 2cc Meddling Mage but I see no other 2cc multicolor humans which are better than Tidehollow Sculler or Baleful Strix.

Sep 2011

At 1cc there's only Wild Cantor and at 2cc Meddling Mage but I see no other 2cc multicolor humans which are better than Tidehollow Sculler or Baleful Strix.
    Yeah, they're not multicolor so you would lose Glittering Wish and the General.

Most of the creatures in 5c humans are monocolored...
    Noble Hierarch
    Champion of the Parish
    Mother of Runes
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Thalia's Lieutenant
    Charming Prince
    Kitesail Freebooter
    Imperial Recruiter
    Sanctum Prelate
    Palace Jailer
    Venser, Shaper Savant

Most of them are not multicolor. General is a human, but to trigger him you would need to replace the good humans with others that are multicolored.
    Meddling Mage
    Unsettled Mariner
    Reflector Mage
    Kelsien, the Plague
    Orzhov Pontiff
    ...?

But then you lose most of the best humans.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-20-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    . General is a human, but to trigger him you would need to replace the good humans with others that are multicolored.
    Meddling Mage
    Unsettled Mariner
    Reflector Mage
    Kelsien, the Plague
    Orzhov Pontiff
    ...?

But then you lose most of the best humans.
    Theres a few other multicolored humans to abuse with the new human General 4/4 maker...

Shardless Agent

Knight of New Alara

Lavinia

Kambal

Mantis Rider

And I am sure a few others Im forgetting.

But I see your point, no reason to give up so many creatures just to be able to play Cavern of Souls, and Unclaimed Territory

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Q: What is the ideal mana base for this deck ?

A: 20 lands seems like the right number so far.

4x Pillar of the Paruns and
    4x Ancient Ziggurat are a given.

6x dual lands : a dual land for every color combination we have on T2 and a Plateau for the General.

4x Marsh Flats: the only fetch that can get all 6 duals.

That brings the total to 18.

2x Reflecting Pool: these two lands so far have shown to be critical, arguably the most important in the mana base.
    Why ?
    1. Obviously, in combination with Pillar and Ziggurat you can tap them for any color of mana but
    2. they are especially effective in combination with the dual lands. They effectively become your second and third dual land of every type and they are highly effective in getting your 2cc spells out on T2.

Let's say you have an opening hand of a fetchland and a Reflecting Pool with

a. Tidehollow Sculler : fetch the Scrubland T1. T2 Pool and you can play Sculler.
    b. Meddling Mage : fetch the Tundra T1. T2 Pool and you can play the Mage.
    c. Abrupt Decay : fetch the Bayou T1. T2 Pool and your Decay is playable.
    You get the idea.

FTW was also correct in stating we need more 1 drops.
    Glad I followed his advice as the deck has a much more solid feeling with them.

So far I'm leaning towards 4x Wild Cantor for the simple reason that they can enable a T2 General and once the general is in place they are a 1cc spell for a 1/1 + a 4/4 critter.
    Also nice about them is that you can cast one, leaving just one mana open, and still surprise your opponent with a Decay/Trophy by saccing them.

Judge's Familiar is another nice T1 drop that can potentially stop Thoughtseize or FoW to name a couple and that can turn into a 3/3 flyer.
    3 of them seems the right number, leaving one spot for a Dryad Militant.

Decay and Trophy are just fantastic with the General.
    A removal at eot and a 4/4 as a bonus who can attack on your upcoming turn or a removal during opponent's attack phase with an instant 4/4 blocker.

I upped the Knight of New Alara to 3 again as they are your second path to victory and with 7 copies between the general and Knight you will more reliably have at least one of them in your opening hand.
    Note: none of these 7 cards are redundant.
    Knight effects stack and the general creates another 4/4 if played over another General.

The deck has 3 open spots atm which are taken by Leovold, Kunoros and Grist.

SB is also still WIP.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome as I would really love for this deck to be competitive in a legacy environment.

//CC1
    4 Wild Cantor
    4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Judge's Familiar
    1 Dryad Militant

//CC2
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Baleful Strix
    3 Meddling Mage
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Glittering Wish
    2 Assassin's Trophy

//CC3
    4 General Ferrous Rokiric
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Kunoros, Hound of Athreos
    1 Grist, the Hunger Tide

//CC4
    3 Knight of New Alara

//Lands
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    2 Reflecting Pool
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Plateau
    1 Bayou

//Sideboard
    2 Knight of Autumn
    2 Deputy of Detention
    1 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Rhox War Monk
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Meddling Mage
    1 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    1 Kelsien, the Plague
    1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dovin, Hand of Control
    1 Assassin's Trophy
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render

Sep 2011

The deck looks a lot smoother with the lower curve and more 1cmcs!

Wild Cantor looks good for mana fixing and setting up General.

For the manabase, after 4 Pillar + 4 Ziggurat, I think the most important thing is that most of the other 12 lands can cast T1 Birds of Paradise or Wild Cantor. You really want those on turn 1 to curve out smoothly, ramp into T2 General, and fix colors. I forget the exact math on this, but I think that means approx 14 lands that can cast T1 Birds. Pillar of the Paruns already can't cast Birds, so that means maybe 10/12 of the other lands should make T1 green.

In your manabase you have many lands that don't make T1 green: 2 Reflecting Pools + Underground Sea + Tundra + Scrubland + Plateau. I think that will lead to mana problems and awkward curve outs. Even with Marsh Flats, you have to fetch Bayou or Savannah to play T1 Birds. That forces you to get black or white, without red or blue.

In the list I posted above, I had 4x Savannah + Mana Confluences. That was because they all cast Birds or Judge's Familiar on turn 1. Also, most cards in the deck have either green or white mana. Savannah+rainbow land can cast just about anything (except Baleful Strix).

If you want fetches and duals, maybe it should be a green fetchland + mostly green duals. Example:
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    Windswept Heath can get any land. You can also get T1 green mana + any other color of your choice, to help set up the turn 2 play. I think that will work better than the Marsh Flats package.

Reflecting Pool is strong on turn 2 but can't cast turn 1 Birds (or anything). Pool is also awkward vs Wasteland. Opponent can waste your Ziggurat/Pillar and then turn off Pool as well, a 2-for-1. So I would avoid too many Pools. If you want 2 Pools, then maybe play some Mana Confluences instead of non-green duals.

Note: Plateau is not needed to cast General. He needs R and W from separate lands, not the same land. Taiga + Savannah can cast General (or 1 of them + 5 color land).

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Also, most cards in the deck have either green or white mana. Savannah+rainbow land can cast just about anything (except Baleful Strix).
    Bumps forehead.
    I was still going by "most cards have either white or black" : thus Marsh Flats + duals, but that was before I added Cantors, Familiars and Militant.
    Now Windswept Heath and Duals obviously makes more sense and ups my green T1 sources from 10 to 12

Reflecting Pool is strong on turn 2 but can't cast turn 1 Birds (or anything). Pool is also awkward vs Wasteland. Opponent can waste your Ziggurat/Pillar and then turn off Pool as well, a 2-for-1. So I would avoid too many Pools. If you want 2 Pools, then maybe play some Mana Confluences instead of non-green duals.
    Point taken.
    1 Mana Confluence is certainly a possibility ( I don't own that card but I do have City of Brass, which is technically the same, correct, until I'm missing something that makes one better than the other )
    I've also considered 1Thran Quarry for this deck because of the staying power of the General but have still categorized it as too risky.

Note: Plateau is not needed to cast General. He needs R and W from separate lands, not the same land. Taiga + Savannah can cast General (or 1 of them + 5 color land).
    I added a Plateau because during one test play I didn't get any Pillar, Ziggurat, Bird nor Cantor but did have a fetchland ... but no red source to go get.
    Taiga solves this situation as well.

Thanks for the help/support FTW.
    Thanks to your input this deck has become a lot stronger already.
    May I suggest you play a few games with it as well.
    Actually playing the deck is usually even more informative.

https://deckstats.net/decks/51702/1865193-mc-

Sep 2011

Glad to be of help.

City of Brass is good enough. Mana Confluence is better vs Rishadan Port (City deals you damage when Port taps it!!). That's the only difference that comes up often in Legacy. Otherwise they're almost the same card. Don't waste money on Mana Confluence if you have City.

I had issues with Reflecting Pool when testing another 5 color deck (Dwarves), that's why I brought it up. There were awkward games vs Wasteland where the remaining lands couldn't tap for the right colors, and I would have been less mana-screwed if Reflecting Pool was any other 5-color land. Legacy is full of Wastelands.

I'll give the deck a try. It looks fun.

Have you tested much against other Legacy decks yet?

Sep 2011

May I suggest you play a few games with it as well.
    Actually playing the deck is usually even more informative.
    We tested this against a few decks.

4-6 vs Burn (I usually start with Burn as a benchmark for "is this fast enough for Legacy?")
    0-5 vs UR 2Delver
    2-3 vs Goblins
    1-4 vs BR Reanimator

When the deck worked, it was great. Sometimes I made multiple 4/4 tokens on turn 3 or went big with Knight. But other times I had a bunch of high cmc cards stranded in hand, had mana disrupted, or just lost to faster decks. As expected, there was a bit too much at the top end and not enough fast interaction with the opponent's plan. Sometimes the lands were awkward and couldn't tap for what I needed, especially after getting Wasted.

I thought the deck would at least do well against combo (Meddling Mage + Tidehollow), but Reanimator is too fast. It might be good vs slower combos.

I would try to speed up the deck and improve consistency. 4 Glittering Wish, a couple Once Upon A Time, more Grists main, and more stable mana. Knight of New Alara was cute but slow and dies to any removal... maybe fewer copies main and 1 in the Wishboard?

//Lands: 20
    4 Ancient Ziggurat
    4 Pillar of the Paruns
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Bayou

//Creatures: 28
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Wild Cantor
    4 Judge's Familiar
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Baleful Strix
    4 General Ferrous Rokiric
    1 Knight of New Alara

//Planeswalkers: 2
    2 Grist, the Hunger Tide

//Spells: 10
    4 Glittering Wish
    4 Assassin's Trophy
    2 Once Upon A Time

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Deputy of Detention
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Kelsien, the Plague
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render
    1 Knight of New Alara
    2 Endurance
    2 Solitude

I’ve tried at various times to build a 5-color Pillar deck because I like decks that play too many colors. The sticking point is always the early game... what can you play for one mana, and how can you stop fast combo?

My approach — not that I ever arrived at anything playable — always hinges on blue. I figured that if most of the cards were blue, you could cast FoW. If all the cards shared a color (say, blue), you could accelerate with Chrome Mox. Then the problem changes from “how do I have early game” to “how do I recover the card advantage lost in the early game”. I dunno if that’s easier to solve, but I can imagine there being 3cc or 4cc bombs that let you catch up. That approach might lose Rokiric, which is the biggest payoff ever for multicolor and the heart and soul of your build, so who knows.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/S...%5BCreature%5D

That’s a Gatherer search for multicolor blue creatures with CMC less than or equal to 4... You’ve probably tried this, but maybe it helps.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Thank you very much, FTW, for taking the time to test this deck out.

The results against Burn and Goblins are encouraging.
    Vs 2Delver needs more work apparently.
    Reanimator is ... well ... Reanimator.

I must say your new build looks very promising and to the point, with all the "bling" removed.

16 T1 green sources for the Birds. Just wondering if those 4 painlands may not inflict too much damage.

Shaving off 1 Strix is likely a good move as he's the most difficult to cast on T2 at times.

Only 1 Knight seems like one too little but probably the right number main deck.

I always liked having OuaT in there as well as it lets you hold onto opening hands which you would otherwise (have to) mulligan. I eventually cut it because it doesn't trigger the General. Glad to see it back in there though.

If you're set on 4x Glittering Wish, maybe having 1 General in the SB is a good idea.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    I’ve tried at various times to build a 5-color Pillar deck because I like decks that play too many colors. The sticking point is always the early game... what can you play for one mana, and how can you stop fast combo?

My approach — not that I ever arrived at anything playable — always hinges on blue. I figured that if most of the cards were blue, you could cast FoW. If all the cards shared a color (say, blue), you could accelerate with Chrome Mox.
    Yeah, you've hit the problem on the nail. The deck just needs more early game. It's playing at Modern speed instead of Legacy speed. It needs more interaction on turn 1 and turn 0.

I tried to work with OP's shell (which is heavier in GWB and built around the General), but blue for FoW may be the answer. Even with Dwarves, I tilted that way too. Force just does so much to both police unfair decks and protect engine cards. Mox to accelerate hatebears seems good too. If the rest of the deck is blue-heavy, it's still possible to run 4x General. Free 4/4s are card advantage.

It might be possible to keep OP's plan and just play more turn 0 cards in the SB. I added Endurance and Solitude to interact with fast combo (Reanimator, Depths, Hogaak, Show and Tell). There are plenty of other non-blue turn 0 options like Surgical Extraction, Force of Vigor, Faerie Macabre, Leyline of the Void, Mindbreak Trap. OP's wishboard took up the whole SB with slow multicolor stuff. Maybe the wishboard just needs to shrink to make room for more hate: 7-8 turn 0 cards & 7-8 wish targets seems better.
    Last edited by FTW; 10-22-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Sep 2011

Some more details about the test games.

The results against Burn and Goblins are encouraging.
    I would have won even more against Burn if it wasn't for both Price of Progress and Eidolon of the Great Revel hating out what this deck is trying to do. Both added up to huge damage, often racing me by exactly 1 turn. Other games warped completely around those cards (e.g. Meddling Mage/Tidehollow takes them, then then Burn player flings bolts at hatebears to get them back). Otherwise, General represented a fast clock and was immune to burn!

I think both Goblins wins came from Wish for Orzhov Pontiff. Otherwise General is vulnerable to Munitions Expert and Knight dies to everything so it wasn't great to just power them out (and mana denial often made that impossible anyway). One game I thought I was getting there with General + 3 4/4s but they stabilized with Sling-Gang Lieutenant + Pashalik Mons.

Vs 2Delver needs more work apparently.
    UR 2Delver felt unwinnable in the current build. That deck is too efficient at out-tempoing slower decks like this. The fact that Abrupt Decay can't kill Murktide Regent really hurt (also hurt vs Reanimator). I wished it was Assassin's Trophy.

Wasteland + "Bolting the bird" really messed up the mana. Wild Cantor could fix colors and ramp, but the card disadvantage makes a difference in these tempo games, and sometimes I just needed it to block Ragavan.

Knight was very weak in this match. 4 mana is very slow and it just dies to Bolt.
    General was much much better than Knight. Not only does it generate board advantage but it dodges most fair removal in the format. It's that perfect mix of payoff and resilience. It was scary enough that it either forced a race or demanded FoW. One game felt potentially winnable after I got Meddling Mage on FoW and then curved out General on 4 mana (around Daze), but Murktide was faster.

I think this match would get better with 4 Dryad Militant. Militant shuts down DRC and Murktide, really slowing down their clock unless they answer it. That plus a few hatebears might be enough tempo to get to General and get there with 4/4s before Murktide does it. Boarding in Endurance should also help.

Reanimator is ... well ... Reanimator.
    Reanimator should have been 0-5 too. I got lucky with opponent punting a match. They kept an "end step discard" 7-card hand on the play setting up for turn 3 Unmask+Reanimate, but that let me disrupt with turn 2 Tidehollow Sculler, turn 3 Meddling Mage, then Wish for Kuronos to lock them out. That was really the only way I could interact. They had to play slow enough to let hatebears do things.

If they just played fast under hatebears I could do nothing. So every other game they just mulled into turn 1 Serra's Emissary. Or turn 1 Griselbrand-> 4x Unmask/Grief to shred my hand -> Animate Chancellor & Reanimate my Meddling Mage naming Assassin's Trophy, go. That happened twice!

This matchup emphasized the need for turn 0 interaction. Endurance adds a lot. Even if you don't have it, playing around it slows them down and then they don't lock you out of the game on turn 1.

If you're set on 4x Glittering Wish
    Glittering Wish did a lot in my few wins. Kunoros vs Reanimator, Orzhov Pontiff vs Goblins, Kambal vs Burn. The SB has so many silver bullets that lock out specific decks. I think you want access to them as often as possible. With only 2 Wish, you're not finding those cards in time to matter and might as well cut the wishboard.

Don't know about using Wish to set up General. It was mainly useful to tutor for situational answers or chain spells to make multiple 4/4s with General already out.

16 T1 green sources for the Birds. Just wondering if those 4 painlands may not inflict too much damage.
    Depending on how you sequence and use lands, it might only be 2-4 damage in a game. That damage beats getting manascrewed and not being able to play what you need on curve. I had mana issues vs both Delver and Goblins.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Good point about the 4 Wishes.
    They should not have to be used on getting a General from the wishboard.
    The wishes should be used on silver bullets alright.

Were there any cards in the SB that you felt were not needed ?
    Are Lavinia or Ashiok, for example too situational or not ?
    If you'd have to rank the silver bullets in order of importance, what would be your order ?

I ask because I like your idea of reducing the silver bullets to 7-8 copies and use the rest on T0 interaction, especially if that's the deck's weak point.

And ... how did Grist do ?

Sep 2011

Grist was good but I didn't see it often. I wanted more flexible board interaction in general so I went up to 2 copies.

I got Lavinia once vs Delver. She shut off Force and Daze, but at that stage I needed to worry more about Murktide and DRCs. Lavinia seems better in matchups I didn't test (Bant, Doomsday, Storm). I'd keep her for now. Although maybe Gaddock Teeg already handles the same cards.

Wish+Ashiok is too slow to stop graveyard decks. I would cut that and just board in 3 Endurance.

I never wished for Rhox War Monk. It seems redundant when Kunoros has lifelink too.

Kelsien is a bit slow. I got it once vs Goblins, but it only killed one goblin before dying to removal. Orzhov Pontiff is probably better vs 1/1s.

Edit:
    //Possible SB
    3 Endurance
    2 Solitude
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Deputy of Detention
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Knight of New Alara

This keeps a lot of tools while also running more turn 0 hate.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Guttural Response
    Decisive Denial
    Grisly Salvage
    Zealous Persecution
    Drown in the Loch
    Dovin's Veto

Z Persecution maybe instead of Pontiff ?
    Gutteral Response is also tempting imo.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

I took General Ferrous Rokiric back to the drawing board.

A creature that can stand tall on the battlefield and survive on his own AND generate 4/4 golems is simply too good to pass up.

The power of the deck is obviously in the 2cc category where you can cherrypick the best 2cc multicolor spells from the game and not only get their excellent effect but a 4/4 golem on top for free.

The weakness of the original deck was in the 1cc category.
    I tried to make it an "all multicolor cards" deck but the 1cc cards are just not good enough. They offer too little and do not interact enough with the opponent.

I adjusted the mana base to have a more traditional opening, ( fetchland, basic ) then swith to multicolor mode and since the deck is mostly black and white I chose some of the best black and white 1cc spells that synergize with this deck.

Inquisition, Thoughtseize and Duress are great opening plays that can perfectly set up Meddling Mage & co.
    Alternatively, Mother of Runes is a great addition to help Sculler and Strix stay on the board.

Thus, step 1 of the revised strategy : attack opponent's hand.
    Step 2 : attack it even more ( with Sculler, MM ) or blow up what's already in play. ( Plow or Rip Apart )

Rip Apart is a good card in general because of its versatility but in combination with the general it's just great/fantastic.

Once opponent's hand and board are (at least somewhat) diminished step three brings out the General.

Kolaghan's Command is another addition to the deck because it is so effective with the General.
    It can bring the General back to your hand if he got countered or removed in some way.
    Destroy Vials, Chalices, Shadowspears,
    Make opponent discard again or blow away the Ragavans of this world.
    ... and create a 4/4 golem on top.

Kaya, Orzhov Usurper is another card I love getting in hand. She can take care of annoying 0-1 cc permanents without breaking a sweat. If she gets accompanied by a 4/4 bodyguard it's even better.
    Her +ability is good vs DRC and Murktide.

A card I have trouble evaluating is Silverquill Silencer.
    It's clearly Orzhov's version of Meddling Mage, even the art, style, pose and colors are identical.
    Meddling Mage can be very strong but can also be lackluster at times and that's where Silverquill Silencer might be a better alternative.

Peek into your opponent's hand with a discard spell T1.
    T2 play the silencer and name what your opponent is most likely to play next. This can put your opponent in a bind. Hold back the named card and stunt his build-up or go ahead and take 3 life loss and grant us a card.

The possible card draw is an aspect which might be preferential as well over naming a card with MM which might not show up.
    Silencer on Brainstorm, Ponder or FoW for that matter sounds sweet.

I'd like to hear other people's input on this card.

Anyway, I tried two practice games vs 2Delver yesterday and won both after two rather long games.
    Got hit by Ragavan at some point and he twice exiled an Inquisition which immediately disposed of my General and the other time of KCommand, both of which would have tilted the game in my favour earlier.

Eventually brought a General back with KCommand in one game and from that point on the Golems took over.

Overall, lots of discard and board destruction seemed like a good strategy to take on 2Delver.
    This new deck looks and plays much stronger imo than the earlier versions.

//CC1 - 14
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Mother of Runes
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress

//CC2 - 16
    4 Tidehollow Sculler
    4 Rip Apart
    4 Baleful Strix
    2 Silverquill Silencer
    2 Meddling Mage