1x Endurance
    1x Outland Liberator
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Undermountain Adventurer
    1x Arasta of the Endless Web
    1x Walking Ballista
    1x Collector Ouphe

OP:
    Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here. For a little background, I'm a longtime Dragon Stompy player that was looking for something different to play at my local Legacy FNM and yesterday my mind wandered to the Scurry Oak + Ivy Lane Denizen combo. Seeing as both cards only have a single colored mana in their casting costs, I thought about how the combo could fit into a Mono-Green Chalice Aggro (Stompy) shell.

I only had 2 copies of both Oak and Denizen, so I put together a deck that only ran 1 of each in the main and then 1 of each in the sideboard with some Living Wishes and Green Sun's Zeniths to search for them. The rest of the deck was just a hodgepodge of solid silver bullet cards and some random threats that I wanted to try out. I ran the deck at FNM with low expectations and it surprisingly went 3-0 against Lands, Burn, and High Tide. The results made me think the deck might be worth taking a look at, so I thought I'd share it here.

Creatures:
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    3x Tireless Tracker
    1x Scurry Oak
    1x Ivy Lane Denizen
    1x Hexdrinker
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Courser of Kruphix
    1x Questing Beast
    1x Thrun, the Last Troll
    1x Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Noncreature:
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Living Wish
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Trinisphere
    1x Once Upon a Time
    1x Garruk Wildspeaker
    1x Vivien, Monsters' Advocate

Lands:
    10x Forest
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Turntimber Symbiosis

Sideboard:
    4x Leyline of the Void
    1x Scurry Oak
    1x Ivy Lane Denizen
    1x Collector Ouphe
    1x Stingerfling Spider
    1x Force of Vigor
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Dosan the Falling Leaf
    1x Karakas
    1x Thragtusk
    1x Nightpack Ambusher

As I played it, I really started getting the feeling that there need to be more Oaks and Denizens in the main. I'm planning on bumping both up to 3 copies while removing maybe the Tireless Trackers and Nissa or Thrun. I'm also going to try to squeeze a couple copies of Endurance in somewhere between the main and side. I would have ran some in the original list, but couldn't get any copies on short notice. With the addition of Endurance I'll also probably drop the Leylines in the side for something else (maybe Chokes?). A card that has definitely performed above expectations was Garruk and I think that he might deserve a second copy in the main. The fact that he can +1 to untap sol lands is pretty nutty and allows for some really strong lines of play when he comes down. Garruk also seems to play into my thoughts that the deck seems to have a stronger manabase than Dragon Stompy tends to. Firing off Green Sun's Zenith for Dryad Arbor seems to smooth things out more than I originally thought.

I'll probably won't get to try out an updated list for couple of weeks, but until then let me know what you think! Comments/suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Zupponn; 02-14-2023 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Re: Squirrel Stompy?

Concordant Crossroads should be in there somewhere or you lose to mass removal.
    Alternatively Natural Order + Craterhoof Behemoth.

TBH I don't see what green brings to the table in the stompy shell that makes it worth it.
    You don't even play Veil of Summer.

Also no Endurance.

While you have more access to tutors, you're much more vulnerable to removal than Earthcraft + Squirrel Nest which hasn't seen play in a decade.
    I don't think the free wins from Chalice/3Sphere make it worth it to not just play something better and more resilient.

I think the idea can be neat, but at the same time i would play it differently (i.e. more strong cards)
    One of the biggest plus of G stompy (in my sylvan plug experience) is Sylvan Library, that should be a 2-3x
    Endurance is a perfect card bc it covers bad mu as hate and it's a good defence against delver, both things that we need. If budget isn't a problem i would probably go for 3-4 copies

So, imho the core should be

4x Chrome Mox
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Trinisphere
    3x Sylvan
    4 ESG

Then 3-4 Endurance, 4 copies each of the combo, 2 big creature that gives another angle of attack (one of them can be Hexdrinker) and then other silver bullets. Dunno which pw is the best here, i fear that Vivien requires more creatures

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

You probably want some Walking Ballista in there as both removal and value target for Ivy Lane Denizen.

Endurance is also an absolute must. But you also need a plan how to deal with Murktide. Maybe a light black splash + Grist as tutor target?

Allosaurus Shepherd might have some merit here to get your stuff through counters - it doesn't care about your own Chalice @1.

Might be overkill, but Gaea's Cradle with infinite tokens is also infinite mana, which could be used for the Ballista instanuke.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Dryad of the Ilysian Grove in Stompy decks, especially in conjunction with Ramunap Excavator.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Also no Endurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    2-3x Endurance
    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Endurance is also an absolute must.
    For sure. I have some on order and am planning on going with 2 in the main and 1 in the side.

Concordant Crossroads should be in there somewhere or you lose to mass removal.
    Alternatively Natural Order + Craterhoof Behemoth.
    Crossroads wouldn't play well with Chalice on 1.

Craterhoof was suggested to me before, but seems too expensive to cast. Plus it would add more cards needed for the combo, which probably isn't good.

Do you think there's a lot of mass removal out there right now? My lands opponent was lucky to topdeck his Tabernacle against me after I comboed in one game (over a million triggers lol) and Terminus and Plague Engineer are out there I guess. Can't think of too much else.

You don't even play Veil of Summer.
    I wouldn't run Veil with Chalice.

TBH I don't see what green brings to the table in the stompy shell that makes it worth it.
    While you have more access to tutors, you're much more vulnerable to removal than Earthcraft + Squirrel Nest which hasn't seen play in a decade.
    I don't think the free wins from Chalice/3Sphere make it worth it to not just play something better and more resilient.
    That's a fair point. I didn't think it would do well when I put it together. But once I got into some games it felt better than it looked. If I would give a reason to play it over other stompy decks, I would say that the mana is better. Don't know if it's a great reason, but it's a reason.

I think the idea can be neat, but at the same time i would play it differently (i.e. more strong cards)
    One of the biggest plus of G stompy (in my sylvan plug experience) is Sylvan Library
    I was thinking about some number of Libraries, but was worried about the potential life loss with Tombs and whether they would be good enough without fetches. I don't have a ton of experience with playing the card, so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

i fear that Vivien requires more creatures
    I wanted to try her out because her -2 with a Denizen finds Oak and combos. When I played her yesterday she felt decent enough to keep her for now.

You probably want some Walking Ballista in there as both removal and value target for Ivy Lane Denizen.
    Good suggestion. I'll probably find room in the side for a copy.

But you also need a plan how to deal with Murktide. Maybe a light black splash + Grist as tutor target?
    Stingerfling kills it, but that's probably not the best solution. I also thought about splashing for black and maybe using Grist or something, but I don't want to shell out for the Bayous at the moment.

Allosaurus Shepherd might have some merit here to get your stuff through counters - it doesn't care about your own Chalice @1.
    Another great suggestion. I'll see if I can get my hands on one and replace Dosan with this in the side.

Might be overkill, but Gaea's Cradle with infinite tokens is also infinite mana, which could be used for the Ballista instanuke.
    Yeah probably overkill. Also, like the Craterhoof idea, just adds more cards needed for the combo kill. I don't think I want to spend a grand per copy too lol.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Dryad of the Ilysian Grove in Stompy decks, especially in conjunction with Ramunap Excavator.
    Do you think you'd need to play fetches for these cards (at least excavator) to be worth it?

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

It's been a while, but I've been playing this deck for about a year now and have come to a far more solid list than before. I've updated the OP with the current list that I run. I don't know if it's a world killer, but it's definitely fun to play and seems decently competitive.

Thread Information