Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bumbleberry Pie

Sep 2011

Re: Bumbleberry Pie

Re control playing cards dead until turn 4: there are many Yorion piles playing things like Aluren, Primeval Titan, Field of the Dead, Wandering Emperor, Mystic Sanctuary. In an 80-card deck with cantrips the probability of getting flooded with lategame tools early is low. Cutting down to 2 Sanctum may help.

With multiple 2-mana enchantments it's not really "dead" on turn 3. It taps for W like a regular land, casting the 3-mana plays. Then it starts ramping on turn 4 or later. If you play control with Soothsaying then there are even more cheap enablers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Soothsaying/aminatou counterbalance is another approach. The miracles approach probably wants more miracles and less trial/strix though, which were the reasons we are in black.
    1-2 Terminus may be enough without cutting Trial/Strix. Miracles has run Coatl and Strix before, especially in 80-card. You aren't forced into 3-4x Terminus if the rest of the deck already handles creatures well.

This seems very interesting for the full control builds.

Temporary Lockdown / 1WW
    Enchantment
    When Temporary Lockdown enters the battlefield, exile each nonland permanent with mana value 2 or less until Temporary lockdown leaves the battlefield.

https://mythicspoiler.com/dmu/cards/...ylockdown.html

It is better against tokens than out of time, and doesn’t require red like hitsegu consumes all. Eating up your own trials and omens punishes people for removing it.

The “snapcaster” saga also seems very useful for a controlling build. The first chapter is nice with discard and the third chapter rebuying endings helps a ton with killing planeswalkers. Getting to skip ahead to the mill part makes it actually quite annoying for doomsday.

Founding the Third Path
    1U
    Enchantment - Saga
    Read ahead (Choose a chapter and start with that many lore counters. Add one after your draw step. Skipped chapters don't trigger. Sacrifice after III.)

I - You may cast an instant or sorcery spell with mana value 1 or 2 from your hand without paying its mana cost.

II - Target player mills four cards.

III - Exile target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard. Copy it. You may cast the copy.

This would be where I start with the control build.

4 Founding the Third Path
    4 Trial of Ambition
    3 Omen of the sea
    3 Court of Grace

3 Temporal Isolation
    4 Estrid’s Invocation
    3 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

4 Brainstorm
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Prismatic Ending
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will
    2 Force of Negation

2 Serra’s Sanctum
    1 Hall of Heliod
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Delta
    4 Strand
    3 Flats
    4 Vista
    1 Snow Swamp
    3 Snow Island
    2 Snow Plains

It has a nice blue count, oodles of removal, and a few different wincons. The primary plan is destroy everything and then play a court. Sanctum gets a bit worse with less enchantments but is still reasonably powerful. Third path recurs discard and temporal isolation flickers everything when removal is bad.

Sep 2011

Founding looks like a boost for the control version, especially if you don't build around Counterbalance. Now you still have 2 good blue enchantments to curve into Estrid for those games where you don't want a Trial effect.

The backup "Snapcaster mode" is nice (start at Chapter 3). Sometimes it will also freecast a spell from hand. But that also means you need enough spells to gain value, so that it isn't a blank. Note that blinking chapters 1-2 over and over doesn't generate any card advantage. Freecasting Prismatic Ending also fails. You probably need 4 Brainstorm 4 Ponder to gain velocity from those freecasts. The 4th Omen is probably also better than the 4th Founding, because Founding is conditional value (the floor is card negative) while Omen always digs.

Why Temporal Isolation? You have oodles of 1-for-1 removal, but the same problem as before vs go-wide decks. Supreme Verdict seems good. You don't need cute stuff like Out of Time if you're playing without tokens. Verdict has no drawback and is uncounterable.

Keeping the same manabase, I would build it in this direction:

//Companion: 1
    1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

//Lands: 27
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strands
    4 Prismatic Vista
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    3 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp

//Spells: 27
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Prismatic Ending
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Supreme Verdict

//Planeswalkers: 5
    2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

//Enchantments: 18
    4 Omen of the Sea
    4 Trial of Ambition
    3 Founding the Third Path
    4 Estrid's Invocation
    2 Temporary Lockdown
    1 Court of Grace

Total = 77 cards

That still has space for 3 more cards. Those slots could be more mana (1 Hall of Storm Giants seems strong late game with sanctum mana). Or the 4th Thoughtseize, more Court of Grace, Teferi, Time Raveler, Baleful Strix, or maybe 1 Sevinne's Reclamation (returns Sanctum and all your PWs, on top of the enchantments). Dress Down seems good for the SB, maybe even 1 main.

Edit: How does your SB mapping usually work? Verdict seems important, but then you also have 10 slots to bring out vs creatureless combo (4 Trial 4 StP 2 Verdict).

Temporal isolation was supposed to be temporary lockdown. It isn’t uncounterable, but hitting non-lands is huge vs stuff like lands, and hitting our own omens and trials raise the floor considerably.

Your comment on omen vs third path is good.

I really wanted to fit in sevinnes due to the mill and serras synergy, but I was worried it would leave us reasonably likely to just lose to surgical on court and ran Kaya instead. What would you cut?

Sep 2011

Temporal isolation was supposed to be temporary lockdown. It isn’t uncounterable, but hitting non-lands is huge vs stuff like lands, and hitting our own omens and trials raise the floor considerably.
    Oh, ok. That makes more sense. I still think a split with Verdict is better. Verdict is uncounterable, permanent, and will hit bigger creatures. Lockdown misses a lot and can be uncounterably removed (Boseiju, Decay, Cavern/Vial). Against Vial Aggro, giving them their ETB effects back isn't ideal either.

Maybe you want 2 Lockdown 1 Verdict, with a 2nd Verdict in the SB?

I really wanted to fit in sevinnes due to the mill and serras synergy, but I was worried it would leave us reasonably likely to just lose to surgical on court and ran Kaya instead. What would you cut?
    You don't need to cut? The list you had above is under 80 cards. The list I posted has room for 3 more too.

This is what I get for posting lists stream of consciousness.
    It is missing 4 ponder, which is one of the best cards in legacy and also gives a better sorcery density for third path. Based on your version I guess sevinnes is better than the 3rd court?

Pitches to fow and uncounterable is a consideration for sure. With 4 trial 4 plow do I really need to be scared of large creatures? Giving stuff back is bad but so is not hitting vial/kaldra/retrofitter/mox diamond/wish claw talisman

I haven't played the control versions in a very long time. I could keep the etutor package or focus on generally applicable 2 cmc spells. Doubling up on Fracture and hymn to tourach seems quite strong and gives you lots of ins to pair with the removal

Sep 2011

This is what I get for posting lists stream of consciousness.
    It is missing 4 ponder, which is one of the best cards in legacy and also gives a better sorcery density for third path.
    That makes much more sense. I did not understand 0 Ponder in 80-card 3-color control, or playing Third Path without Ponder. So the first tweaks I made were cutting top end to add 4 Ponder.

Based on your version I guess sevinnes is better than the 3rd court?
    I think so. 3x Court is overkill. You don't want 2 copies - if the first 1 is working you're already winning, and if it's not then the 2nd one is bad too (or you already have tech to flicker/copy it). Sevinne's has so many good targets in your deck: every single one of your engine cards and value cards.

Pitches to fow and uncounterable is a consideration for sure. With 4 trial 4 plow do I really need to be scared of large creatures? Giving stuff back is bad but so is not hitting vial/kaldra/retrofitter/mox diamond/wish claw talisman
    True, maybe you have enough answers for big creatures.

I would just worry about relying on 3x Lockdown as your only sweeper vs opponents who will already board in all their enchantment kill against your deck. Opponent's EOT Boseiju, Who Endures/Force of Vigor/Wear // Tear/Abrupt Decay/Chain of Vapor/Petty Theft will catch you by surprise suddenly resetting their board. Relying on one artifact/enchantment to hold off their board is dangerous for control in this meta (for the same reason, Moat/Bridge/Energy Field are less reliable right now). Opponents could also profit off triggers when their permanents return: Stoneforge, Charming Prince, Baleful Strix, Abundant Growth, Elvish Visionary, etc. Or they may run multiple creatures over 2 mana (Goblins, D&T, Maverick).

Maybe Lockdown is still best main but it would be good to have some other answer in the SB.

ETutor is another way you could have access to strong tools (Lockdown, Court) while only running 1 copy. Plus ETutor improves your access to SB cards.

I like the 2 cmc spells in the sideboard idea. It’s likely for the opponent to bring in enchantment removal which really hurts vs e-tutor. Third path into hymn is strong but in g1s we can’t afford to fetch BB. I put 2 verdicts in the sideboard then. The etutor plan also has anti-synergy with lockdown. Other sideboard instants added were fracture and surgical.

Ending was trimmed for IoK since it’s role is covered by lockdown/Kaya somewhat. Also, we had too much removal main to have more removal like verdict in the sideboard. I shifted a few things around to better support sevinnes.

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

//Sideboard: 14
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Fracture
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Supreme Verdict

3 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strands
    4 Prismatic Vista
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp

//Spells: 28
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Prismatic Ending
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Sevinne’s Reclamation

//Planeswalkers: 5
    2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

//Enchantments: 20
    4 Omen of the Sea
    4 Trial of Ambition
    3 Founding the Third Path
    4 Estrid’s Invocation
    3 Temporary Lockdown
    2 Court of Grace

Sep 2011

ThrabenU played a version of this deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCoku6sa5NY

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

//Spells: 25
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Prismatic Ending
    2 Preordain
    3 Terminus

//Artifacts: 4
    4 Staff of the Storyteller

//Creatures: 4
    4 Baleful Strix

//Enchantments: 12
    4 Omen of the Sea
    4 Trial of Ambition
    2 Court of Grace
    2 Moat

//Planeswalkers: 6
    4 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Tundra
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Raffine's Tower
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp

2 Force of Negation
    2 Sheoldred's Edict
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Energy Flux
    2 Stony Silence
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Moat

Staff of the Storyteller could be a big boost to this archetype. It blinks well.

I don't love the manabase. Prismatic Vista seems important to get basics. Timeless Dragon could help fix WW too.

Maindeck Moat also seems bad when some of the most threatening creatures in the format are: DRC, Murktide, Marit Lage, Emrakul, Griselbrand, Atraxa, Delver, Brazen Borrower.... is there anything big that doesn't fly?
    Probably need to cut 2 Moat 2 Preordain for 4 Thoughtseize to have enough game against noncreature decks.

I think I would play it like this -->

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad

//Spells: 27
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Prismatic Ending
    3 Terminus

//Creatures: 4
    4 Baleful Strix

//Artifacts: 4
    4 Staff of the Storyteller

//Enchantments: 10
    4 Omen of the Sea
    4 Trial of Ambition
    2 Court of Grace

//Planeswalkers: 6
    4 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Raffine's Tower
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp

2 Force of Negation
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Energy Flux
    2 Fracture
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Meddling Mage
    Last edited by FTW; 06-23-2023 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Maindeck Moat also seems bad when some of the most threatening creatures in the format are: DRC, Murktide, Marit Lage, Emrakul, Griselbrand, Atraxa, Delver, Brazen Borrower.... is there anything big that doesn't fly?
    Some. Urza's Saga tokens, Uro, Kappa Cannoneer, Hogaak, Goblins/Goblin tokens, Sheoldred, Initiative creatures, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Death's Shadow. I'd say Moat is strong against a fair amount of the meta, but there are a lot of common matchups that it does nothing against. I feel like it is a boom or bust card, as it looks from our lists like some decks only run fliers and other decks don't run fliers.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    Some. Urza's Saga tokens, Uro, Kappa Cannoneer, Hogaak, Goblins/Goblin tokens, Sheoldred, Initiative creatures, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Death's Shadow. I'd say Moat is strong against a fair amount of the meta, but there are a lot of common matchups that it does nothing against. I feel like it is a boom or bust card, as it looks from our lists like some decks only run fliers and other decks don't run fliers.
    Good point. It still hits a lot. It's reasonable as a SB card. But is Humility just better, especially since this deck runs a lot of 1/1s? Or Dress Down, which comes out earlier, replaces itself, and can be looped with Hall of Heliod's Generosity? Moat just misses too much. 3 copies (with 2 main) seemed excessive.

The other observation from the video is the deck is just stone cold to fast combo. Boarding in 2 Forces and 2 grave hate into 80 cards isn't enough to win both game 2 and game 3. That's why Reeplcheep's version had maindeck discard. Cutting all the discard left the deck weak to unfair decks. There isn't much space to cram it in: either Baleful Strix or Moat. Strix seems to have more value in more situations.

I’m back here, wasting time on my water breaks. I took an extended break from magic right when
    Temporary Isolation
    Founding of the Third Path

were spoiled. I’m not as interested in tokens since that doesn’t interact well with the opponent, and seems hated out by the orc/orc answers.

I’m excited to brew again by Hopeless Nightmare which finally gives the control a 2nd cmc1 enchantment. Just like sarcomancy, it sorta gives you a cards worth of value if you squint, and then charges up your engine and serras. I tested a version with dress down instead of the third path due to the prismatic ending issue mentioned above. It did have issues with cmc 4 planeswalkers and durdling however.

I want to try alternatives to ending so that I can play hymn + founding. I think fracture is worth considering, as exile and cheap stuff is already well handled by temporary lockdown. Cling and sevinnes play well with founding and give more outlets for Serra mana.

4 Founding the Third Path
    4 Trial of Ambition
    2 Temporal Lockdown
    4 Estrid’s Invocation

2 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Sevinne’s Reclamation
    1 Oath of Kaya

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Cling to Dust
    3 Fracture
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Force of Will

3 Serra’s Sanctum
    1 Hall of Heliod
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Delta
    4 Strand
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Snow Swamp
    1 Snow Island
    1 Snow Plains

1 Yorion, the sky Serpent
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Humility
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Graftdiggers Cage
    1 Court of Grace
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Stoney Silence
    4 Enlightened Tutor

Hopefully I managed to keep the uniqueness of the deck. Building up resources/big mana like an enchantress deck, but while interacting. The sideboard is the etutor package + 4 Thoughtseize to be able to bring in it be any deck. Any thoughts or advice? Should the TS be IoK/duress so I can bring it in vs delver/burn?

Sep 2011

This looks like a good deck for Court of Ardenvale, especially a control build. Sevinne on a white enchantment, with Monarch draw.

If you ever go back to Yorion tokens you may want Staff of the Storyteller. Even though it's not an enchantment, it's an amazing draw engine with the token makers and it blinks well with Aminatou/Yorion.

I saw court. As a grindy return effect I’m worried it is too vulnerable to removal or countermagic compared to sevinnes. You also don’t get the mill value.

Vs court of grace it doesn’t provide an actual wincon or protect the monarch as reliably. But it does go crazier with only 2 activations.
    I was thinking of court of cunning and trying to win with mill. Cheaper and pitches to force, but it gets blasted. Estrids + it should finish games very fast. Is that crazy or genious?

The tokens build would probably drop the enchantment theme and just go tokens + super friends. That might be better at fair games, but it’s both less unique and more durdly. Once your engine is not also interaction, I’m worried that you just become bad enchantress/4c/8cast. It’s hard to make the tokens matter to unfair players as much as exiling all cheap things and mass discard. I’ve tried cabal therapy, jitte, the jitte saga and the cranial playing saga. Maybe I could try opposition?

Sep 2011

I tested Court in Standstill and it proved very strong. I think the format is still sleeping on this card.

If you can even hold the Monarch 1 turn, you draw 2 cards + get 1 returned enchantment while having all mana open to interact and protect the Monarch. If you can use those free resources to hold the fort another turn, the advantage snowballs quickly. I found it more powerful than getting a token or milling. Granted you don't have anything as good as Standstill to return (draw 5 per turn), but the planeswalkers and some enchantments could be strong.

Compared to Court of Cunning, a 4cmc white enchantment doesn't die to Red blast, Abrupt Decay, or Prismatic Ending at 3. It's fairly hard for popular decks like Grixis, UB, artifacts blue, monoblack, and monored to remove. Even Jeskai & Esper lean too hard on Prismatic Ending or bounce. It's only really the green-based decks and 4c/5c that will have many answers to a resolved Court.

I’ll try ardenvale over grace, thanks for the suggestion. In the maindeck, we are looking at a grindy 1 off. I think being able to find reclamation off of founding mill, having a higher floor vs tempo decks, and being pseudo-uncounterable is more important in that role.

Any suggestions for the non hymn 2 cmc spell? The main thing for this card is to hit things that plow and lockdown don’t. The defaults for a normal deck would be prismatic ending, but it non-boes with founding. It also is best against things lockdown already hits and requires a light 4c splash.

I thought of Fracture first as it is best against PWs and saga. It is quite bad vs delver, and you trade exile for instant speed. Vanishing verse, which missed 3feri, comet, saga, artifacts, & that hamster pw, but is better vs most creature decks. Rite of Oblivion has a lot of synergy with my 8 garbage 1cmc permanents. It is the only thing that answers the one ring & it has flashback, but the floor is so low. It also makes serras worse and feels bad against countermagic. Drown in the loch is countermagic with founding synergy, but doesn’t answer anything plow or lockdown misses.

Am I missing anything important for my sideboard?

Yeah I think Hopeless Nightmare is a really huge card for this archetype as well. Is your decklist missing cards? I counted only 71 maindeck and you don't actually include Hopeless Nightmare or very many enchantments to copy

I played court of cunning in estrid before and yes with estrid online it does kill super fast, I think it's the best wincon you can play. 3cmc is great because can return it with Sevinnes Rec as well. The only reason why I wanted to play an additional different wincon was in case of people playing Emrakul in their deck or other archetype that you don't want to mill, but you have Hopeless Nightmare for that (or you can play 1 copy of a token generator or something, if you really want). Not only do some people have emrakul in maindeck from SNT or whatever but it's not uncommon for some decks to play 1 in SB as a plan vs Painter

Court of Ardenvale on the other hand I suspect might be winmore, like reading the described scenario returning standstill is so funny to me. Do you really need your control deck to play 2WW card that donates monarch if you are behind on board to return 1U enchantment that also donates opp 3 cards if you are behind on board. Obv in situation where you are slightly ahead or opponent can't interact with it then it's insane value but I don't think it's correct to build a deck in such a polarizing way.

I would question the underlying assumption that the deck needs to be built with Founding Third Path, you might be able to get away with just playing more generic/non-synergy interaction (Prismatic Ending / Thoughtseize / FoN / etc) and then if you want to keep the density of card advantage / grindy options high then add some Saurons Ransom or something. This deck (Esper Yorion Estrids) is also potentially a very strong starting point for becoming 4c Beans but no idea if the mana can work or you can fit everything

4 Abundant Growth
    4 Up the Beanstalk
    4 Estrids Invocation
    X Forces
    X Blue cards (much easier now with Lorien Revealed to have enough blue cards to support a ton of forces in clunky Yorion decks while helping with the multicolour mana requirements and triggering beans)
    etc

It also seems odd to me that you built the manabase with 0 prismatic vistas
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 09-20-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Court of Ardenvale on the other hand I suspect might be winmore, like reading the described scenario returning standstill is so funny to me. Do you really need your control deck to play 2WW card that donates monarch if you are behind on board to return 1U enchantment that also donates opp 3 cards if you are behind on board. Obv in situation where you are slightly ahead or opponent can't interact with it then it's insane value but I don't think it's correct to build a deck in such a polarizing way.
    That's not the only thing to return. That's just an example of one target you can get as an "I win" button if you've stabilized the game at a neutral position. Control does need a small number of ways to completely close the door, you can't just bank on endless 1-for-1 and 2-for-1 attrition. If you're at an empty board, that's a 4cmc to slam to basically say "you can't catch up now" - which is what you want 4cmc plays to do.

In grindier positions, there are other good targets to return: fetchland (ramp), Wasteland, Teferi (bounce something & draw & control the stack), Snapcaster (into removal), other planeswalkers, removal enchantments. I've used it to return Powder Keg multiple times to control small creatures and artifacts. Even if you lose Monarch, the failcase still returns the card to your hand. So if you're permanent-based control, you are guaranteed to get back something useful (hand or play) even if they steal the Monarch. It depends how many interactive enchantments you have to return though.

Thread Information