Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumbleberry Pie

Sep 2011

Re: Bumbleberry Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    The problem I need solving though is that the token build has trouble with blue count.
    How high a blue count do you need? Auto-include blue cards are
    Force of Will
    Force of Negation
    Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Estrid's Invocation
    Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    Yorion, Sky Nomad

That's already about 24 cards and one of them puts itself in your hand.

The next best blue enchantments are probably
    Shark Typhoon (both modes work with your deck)
    Spreading Seas (draw engine + land hate)
    Detention Sphere (Cast Out cycles, but this costs less, is blue, and can hit multiples)
    Wizard Class (draw engine + token buff)

Then the next tier down is more questionable conditional value like
    Ominous Seas
    Scuttletide
    Skywise Teachings
    The Raven's Warning

There should be something playable in there. How deep do you need to go?

I think I was having blue troubles since I wasn’t counting yorion, had Prismatic instead of dsphere, and was trying to fit cabal therapy. Here is a build which is focused on the t2 token producer, Serra’s for WW, idol. Wizards mostly for 1 cmc Blue count enchantments. It’s slow but is a divination when flickered. Teferi over Dsphere since it is better vs control and combo.

4 Force of Will
    4 Force of Negation
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Paladin Class
    4 Sarcomancy
    2 Legion’s Landing
    2 Wizard’s Class
    4 On Thin Ice

2 Trial of Ambition
    2 Bitterblossom
    3 Idol of Oblivion

3 History of Benalia
    4 Aminatou, The Fateshifter
    4 Estrid’s Invocation
    2 Teferi, time-Raveler

4 Serra’s Sanctum
    1 Snow Plains
    1 Snow Swamp
    3 Snow Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Prismatic Vista

Sep 2011

Looks good. I think you can cut down copies of Idol, since "2: Do nothing" is not a great card to have and you only have a small number of cards that make tokens. It takes a lucky combination for just the 1st one to cycle, then more to generate value. 1-2 copies?

How's this deck doing? Seems super cool?

Quote Originally Posted by FistaCuffSmith View Post
    How's this deck doing? Seems super cool?
    I have been working on spirits and curses instead to be honest. Prismatic ending does takeaway some of the appeal of being an enchantment based blue deck but i just haven’t played it much.

I think I might proxy this up and try to play it a little bit over webcam. Have any suggestions on sideboard options?

I have theory crafted but I haven’t played it much recently. You should probably just copy what boshnroll did back then?

This spoiler could make the Serra’s sanctum build tick. It is a on theme, 1W, nettlecystPreviously we lacked a good payoff for WW on t2, which is the strength of running a bunch of 1 drop enchantments + sanctum

This gives a consistent really aggressive start:
    T1 sarcomancy/legions landing
    T2 any 1 drop enchantment, Serra’s sanctum, this attack for 4 lifelink or 5.
    T2 0-2 cheap enchantments, estrid/aminatou attack for 10-18.

Prismatic ending is annoying hitting enchantments, but an abundance of spot removal makes this ETB/token focused strategy powerful.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 01-27-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Sep 2011

Michiko really rewards early creatures. Does this want to be even more aggro and less control?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Michiko really rewards early creatures. Does this want to be even more aggro and less control?
    I thought 8 1 drop token makers was already as aggro as I could be. Before I was running 4-6. What were you thinking?

Sep 2011

Well Wizard Class, Omen of the Sea, 3feri all play towards a more control plan. They provide lategame card advantage but don't really backup the early set of bodies or synergize with Michiko.

What about playing more pressure instead? More tokens or creature-enchantments so there are more possible targets.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Well Wizard Class, Omen of the Sea, 3feri all play towards a more control plan. They provide lategame card advantage but don't really backup the early set of bodies or synergize with Michiko.

What about playing more pressure instead? More tokens or creature-enchantments so there are more possible targets.
    Wizard class and omen of the sea were just because the blue count got really low trying to maximize serra's sanctum. They are replacing preordain/ponder so they seem more aggressive than the normal cantrips. Wizard's class could be replaced by warlock class to be a bit more agressive but it seems like my blue count would suffer
    Teferi is more of an engine and helps vs combo, what do you think it should be replaced by? I need some generic interaction without prismatic ending and 3feri synergizes well with all the 1 drop enchantments and history of benalia.

The only more aggressive cards I could add are Myth Realized, Hidden Stockpile and Bitterblossom. Neither of these flicker particularly well or curve well with Serra’s.

Being low to the ground and aggressive is definitely a good idea. It makes michiko and Serra’s better, and the deck already has lots of mana sinks in the late game between paladin class and yorion.

If we cut history for myth realized (better at powering up Serra’s sanctum and taking the buff from michiko), trial for oath of Kaya (i found that with aminatou it offers a ton of reach and stabilization), qnd wizards class for ponder (better at letting us hit land drops) we would end up with something like this that is very aggressive:

4 On Thin Ice
    4 Sarcomancy
    4 Legion’s Landing
    4 Paladin Class
    4 Myth Realized
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder

4 Michiko’s Reign of Truth
    4 Omen of the Sea

2 Oath of Kaya
    3 Teferi, Time Raveler
    3 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    4 Estrid’s Invocation

4 Force of Will
    2 Force of Negation

4 Serra’s Sanctum
    2 Snow Island
    1 Snow Swamp
    3 Snow Plains
    2 Tundra
    2 Scrubland
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Prismatic Vista
    2 Polluted Delta

1 Yorion, the sky serpent
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Rest In Peace
    1 Energy Flux
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Nevermore
    1 Engineered Plague

The new cards aren’t as good at being copied with estrids, but should make the beatdown plan A more consistent. And then plan B would be to resolve estrids or aminatou to reload, protected by paladin class & 3feri. Plan C is cast yorion or tick up paladin class to get over the finish line with a final burst of value. The previous list was probably too much plan B, not enough plan A. Estrids copying omen/sarcomancy is still very good. And with more creatures, estrid plus michiko should just one shot people (I believe two instances should stack?)

The premise of why this deck could be good is that it is a UWx deck that gets to play 4 cloudpost level lands. AFAIK no one has gotten brainstorm to work in cradle decks. We are doing similar things to the 8cast decks; a bit slower but more difficult to hate out and more interactive.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 01-28-2022 at 03:05 PM.

I goldfished a few times. Sequencing is difficult since you don’t have any 1 mana blue enchantments and on thin ice wants basics. Trying to turn on Serra’s leaves you with not enough non-white sources. It is possible is should play a few dimir signet. It would be a payoff for 2 white mana early, and lets you turn the white mana into blue and black later.

4 myth was too many, I should probably trim to 2 and play 4 ponder.

This could be the third “aggressive” one drop we need. Pretty marginal value to blink, but it is evasive once it finally flips. It being black one drop is really nice for curving with sarcomancy off of a snow basic.

Edit: image isn’t working. It’s a saga that drains for 1 twice and then flips into a 2/2 menace for B.

Sep 2011

Oh, you're still playing an 80-card Yorion build. Then 4 Brainstorm 4 Ponder to avoid issues with mana and sequencing.

Hidden Stockpile works well with flicker. Flickering anything (including Stockpile) sets off the Revolt trigger. Fetches and token death also trigger Revolt.

Oath of Gideon? It's a bad History of Benalia, but it does give your planeswalkers extra loyalty.

What about enchantment-creatures?

Brain Maggot is both a creature and disruption and can work well with flicker.

Sythis, Harvest's Hand would be ideal but is off color

Riptide Chimera is another "flicker" effect that happens to have a 3/4 flying body. Convenient size in a meta with 3/x flyers and 3/4 reach creatures, but maybe too expensive.

Daxos, Blessed by the Sun? Underworld Coinsmith? Heliod, Sun-Crowned? Aphemia, the Cacophony? Alseid of Life's Bounty?

Edit: I see you cut History of Benalia?

I am worried about playing too many enchantment creatures since they would usually expose your estrids invocation to swords to Plowshares. They also usually have less good etb effects, and so if they get hit by ending it is less of a card advantage gain. The premise of the deck is that when all your cards make 2 permanents, removal.dec is going to have trouble. If they ending the sarcomancy they still are getting hit by the dude, and if they ending the dude you copy it with estrids and make a new one.

History of Benalia is the strongest target, but the deck already has a ton of mana sink (Paladin class, yorion, legion’s landing, omen of the sea) . I think yorion is essential for Serra’s sanctum build since it is such a good payoff for lots of white mana. I am worried playing 4 of a 3 cmc permanent hoping to untap and play another 3 cmc permanent might be win more. I also wanted to lower my curve as much as possible to turn on Serra’s sanctum. The 1 cmc enchantments are all non-blue so I had to cut some non-blue card. Maybe I should play 2 though.

I liked the reach of oath of Kaya which was in the history of benalia slot, but this probably makes path unnecessary. I like hidden stockpile since it has extra synergy with michikoro as the tokens are artifacts. But there is only so much room for non-blue token generators >1 cmc, and history is stronger with Serra’s sanctum and estrids.

Draft:

4 On Thin Ice
    4 Sarcomancy
    4 Legion’s Landing
    4 Paladin Class
    4 Okina Reckoner Raid
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Michiko’s Reign of Truth
    2 Trial of Ambition
    2 Omen of the Sea

2 History of Benalia
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    2 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
    4 Estrid’s Invocation

4 Force of Will
    2 Force of Negation

4 Serra’s Sanctum
    2 Snow Island
    1 Snow Swamp
    1 Snow Plains
    2 Tundra
    2 Scrubland
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Prismatic Vista
    4 Polluted Delta

1 Yorion, the sky serpent
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Rest In Peace
    1 Energy Flux
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Damping Sphere
    1 Nevermore
    1 Engineered Plague
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-02-2022 at 10:00 AM. Reason: The Deck was a bit light on black sources

I ran this through 2 leagues. I didn’t do particularly well but the deck had some absurd highs like killing someone from 18 with 2 2/2 vampires in one shot.

Props:

Michiko was suitably insane when it had a creature to target. The aforementioned one shot was estrids etb copy michiko targeting one vampire, both estrid and the OG michiko part 2s trigger, use Serra’s sanctum to level up paladin class to level 3, attack with a 11/11 double strike lifelink vampire and a 6/6 lifelink vampire.

Serra’s sanctum combined with impactful mana sinks like yorion and paladin class was very good and worth the deckbiilding contraints. Paying 8 mana on t5 to add it and cast the sky noodle in one turn (making 2 zombies, a vampire, making op sac a creature and preordaining) felt like cheating.

History is enough better with flickers than the 1 cmc enchantments that I want at least 3

The deck was as good vs spot removal as I predicted.

Etutor for energy flux vs 8cast.

Slops:

I felt a tiny bit short on removal.

Okina gang was good at enabling Serra’s sanctum but was too bad as a creature for michiko and too weak of an ETB for Estrid's. I need to replace it with a 1 cmc enchantment that is either a better creature (Gnarled Scar-Hide or Alseid of Life’s Bounty?) or a better ETB (warlock class?) instead of doing both things poorly. Edit: or go up the curve for bitterblossom/Spirited Companion?

Land sequencing is a bit awkward at first and needs tuning.

The unfair matchups were pretty bad but perhaps I just need to refine the etutor package.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-14-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Thread Information