Thread: Hullbreacher + Dredge

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Hullbreacher + Dredge

I'm about 95% sure I know how this works, but I know it will come up at some point so I want to be ready for it.

Hullbreacher has a triggered replacement effect where Hullbreacher's controller gets treasure tokens instead of the opponent drawing additional cards in a turn. If an opponent cycles a Street Wraith or plays a Faithless Looting and they are playing Dredge, it is more than likely they will use the dredge ability's replacement effect and dredge instead. From what I understand by reading the cards, they will still get to dredge because they are replacing the draw effect with dredging, so no actual cards would be drawn, Hullbreacher's controller *does not* get treasure tokens, dredging happens as usual.

Is this correct?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Hullbreacher + Dredge

Yes.

The controller of the action being replaced chooses which replacement effect to apply.
    In your case a choice between a Dredge replacement or a Hullbreacher replacement.
    I can see no strategic reason why they would choose your replacement effect, but it's their choice.

Bottom line is Chains of Mephistopheles is a bad sideboard option against Dredge
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Hullbreacher + Dredge

Big thanks!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information