Thread: Mono Red Welder Stax

Threaded View

Mono Red Welder Stax

Hi guys! Okay, this deck is actually a beast! You have most likely seen my other Welder and Tubbies thread. I never tested that deck after goldfishing a thousand times, because the Stax build is absolutely sooooooo much better.

I mostly play with my buddy Schlieb, and we play paper Magic so we haven't taken this to an online event however we have a nice chunk of the top decks in the gauntlet for testing. We played 25 games in around 7 hours. We will soon be testing this against Esper Vial, Death and Taxes, Goblins, Elves, and Eldrazi.

Keep in mind, that for testing purposes we were not using sideboards and also keep in mind that this deck has not been tuned. After playing this list I have found that a couple of cards need the axe and perhaps I should be running at least one more land.

Here's the results:

Welder Stax vs. Sharkstill (with Replenish, Court of Grace and Moat, so many builds of this deck)
    2 - 1

Welder Stax vs. Reanimator
    1 - 2

Welder Stax vs. Burn
    2 - 1

Welder Stax vs. Hogaack
    2 -1

Welder Stax vs. BUG Delver (Threshold) This match up was really good so we played 9 games. Keep in mind I placed 1st with this Delver list at a small tournament a little over a year ago.
    5 - 4

Welder Stax vs. Death's Shadow
    2 - 0

Welder Stax vs. Doomsday (Thassa) I'm pretty certain I should have won both of these games. At this point, my brain wasn't working because we had been playing all day but also I kept bad hands.
    0 - 2

Here's the exact list I was playing:

MONO RED WELDER STAX: 60 Cards

Welders:
    4x Goblin Welder
    4x Goblin Engineer

Lock Down:
    3x Chalice of the Void
    4x Smokestack
    3x Lodestone Golem
    3x Sphere of Resistance
    3x Tangle Wire
    1x Trinisphere

Utility:
    3x Servo Schematic
    1x Ichor Wellspring
    1x Aeolipile
    1x Meteor Golem
    4x Faithless Looting

0cc: This deck needs free artifacts to not only to activate Opal but also to swap artifacts in and out of the graveyard with Welders. Keep in mind Chalice for zero bumps the 0cc slot up to 8 cards.
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    4x Mox Opal

4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    6x Mountain

A few things to note after playing this deck.

Meteor Golem:
    I only used Meteor Golem a few times. FYI, Meteor Golem is better than Spine of Ish Sah because it doesn't go back to your hand. You want it to keep going back to the yard so that you can recur it with Goblin Welder. Big expensive bombs such as this and Possessed Portal (which I chose not to run) just sit in your hand because they're too expensive to cast. Otherwise you need Faithless Looting or Goblin Engineer to get them in the yard. I hated drawing this card.

Aeolipile:
    That being said, and I know it looks really weird here, I wanted to test Aeolipile for recurring weenie removal and it was actually really useful. Another card I wanted to test in this slot is Perilous Myr. Not sure which is better because I haven't tested Myr. The fact that I could actually cast Aeolipile made a huge difference compared to Meteor Golem. This came in handy on dozens of occasions. Plus it can tap to Tangle Wire and or be sacked to Smokestack. The downside is that when swapping this in and out with Welder (because it sacs to itself) is that when swapping it in and out with Welder you actually lose an artifact every other turn. The advantage of Perilous Myr is that A). It can block. And then do two more damage. B). And more importantly, it doesn't sac to itself. Thus you don't lose an artifact (permanent) every other turn but you NEED Welder to sac it.

Servo Schematic:
    Okay this card is amazing here. It gives you extra permanents to not only tap to Tangle Wire but also for sacking to Smokestack. Plus with Welder recurring it you get TONS of tokens. Ichor Wellspring came in super handy here as well and was often tutored up with Goblin Engineer when I needed a card draw engine.

Karn:
    You're probably wondering why Karn, the Great Creator isn't in this deck. After goldfishing and playing there is no room. It is too slow and there's already too many more important 4 drops. You really want to get your lock in as fast as possible.

Blood Moon:
    This card should likely and or probably be in the deck but I wanted to test first just to see how the deck functions without it. Also, the deck is tight on space. Surprisingly I was actually kicking ass without it.

Chalice of the Void:
    I know this is a nombo with Goblin Welder and Faithless Looting but after testing, it was one of my all star card choices. Not only can you drop it for zero (the deck needs zero drops for sacking to Welders) it obviously stops so many decks all by itself. The nombo apsect you can get around easily. A). When it is set at 1 you can cast Faithless, let it be countered and then flash it back. B). With Welder you either sac it to Goblin Engineer or push it through using Cavern of Souls' ability. This being said, I want to cut Tormod's Crypt for this 0cc slot.

Tangle Wire:
    Another card that looks weird here. This card is crucial!! It won me a ton of games. The fact that it creates tempo and that you can constantly reset it's counters with Welder is amazing. Also other weird tricks with multiple Welders such as sacking it at the end of your opponent's turn so that you have untapped permanents during your next turn.

Crucible of Worlds with Wasteland. There's not a whole lot of room to fit this but I included a list below that I will be testing.

Two updates that I'm considering.

Welder Stax 1.5 (The Blood Moon build that needs at least one more Blood Moon) I just copy and pasted this from my Tapped Out account to save time. Sorry, it's not neatly organized like my first list. The only difference from the original list is:

-1x Tormod's Crypt +1x Chalice of the Void

-1x Meteor Golem +1x Blood Moon

-1x Sphere of Resistance +1x Cavern of Souls

Artifact (23)

1x Aeolipile
    4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Ichor Wellspring
    4x Mox Opal
    3x Servo Schematic
    4x Smokestack
    2x Sphere of Resistance
    3x Tangle Wire
    1x Trinisphere

Land (21)

4x Ancient Tomb
    3x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    6x Mountain

Creature (11)

4x Goblin Engineer
    4x Goblin Welder
    3x Lodestone Golem

Sorcery (4)

4x Faithless Looting

Enchantment (1)

1x Blood Moon

Welder Stax 1.75 (The Crucible of Worlds build) This list is a tweak from Welder 1.5 and boasts more land. The only difference is:

-1x Mox Opal +1x Crucible

-1x Cavern -1x Blood Moon +2x Wasteland

Here it is:
    1x Aeolipile
    4x Chalice of the Void
    1x Crucible of Worlds
    1x Ichor Wellspring
    3x Mox Opal
    3x Servo Schematic
    4x Smokestack
    2x Sphere of Resistance
    3x Tangle Wire
    1x Trinisphere

Land (22)

4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    6x Mountain
    2x Wasteland

Creature (11)

4x Goblin Engineer
    4x Goblin Welder
    3x Lodestone Golem

Sorcery (4)

4x Faithless Looting

I like this build for several reasons. I like that Crucible offers a soft lock with Wasteland, it recurs lands to continually sac to Smokestack and it allows me to run extra land such as Wastelands and the deck is hungry for land.

CONCLUSION:
    I really feel that this deck is not only already there as it boasts incredible stats against top tier decks, it even has room for improvement. I'm not really sure which tweaks will make it better but it certainly has room for improvement. The main reason i feel that it does so good is the tempo advantage that you get from Welders. Spells that tax such as Sphere of Resistance, Lodestone and Trinisphere are one sided when I can get around them with Welder. Also, Servo Schematic makes this deck possible. The endless permanents it provides are the nail in the coffin when Smokestack or Tangle Wire hit the table and the fact that you can continually swap it in and out of play with Welders for an army makes it critical.
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 01-12-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Thread Information