Thread: BlueStew.net - A Random Blue Midrange Generator

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

BlueStew.net - A Random Blue Midrange Generator

So a user named jfrantz4 posted this site on the Legacy Reddit.

Looks like it always generates something like a 4-5 color Astrolabe deck. I guess the question is, who will be the first to Trophy/win a Challenge with a list from there?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Re: BlueStew.net - A Random Blue Midrange Generator

reminds me of the xanth novels i read decades ago.
    piers anthony was so prolific with the xanth series (very formulaic) that it was said he had some sort of generator that would spew out novels...

Q: What if the program gives me a deck with Worldgorger Dragon or Helm of Obedience?
    A: I don't know what those cards do, recommend just casting Oko/Uro/DHA and taking it from there.
    Absolute gold.

This is brilliant. Probably the best criticism of the current state of MtG I've ever seen. It's actually a pretty artsy form of criticism.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    who will be the first to Trophy/win a Challenge with a list from there?
    We'll never know because you can't tell which is which!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Absolute gold.
    Q: What are you going to do if they ban Astrolabe or Oko or something?
    A: Empires rise and fall, one-mana artifacts may wash out to the sea, but Blue Stew is eternal.

My own pet theory is that Wizards just prints all the broken cards in blue because "that's what Legacy players want, right? Since it's a format dominated by blue..." This is why blue gets pretty much everything in the color pie, even things it 'shouldn't' like aggressive bodies, removal, etc. This is why blue cards generate so much value compared to, say, boros. And this is why in a cycle of potentially broken cards (like the forces) only the blue ones are ever good.

It's not some grand conspiracy of 'ruining a format to push people to standard', it's just very basic, caveman level of reasoning, 'legacy player like blue me print broken blue thing', which happens when you don't really care to engage a community.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    My own pet theory is that Wizards just prints all the broken cards in blue because "that's what Legacy players want, right? Since it's a format dominated by blue..." This is why blue gets pretty much everything in the color pie, even things it 'shouldn't' like aggressive bodies, removal, etc. This is why blue cards generate so much value compared to, say, boros. And this is why in a cycle of potentially broken cards (like the forces) only the blue ones are ever good.

It's not some grand conspiracy of 'ruining a format to push people to standard', it's just very basic, caveman level of reasoning, 'legacy player like blue me print broken blue thing', which happens when you don't really care to engage a community.
    Well, I think it is something even more simple and/or far less nefarious. It's likely, to me, that the problem stems from the fact that in Vintage and Legacy, "mistakes" pile up, where in Standard they eventually cycle out, or in the case of Modern (or Pioneer/Historic) they never were legal. That means at any further mistakes or pushed card just pushes the pile of broken stuff even further in Eternal.

So, I don't really think it is that Wizards caters to Legacy players, in fact, just the opposite, I think they could not care any less about Legacy players. But, where actual Wizard-supported formats lack the historical lineage of Blue mistakes, Wizards does still want Blue to be somewhat not-terrible in the newer formats. So they push Blue cards to make them relevant in Standard/Modern/Pioneer/Historic. As a result, what Eternal players see as OP cards on top of OP cards, the rest of the formats see as somewhat playable new cards (aside clear silly stuff like Oko/Uro).

So I think the answer is really more evidence not of a Blue bias toward Eternal, but a symptom of general power creep and Wizards just trying to keep the colors mostly in line (mostly except White, apparently) in the "newer" formats.

I think it's probably both of these points across different cards with a sizable chunk of just blissful ignorance on how good some of these things will end up being thrown in. Magic is complicated to evaluate, which is why it's fun...right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I think it's probably both of these points across different cards with a sizable chunk of just blissful ignorance on how good some of these things will end up being thrown in. Magic is complicated to evaluate, which is why it's fun...right?
    Indeed, that is a danger in pushing things, because at some point you push a bit too hard a print a mistake. I think that is more likely what happened with Oko and Uro. I think they intended them to be very strong cards but accidentally made them rather OP instead, because the margin is very thin now.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Wizards does still want Blue to be somewhat not-terrible in the newer formats. So they push Blue cards to make them relevant in Standard/Modern/Pioneer/Historic. As a result, what Eternal players see as OP cards on top of OP cards, the rest of the formats see as somewhat playable new cards (aside clear silly stuff like Oko/Uro).
    But this theory doesn't account for the fact that all the 'silliness' is blue. And when it isn't (DRS, Top, W6) it gets banned. When's the last time they ever banned a blue card? Yet we all know how many of them deserve the axe (be it by power-level or by fun-factor, whatever you prefer). But they refrain from it because 'legacy player like blue right?'

It also doesn't account for the presence of broken blue printings outside standard like Hullbreacher or Force of Negation.

mostly except White, apparently
    So true. Compare Hullbreacher and Narset with Mangara and Alms Collector lol. It's as if Wizards said 'fuck you white you got Swords in 1993 that's all you're gonna get'. There's this dude on twitter who scraped top8s and showed with actual numbers what we all knew (1. Blue has been consistently getting all the good stuff, 2. White is crap, 3. Eternal metas are basically cards from 1993-1994 and 2019-2020), it's probably not hard to look it up

Don’t know if this has been posted before, but one for hipster non-blue players was made as well.

https://www.nicfitbrew.net/

Also how do you add a footer to your posts?

I agree with this too, just think it's not the only reason. Wotc's infamous tweet on brainstorm being a pillar of the format wasn't random, it was because people rly like it even though it's obviously on a different power level to everything else in legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

But this theory doesn't account for the fact that all the 'silliness' is blue. And when it isn't (DRS, Top, W6) it gets banned. When's the last time they ever banned a blue card? Yet we all know how many of them deserve the axe (be it by power-level or by fun-factor, whatever you prefer). But they refrain from it because 'legacy player like blue right?'

It also doesn't account for the presence of broken blue printings outside standard like Hullbreacher or Force of Negation.
    I don't know, maybe it is the case that more "silly" stuff ends up in Blue, or maybe not. But what does seem likely to me is that what Blue gets only adds to the silliness of what Blue already had, which is the historical lineage problem all over again, every time. Is Force of Negation so silly? I mean, no doubt it is a good card, but it doesn't propel Blue to dominance in Modern really (it seems to me) because the Blue lineage just doesn't exist there (Force of Will/Daze isn't legal, Ponder/Preordain is banned and so on). On the other hand, is it better than Force of Virtue or Force of Rage, obviously, overtly so.

So, I don't know, I mean, I am willing to admit that no, the 5 colors certainly don't get their fair share of good/great cards evenly. But I think there is a little less Blue bias than we might initially surmise from a strictly Eternal point of view. So, in the end, it likely is a "little of column A and a little of column B" situation, generally. Is there a Blue bias? Probably. Does that really account of all of what we see? Probably not.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

This is amazing

Ran it a few times my favorite was some Dack Fayden/Oko/Punishing Fire mix that looked fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Stryfo: How does this &$@#&^!? program know my most up-to-date 75, card for card??

Yeah, I have been wondering about Hullbreacher. It should have been White or Black (Chains of Mephistopheles). If it had been in either of those colors, and Chains were a 5 dollar card instead of 1400, maybe there would be a reduction in Blue Stew.

In terms of standard, there are 2 factors:

1) They had raised the power level in general way too hard in the last few years
    2) Blue has been shit/non-existent in standard before that time so they overcompensate like always

For eternal, the issue is IMO their definition of the color pie.
    As long as they refuse to have other colors get meaningful stack interaction and card quality, the format will always turn more blue as it matures, like moldy cheese.
    FoN is a necessary card just like FoW to police the format.
    In legacy, most hate bears are too slow so you have to go FoW.
    Cantrips are a balance between improving the "gameplay experience" by having a more consistent deck/not losing to random draws/mulligans and enabling too much nonsense.
    A mistakes accumulate it'll turn for the later.
    The commander sets IMO don't count since they just print anything without a care since it's just commander.
    Nemesis and Flusterstorm come to mind.

It has nothing to do with "stack interaction" and everything to do with the fact that ponder, brainstorm, and preordain let you run a smaller deck and cheat on lands the ways other colors can't.
    It's not force of will but brainstorm making sure I always have force of will

I appreciate the update of banned cards to [REDACTED].

Thread Information