Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Random Standard @ The Source 2021

Re: Random Standard @ The Source 2021

Oops! I just realized that Arcbound Ravager and Arcbound Worker are from Darksteel, not Mirrodin, so they're not legal in this rotation. They played a big role in two of the decks I was building, Mono-Black Affinity and R/b Skeleton Shard. I've removed the illegal deck lists.

Edit: Wow, and I even had Cranial Plating, which is from Fifth Dawn, in my Dark Affinity list and a couple of other drafts (I wanted to put it on Cephalid Constable in an affinity/bounce/black Vise deck). I really need to slow down and pay attention to what sets cards belong to.
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 07-25-2021 at 02:50 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Oops! I just realized that Arcbound Ravager and Arcbound Worker are from Darksteel, not Mirrodin, so they're not legal in this rotation. They played a big role in two of the decks I was building, Mono-Black Affinity and R/b Skeleton Shard. I've removed the illegal deck lists.
    There must be a viable Skeleton Shard deck but maybe it's a more controlling build in blue instead of the aggressive RB stuff (difficult without Arcbounds). You can also abuse Cabal Therapy with value creatures you don't mind sacrificing.

//Spells: 16
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Chainer's Edict
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Fabricate
    2 Syncopate

//Artifacts: 12
    4 Scrabbling Claws
    4 Talisman of Dominance
    2 Skeleton Shard
    1 Crystal Shard
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk

//Artifact Creatures: 17
    4 Myr Retriever
    4 Bottle Gnomes
    4 Solemn Simulacrum
    2 Dross Scorpion
    1 Triskelion
    1 Duplicant
    1 Platinum Angel

//Lands: 25
    1 Sand Silos
    4 Darkwater Catacombs
    14 Swamp
    6 Island

There's a lot of card advantage there through Thirst for Knowledge (pitching an artifact creature or flashback spell that can be used from the graveyard), recursion (retriever, skeleton shard), flashback spells, and value creatures. The deck can attack graveyards and recover from hellbent. Fabricate grabs silver bullets.

Dross Scorpion untaps Skeleton Shard. Lategame for every 3B spent, you can burn Bottle Gnomes to gain 3, stack an untap trigger, and get it back with Shard.

Retreiver + Shard insulate each other from removal and give lategame inevitability. If you crack Disk with both Retriever and Shard out, Retreiver will trigger to return Shard, which can return Retriever to then return more things, so you can eventually loop Disk too.

Thanks, FTW, for keeping my Skeleton Shard hopes alive!

I’m finding that White Weenie is more than just an anti-black meta deck. It has a low curve, perfect mana, flexible removal, and a proactive game plan. The fact that half of its creatures have protection from black is an additional upside in a lot of matchups, but even against against TerraGeddon, where that’s a nonissue, White Weenie does just fine. I just took FTW’s list, swapped out Crusade for Divine Sacrament (because Crusade is now banned across all formats), threw together a sideboard of Scrabbling Claws, Jinxed Choker and CoPs, and it’s doing great.

For the TerraGeddon deck, I think there needs to be a sideboard plan against low-curve decks that don’t mind Geddon and Winter Orb so much. The mana denial is highly effective against control decks, but against aggro there needs to be something to board in. Maybe just a big 5cc value critter, if there is one.

For the Psychatog deck and any other black control deck, I’m convinced you need 4x Chainer’s Edict. It’s the flashback on that card that always wins the topdeck war. Isochron Scepter is weird — when it’s good, it’s great, but quite often it’s bad because the options are too limited in UB. About once per game, that Psychatog deck wishes it could put Chainer’s Edict on Scepter. I don’t know the answer to the dilemma of needing more/better instants and also needing more Chainer’s Edict, but right now aggro is a tough matchup for that Psychatog deck.

Random thought about that black aggro deck that ESG and FTW both posted variants of: You can put Bad Moon in the board against nonblack decks. That card seems worthy of inclusion in the maindeck if it weren’t for all the other black decks running around. Also, Braids, Cabal Minion was banned in Standard at one point IIRC, but it’s legal here. T2 Braids on the play off of a Ritual seems like it could be GG. Is Braids good in this format?

Sep 2011

I’m finding that White Weenie is more than just an anti-black meta deck. It has a low curve, perfect mana, flexible removal, and a proactive game plan. The fact that half of its creatures have protection from black is an additional upside in a lot of matchups, but even against against TerraGeddon, where that’s a nonissue, White Weenie does just fine. I just took FTW’s list, swapped out Crusade for Divine Sacrament (because Crusade is now banned across all formats), threw together a sideboard of Scrabbling Claws, Jinxed Choker and CoPs, and it’s doing great.
    Glad it's performing. White has the best removal (StP, Disenchant), best ramp (Land Tax), and very efficient threats so I thought that deck would have potential. WW was a staple for a long time and most of the key pieces are in this format! (Javelineers, Lions, anthem, knights, StP)

For the TerraGeddon deck, I think there needs to be a sideboard plan against low-curve decks that don’t mind Geddon and Winter Orb so much. The mana denial is highly effective against control decks, but against aggro there needs to be something to board in. Maybe just a big 5cc value critter, if there is one.
    Good point. Against other aggro decks (especially those also running Winter Orbs and Land Tax), TerraGeddon needs to board out all Orbs and some Geddons and needs something else to bring in. The deck needs to make sure it has enough fatties to beat smaller creatures. Cutting Ernhams (4/5) probably hurt against weenie, where you could give Forestwalk to a 1/1 and then attack through 2 knights (5 toughness). I think that's how that deck normally handled matchups where Geddon was bad. Geddon+Orb then ensures opponent can't get anything bigger than Djinn.

I wouldn't go below 6 4-drops main (4 Phantom Centaur + 2 Mystic Enforcer). SB could have Genesis (hardcast as 4/4, or discard to Mongrel for grind). Could also bring in Ernhams and maybe even Serra Angel for evasion.

Random thought about that black aggro deck that ESG and FTW both posted variants of: You can put Bad Moon in the board against nonblack decks. That card seems worthy of inclusion in the maindeck if it weren’t for all the other black decks running around. Also, Braids, Cabal Minion was banned in Standard at one point IIRC, but it’s legal here. T2 Braids on the play off of a Ritual seems like it could be GG. Is Braids good in this format?
    I feared Bad Moon would be a bad meta choice due to how many other decks may be running black creatures. But 4 SB could be good.

Braids is strong but needs support to break the parity. I see two possible directions:
    1) Slow control with recursion elements (Nether Spirit and Crucible of Worlds are out of the format though)
    2) TurboVise deck to punish opponent keeping cards in hand

The last one has better support in this format, but unfortunately opposes running cards like Hymn and Hippie that you would normally want in a Dark Ritual deck.

Recursion could be done through Myr Retriever + Skeleton Shard. Heck, you could just go -2 Syncopate +2 Braids in my above Shard deck.

For the Psychatog deck and any other black control deck, I’m convinced you need 4x Chainer’s Edict. It’s the flashback on that card that always wins the topdeck war. Isochron Scepter is weird — when it’s good, it’s great, but quite often it’s bad because the options are too limited in UB. About once per game, that Psychatog deck wishes it could put Chainer’s Edict on Scepter. I don’t know the answer to the dilemma of needing more/better instants and also needing more Chainer’s Edict, but right now aggro is a tough matchup for that Psychatog deck.
    For Scepter, aside from the usual targets of Counterspell or Ghastly Demise, the idea was to use Cunning Wish to grab a hate spell that blows out that matchup and imprint that.

With multiple Scepters there's some tech like taking Blue Elemental Blast on one and Alter Reality on the 2nd. Then you can counter any colored spells and vindicate any colored permanents. That's all slow and durdly though vs aggro. The deck probably needs Mutilates to keep creatures in check.

Esper colors would be ideal for white's better removal, but the mana is terrible. ESG's Scepter list should be better than mine, especially against aggro, due to StP and Wrath.

I tested Mono-Black Control with two or three Culling Scales in conjunction with Nevinyrral’s Disk. It was pretty devastating. In addition to mopping up creatures and Chrome Moxes, those cards were letting MBC breeze past nasty things like Winter Orb and Lifeforce. If the opponent tries to “play into” Culling Scales to maintain tempo, they wreck themselves, and if they hold back their plays until the Scales expire, their slowness plays into MBC’s hands (that is, into a Mind Sludge). I’ll be keeping Culling Scales in my version of the deck.

Sep 2011

I tested Mono-Black Control with two or three Culling Scales in conjunction with Nevinyrral’s Disk. It was pretty devastating. In addition to mopping up creatures and Chrome Moxes, those cards were letting MBC breeze past nasty things like Winter Orb and Lifeforce. If the opponent tries to “play into” Culling Scales to maintain tempo, they wreck themselves, and if they hold back their plays until the Scales expire, their slowness plays into MBC’s hands (that is, into a Mind Sludge). I’ll be keeping Culling Scales in my version of the deck.
    Good tech to beat the attempts to hate out control with enchantments, artifacts and color hate. What did you cut for it?

A Promise of Power and a Diabolic Tutor, which may or may not be good cuts. I have no experience with the original Odyssey-block MBC, but a few matches against proactive decks in our current rotation led me to feel that MBC was against the ropes a lot, needing help in the pre-Cabal Coffers phase of the game and not in the super-powerful endgame.

I’m excited about this rotation (can you tell?), so it’s been fun to playtest, but my sample size of games is tiny, so take what I say with a large grain of salt :-)

Sep 2011

A Promise of Power and a Diabolic Tutor, which may or may not be good cuts. I have no experience with the original Odyssey-block MBC, but a few matches against proactive decks in our current rotation led me to feel that MBC was against the ropes a lot, needing help in the pre-Cabal Coffers phase of the game and not in the super-powerful endgame.

I’m excited about this rotation (can you tell?), so it’s been fun to playtest, but my sample size of games is tiny, so take what I say with a large grain of salt :-)
    That sounds like a good change if it was struggling with aggressive decks.

The Odyssey block version ran a high curve and 0 Scales. It used only Skeletal Scrying for card draw (Promise is in Mirrodin block). I thought Promise would be an improvement in this meta since it can draw 5 for 5 mana, isn't slowed down by gravehate (Scrying could be easier to hate out), and can Entwined late game as a backup win condition. However Odyssey block didn't have low cmc noncreature threats like Black Vise, The Rack and Winter Orb. Culling Scales is very good against that. Perhaps the endgame is already powerful enough without more card draw.

I thought this rotation would be dry, but it turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected!

*** AUGUST 2021 RANDOM STANDARD @ THE SOURCE ***

(*) Tenth Edition

(*) Urza's Saga
    (*) Urza's Legacy
    (*) Urza's Destiny

(*) Time Spiral (including Timeshifted cards)
    (*) NOT Planar Chaos (in this randomly generated timeline, it has not yet been released)
    (*) NOT Future Sight (in this randomly generated timeline, it has not yet been released)

Banned are the following cards:
    Gaea's Cradle
    Grim Monolith
    Fluctuator
    Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
    Tinker
    Time Spiral
    Tolarian Academy
    Yawgmoth's Bargain
    Yawgmoth's Will

WB Enduring Renewal

\\ 8 Primary component
    4 Academy Rector
    4 Enduring Renewal

\\ 11 Secondary component
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Cathodion
    3 Priest of Gix

\\ 8 Tertiary component
    4 Nantuko Husk
    3 Phyrexian Ghoul
    1 Fallen Ideal

\\ 10 Protection, recursion, utility
    4 Duress
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Unearth

\\ 23 Mana
    2 Mind Stone
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    4 Caves of Koilos
    4 Plains
    4 Swamp
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    2 Gemstone Mine

// 15 Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Defense Grid
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Absolute Law
    1 Worship
    2 Disenchant
    1 Aura of Silence

Fallen Ideal: Can be fetched with Academy Rector, so there are additional virtual copies.

Unearth: Nifty card here. Can be:
    - Recursion for lost combo pieces
    - A Dark Ritual (use a sacrificer creature to sac Cathodion or Priest of Gix, then bring that back with Unearth; you've just cast Dark Ritual)
    - Cycled. The two-mana slot is pretty empty, so look ahead and cycle it proactively if you need to see another card.

Mind Stone: Not too great, the two-mana slot is empty, and this helps you develop faster while still being able to cycle when you're mana flooded.

Flagstones of Trokair: You're not failing to notice anything; there's no synergy within the deck, but I think the format has land destruction.

The deck can goldfish on turn 4, but turn 5 seems to be the average. I'm not sure if that's good, bad or medium in this format. (Probably bad or medium.) It has Duress and Mother of Runes for protection. There's also a lot of redundancy among combo pieces, so even in the face of removal, it's hard not to eventually draw the combo if the game drags on. It can do a certain amount of creature combat, and if the opponent attacks into Academy Rector, they may be speeding up your clock.

Sep 2011

SuiBlack could be good with Dark Ritual, disruption, and all the fast creatures.

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Duress
    4 Distress
    4 Terror

//Creatures: 24
    4 Festering Goblin
    4 Lurking Jackals
    4 Dauthi Slayer
    4 Skittering Skirge
    2 Flesh Reaver
    4 Phyrexian Negator
    2 Lurking Evil

//Lands: 20
    20 Swamp

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Faceless Butcher
    2 Withered Wretch
    2 Planar Void
    2 Deathmark
    2 Cruel Edict
    2 Sudden Spoiling
    2 Phyrexian Reclamation
    1 Loxodon Warhammer

Sangrophage, Plague Sliver and Steel Golem are also options. Reaver might be too suicidal.
    There's some small synergy with playing Lurking enchantments after Skittering Skirge to dodge the sacrifice. Negator can sacrifice Goblin to shrink a blocker, unused Lurking enchantment, Skirge (to allow more creature casts), extra lands, or itself. Negator can also be boarded out vs bad matchups, but it should be very punishing vs combo and control.

There might be a decent Smallpox Rack deck too. I built this around 2-for-1s.

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Duress
    4 Smallpox
    4 Stupor

//Creatures: 15
    4 Ravenous Rats
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    4 Phyrexian Rager
    3 Bone Shredder

//Artifacts: 7
    4 The Rack
    3 Powder Keg

//Enchantments: 2
    2 Phyrexian Reclamation

4 Desert
    16 Swamp

4 Rain of Tears
    3 Planar Void
    2 Deathmark
    2 Faceless Butcher
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Oppression
    1 Persecute
    1 Loxodon Warhammer

This one packs a late game recursion package with Phyrexian Reclamation, which can reuse the ETB creatures and negate the drawback of losing creatures to Smallpox.
    Desert can team up with small bodies to kill bigger attackers.

Welder MUD is also interesting. Even without Academy, Tinker or Grim Monolith.

//Creatures: 13
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Metalworker
    3 Masticore
    1 Stuffy Doll
    1 Platinum Angel

//Spells: 4
    4 Gamble

//Artifacts: 21
    4 Thran Turbine
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Mind Stone
    4 Worn Powerstone
    1 Temporal Aperture
    1 Ring of Gix
    1 Phyrexian Processor
    1 Jayemdae Tome
    1 Memory Jar

//Lands: 22
    4 Desert
    4 Quicksand
    8 Mountain
    3 Ghitu Encampment
    3 Molten Slagheap

3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Defense Grid
    3 Dodecapod
    2 Powder Keg
    2 Earthquake
    1 Feldon's Cane
    1 Karn, Silver Golem

Again, Desert can do some work on defense next to Quicksand & Ghitu Encampment, until the bigger engines are online.
    Thran Turbine mana can be used on Masticore, Aperture, Processor, Tome, Mind Stone, or to charge Slagheap.

Possibly this should just go harder on mana (+4 Thran Dynamo) and become a Wildfire deck to more aggressively lock opponents out of the game.

Alternately the deck could go for fatties like Covetous Dragon and Phyrexian Colossus+Voltaic Key.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-04-2021 at 06:20 PM.

Sep 2011

I wonder if Turbo JarGrim is fast enough to go off before creatures kill it...

//Spells: 18
    4 Gamble
    4 Duress
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Rain of Filth
    4 Windfall

//Enchantments: 4
    4 Megrim

//Artifacts: 14
    4 Lotus Bloom
    4 Chromatic Star
    2 Defense Grid
    4 Memory Jar

//Creatures: 4
    4 Goblin Welder

4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Molten Slagheap
    4 Sulfurous Springs
    3 Underground River
    3 Shivan Reef
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Gemstone Caverns

2 Defense Grid
    2 Distress
    2 Snap
    2 Pyroclasm
    3 Powder Keg
    4 Empty the Warrens
    Last edited by FTW; 08-17-2021 at 02:34 AM.

Re: banning lots of things

Yes. I may have gone overboard. In past rotations I’ve tried to keep the banned list concise, and I thought of some shorter versions of this one. At one point it was just Grim Monolith, Yawgmoth’s Will, and Fluctuator... and I wasn’t even sure if the Fluctuator deck was real. I think the true villains of Urza-block Standard weren’t the engine cards like Memory Jar but rather the fast mana, which mostly wasn’t from the Urza block (Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, Grim Monolith). With those gone, I figured that even Tolarian Academy was safe. Then at the last minute I chickened out and just banned everything.

Next time a lot of bans are on the table, I’m considering temporarily adopting a points system — nothing is banned, some cards cost 1–7 points, and a deck is allowed up to 7 points. That may feel like Vintage, though, with players hoping to draw restricted singleton cards.

Edit: Cool decks, FTW! Funny how Ritual + Specter + Rack is legal again this time. I’m really pleased to see Thran Turbine in a list.
    In the SB of the JarGrim list, Ratchet Bomb is illegal, but you probably just meant Powder Keg like in the other lists.
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 08-04-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Sep 2011

Yes, that was meant to be Powder Keg.

It's funny we have Ritual + Specter + Rack again, all from different printings (Saga, 10th, Timeshifted) instead of 4th edition. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up without Hymn. The deck really wanted another good turn 1 Ritual play. Unfortunately Phyrexian Arena is in 9th but not 10th. Instead I had to go grindier with ETB creatures and Reclamation.

For the artifact deck, I thought of a couple variations but settled on Welder + Metalworker. Voltaic Key seems too weak without Grim Monolith or Mana Vault or Tinker (to get Phyrexian Colossus, which Key untaps). Key works with Thran Dynamo, but that card is a lot worse without sol lands + Mox + Monolith to accelerate it on turn 2. Turn 4 Dynamo + Key seemed too slow to matter. So I tried to make Thran Turbine work instead. It helps pay some of those big activation costs like Phyrexian Processor and Jayemdae Tome, or smaller costs like Mind Stone and Molten Slagheap. Still, I think the current incarnation of that deck is too slow and uninteractive. Aggro and combo will race it. I'll have to come back to it and see if there's a way to speed it up and make it less durdly.

Those explosive Urza's block decks get a lot slower without Tempest block ramp (Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, sol lands) or 5th edition ramp (Mana Vault) or 6th edition (Diamonds, Mirage tutors). Then having more Urza's block ramp knocks them down even more. Since Urza's Block is 3/5 of the legal sets, having those mana engines slowed down really affects the format. Maybe that just means fair aggro and midrange will shine over flashier cards.

Monoblack tribal zombies is a thing.

//Zombies: 24
    4 Festering Goblin
    4 Withered Wretch
    4 Sangrophage
    4 Lord of the Undead
    4 Undead Warchief
    2 Graveborn Muse
    2 Twisted Abomination

//Equipment: 2
    2 Loxodon Warhammer

//Spells: 10
    4 Duress
    3 Terror
    3 Tendrils of Corruption

//Lands: 24
    24 Swamp

2 Planar Void
    2 Phyrexian Reclamation
    2 Eastern Paladin
    2 Deathmark
    3 Cruel Edict
    3 Distress
    1 Sudden Spoiling

If Future Sight was in rotation, we'd have Korlash too.

WR Enduring Renewal

\\ 39 Spells

4 Ornithopter

3 Children of Korlis
    4 Greater Gargadon
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Chromatic Star

4 Mind Stone
    3 Prismatic Lens

4 Cathodion

4 Academy Rector
    3 Phyrexian Processor
    1 Enduring Renewal
    1 Sneak Attack

\\ 21 Lands

4 Battlefield Forge
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Terramorphic Expanse
    4 Plains
    7 Mountain

Here’s my new version of the Enduring Renewal deck. With red instead of black, you get a one-mana sacrifice outlet (Greater Gargadon) instead of three-mana ones (Nantuko Husk and Phyrexian Ghoul). Gargadon doesn’t let you go infinite, but it’s still big. Red also gives Goblin Welder.

There’s also a spiffy combo that’s unique to this format rotation: Children of Korlis and Phyrexian Processor. Pay as much life as you like!

Edit: A card I didn’t see before is Extruder. So it is possible to keep the combo mono-white, but it’s clunky with all the four-drops.

Sep 2011

There are some nice combos there.

I was thinking about Sneak and Show options (Sneak Attack+Show and Tell), but there aren't that many game-winning creatures in the format to justify it.

It's probably better to play Show and Tell with Reanimator (Exhume, Frantic Search) to cheat out creatures you want to see permanently (Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Verdant Force).

Then have Sneak Attack in a separate deck with creatures you only want out for 1 turn (Crater Hellion, Nicol Bolas, Bloodfire Colossus, Bogardan Hellkite, Krosan Cloudscraper). The synergy with Sneak Attack and Greater Gargadon is good too. Sneak Attack + Palinchron + 6 lands is also infinite mana, so there's probably some deck there. There's also a cute trick you can do with Curfew to return the creature after attacking, so Curfew can be used both defensively (remove enemy creature) and to reuse a creature.

EDIT: UB Reanimator

//Spells: 22
    4 Duress
    4 Exhume
    4 Miscalculation
    4 Frantic Search
    4 Show and Tell
    2 Dread Return

//Creatures: 18
    4 Looter Il-Kor
    2 Hidden Horror
    3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    3 Verdant Force
    2 Avatar of Woe
    2 Reya Dawnbringer
    2 Deep-Sea Kraken

4 Underground River
    4 Dreadship Reef
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    5 Swamp
    3 Island
    Last edited by FTW; 08-08-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Sep 2011

There's sort of an Enchantress deck in the format

//Lands: 24
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Brushland
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    6 Forest
    4 Plains
    1 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Phyrexian Tower

//Creatures: 10
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Academy Rector
    2 Stuffy Doll

//Enchantments: 26
    4 Exploration
    4 Fertile Ground
    4 Pacifism
    4 Story Circle
    2 Pariah
    1 Martyr's Cause
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Mobilization
    1 Remembrance
    1 Opalescence
    1 Opal Titan
    2 Worship

1 Absolute Law
    1 Absolute Grace
    1 Enduring Renewal
    2 Multani's Presence
    2 Defense of the Heart
    3 Compost
    3 Aura of Silence
    2 Replenish

It draws towards a lategame Prison from Story Circle, Worship + tokens, or Stuffy Doll + Pariah.

There's a silly combo with Remembrance + Academy Rector where you can get more Rectors (even sacrificing them to Martyr's Cause) to tutor up more silver bullet enchantments, especially Worship + Mobilization.

You could also try aggro-Enchantress with all the Enchantment creatures
    Opal Caryatid
    Hidden Herd
    Hidden Gibbons
    Hidden Guerillas
    Opal Guardian
    Opal Archangel
    Rancor
    Spirit Loop
    Yavimaya Enchantress
    Last edited by FTW; 08-17-2021 at 02:08 AM.

Very creative! I noticed Argothian Enchantress and Serra's Sanctum were in the card pool, but didn't think of a way to make anything of it.

Two decks I came up with:

*** GR Tokens ***
    // 2 Artifact
    2 Loxodon Warhammer

// 28 Creature
    4 Birds of Paradise
    2 Greater Gargadon
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Priest of Titania
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Yavimaya Elder
    3 Deranged Hermit
    3 Siege-Gang Commander

// 5 Enchantment
    3 Fecundity
    2 Pattern of Rebirth

// 1 Instant
    1 Naturalize

// 2 Sorcery
    1 Arc Lightning
    1 Overrun

// 22 Land
    4 Karplusan Forest
    2 Gemstone Mine
    2 Fungal Reaches
    1 Kher Keep
    1 Pendelhaven
    9 Forest
    3 Mountain

// 15 Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Dodecapod
    3 Compost
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Ancient Grudge

This deck aims to establish and exploit numerical superiority.

*** Rebel Academy ***
    // 2 Artifact
    2 Loxodon Warhammer

// 27 Creature
    4 Icatian Javelineers
    4 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
    3 Amrou Scout
    3 Outrider en-Kor
    2 Defiant Vanguard
    3 Academy Rector
    1 Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
    4 Mother of Runes
    3 Serra Avenger

// 5 Enchantment
    1 Glorious Anthem
    1 Opposition
    1 Worship
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Treachery

// 1 Instant
    1 Disenchant

// 25 Land
    4 Adarkar Wastes
    4 Calciform Pools
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    13 Plains

// 11 Sideboard + 4 Empty SB slots
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Rule of Law
    1 Absolute Grace
    1 Absolute Law
    3 Disenchant
    1 Arena

This deck is built around a Rebels theme and an Academy Rector theme. Outriders en-Kor should punch above its weight class in this deck by making combat a headache for the opponent, threatening to redirect damage to Cho-Manno or an Academy Rector.

Edit: I think I'll put some Pithing Needle in the empty sideboard slots of the Rebel Academy deck --- it's already a decent sideboard card, and naming Knight of the Holy Nimbus is so nifty.
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 08-12-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Sep 2011

Nice creature decks.

I was tinkering around with Elves for a bit, but your GR tokens deck looks better. Mono G Elves lacked much interaction with the opponent. Just mana ramp into Deranged Hermit/Thelonite Hermit into Overrun. Linear and uninteractive, losing hard to board wipes.

I didn't realize how many tribal decks would be in this set. Rebels, Zombies, Elves... Time Spiral + 10th edition has a surprising amount of tribal support.

Goblins is there too. Probably splashing green for Fecundity, since Ringleader is not in the format.

//Goblins: 27
    4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Thick-Skinned Goblin
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin King
    1 Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
    3 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Goblin Marshal

//Enchantments: 3
    3 Fecundity

//Spells: 7
    4 Assault // Battery
    2 Incinerate
    1 Arc Lightning

//Lands: 23
    4 Karplusan Forest
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    1 Fungal Reaches
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Forest
    12 Mountain

4 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Naturalize
    2 Ancient Grudge
    3 Guerrilla Tactics
    3 Disorder
    1 Goblin Offensive

Edit: But Elf-Opposition has more interaction

//Elves: 31
    4 Llanowar Elves
    2 Greenseeker
    4 Priest of Titania
    4 Joiner Adept
    4 Multani's Acolyte
    4 Elvish Champion
    3 Thornscape Battlemage
    3 Thelonite Hermit
    3 Deranged Hermit

//Enchantments: 6
    3 Fecundity
    3 Opposition

//Spells: 1
    1 Overrun

//Lands: 22
    1 Pendelhaven
    4 Yavimaya Coast
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    9 Forest

3 Elvish Lyrist
    2 Viridian Shaman
    2 Gaea's Herald
    2 Pendelhaven Elder
    4 Miscalculation
    2 Treachery

The mana's a bit tight with both Rofellos and Cradle banned, but it should still have legs.

Nice, I like the tribal decks.

This rotation seems to have a lot to explore. Perhaps all possible versions of Random Standard do if one has the time and attention. I think it would be great fun to see real matches. (Unfortunately that’s off the table for me for some time yet.)

I was thinking there must be something with Mystical Teachings, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Power Sink, Miscalculation, and storage lands. Likely at least one splash, maybe white for Condemn or green for Mystic Snake. Both colors have Disenchant/Naturalize. I also wonder if Morphling has a home, but in this deck I’d imagine that Teferi steals his thunder.

There must be a Wrath of God control deck. Conceivably it’s the Mystical Teachings deck.

Also, here some nonsense:
    Desert
    Vesuva
    Caltrops
    Angel’s Trumpet
    Noetic Scales
    Stuffy Doll

Thread Information