Thread: Random Standard @ The Source 2021

Threaded View

Sep 2011

Re: Random Standard @ The Source 2021

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    I was thinking there must be something with Mystical Teachings, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Power Sink, Miscalculation, and storage lands. Likely at least one splash, maybe white for Condemn or green for Mystic Snake. Both colors have Disenchant/Naturalize. I also wonder if Morphling has a home, but in this deck I’d imagine that Teferi steals his thunder.

There must be a Wrath of God control deck. Conceivably it’s the Mystical Teachings deck.
    Good question. I was so focused on trying to break Urza's block combo that I missed the obvious UW control. I thought we were missing spot removal and Counterspells, but Condemn and Miscalculation are in the format. Ancestral Vision should give enough raw card draw that any lategame engine should top it off. Mystical Teachings is one option.

//Core Control Shell: 22
    4 Ancestral Vision
    4 Condemn
    4 Telling Time
    4 Miscalculation
    2 Disenchant
    4 Wrath of God

//Teachings Package: 12
    4 Mystical Teachings
    2 Rewind
    2 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
    1 Temporal Isolation
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Cancel
    1 Spell Burst

//Lands: 26
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    4 Adarkar Wastes
    2 Calciform Pools
    2 Dreadship Reef
    1 Swamp
    5 Island
    5 Plains
    1 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Faerie Conclave
    1 Urza's Factory

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Quash
    1 Scour
    1 Tempest of Light
    1 Return to Dust
    1 Annul
    1 Remove Soul
    1 Flashfreeze
    1 Hibernation
    1 Stroke of Genius
    1 Beacon of Immortality
    1 Power Sink
    1 Draining Whelk

This deck plays at instant speed (except for Wrath and Vision). It can play "draw go", hold up counters, and then optimize use of EOT mana with draw spells, Mystical Teachings, cycling, storage lands, and eventually Urza's Factory. Rewind's untap allows you to play Teachings or Teferi afterwards for improved tempo. An eventual lategame win-state is Teferi prison + Spell Burst, which can uncounterably counter all their spells as long as you have a lot of mana built up. If the 2/xs and Teferi beatdown don't get there, postboard you can win by decking (Stroke X=60 or Beacon loop).

Temporal Isolation is a Teachings-tutorable out to cards like Stuffy Doll, which are otherwise very hard to deal with preboard. SB Return to Dust can exile it.

Morphling was rules-banned after they removed damage stacking, so even in Random Standard he won't really play out as Superman anymore. Probably not worth it.

Another option in UW is to play Momentary Blink + Flicker with ETB creatures. Most of the good ETB creatures have Echo, which is a nonbo with blink, so I went with Teachings instead.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-17-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Thread Information