Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Random Standard @ The Source 2021

Re: Random Standard @ The Source 2021

It would be cool to get Sun Titan to recur Necromancy (to reanimate another Sun Titan to recur another Necromancy to ...) — kind of like the Sun Titan + Phantasmal Image interaction in 2012 Standard. I can’t imagine what deck list could consistently “live the dream,” but if you treated that interaction less as a goal and more as a happy byproduct of putting Sun Titan, Grave Titan, Shallow Grave, Necromancy, and Psychatog together, maybe there could be a kind of combo/control Solar Flare deck. For example, [[Shallow Grave -> Sun Titan -> Necromancy -> Grave Titan -> Attack with Sun Titan -> Bring back Psychatog]] is a fun play. Or maybe the first Sun Titan trigger is bringing back Psychatog and that’s how you get the Necromancy or the Grave Titan into the graveyard for that second Sun Titan trigger. There are some interlocking synergies that could lead to eye-popping board states. And there’s always T1 Careful Study T2 Shallow Grave a Titan if speed is what’s needed. That opening easily fends off a T1 6/6 Wurm token (with opp’s hand empty). This seems potentially weaker than Dragon Combo but way more fun.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    It would be cool to get Sun Titan to recur Necromancy (to reanimate another Sun Titan to recur another Necromancy to ...) — kind of like the Sun Titan + Phantasmal Image interaction in 2012 Standard. I can’t imagine what deck list could consistently “live the dream,” but if you treated that interaction less as a goal and more as a happy byproduct of putting Sun Titan, Grave Titan, Shallow Grave, Necromancy, and Psychatog together, maybe there could be a kind of combo/control Solar Flare deck. For example, [[Shallow Grave -> Sun Titan -> Necromancy -> Grave Titan -> Attack with Sun Titan -> Bring back Psychatog]] is a fun play. Or maybe the first Sun Titan trigger is bringing back Psychatog and that’s how you get the Necromancy or the Grave Titan into the graveyard for that second Sun Titan trigger. There are some interlocking synergies that could lead to eye-popping board states. And there’s always T1 Careful Study T2 Shallow Grave a Titan if speed is what’s needed. That opening easily fends off a T1 6/6 Wurm token (with opp’s hand empty). This seems potentially weaker than Dragon Combo but way more fun.
    You could set that up with Buried Alive for Sun Titans. The question is if trying to force that out early is any better than just getting infinite Dragon combo.

If the LED opening is with Arrogant Wurm and Rootwalla instead, it can be done at instant speed to cast Circular Logic at the same time, countering the opponent's turn 1 or turn 2 play (Logic will see the your hand in the graveyard). The Sun Titan line can beat an early 6/6 Wurm token if it doesn't have flying and isn't accompanied by a Rootwalla, or with Deep Analysis in the yard to refuel from hellbent. Overall Dragon should beat more scenarios than Sun Titan does.

The Sun Titan trick could be a good lategame value play in a control deck, like the interaction with Phantasmal Image.

Dragon Reanimator seems quite strong

//Lands: 19
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Undiscovered Paradise
    4 Terramorphic Expanse
    2 Drowned Catacomb
    2 Swamp
    2 Island
    1 Mountain

//Creatures: 9
    4 Putrid Imp
    1 Reckless Embermage
    1 Grave Titan
    3 Worldgorger Dragon

//Enchantment: 4
    4 Necromancy

//Spells: 28
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Careful Study
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Buried Alive
    4 Cunning Wish
    1 Stitch Together

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Volcanic Geyser
    1 Miraculous Recovery
    1 Abeyance
    1 Boomerang
    1 Disenchant
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Doom Blade
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Mana Leak
    1 Circular Logic
    1 Frost Titan
    4 Psychatog
    Last edited by FTW; 04-14-2021 at 03:52 PM.

The format rotates again! This time, as it happens, we're visiting Ravnica.

*** MAY 2021 RANDOM STANDARD @ THE SOURCE ***

(*) Sixth Edition

(*) Ravnica: City of Guilds
    (*) Guildpact
    (*) Dissension

(*) Return to Ravnica
    (*) Gatecrash
    (*) NOT Dragon's Maze (in this randomly generated timeline, it has not yet been released)

Banned: Flash, Vampiric Tutor

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Seems like a slower format overall. Dredge is there, but I don't know if there are payoffs. Ditto for Polymorph. A Doubling Season deck would be possible. UW Control seems strong with Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation. Boros Aggro might have enough to be a contender.

I'll start off with this submission:

MILL

4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Telling Time
    1 Muddle the Mixture
    4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
    2 Mind Grind
    2 Psychic Drain
    4 Counterspell
    2 Meekstone
    4 Devour Flesh
    3 Repeal
    1 Terror
    1 Unsummon
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Simic Signet
    4 Underground River
    4 Watery Grave
    4 Overgrown Tomb
    5 Island
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest

Sideboard:
    4 Pack Rat
    3 Wight of Precinct Six
    4 Chill
    2 Psychic Drain
    2 Power Sink

Thanks, ESG, for making sure we had at least one list for May :-)

*** JUNE 2021 RANDOM STANDARD @ THE SOURCE ***

(*) Fifth Edition

(*) Champions of Kamigawa
    (*) Betrayers of Kamigawa
    (*) Saviors of Kamigawa

(*) Mercadian Masques
    (*) Nemesis
    (*) NOT Prophecy (in this randomly generated timeline, it has not yet been released)

Banned: Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero, Necropotence, Umezawa's Jitte

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I'm gonna have to give a big thumbs down to Kamigawa.

Sep 2011

With Sivvi and Jitte banned, this format looks pretty dull. Two of the most underpowered blocks in Magic history. Fifth edition even includes Homelands cards to top if off!

Green ramp is probably a thing with Sakura-Tribe Elder, Kodama's Reach, Nature's Lore. The format also has Mana Vault and Dark Ritual legal, so the path to victory is probably cheating on mana to be able to cast powerful overcosted things.

Counter Rebels will still be a deck: Brainstorm, Portent and Counterspell are in 5th edition. StP is not though. The UW Rebel deck from the first season is basically still legal, except it would have to run some subpar removal spell, so it is probably still Tier 1.

The most interesting deck to me is UW Stasis, fueled by the control cards in 5th edition and cards like Daze and Thwart in Masques.

//Lands: 23
    4 Cloudcrest Lake
    1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
    13 Island
    3 Plains
    2 Ruins of Trokair

//Enchantments: 10
    3 Brainwash
    4 Stasis
    3 Kismet

//Artifacts: 1
    1 Feldon's Cane

//Spells: 28
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Portent
    4 Gush
    4 Daze
    3 Counterspell
    3 Boomerang
    3 Wrath of God
    3 Power Sink

4 Disenchant
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Drain Power
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Karma
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Island Sanctuary
    1 Meekstone
    1 Ebony Owl Netsuke

I just pretended Kamigawa doesn't exist and built this with 5th edition & Masques (+1 Oboro)

Funny tech here is to Power Sink opponent's good spell, tap them out, then drop Stasis. The tax on Brainwash should accomplish a similar thing, slowing down aggro decks' early attacks and then forcing them to tap out into Stasis. In control mirrors Drain Power can tap them out for Stasis while you get free mana to cast something (like Kismet or a SB wincon) without tapping lands.

Oboro is tech to tap non-Island to pay for Stasis (e.g. tap Plains to return tapped U land to hand and replay untapped).

Remote Farm is tech to power out white cards like Wrath and Kismet early without having to run too many non-U lands in the deck.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-22-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Sep 2011

Monoblack has a lot of potential with the ramp and control pieces.

Pox, Pestilence, Drain Life and Hecatomb are in the format again so some monoblack control deck probably exists.

Monoblack reanimator is also a thing with the option to just hardcast the 7 drop

//Lands: 18
    4 Peat Bog
    4 Ebon Stronghold
    9 Swamp
    1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse

//Ramp: 8
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Mana Vault

//Discard Outlets: 6
    4 Bog Witch
    2 Notorious Assassin

//Reanimation: 7
    4 Animate Dead
    3 Footsteps of the Goryo

//Disruption: 4
    4 Unmask

//Creatures: 17
    4 Nether Shadow
    1 Akuta, Born of Ash
    3 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
    4 Iname, Death Aspect
    3 Kokusho, the Evening Star
    1 Kuro, Pitlord
    1 Iname as One

3 Cranial Extraction
    3 Pox
    2 Gloom
    2 Massacre
    4 Sickening Shoal
    1 Kyoki, Sanity's Eclipse

This deck can power out a 6 drop on turn 2 with regular acceleration, or set up to reanimate something.

Hardcast or reanimated Iname, Death Aspect can tutor any to all of the big creatures to the grave for future reanimation. In particular it can get 4x Nether Shadow and put them below other creatures.

Footsteps is only temporary, a bit awkward, but there are synergies with the creatures.
    Footsteps @ Kokusho = drain 5
    Footsteps @ Kagemaro = wrath opponent's board
    Footsteps @ Kuro = Pay X life: distribute -x/-x to kill opponent's board
    Footsteps @ Iname = permanently reanimate something else, probably Kokusho
    Footsteps @ Pus Kami = Seal of Doom + return one of the 5-6 drops

The big creatures and other extra cards are also good to pitch to Unmask and Sickening Shoal for early game interaction.
    Nether Spirits and Akuta are funny with Pox post-SB.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Nice lists, FTW! I also thought that Mana Vault and Dark Ritual would be a good place to start, and I like anything with Stasis. Minor thing: Unless I’m missing something, Goryo won’t let you discard opp’s hand with Myojin because Myojins only do their thing when hardcast.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Nice lists, FTW! I also thought that Mana Vault and Dark Ritual would be a good place to start, and I like anything with Stasis. Minor thing: Unless I’m missing something, Goryo won’t let you discard opp’s hand with Myojin because Myojins only do their thing when hardcast.
    Good point. I missed that interaction. Too bad, reanimating mass discard seemed powerful. I'll have to replace that slot with something else.

Can you think of a good win condition for Stasis other than decking? The classic Serra Angel isn't an option because the removal in Masques block is too good (Snuff Out!). Millstone requires tapping, no good, and Black Vise wasn't reprinted in 5th. I love that the deck can play like the old school Stasis decks though.

Ebony Owl Netsuke?

I don’t know if it would work as well as Black Vise, since there’s a more stringent requirement to meet before it does anything at all. Owling Mine decks used to pair the Netsuke with Kami of the Crescent Moon.

Edit: How’s this for a deck idea that makes use of Kamigawa and Masques: T1 Forest, T2 Island, a bunch of Skyshroud Cutter, Erayo, Soratami Ascendant. Mana Vault and Daze are also ways of getting the necessary “storm” count.

Edit2: June Random Standard — come for the bad legendary creatures, stay for the prison decks.

4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
    4 Skyshroud Cutter

4 Gush
    4 Daze
    4 Invigorate
    4 Time of Need

4 Mana Vault
    4 Urza's Bauble

Something like this is the beginning of an Erayo soft-lock deck. There are enough cheap cards in the format to ensure that if you draw an Erayo or a Time of Need, you'll quickly get the soft lock in place. (For example, T1 Forest -> Mana Vault; T2 Island, Time of Need, Bauble, Erayo, Invigorate on Erayo.) But how do you put on a clock before the opponent starts casting 2 or more spells per turn? And what's your plan when you don't draw Time or Need or Erayo?

Sep 2011

Erayo's a great idea. Completely missed that. You can gain consistency with cantrips and Gifts Ungiven.

There should be enough free spells in the format. There are more than I realized.

//Blue:
    Daze
    Gush
    Thwart
    Disrupting Shoal
    Misdirection
    Submerge
    Saprazzan Legate

//Green:
    Land Grant
    Skyshroud Cutter
    Vine Dryad
    Invigorate
    Nourishing Shoal
    Reverent Silence
    Rushwood Legate

//Black:
    Unmask
    Snuff Out
    Dark Ritual
    Sickening Shoal
    Massacre
    Delraich
    Deepwood Legate

//Artifact:
    Mana Vault
    Ornithopter
    Urza's Bauble

Green has Time of Need and Sylvan Library to dig, though black offers some top quality disruptive spells and acceleration. I think either UG or UB could work.

To clock them you may need to slow down the opponent with something like Tangle Wire and Winter Orb. That seems even better in the UG "free creatures" version. Green also has both Llanowar Elves and Birds of Paradise for turn 1 acceleration, and there's a good chance they could live when other decks are playing tapped lands on turn 1.

In the UB version, even if you don't maintain a total lock with Erayo, with all the disruptive spells you can probably stop the few things that get through.

Not having duals makes some of the spells awkward so mono U might also be an option. It would need the full set of free counters, maybe Zur's Weirding to oppress their draws, and some resilient win conditions.

Here's the core of an Enduring Ideal deck.

4 Enduring Ideal

\\ Mana
    4 Mana Vault
    4 Remote Farm
    4 Ruins of Trokair
    1 Kor Haven
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

\\ Anti-combat lock
    1 Crackdown
    1 Reverence

\\ Anti-draw lock
    1 Zur's Weirding
    1 Honden of Cleansing Fire

\\ Anti-combat; also win condition after placing anti-draw lock
    1 Island Sanctuary

\\ Misc. control enchantments
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Story Circle
    1 Ghostly Prison

Sep 2011

Island Sanctuary reminds me that turbo fog is viable here. I forgot Ghostly Prison was in that block too.

You're right, this really is a "stay for the prison decks" format.

UW Turbo Fog

//Turbo: 11
    4 Howling Mine
    3 Kami of the Crescent Moon
    3 Indentured Djinn
    1 Feldon's Cane

//Prison: 9
    4 Island Sanctuary
    3 Winter Orb
    2 Ghostly Prison

//Owl: 2
    2 Ebony Owl Netsuke

//Spells: 18
    4 Portent
    4 Counterspell
    3 Daze
    3 Disenchant
    2 Counterspell
    2 Wrath of God
    2 Misdirection

//Lands: 20
    4 Cloudcrest Lake
    3 Remote Farm
    1 Adarkar Wastes
    2 Plains
    10 Island

3 Brainwash
    1 Spiritual Focus
    1 Ivory Crane Netsuke
    1 Kismet
    1 Story Circle
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk
    1 Recall
    1 Zur's Weirding
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Viseling
    1 Disrupting Shoal

Winter Orb should be enough to stop them from playing out their hand and let Owl get in for the kill. If not, you can lock out nonflyers and avoid decking with Island Sanctuary. Djinn does triple duty acting as a win condition, dealing with flyers that get through Island Sanctuary, and turning on Owl. The downside is negated by already running 7 Howling Mines and running Vise effects.

Edit: Added Indentured Djinn as tech and cleaned up the SB.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-23-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Sep 2011

I tried a few UG and UB Erayo brews but kept running into the problem that the pitch cards demanded a high count of both colors while cards like Daze, Cutter and Snuff Out required a high number of on-color basics. It was hard to tie it all together in a cohesive shell that could also smooth the mana, find Erayo, and have win conditions.

The free spells are much easier to support in mono-colored decks. Then I noticed Erayo can flip on either player's turn and counts both players' spells, like Storm. You can just play it as a 1/1 flying, then disrupt the opponent if they try to do things and flip it on their turn. Ninja of the Deep Hours and Tangle Wire+mana denial are good alternate ways to get value from cheap flyers even if you don't flip Erayo.

Mono Blue Erayo Tempo

//Creatures: 20
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Cloud Sprite
    4 Cloudskate
    4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
    4 Ninja of the Deep Hours

//Instants: 18
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Gush
    3 Misdirection
    3 Disrupting Shoal

//Artifacts: 3
    3 Tangle Wire

//Lands: 19
    4 Rishadan Port
    15 Island

3 Winter Orb
    3 Rootwater Thief
    3 Mistblade Shinobi
    2 Submerge
    2 Rishadan Brigand
    2 Nevinyrral's Disk

There's a trick with Cloudskate to ninjitsu it back to hand and recast, avoiding fading. That slot could also be Spiketail Hatchling for more disruption, but the 1/1 is such a slow clock the opponent could just wait it out.

Monoblue struggles with dealing with resolved threats, so the SB attacks different sides of that. Mistblade Shinobi returns early creatures to hand, especially ones cheated out with acceleration of pitch costs. Submerge does the same thing vs Forests and helps flip Erayo. Rootwater Thief attacks control and combo decks with minimal wincons, extracting them from library before they ever hit the board. Winter Orb, combined with Port and Tangle Wire and free counters, help slow down midrange and control decks dependent on big mana. Disk helps against permanent-based prison decks. Brigand serves as a bigger win condition that also fits the disruption angle.

That seems like a sensible take on Erayo. I like the plan of waiting for the opponent to cast a spell, then responding with Brainstorm/Gush/free counters to flip Erayo.

Your list reminded me of the Rishadan pirates (such as the Rishadan Brigand in your SB), which got me wondering about using Ninjutsu to bring them back to your hand, but I think that could be straying into win-more territory unless there's another solid 1-drop besides Mana Vault. (Certainly, T1 Mana Vault -> T2 Rishadan Brigand is a beating.) So then I thought, what's the best 1-drop creature in the format? I don't know if it really is Ramosian Sergeant, but here's what I came up with.

Ideal Rebels
    4 Mana Vault
    4 Adarkar Wastes
    1 Cloudcrest Lake
    1 Eiganjo Castle
    1 Kor Haven
    13 Plains

4 Enduring Ideal
    1 Crackdown
    1 Reverence
    1 Zur's Weirding
    1 Honden of Cleansing Fire
    1 Island Sanctuary
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Story Circle
    1 Ghostly Prison

4 Ramosian Sergeant
    1 Ramosian Lieutenant
    2 Defiant Falcon
    1 Ramosian Captain
    1 Defiant Vanguard
    2 Ramosian Commander
    1 Ramosian Sky Marshal
    1 Jhovall Queen

\\ Flex/misc --- I don't know what's needed, but the prison pieces in this format seem scary
    3 Abolish
    3 Brainwash
    3 Disenchant
    1 Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
    1 Kami of Ancient Law

... So ... the idea is that Enduring Ideal crushes anything if it resolves, but it's hard to get it past countermagic. Enter the Rebels. They make countermagic-wielding opponents sad. And if you've cast Enduring Ideal and somehow your opponent has a way to deal with a key enchantment, a Rebel on the board can make more Rebels without you needing to cast anything. This feels unpolished, but I like the idea of a deck that occasionally slams T1 Mana Vault, T2 Mana Vault -> Enduring Ideal -> win, and can also just outlast you with Rebels. Reverence and Crackdown are both drawback-free. You can even do your Rebel thing behind an Island Sanctuary if you're desperate. Zur's Weirding also has synergy with Rebels, since denying cards to both players becomes very asymmetrical and you can build your board presence to race the opponent.

Edit: Added a bunch of disenchant effects and 2-mana hatebears --- we need protection against prison strategies and need proactive T2 plays, since we're not playing a Counter-Rebels list that hides behind counters in the early game.
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 06-23-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Sep 2011

Yeah, Rebels looks like a strong strategy to attack blue decks. I like combining Rebels and Ideal to pressure the opponent in different ways. You could probably include fewer recruiters and some singleton value rebels like Cho-Manno Revolutionary or Nightwind Glider

The biggest weakness that strategy has is being mana-intensive, so it'll need answers for things like Winter Orb/Rising Waters and Stasis.

Pithing Needle is also in the format, but you can play around it by diversifying recruiters
    Defiant Falcon
    Defiant Vanguard

Edit: I see you modified a bit already. Yeah, adding Falcon and Abolish and Disenchant looks good. Like the old days of magic, maindeck Disenchant should be a thing.

I am updating the thread a bit early because I won't have time July 1. Feel free to post decks in the June format or get a head start on July, as you please.

*** JULY 2021 RANDOM STANDARD @ THE SOURCE ***

(*) Fourth Edition

(*) Fallen Empires

(*) Odyssey
    (*) Torment
    (*) Judgment

(*) Mirrodin
    (*) NOT Darksteel (in this randomly generated timeline, it has not yet been released)
    (*) NOT Fifth Dawn (in this randomly generated timeline, it has not yet been released)

Banned cards: Balance, Channel, Entomb, Mana Vault, Mind Twist, Strip Mine; six cards with the Artifact Land card type (Darksteel Citadel, Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod, Vault of Whispers, Great Furnace, Tree of Tales)

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

You guys got good mileage out of last month's challenge, but I'm much more enamored with this month's.

Gonna start off with Reanimator. Reanimation options are pretty thin, but the creatures are powerful.

4 Animate Dead
    3 Soul Exchange
    3 Zombify
    4 Zombie Infestation
    4 Putrid Imp
    4 Buried Alive
    4 Thirst for Knowledge

3 Iridescent Angel
    2 Phantom Nishoba
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Living Hive
    1 Deep Spawn
    1 Duplicant
    1 Petradon

4 Talisman of Dominance
    12 Swamp
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Tainted Isle
    3 Darkwater Catacombs

Hunting Grounds and Worldgorger Dragon are in this environment, so those are other possible directions to go on a similar theme.

Thread Information