Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Brainstorming] Rogue Stompy / Steal Stompy

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Re: [Brainstorming] Rogue Stompy / Steal Stompy

Some possible SB cards,
    Null Rod
    Ensnaring Bridge (possibly ok vs 20/20 flyers but could hinder Scavenger as well.)
    Surgical Extraction.

Sep 2011

Null Rod or Meltdown seems good. Null Rod has the side effect of neutering Ragavan's treasures without killing enemy Chalice @ 1.

Bridge seems bad with so many creatures, especially Scavenger. 20/20s could be answered by Sudden Edict. Opposition Agent also punishes the search engines (Reclaimer, Crop Rotation, Knight) while Wasteland can punish their first attempt.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Meltdown seems perfect.
    2 copies ?

Leyline of the void wrecks Scavenger and should probably be cut from SB or is there any special reason to keep it in ?

How about this for SB ?

2 [USG#203] Meltdown
    2 [ICE#213] Pyroblast
    1 [4ED#218] Red Elemental Blast
    1 [MH2#100] Sudden Edict
    1 [8ED#178] Blood Moon
    2 [SHM#66] Faerie Macabre
    1 [EMN#93] Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 [MH1#100] Plague Engineer
    2 [MH2#87] Grief
    1 [MOR#60] Earwig Squad

Sep 2011

Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    Leyline of the void wrecks Scavenger and should probably be cut from SB or is there any special reason to keep it in ?
    I started with 2 Faerie + 2 Surgical, then switched the Surgicals to Leyline. The reason being matchups where you want to keep their whole graveyard size small, not just remove a single card (Murktide Regent's delve, DRC, Hogaak, MadVine, GW Depths, Reanimator discarding 2 creatures and then casting non-targetting Exhume, etc). I was concerned Faerie + Surgical wouldn't do enough. But maybe it still beats Leyline anti-synergy.

This deck is pretty great. Fast helm kills eat the fair non-blue decks for lunch. We were the only last 5-0s in the last round of the Swiss and I ended up winning 2-1.

I just really hate mox diamond in a deck with so few lands, but the black count is too sketchy to justify chrome mox.
    I think defence grid, artifact lands and mox opal over swamps, serum powder and mox diamond could be an improvement.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    This deck is pretty great. Fast helm kills eat the fair non-blue decks for lunch. We were the only last 5-0s in the last round of the Swiss and I ended up winning 2-1.

I just really hate mox diamond in a deck with so few lands, but the black count is too sketchy to justify chrome mox.
    I think defence grid, artifact lands and mox opal over swamps, serum powder and mox diamond could be an improvement.
    I like that there's a lot of tech built in with Saga, Karn, Fair and Map tutor packages. Aside from the toolboxes, they all fix the combo too:
    Karn -> Helm
    Saga -> Expedition Map -> Inventors' Fair -> Helm
    Saga -> Cookbook -> return Voidwalker from graveyard
    Maralen -> make them search for an answer for Opposition Agent to prevent lock -> get Helm & win (if they got Force, repeat and they'll run out of blue cards or -4 to death)

Those utility lands and Cookbook must help counteract variance from bad topdecks, something Stompy decks normally struggle with. For example, Ifnir is "Swamp" that uncounterably kills small creatures from fair blue.

Do you think cutting Swamp for Vault of Whispers would work? Basic Swamp has a lot of value not dying to Blood Moon, B2B, Wasteland, Null Rod, Collector Ouphe, Meltdown, etc. Vault walks into a lot of hate. Didn't you try it in Curses and run into that problem?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Do you think cutting Swamp for Vault of Whispers would work? Basic Swamp has a lot of value not dying to Blood Moon, B2B, Wasteland, Null Rod, Collector Ouphe, Meltdown, etc. Vault walks into a lot of hate. Didn't you try it in Curses and run into that problem?
    In curses I can reasonably beat Collector Ouphe and null rod, wheareas he is dead regardless if he can make black or not. 1 drops are also a bit better at turning mox opal than chalice is. But maybe that is not the way and he should just play lotus petal. I just think mox diamond is a terrible card at 26 lands, not to mention 23.

Thread Information