Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So, partial reveal theorycrafting puts BUG Delver at the top of the zerox pile? Ah, legacy, such an interesting format if you like the different flavors of brainstorm blue.
    I didn't say anything about Delver. We'll see how it's going to turn out, but it wouldn't surprise if some variation of Delver comes out on top again due to Magecraft. Because it's always like this - print something stupid, chances are a flavor of Delver becomes one of the (if not THE) top dogs of the formats. Happened plenty of times before, will happen over and over again until they nuke the shell from orbit - something very unlikely to happen.

I mean, yeah they should ban Delver. It has been said again and again that blue should not get the best aggressive creature on top of the best cantrip package and free countermagic. Though I guess Abundant Harvest/Once Upon a Time are WotC's dinky attempts to develop one for green, just like Veil of Summer.

Mar 2007

Not as effective as Harsh Mentor as a hate card, but covers more card types and can be pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    I mean, yeah they should ban Delver. It has been said again and again that blue should not get the best aggressive creature on top of the best cantrip package and free countermagic. Though I guess Abundant Harvest/Once Upon a Time are WotC's dinky attempts to develop one for green, just like Veil of Summer.
    Banning Delver just means that blue takes the best aggressive creatures from other colors, so you are really treating the symptom rather than the potential problem.

(The issue with treating the problem is that it would take at least five or so bans, and then Legacy would be drastically different, but let's leave that conversation for elsewhere.)

I'm fine with blue having access to the best card selection to some extent, as long as it still has to splash to get aggressive. That's what the color pie is about. Banning Delver would slow down blue's clock, make it vulnerable to wasteland as it has to fetch duals to find threats, and generally make the whole tempo deck less of that goodstuff monstrosity people always default to "because it's 50/50 against the field". It would have actual weaknesses, the decks it'd be weak to would in turn fold to other decks, and there wouldn't be a default choice as the meta would ebb and flow according to whatever was dominant previously. That's what metagaming is about.

Yes, I know it wouldn't solve the problem in its entirety but banning that card would at least wipe the format from that blatant middle finger to the color pie and people could at least pretend there still is some point in not playing blue.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

This card is probably going to fit into a bunch of decks, not just combos. Casting this with flusterstorm back-up is going to feel dirty. Even casting a value grapeshot after a cantrip or something (so storm = 2) could put you up ahead. We should watch Magecraft cards because they could synergize well with existing Storm cards, even the ones that don't damage the opponent.
    I could definitely see this as a GSZ target for a way to close games fast. It needs some sort of support where you play several spells in one turn, but this is legacy, we have Dark Ritual and shit to do that. I could see this as being pretty good in BGx Nic Fit, especially considering Cabal Therapy is already an easily doubled spell in that deck. Village Rites, Cabal Therapy, and big mana from Veteran Explorer/Phyrexian Tower could entice NicFit to be lower to the ground and having an emphasis on playing multiple spells a turn rather than playing the biggest green-based threats. Considering this is a 2-mana creature it could also potentially be fast enough to get Nic Fit players above 20 life, which doesn't solve the Depths or Storm matchups but it certainly doesn't hurt. Forget even playing something like Grapeshot in red, we already have Tendrils in black and the mana (usually) to get there.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoi...ering-archaic/

I think that's pretty cool, it basically spell-pierces all countermagic on top of the random value it can make off attempts to remove it and hindering cantrips. 5 colorless isn't that steep a cost when you have sol-lands. Not sure how you can abuse the sorcery side though.

Mar 2007

Interesting design. Playable in blue Stompy decks?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Codie, Vociferous Codex 3
    Legendary Artifact
    You can't cast permanent spells.
    4, T: Add WUBRG. When you cast your next spell this turn, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile an instant or sorcery card with lesser mana value. Until end of turn, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Put each other card exiled this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.

That's a lot of fun!

Make Your Mark (R/W)
    Instant
    Target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. When that creature dies this turn, create a 3/2 red and white Spirit creature token.

Combined with any 1 CMC sac creature that feels like a lot of decent value?

Revel in Silence WW
    Instant
    Your opponents can't cast spells or activate planeswalkers' loyalty abilities this turn.
    Exile Revel in Silence.

Another Silence for Scepter Chant if it wants it.

Baleful Domain 3B
    Instant (R)
    You may pay 1B instead of paying this spell's mana cost.
    If 1B was paid to cast this spell, an opponent draws a card.
    Exile target creature or planeswalker.

2 mana instant creature PW hate seems OK

W
    Creature
    Magecraft - +2/+2 until end of turn.

the 1 mana win-con with Chain of Smog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    W
    Creature
    Magecraft - +2/+2 until end of turn.

the 1 mana win-con with Chain of Smog?

Its like 2x prowess that also triggers on copies!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Something about Codie's quasi-cascade is that it works with 1 CMC spells. So if you untap with it, generate WUBRG, use U to cast a cantrip, you can auto-search for your visions and cast to draw 3 cards. You still have 4 mana and just drew 4. Then if you can untap codie and tap again, its ability should apply again? Anyway to use this to work towards an untap into a win?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post

Its like 2x prowess that also triggers on copies!
    Aside from the obvious combo with Chain of Smog, it seems pretty strong in anything spell-based (Xerox; Burn with a white splash?). There's also green free pump spells + Berserk.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

My best attempt to get an "untap with codie win"

Turn 1 - Sol Land+Accel+Codie
    Turn 2 - Land -> Tap Codie (WUBRG) -> Cantrip (WBRG, draw 1, storm 1) -> Visions (draw 4, storm 2) -> Untap spell (using either W or G, BR(G/W), draw 4, storm 3) -> Accel Spell or exile a spirit Guide (BR(G/W)X, draw 4, storm 4) -> Retap Codie (WUBRG) -> Repeat until you run out of Visions -> Last untap + Accel you should have +10 Storm -> Manamorphose into BB outstanding mana and then tendrils FTW?

So you can have this very stupid pile

8 SOL Land
    6 Lands

4 Dark Ritual
    3 Rite of Flame

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ancestral Vision
    4 Burst of Energy
    4 Emerald Charm
    3 Ponder
    3 Serum Visions
    2 Manamorphose
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Dream's Grip

4 Codie
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox
    2 Elvish Spirit Guide

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/wandering-archaic/

I think that's pretty cool, it basically spell-pierces all countermagic on top of the random value it can make off attempts to remove it and hindering cantrips. 5 colorless isn't that steep a cost when you have sol-lands. Not sure how you can abuse the sorcery side though.
    Does it work with Cloudpost/Urzatron decks?

Mar 2007

What might push Lumimancer actually over the edge might be Flusterstorm. The sheer amount of power it can add to it for a single U is absurd. Unless it's summoning sick, it should be killed on the opponent's turn since you can't risk a counter war when it can attack - or things can get ugly really quickly. Basic example:

OP: Removal spell
    You: Counter (1 trigger)
    OP: Counter
    You: Flusterstorm (4 triggers)

That's already a casual +10 power in a very basic counter war. A second Flusterstorm from you would make it +20 power total.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Magecraft is going to be the worst thing they've done mechanic-wise since the Delve spell era. What the fuck were they thinking when they included copying spells?

Aug 2015
    The woods again

What the hell's a "lumimancer?" Even if it were ok to keep mashing up Latin and Greek words to form ridiculous portmanteaux, wouldn't it be "luminimancer"?

EDIT: I guess they have to get ready for the Warhammer IP somehow. This isn't what I had in mind.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    What the hell's a "lumimancer?" Even if it were ok to keep mashing up Latin and Greek words to form ridiculous portmanteaux, wouldn't it be "luminimancer"?

EDIT: I guess they have to get ready for the Warhammer IP somehow. This isn't what I had in mind.
    A luminarch is a light cleric and a lumimancer is a light wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What might push Lumimancer actually over the edge might be Flusterstorm. The sheer amount of power it can add to it for a single U is absurd. Unless it's summoning sick, it should be killed on the opponent's turn since you can't risk a counter war when it can attack - or things can get ugly really quickly.

Yeah its pretty stuipid. Mutagenic Growth is 4+4 for free and +1 storm.
    Just Gut shot and fluster your own stuff (fluster copies target the original)

Dont even need berserk its already as fast as infect.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Another recently spoiled card, Conspiracy Theorist, 1R, 2/2 creature with "... When you discard 1 or more nonland cards, you may exile one of those cards from your graveyard. If you do, you may cast it until the end of this turn. ..."

Lots of potential synergies for that: Gamble, LED, Hollow One, Faithless Looting, Artificer's Intuition, riddlesmith, and Jeskai Ascendancy come to mind, but there's lots of stuff that loots or uses discard as a cost.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Interesting design. Playable in blue Stompy decks?
    Playable in any blue deck that plays 20+ lands, the value on this card is insane. Only needing a single blue mana in it's cost means it could easily see play in something with as simple as Noble Hierarch included, or doing it on turn 7-8 in the same zone you would normally want to play Entreat the Angels.

I'm trying really hard to avoid saying, grr, the obvious uggghh, I can't do it...ok I have to!

IT ALSO PITCHES TO FORCE OF WILL!

Whew, that was rough...

EDIT: I like it for mono-blue Dreadstill, a deck that naturally wants to play more lands due to Standstill and it rewards having 5 lands in play.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information